The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-25-2015, 06:08 PM
Better be the real thing.

I got Cyan's line at first glance, and rather like his new style of diction.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:44 PM

Gau's random palette is certainly something.

In a bizarre twist, he has Terra's skill set and Cyan has Gau's, so I'm still learning rages on the Veldt right now.

I got Stray Cat, so really, I'm good, but I kinda want to get Templar for Fira and auto-Safe status.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:20 AM
That Pokemon Guy

The train was giving a FF7 reference. Can't complain about that.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:11 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

The new script points out the much-poked-fun-of "there's three people and one diving helmet" bit.

Sabin's response to "These rapids are certainly... rapid." Oh, speaking of unnecessary swearing...

Figaro brothers flashback.

Not making it upstairs in time at the opera drops the game's first F-bomb I've seen.

Yay

And yet, Ultros will only "screw" up the opera. How... restrained.

(Dancho is the name given to the Impresario, btw.)
Old 04-26-2015, 06:17 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

This isn't new to BNW, but I've wondered about it for years. This is a cavern carved out of the bedrock by rapid ocean currents, at the bottom of the Serpent Trench, somehow filled with air. Who put a door here?

It's no "licentious howler", but I suppose it'll do.

In a shocking display of not absolutely terrible taste, Sabin says that his ascetic training has made him immune to seduction by licentious howlers. The game doesn't just make a gay joke. So cheers to that.

New boss strategy: Mindblow has replaced Retort; rather than a powerful counterattack it's 500 MP damage. It completely wrecks Kefka's shit in the Narshe battle.

Well, he does. Oh, I missed the screenshot earlier, but when Sabin first meets Banon at the Returner's Hideout, he says "You remind me a lot of Duncan." (Banon and Duncan use the same sprite, remember?)

No, the guy outside still pleads that you heroes take his treasure before the Empire does, so it's not stealing.

It is all consumable crap, however.

Did you know Narshe is the game's equivalent of Canada? Now that I think about it, I don't remember anyone in Narshe telling you to piss off or get fucked or suck shit through a twisty-straw or anything. Maybe they really are more polite than the rest of the world.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:23 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
(Dancho is the name given to the Impresario, btw.)
But..."dancho" means impresario (in the context of an opera house, anyway). Why did they de-translate it?
Old 04-26-2015, 06:33 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Still does piercing damage, and adds the much-loved Seizure status.

Edgar no longer tells his subjects to shut up. (But they don't offer him a discount anymore.)

The Hero Ring in the Dragon Neck house isn't there.

I've also found a "Stat Hat", which okay fine, but come on. One more letter. You couldn't have just called it the "StatiStick"?

8-bit Theatre was so funny you guys

The Chainsaw has been replaced with the Thief Glove, and... like, I ain't even mad. Every monster in Zozo -- now renamed Hobo and Junkie rather than Harvester and Gobbledegook -- is humanoid, and ripe for having its pockets rifled through.

Harvesters have a "Healing Shiv" as their rare steal, a knife that acts like the Heal Rod did previously, because 8-Bit Theatre is so funny you guys. Gigas, formerly HadesGigas (because Woolsey appears to have misread "Hill Gigas" as "Hell Gigas" and needed to censor it), has the Mystery Egg, another undocumented relic. From what I've read it has a few minor effects, one of which is that if your weapon casts a spell, the rate of that proc goes up to 50%. And that seems to be the case, Sabin's auto-casting claws are poisoning and muting and draining left and right.

New boss strategy: In the fight with Dadaluma, Dadaluma won. He's just a speedbump with no bearing on the plot whatsoever! He's not supposed to win! But his overall power is cranked up, he calls for help more often, and his former strategy of drinking a couple potions and casting Safe and Shell is replaced by snapping into a Slim Jim (to restore his HP and set Regen) and then jumping on somebody for a nigh-guaranteed KO.

In the rematch, Edgar stopped jumping and started drilling, and Cyan managed to soak a jump attack without dying, so I had to spend less time on recovery and more time attacking. Sabin resolutely countered Regen by pummeling Dadaluma into seizure. Dadaluma fell in about the same time he does in vanilla FF6. Huh.

Espers teach different spells at overall faster rates, but only certain characters can equip them. Furthermore, each character also has an "esper level", and it is upon gaining these levels that the esper grants its on-level-up stat boosts. Further furthermore, all espers have had their stat boosts swapped around, please look up the printme for details. (You see what I did there? I took a line from a different thing and I referenced it in my writeup here! I'm so funny. I should write game scripts.)

