The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Time for singing

Looper was pretty intense and I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I would watch it again. There's one scene in particular that I just can't stop thinking about.

Yech.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Find Your Reason

With its (usually) hokey sci-fi premise, and adding another hokey sci-fi premise on top of it, a name reminiscent of Jumper, a marketing campaign that presented it as a shoot-em-up movie, and an aging Bruce Willis, I really did expect Looper to be a very, very different thing from what I ended up watching. And I was very, very glad that I wasn't just wrong, but pleasantly surprised.

You could say that it threw me for a loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
The one early on? Yeah, that was... different.
I can't think of scenes early on, but there's one in the second act that leads to Bruce Willis leaning against a column in the shade. Yyyyyyep. That one will stay with me too.

(Or maybe I'm just immune to that one scene early on because something very similar happens to a character in another time-travel movie.)
Old 09-29-2012, 09:33 PM
graffiti programmer

Pronouns: he/him

Just got back from Looper. It's good! Near-future dystopia is, generally speaking, my jam, and this satisfied. I loved the understated ways they show the world as having gone to pot (solar panels grafted to currrent-vintage cars), and the way the movie loves to present multiple perspectives on the same scenes (JGL vs. Bruce Willis's perspective on the escape, Cid's first tantrum - is the wind and stuff all in Sara's mind? NOPE. Same with whether or not Sara is Cid's mom, and whether or not JGL is Suzie's boyfriend or just her client.) That sort of ambiguity seems to be a hallmark of what few Rian Johnson things I have seen before (Brick and "51" from last season of Breaking Bad.) I use way too many parentheses.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
You could say that it threw me for a loop.

"It threw me for a loop!"
- Zef

Please make this the movie blurb/tagline.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Time for singing

Quote:
(Or maybe I'm just immune to that one scene early on because something very similar happens to a character in another time-travel movie.)
Which movie?

Last edited by Savathun; 09-29-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
Which movie?
The title of the movie would be a spoiler, so you got it in one, Frequency. I was thinking of the scene where Dennis Quaid blasts the bad guy's hand off with a shotgun in the past "while" his son is fighting the bad guy in the present, and the hand shrivels out of existence.

Last edited by Zef; 09-29-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
The title of the movie would be a spoiler, so you got it in one. I was thinking of the scene where Dennis Quaid blasts the bad guy's hand off with a shotgun in the past "while" his son is fighting the bad guy in the present, and the hand shrivels out of existence.
Oh yeah, way more people need to see that one. It's unfairly obscure.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

Looper. Yes.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:07 AM

All I can think of here.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:33 AM
certified comics master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
All I can think of here.
I'm not the only one!

I will probably see Looper tomorrow though. I know next to nothing about the film. Sounds like I'm in for an experience.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:26 AM
Little Waves

Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon changed my life forever.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:45 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
The title of the movie would be a spoiler, so you got it in one, Frequency. I was thinking of the scene where Dennis Quaid blasts the bad guy's hand off with a shotgun in the past "while" his son is fighting the bad guy in the present, and the hand shrivels out of existence.
Oh yeah! Frequency was good. Looper was great.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:20 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
I often say you can't go wrong with a movie where not just one, but both of the leads have only one name.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
Looper was pretty intense and I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I would watch it again.
They need to make a sequel titled "Yooper", starring Frances McDormand.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:38 PM
concentrate

From Up on Poppy Hill was a great melancholic slice-of-life drama. It was definitely a Ghibli fim despite the lack of fantasy or magic realism elements.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:33 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

Looper really is as awesome as people are saying.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Hotel Transylvania has some nice visual gags, but the story is pretty standard stuff for kids.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:23 PM

I watched Apocalypse Now Redux. That movie is an endurance test on the level of LOTR. The key difference being Apocalypse Now is good.

That whole movie is awesomely surreal. The army lands in an combat zone and television cameras tell them not to look at the camera and to keep moving to make things look real for the TV audience. Recordings about a missing surf board are broadcast from helicopters in a theater of war. Morpheus is gunned down as a message from his mom plays on a tape recorder.

The ending is also amazing. I think Dennis Hopper and Marlon Brando both turn in iconic roles. They are also each on screen for a very short period of time.

