Aging Hipster Dragon Dad
The past few months I’ve been running D20 Modern for my friends via Skype, but I’m getting ready to wrap that one up and I’m looking for a new game to run. The problem is I don’t know what I want to run, so I’m looking for suggestions.
- One of my friends may be running a D&D Dark Sun game in the near future, so let’s rule out D&D/Pathfinder for now. I’m not opposed to D&D like systems, just not something that is straight up a D20 derivative.
- I’m burnt out currently on Grimdark fantasy setting, so no Warhammer/Zweiihander, Shadow of the Demon Lord and the like. On similar note, no Warhammer 40k RPGs. Basically any game were the premise is roughly “What horrible thing(s) can we use as an antagonist that would justify the players aligning themselves with an inquisition/figurative nazis/literal nazis?”
- We’re collectively burnt out on Savage Worlds I think. By the same coin, let’s avoid other Omni systems that claim to be able to run everything. Games derived from another game are fine, as long as the mechanics are changed enough to give the game its own unique feel.
- Opinions on World of Darkness/Storyteller system games are divided, so let’s avoid those.
- Nothing with specialized dice, cards, etc. Since we can’t play together due to ongoing pandemic issues, we can’t just borrow what we need from the person who just happens fudge dice, event decks, poker chips with X amount marked as legendary, and so on. Just games that use d4s, d6s, d8s, d10s, d12s, and/or d20s because I know everyone has those.