Further further furthermore, only certain characters can equip espers. In my current party, only Sabin can equip Stray, and Stray can only be equipped by Sabin. (Gau can equip Stray too, but he ain't here, and those two are the only people who can.) I'm not sure if I want Sabin to get massive Stamina boosts for the next leg of the game, though, so I take it off him once he learns all his spells.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:41 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Ultros splashes around the opera stage, throwing out movie quotes left and right. Asking for the writers to include iconic lines from theatre and stage plays would be a lot trickier, but still. This is blasphemy! This is madness!

(Madness...?)

Spiraler, aka "the Blitz nobody ever used, ever", has been replaced by Chakra. The input is a reversal of Mantra, and splits Sabin's MP as an everyone-but-him restore in the same way Mantra does HP.

This may be confusing for people who use the updated GBA translation to refer to things, since in Japan "Mantra" was traditional Final Fantasy monk ability "Chakra" all along.

He did, actually -- in this script, Cid is the one who calls Celes a spy first.

Cid talks a lot more in this scene, prompting a comment from Locke.

They not only didn't remove the useless auctions from Jidoor, they added to them. I haven't seen the talking chocobo, but you can now buy "Nothing!" As in, when you open an empty chest and the game tells you "Nothing!"? Yeah. You can buy those here.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:45 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Presumably because nobody ever took it anyway, the Gold Hairpin has been replaced by Goggles. You know where this is going, right?

Yes they do! They prevent Dark status! And you fixed the evade bug so Dark status actually matters now!

Uh huh. When the party reponds with shock that Mog can speak the human's language...

Well, have you? I hadn't, not until YouTube was invented:

Old 04-26-2015, 06:47 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
But..."dancho" means impresario (in the context of an opera house, anyway). Why did they de-translate it?
I didn't know that. The game keeps referring to the guy like Dancho is his name, not his title.

Edit to avoid multiposting: (well, further multiposting)
The auction house seems to have completely replaced the usual Angel Wings/Cherub Down and Cure Ring with "Nothing!"

So they literally could have replaced the entire thing with a guy standing out front who hawks you magicite like the guy does in Tzen. That's all there is, only you have to sit through a ton of useless dialog boxes and make sure you don't accidentally give away 10,000 gil, simply because ho ho ho, there's Nothing you can't buy. (Except you can.)

Last edited by R^2; 04-26-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:22 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
I knew about this line and I'm dreading how else they've re-characterized Setzer.

All this stuff laid out like this paints a bad picture. The jokes and poor-taste stuff is bad and I sigh when they come around, but for me the gameplay changes make this stuff tolerable. Or at least ignorable. Mileage may vary.

I read the early builds of the hack were a lot worse. Just constant cursing and dumb references. Feedback was heavily negative so they toned it way back, but one of the guys wrote a ranty blog post about censorship and delicate constitutions and the high worth of bad language.

They also made a "clean" version of the mod that mocks you for using it.

The guy's a GooberGater I just know it.

It's frustrating. So much of what this hack does clicks hard with me, but I find this guy's personality odious. And that personality is injected into the game. I think the mod has value, but how can you say "this thing's really good just ignore the part where a main character threatens to fuck you with a rake?"
Old 04-26-2015, 07:33 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
I didn't know that. The game keeps referring to the guy like Dancho is his name, not his title.
Because "dancho" is written in katakana, they seem to have assumed it's a proper name. Rookie mistake for sure.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:39 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

They also made a "clean" version of the mod that mocks you for using it.
How bad is it? Because that's the one I was thinking about playing, assuming the gameplay is the same.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:04 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
How bad is it? Because that's the one I was thinking about playing, assuming the gameplay is the same.
I played a bit into it and its a lot less spiteful than I thought it would be based on the moder's comments.

It mostly just replaces cursing with silly phrases.

I guess this what the guy meant when he said it "contains many instances of obviously (and badly) censored dialogue." I was expecting censor bars over normal phrases and a condescending tone. Looks like it's a viable alternative. I kinda wish I had started with it.

However, bad jokes are still present.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Banned

The censored version is so, so much nicer.

I mean, I get to hear that other shit every time I stub my toe. But I never get a paper cut and exclaim, "Great googly-moogly!"

It's novel AND entertaining!
Old 04-26-2015, 09:15 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

It's kind of an amazing indication of how bad his taste is that his attempt to write offensively bad dialogue is really charming, while his attempt to write good dialogue makes me want to throw up in my mouth.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:17 AM
Banned

I would say that the last one would be greatly improved were "Are you all potted up on the WEEDS, son?" substituted for the line in question
Old 04-26-2015, 09:45 AM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
It's kind of an amazing indication of how bad his taste is that his attempt to write offensively bad dialogue is really charming, while his attempt to write good dialogue makes me want to throw up in my mouth.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:04 AM

There's actually a nice story behind the Clean New World version.

