The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-15-2017, 01:42 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

You are totally correct and I've been trying to set aside some time to watch it since it came to Netflix
Old 12-15-2017, 07:27 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Young Guns
Dropped in 1988.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:33 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Dropped in 1988.
It was ahead of its time.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:53 AM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

the paradox of internet's nostalgia: the late 80s are the most 90s thing, as are the early 90s the most 80s thing
Old 12-15-2017, 10:00 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
the paradox of internet's nostalgia: the late 80s are the most 90s thing, as are the early 90s the most 80s thing
to this point: Young Guns II, 1990, featured Bon Jovi's "Blaze of Glory," arguably the apotheosis of 1980s hair metal.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:05 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

The only thing I know about that movie is a bit of radio morning show trivia; Charlie Sheen wanted to use some other song of Bon Jovi's in the movie, Bon Jovi declined and recorded that instead for them to use in the movie.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:45 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
You are totally correct and I've been trying to set aside some time to watch it since it came to Netflix
Ideally you should have seen it in the place that shares a name with that move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Dropped in 1988.
Uh... Young Guns 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
The only thing I know about that movie is a bit of radio morning show trivia; Charlie Sheen wanted to use some other song of Bon Jovi's in the movie, Bon Jovi declined and recorded that instead for them to use in the movie.
Was it this one?:
Old 12-16-2017, 09:32 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Yeah. Bon Jovi pointed out that, other than the title, the song wasn't really about cowboys, so he wrote them a new song about cowboys.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:29 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

But they were outlaws not cowboys in the second one.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Bob Jovi is one of the musical acts ive been a fan of the longest (alongside Weird Al, Queen and Meatloaf) and Slippery When Wet was one of the first non-Weird Al albums I ever bought...

And I don’t think I could tell Blaze of Glory apart from Dead or Alive if you put a gun to my head.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

So I did set aside the time to watch Power Rangers and, indeed, wound up enjoying myself with it. Mostly, at least, the middle segment where it became The Breakfast Club dragged the film down a bit, and I am fairly confidant that a subplot about sexting doesn't belong in a Power Rangers movie (the final resolution of which being especially out of place), but the part that focuses on teenagers with attitudes gaining super powers and then fighting a gold-and-donut obsessed Elizabeth Banks and her giant blob monster buddy is exactly what I wanted from the film. Or any film.

If anything, she makes the original Rita Repulsa deliver an understated performance as an evil space witch who wants to destroy one (1) city.

And it Turns out the trick to making me like Alpha 5 is to have him be played by Bill Hader, doing his best to pretend to be Patton Oswalt.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:59 PM
Better be the real thing.

Quote:
the final resolution of which being especially out of place
I know, right?! That's exactly the opposite of what a comeuppance is for!
Old 12-17-2017, 12:14 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Jackie Chan is an absolute lunatic. I'm just about convinced the only way he hasn't maimed or killed himself on set is by making a pact with the devil. I was just watching Mr Nice Guy and there's a scene where he's being pushed at a live buzz saw and then seconds later rolls over it with his stomach inches away from the blade. I know people who've been maimed by buzz saws and I had to pause the movie after that scene.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:27 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
I know, right?! That's exactly the opposite of what a comeuppance is for!
The only explanation I can think of is that Kimberlys arc was originally supposed to be something very different, and that scene was already filmed.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:18 AM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Watched Arrivals with the family last night.

Learning the language of the aliens with the assistance of both humans and computers was quite cool. The rest of it didn't quite work for me.

- The opening sequence with Hannah set a tone like women's fiction, and that made me think women would be central to the story. But after that it was our heroine the Smurfette completely surrounded by dudes.

- "How did I meet your father? Well, honey, he smirked and stared at me for a while, and then we had an awkward conversation about how we were both single, and then we were in love. Don't ask me why we haven't set up a college savings account for you, okay?"

- I wasn't convinced about the aliens' motivation once it was revealed.

- The exterior shots looked like they were done on videotape? I'm not an AV person, so maybe I'm off about that.

Worth watching once, but only that, imo.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:29 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
- "How did I meet your father? Well, honey, he smirked and stared at me for a while, and then we had an awkward conversation about how we were both single, and then we were in love. Don't ask me why we haven't set up a college savings account for you, okay?"
When I watched the film, I was actually relieved that there was no sexual tension between the two. Maybe that was the director's intent? Like, "ha ha, you thought because there was zero onscreen chemistry, I wouldn't smush them up in a relationship? What a fool you are! What a grand and intoxicating innocence!"