I probably watch this movie once a year. Its great. This has always been one of my favorite exchanges:

They told me that you have gone totally insane and that your methods were unsound.
Are my methods unsound?
I don't see any method.

Last edited by Voncaster; 09-30-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Orb Friend

Finally got to tick Emperor's New Groove off my movie list. I'd somehow gone all this time without seeing it, dunno how! It was incredibly silly and bizarre, which I tend to not like in certain movies, but it was very enjoyable here. Nice animation, too.

Last edited by Sheana; 10-01-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Better be the real thing.

Saw a couple films at my film club last night:

Klown (well, Klovn) is an insanely twisted Danish comedy that's apparently based on a Curb Your Enthusiasm-esque TV show. I don't think I've ever had my jaw drop so much in one movie.

Miami Connection is pretty much the platonic ideal of cheesy 80's action flicks. It's got a rock band using Taekwondo against drug dealers and biker ninjas. And singing songs about fighting said ninjas.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Dude what I have been saying for years

Well, whatever. At least now you've seen the light The Glow
Old 09-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana View Post
Finally got to tick [b]Emperor's New Groove[/i] off my movie list. I'd somehow gone all this time without seeing it, dunno how! It was incredibly silly and bizarre, which I tend to not like in certain movies, but it was very enjoyable here. Nice animation, too.
Emperor's New Groove is one of my top 3 Disney movies.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:52 AM
What Time Is It?

If I've never seen Apocalypse Now I should probably just go with the normal one, right?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 AM
concentrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
If I've never seen Apocalypse Now I should probably just go with the normal one, right?
Yeah. Redux adds about 50 minutes to the original cut, which is already two and a half hours long. Redux fleshes out the movie more, but all of the bits that make the movie special are already in the original, IMO.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 AM
What Time Is It?

Speaking of long movies, that reminds me I've been meaning to watch Das Boot for, like, almost ten years.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:51 AM
concentrate

You could have seen the movie in its entirety for almost three times in that period of time!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli T View Post
Yeah. Redux adds about 50 minutes to the original cut, which is already two and a half hours long. Redux fleshes out the movie more, but all of the bits that make the movie special are already in the original, IMO.
I caught Redux in the theaters when it came out, and I remember thinking, "that was kind of cool, and I totally see why they cut those parts out the first time around."

The French plantation sequence, especially, introduces a lot of political and historical folderol that just bogs the movie down.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

So yesterday I saw Looper, and I loved it. Then I went home and re-watched Donnie Darko (I had recently borrowed it from a friend before I had any intention of seeing Looper).

So, first of all, Looper is a wonderful high concept movie in a summer already filled with wonderful high concept movies. John Carter of Mars, Prometheus, Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises had varying levels of success artistically and financially, but they were all movies that tried to do new things and spent absurd amounts of money doing it. This summer has been like if a science fiction anthology had an unlimited budget. And Looper is the best of the bunch. It finds a really wonderful balance between a Minority Report shiny wonderland future and a Blade Runner grimy realistic future.

I remember being obsessed with Donnie Darko when it first came out, but I haven't watched it in at least 5 years. The theatrical version is vastly superior, because it allows the viewer to fill in the blanks. The director's cut removes all of the mystery and is kind of hokey. Either way, Donnie Darko just has one big loop, and it introduces some questionable continuity logic. At the end of the movie Donnie sends a jet engine back in time to land on his house and kill his past self. The problem is that a jet engine lands on his house already at the beginning of the movie, so what changes the loop is not time travel, but Frank not calling him out of bed in the middle of the night. This is backwards in two ways: one is that Frank's actions throughout the movie lead to Donnie both killing Frank and sending the jet engine back in the first place. So there is no explanation for the start of the loop. And the other is that Frank is a ghost before he dies. So presumably Donnie and Frank's loop has been going on for a while (the Jet engine at the start of the movie is from a previous run where Frank presumably also led Donnie to do the same thing), but it's when Frank doesn't act that the loop closes. I think it makes for a really interesting movie, but it's ultimately impossible to square away the logic.