Quote:
In addition to cutting back on the amount of swearing in the mod, we also introduced the optional Clean
New World patch that censored it *entirely*. This was done less to appease the vocal minority of players
who seemed to take issue with any degree of swearing whatsoever and more as a personal "thank you" to a
man who contributed a tremendous amount of useful feedback and insight, proclaimed Brave New World to be
a huge improvement to his favorite game in every way, and lamented only that the amount of swearing it
contained rendered it inappropriate to play through with his younger sister. However, unlike the above-
mentioned self-censorship, which we voluntarily implemented as we felt it added much to the story that
had been taken away by liberal amounts of swearing, Clean New World is completely irreverent and silly.
Thus, anyone who's ever played through it solely for its comedic value has but one man to thank.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:00 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Oh, cool, so I'll be playing clean new world!
Old 04-26-2015, 11:39 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
The censored version is so, so much nicer.

I mean, I get to hear that other shit every time I stub my toe. But I never get a paper cut and exclaim, "Great googly-moogly!"

It's novel AND entertaining!
I literally yell out "flippin' pancakes" whenever the situation rises that calls for me to swear a terrible oath
Old 04-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Damn, that's actually a lot fuckin' goddamn better than the shitty piece of ass fuckshit shitass script I'm currently playdamning through.

fuck, shit, cock, ass, titties, boner, bitch, muff, pussy, cunt, butthole, Barbra Streisand!
Old 04-26-2015, 01:39 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

If Clean New World is just a script edit to BNW, there should be no adverse effects to applying it to a ROM that you already have a save file for.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Banned

How is it possible that they think the uncensored version is the one that's not silly, and that the censored one is this dumb and silly thing they made for babies? This dude is a stubborn moron, who sucks at writing. Understanding game balance and design, does not a good writer make.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:05 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Old 04-26-2015, 03:56 PM

I was mentioning this earlier, but the creators know their script is a joke and doesn't avoid feeling like a fan translation. Their intention in a lot of places WAS to avoid that feeling, but they admit as the project progressed they lost that.

Basically, it is easier and more truthful to understand this script as the work they wanted to make, not what they think is the most faithful clean up of the original. They wanted jokes and references, so they added it and didn't remove it after realizing how much it changed the tone. They don't call out the foul language as contributing to the clashing tone (so they probably wouldn't think the language is that bad at all), but knowing everything else it is clear they would have added foul language regardless.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Banned

I don't give a shit if it's faithful to the original script or not. It's still bad writing, even if it's their own original work. Especially because it's their own original work. Having every character say a bunch of swears just because they are grownups is dumb. Characters like Barret and Cid in FF7 swore, but at least they did it because they were angry, not because "lol, I'm allowed to so I will." That's a really immature attitude.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:20 PM

Side note, but it has taken me until my randomizer run to figure out that Shadow's Interceptor counter attacks come from some hidden amount of HP that Interceptor has.

I mean, I don't know the whole formula, but I finally see the correlation between countering all these attacks with some damage, to slowing down/stopping after awhile because Interceptor must be out of HP or something. It's almost like the Golem shield in FF5.

In general, I thought 6 was the first FF to go away from repurposing similar gameplay events/sequences from earlier games in the series, yet I'm noticing some "redone" things from 5, like several of the timed escapes from dungeons where you gotta loot them.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:35 PM

Yeah, it is immature which is why I don't like it.

Maybe I misread your comment. The reason I was interjecting is because maybe the situation is that at this level the creators just find immature things funny, so that's why they wrote it that way. That would be different than them thinking it isn't silly. I don't really know though.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:28 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I guess the ferry into South Figaro is a part of low-level runs, somehow?

While Terra's opening the Sealed Gate, you get drawn into a battle with Kefka. Kefka casts Doom until you hit him a couple times, at which point he calls in his escort guard...

...and stands behind them slinging spells. Beating the two Phalanx makes Kefka flee.

The Imperial banquet is the same, with only minor changes in phrasing.

You get a Black Belt instead of a Charm Bangle for doing everything perfectly, though. I assume Charm Bangle was taken out of the game entirely; Black Belts now increase any natural counterattack rate a character may have and throws in the effect of the Sniper Sight, as well.

Setzer: Still a pottymouth.

Imperial Base: also full of consumables.

Uh huh.

Relm: surprisingly not a pottymouth!

...I spoke too soon.

Tags
ffvi , final fantasy , garden-variety octopus , m-m-m-magic?! , mr. thou , nobuo uematsu , punderstorm , seafood soup , son of a submariner