The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 03-28-2019, 03:26 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I've enjoyed this podcast. It is DELIGHTFULLY RAUNCHY
Having listened to Magic Tavern, I cant say this is the most shocking description.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:20 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I only mentioned it a few posts ago, but Dungeons & Daddies is such a good actual play D&D podcast, you guys.

Still not quite sure what Rons job-class is in the game, besides “clear favorite”.
I hate to repeat myself, but I don’t know if anyone else is listening to this and holy hell, this show... is bizzonkers.

Anyone who had a problem with the railroading in TAZ should listen to this show; the most recent episode went drastically off the rails in the most ridiculous ways imaginable.

I literally, not figuratively, had to stop on my walk to work in order to catch my breath.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:25 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:
Having listened to Magic Tavern, I cant say this is the most shocking description.
Having listened to Campaign, with John Patrick Coan as Tryst Valentine, I also can't say that this is the most shocking description.

Quote:
I hate to repeat myself, but I don’t know if anyone else is listening to this and holy hell, this show... is bizzonkers.

Anyone who had a problem with the railroading in TAZ should listen to this show; the most recent episode went drastically off the rails in the most ridiculous ways imaginable.

I literally, not figuratively, had to stop on my walk to work in order to catch my breath.
I'll check it out! The title sounds like it's kink related, and also in the description they specifically call out that it's not a BDSM podcast, so maybe they should have called it Dungeons & Dads instead?

E- Oh, and lately I've been listening to Conan O'Brien needs a friend. He gets a lot of good guests! Michelle Obama was on last week.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:41 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Having listened to Campaign, with John Patrick Coan as Tryst Valentine, I also can't say that this is the most shocking description.

I'll check it out! The title sounds like it's kink related, and also in the description they specifically call out that it's not a BDSM podcast, so maybe they should have called it Dungeons & Dads instead?.
That is, in fact, a running joke (the full title even is “Dungeons and Daddies: Not a BDSM Podcast”)
Old 04-05-2019, 05:39 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonetrope View Post
Hey Tyrants!!

Shivam guested on my album discussion/criticism podcast Discord & Rhyme for a detour into the Mega Man 2 soundtrack, including a breakdown of the NES sound chip. His contributions are awesome, and I'm really pleased with how the whole thing turned out.

The episode is here, and the show is also available on all the standard podcasty things.
This was great! I'd love to listen to a podcast that savors and analyzes lots more game soundtracks since that was basically the only music I ever listened to. Has anyone done that?
Old 04-06-2019, 06:35 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
This was great! I'd love to listen to a podcast that savors and analyzes lots more game soundtracks since that was basically the only music I ever listened to. Has anyone done that?
I'm not very familiar with the gaming podcast world outside of that one cast by the guy I sourced my clips from, but there seem to be a lot of shows devoted entirely to VGM, so other Tyrants might be able to step in. Thanks for listening!
Old 04-06-2019, 08:44 PM
Cool Guy

Sometimes I get the feeling that Talking Simpsons has guests on because Bob and Henry just want to hang out with them and not that they necessarily have anything insightful to say about the episode or the series in general.

Also, I guess everybody from Laser Time, aside from very rarely Dave Rudden, is simply never going to be on any of their shows anymore?
Old 04-07-2019, 02:43 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Sometimes I get the feeling that Talking Simpsons has guests on because Bob and Henry just want to hang out with them and not that they necessarily have anything insightful to say about the episode or the series in general.
I generally assumed this was the case, with singular exceptions. It's the Simpsons, so everyone has stuff to say about that. Dunno, I don't see a problem with that.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:33 AM
Cool Guy

The latest episode discusses is “Bart Carny”, one of the best latter day episodes, guest starring Jim Varney. The guest, Eric Syzscka from a podcast called We Hate Movies, had barely anything to say about the Ernest character or carnivals. To be fair, I am now interested to listen to the episode of his podcast disccusing The Happy Time Murders, a film that fell into the memory hole so fast Bob had to remind me it existed.