Pretty major Looper spoilers, please don't read if you haven't seen the movie: Looper has some similar issues (also, strangely enough, both movies deal with telekineses). Part of this is explained away by saying that people in the future are terrified of time travel, so they treat it respectfully almost to the point of being illogical. So early on Jeff Daniel's organization does not want to kill Paul Dano's character because it would alter the future too drastically. Instead they scar and mutilate him in order to coerce his future self into cooperating. That's a really clever idea, but they end up doing it so quickly that by the time he races back he is already incredibly crippled. It makes for a visually shocking scene, but it seems like that would alter the future about as much as him being dead would (presumably he stays on life supportso that they can keep the loop going). And while it's interesting to watch his limbs disappear, wouldn't that at some point alter his entire life and his original run in with his younger self?

Next, we see one version of an event where old Joe lives then another where old Joe dies and young Joe goes on to become the old Joe who lives. Why the change? Why was the previous version of Old Joe not able to beat up the mobsters and hit young Joe with a brick? Also, there are some elements like Old Joe's memory of his house changing when he kills the kid that suggest that time is malleable, but then the entire movie leads up to the creation of the kingpin (killing his mother and scarring his chin) that seems to be predetermined until young Joe acts at the end. Does that mean that the events of the movie up to that point don't matter, or that it is predestined that these events happen to the kid? It just seems like there are a lot of time travel ideas taken from other stories that don't all hold up to the same set of logic.

That sounds like I'm complaining a lot I guess, but I really love both movies. I think that an entirely consistent time travel movie would probably make for a pretty boring story, and it's really in messing with the logic that keeps things interesting. So, if you can accept that things don't square away perfectly (see also: Back to the Future, season five of Lost), Looper and Donnie Darko are both amazing and clever. It was really interesting to see them tackle such a similar concept in such different ways.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Find Your Reason

Yes, the primary plot hole of Looper is that, for the most part, it shows changes between the past and future selves as "concurrent," that is, the future is malleable right up until an event occurs and sets it in stone (as Old Joe tried to explain to Young Joe at the diner.) That's fine, it's a different kind of time-travel premise that has been used in many other films before. Therefore, there's no issue with Old Seth being unaffected by Young Seth's mutilation until it happened "in real time" because Young Seth WASN'T mutilated until Old Seth showed up to alter the timeline. However, if this is how the temporal mechanics work, then there should NEVER have been a Rainmaker at all, since that was a "closed loop" that existed before Old Joe created it. It's an ontological paradox/Bootstrap Paradox and it shatters the internal logic of the movie. However, what makes it work thematically is Able's speech at the beginning, where he described "seeing" Child Joe's life unfold, "a bad version of his life," and decided to change that (by giving him a gun and making him a Looper.) Young Joe briefly reminds us of it when he tells Cid about how this event saved his life, and then he himself "sees the bad version" of Cid's life take place and lead to the Rainmaker, so he makes a choice to change that (by turning his gun on himself and deleting his loop.)

So yeah, while we've yet to see an airtight time travel movie, I think the development of that theme salvages even that massive plot hole.

(Alternately, the Rainmaker was always fated to exist because Cid's mother was always fated to die and leave him adrift, and the Joes' intervention only changed the methods. Maybe the mutant vagrant would have killed her, until Young Joe showed up to help? Or another vagrant, if they show up as often as she claims? But that's just speculation, of course.)

And further still, I think the time-travel shenanigans are only secondary to the characterization of the two Joes. Old Joe might seem like a sympathetic figure at first, but I like how the movie portrays his quest to save his wife as selfish and immoral in light of the actions he has to take. And be sure, he wasn't preventing the rise of the Rainmaker to save anyone else BUT his wife, even if he indirectly would have prevented many other deaths. The scene where he kills the first child and is immediately struck with the newly-formed memory of having a kid of his own is tremendously powerful, because he's simultaneously hit with the joy of said memory and the twice-fold devastation of (presumably) losing his child to the gangsters and realizing (since he didn't vanish) what he has just done to an innocent family.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:37 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Yes, I think they did a wonderful job of characterization, especially how Joe seems to think that he has changed a lot more than he actually has. He's extremely critical of his younger self but then goes and acts basically the same.

And I'm fine with the movie not lining up perfectly, since that's notoriously difficult to do and the movie has so many other really good things going for it.
I'll definitely pick up the blu ray and maybe even see it again in theaters if it ends up in the second run theater or the Brew & View.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , rooster cogburn , several live eels , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road