But yeah, it was basically a sausage party.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Space dad

Quote:
The opening sequence with Hannah set a tone like women's fiction, and that made me think women would be central to the story. But after that it was our heroine the Smurfette completely surrounded by dudes.
The short story it's based on (Story of Your Life) is basically just her writing a letter to her daughter about learning the language, and about how she could see her daughter's entire life from before she was born, and mentioning the (now absent) dad sometimes. Near everyone else aside from the colonel was invented for the film.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:45 PM
This Guy

The Lost City of Z and Mudbound are two very well made films, neither of which really connected with me. Z was the worse offender, being utterly gorgeous but I felt nothing. I wouldn't pin that on anything other than me not being in the right mood, because I can't really point to anything the movie did wrong. Mudbound was more engrossing, but it spent a lot of time with its least interesting stories. There is a great movie about two vets returning home to Mississippi after WWII, one white and one black, finding friendship while dealing with their separate struggles re-acclimating. That movie is here, but it is buried in somewhat less interesting stuff.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:52 PM
>TRANCE

Pronouns: They / Them

Just marathoned the first three Fast / Furious movies with some friends and they're... really gay. Like the first one is full of weird sexual tension between the undercover cop and Vin Diesel aka "Dom", and the second is about the undercover cop reuniting with his ex and being actually really cute w/ him for two hours.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:11 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Your next assignment is to watch any assortment of action movies from the 80s onwards.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:50 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Just marathoned the first three Fast / Furious movies with some friends and they're... really gay. Like the first one is full of weird sexual tension between the undercover cop and Vin Diesel aka "Dom", and the second is about the undercover cop reuniting with his ex and being actually really cute w/ him for two hours.
Peak gay in the series IMO is every scene with Diesel and The Rock in F5. You're in for a treat.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:42 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

The subtext is never as strong again as it is with those first two movies, but Fast Five does it’s very best.

I get the impression that, despite the movies script, Vin and Rock don’t actually like each other at all.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:52 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
And it Turns out the trick to making me like Alpha 5 is to have him be played by Bill Hader, doing his best to pretend to be Patton Oswalt.
Fuck, I think I want to watch Power Rangers now. Octo, what have you done?
Old 12-18-2017, 06:22 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Sabans marketing departments job, apparently.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
I get the impression that, despite the movies script, Vin and Rock don’t actually like each other at all.
There's like an ongoing civil war between The Rock and the pre-5 cast. At one point Seal posted something on instagram about how the producers had to choose between him and The Rock. Good luck on that, buddy!
Old 12-18-2017, 10:32 AM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

In preparation for watching the second film with family later this week, I watched The Force Awakens. After trying to watch ep. 1 a number of years ago, I'd all but given up on the franchise, but between Rogue One and this, I'm up for more.

- I'm looking forward to Finn being more than "oh my god what's happening" guy.

- Rey is great.

- Temper, temper, Kylo Ren. That equipment has to be expensive, and is that really something you want to do on a spaceship? (I think? or were they on the surface of a planet somewhere? sometimes I can't tell.)*

- The little android is super cute and much less annoying than some of the other SW sidekick characters.

- I'm not sure that Harrison Ford makes a convincing action hero anymore. Am I really supposed to believe Solo lived another 35 years, had a kid, and didn't mature or change at all?

- Fisher seemed tired but I'm glad she was able to play a Leia who's moved on and found a new place for herself in the galaxy. RIP.

* In both this and Rogue One, I have trouble feeling the scale of what's going on. Travel between planets takes no more effort than driving from one state to another, and resources seem abundant, or even infinite, so where the characters are at any given time isn't always clear to me.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:38 AM
Interstellar Private Eye

Quote:
- I'm not sure that Harrison Ford makes a convincing action hero anymore. Am I really supposed to believe Solo lived another 35 years, had a kid, and didn't mature or change at all?
I don't think you're meant to believe that. I got the sense that he had grown up (or at least made an effort), but ultimately dropped everything around the same time as Luke.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:12 PM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
The subtext is never as strong again as it is with those first two movies, but Fast Five does it’s very best.

Like I used to tell a friend of mine, Tokyo Drift keeps smashing into a glass ceiling of gay until Dom Torreto shows up and we are treated to

Quote:
Hayseed hero: Han never told me he was into American muscle

Dom Torreto: He was when he was with me
and said glass ceiling is shattered into a thousand wee shards.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:03 PM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfrugalj View Post
I don't think you're meant to believe that. I got the sense that he had grown up (or at least made an effort), but ultimately dropped everything around the same time as Luke.
Yeah, I think the idea is that he reverted in his despair.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
I don't remember if I rambled about it when I made the pilgrimage through the series last month or so, but I am 100% convinced that the first movie was originally just straight up written as a gay love triangle and somebody chickened out at the last minute.

Mia and Letty are respectively the Heterosexuality Familiars of Dom and Vince. Like in His Dark Materials, but they're just there for when making out with someone.

The whole main plot really only makes sense if Brian has a huge crush on Dom, and most of the script is written that way, but they don't want it to come off too obviously gay, so certain scenes and lines go "Oh I get it, you've fallen for this guy's sister!"

Meanwhile Vince's entire deal makes no sense at all without love triangle jealousy in play (especially that beer bottle taking scene I mean wow). And the familiars are so lacking in any independent characterization that towards the end there's that double injury and that double confession.

A much simpler way to address this problem would have been to just make Dom a woman. I am so very glad they somehow didn't think to do that and instead went this weird route... although I'm also sad the sequels drop it.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , rooster cogburn , several live eels , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road