I’m just saying Bret Elston is a guy who knows a lot about Ernest, and is someone Henry has known for years.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:41 PM
It's dog eat dog

I know there are several TMBG fans in these here parts, and I highly recommend the new podcast Don't Let's Start, which is going song by song through their immense catalog (they're on episode 12, and they're about 2/3 through Miscellaneous T). I've been a fan for more than two decades, and I'm learning tons of new things about every single one of their songs. More of them are autobiographical than I realized!
Old 04-07-2019, 04:34 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

My friend's have rebranded and relaunched their old podcast as Tender Bloodsport. It's a competitive live lit show. You should check it out.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:37 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:

Also, I guess everybody from Laser Time, aside from very rarely Dave Rudden, is simply never going to be on any of their shows anymore?
Quote:
I’m just saying Bret Elston is a guy who knows a lot about Ernest, and is someone Henry has known for years.
Laser Time kinda fell apart at the end of 2017 when Chris Antista left San Francisco and moved back to Florida, and there seems to have been a falling-out between him and Bob that's ultimately resulted in the Talking Simspons family of podcasts distancing themselves from any kind of association with Chris.

As for Brett, he went back to work at Capcom and is likely far too busy for podcast shenanigans these days outside of the occasional VGMpire.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:51 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
i'd like to believe that the times i got to guest i brought something interesting to the table.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:04 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
i'd like to believe that the times i got to guest i brought something interesting to the table.
Your episodes were both great and interesting!

(I also think the basic observation is wrong in general. Or maybe it's just that, to the extent that it might be right . . . I don't really care, personally. If they're having a good time talking, it tends to make for a good episode.)
Old 04-09-2019, 06:27 AM
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Your insights into Indian and Indian-American culture, along with the Simpsons’ impact on your and others lives, made the whole episode, whereas some of the other guests seem less about how the show affected them and more like...networking.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:29 AM
That bug is NUTS!

We're trying out that whole "clip 35 seconds from your podcast and put it on youtube with animated text" thing to try and promote Video Death Loop. If you haven't listened, here's a bite sized chunk that goes down eaaaaasy

Old 04-16-2019, 03:37 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
The latest episode discusses is “Bart Carny”, one of the best latter day episodes, guest starring Jim Varney. The guest, Eric Syzscka from a podcast called We Hate Movies, had barely anything to say about the Ernest character or carnivals. To be fair, I am now interested to listen to the episode of his podcast disccusing The Happy Time Murders, a film that fell into the memory hole so fast Bob had to remind me it existed.

By sheer coincidence, the other major Simpsons podcast, Everything’s Coming Up Simpsons also covered that episode this week. They don’t even mention Jim Varney, let alone Ernest.

Though, in their defense, Allie and Julia are also young enough to have missed out on the heights of Ernest-mania.

Kids today.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

I'm listening to the Audio Guide to Babylon 5. It's one of the podcasts where people discuss one episode of the show in one episode of the podcast, doing every episode in chronological order. The main part is spoiler free, but after a clear warning they discuss the episode in the context of the whole show.

It's nothing amazing, but if you like these podcasts that discuss shows by episode and like the show, it is totally worth a listen.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:43 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

I'm listening to Retro Game Audio. Most of the episodes go into lots of technical detail about how NES game music was made. It's especially fun to listen to the evolution of the music from Sunsoft, Konami and Capcom.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:27 AM
till the sheriff stops by

For its 10th anniversary, Comedy Bang Bang just released a two part 10 hour episode. I look forward to it!
Old 04-29-2019, 03:31 AM
Mystery Contraption

I... I can't, Scott.

I just can't!
Old 04-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Slammaster

Pronouns: He, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
We're trying out that whole "clip 35 seconds from your podcast and put it on youtube with animated text" thing to try and promote Video Death Loop. If you haven't listened, here's a bite sized chunk that goes down eaaaaasy
I did that with a whole podcast. It maybe doesn't go down quite as easy, but if you want to hear Matchstick try to wrangle me, Ray Barnholt, Greg Sewart and Austin Walker into staying on topic about the best games for the Sega Genesis, this is the podcast-cum-video for you!

Old 04-29-2019, 10:34 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Just gonna throw out again that Brickroad also posts our very occasional podcast on his YT channel
Old 06-04-2019, 02:28 AM
Mystery Contraption

New season of This Sounds Serious has started!

Ohhhhh Booooooy

Tags
beef-out , podcast , recommendations , the new radio , whats up hot dog