The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
Watched Murder on the Orient Express with the family over the holiday weekend. I'd read the book on the trip in, and with it being in short-term memory was able to detail a lot (hopefully not too many) of the differences between the two over dinner. The most striking thing, I think, was that the movie almost brought me to tears at the end, while the book didn't even come close to having an emotional impact, at all. I was kind of surprised by that.
Film can do a lot with those pregnant pauses between the dialogue and action. I rembember seeing this and having my mind blown. The man playing Poirot really amps up the drama with his voice as he unravels the case for the train car.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:58 PM
I'll sleep when I'm dead

Screw you guys for making me want to see Coco while it's in theaters >:P
Old 11-27-2017, 03:15 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
I said as much in the Pixar thread but I fucking loved Coco for reasons that went well beyond OH BOY! SKELETONS!!

How was seeing it in Spanish? I ask because this is probably the first time I've ever wanted to see a movie in another language.
I put my thoughts here:

https://talking-time.net/showpost.ph...&postcount=325
Old 11-27-2017, 04:09 PM
Goodbye!

Saw Lady Bird this weekend. It is very good, and my partner assures me it was pretty spot on in delivering the experience of being a teenage girl in the early-aughts.

I'm not sure how often I laughed, but I was smiling the whole time I wasn't cringing (the movie unpretentiously displays what it is like to be a pretentious teen, which was occasionally tough to bear without curling up a little).

A marvelous movie. Highly recommended.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:22 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
Saw Lady Bird this weekend. It is very good, and my partner assures me it was pretty spot on in delivering the experience of being a teenage girl in the early-aughts.

I'm not sure how often I laughed, but I was smiling the whole time I wasn't cringing (the movie unpretentiously displays what it is like to be a pretentious teen, which was occasionally tough to bear without curling up a little).

A marvelous movie. Highly recommended.
I am told it also accurately portrays what it is like to grow up in Sacramento.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I'm very skeptical that criticism for whitewashing doomed the movie financially. I wish we lived in that world, but I don't think we do.

It was a live action adaptation of a niche anime that reviewed poorly. It would be surprising if it was not a commercial failure.
You are probably right. Bladerunner 2049 has a 81 on metacritic and performed below expectations at the box office.

The audience for replicated humans (biological or cybernetic) stories may not be that large. Bladerunner and Ghost in the Shell share some themes, which is why I make the comparison.

I think the whitewashing angle is probably minor compared to a niche market & poor reviews angles. The whitewashing angle is immediately what came to mind when I remembered that this film did not do will financially.

Ghost in the Shell (2017) is not without faults, but I enjoyed Ghost in the Shell much more than the film critics did.

Last edited by Voncaster; 11-28-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:10 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I am told it also accurately portrays what it is like to grow up in Sacramento.
It's definitely a side of California you don't often get to see in movies.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:33 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Opted to watch Treasure Planet, since it's been mentioned in the cartoon thread and because I hadn't seen it before. Can't say I didn't enjoy it, but I can also understand the general apathy towards it. The CG and 2D animation didn't mesh terribly well (except on Silver, thankfully, as he was built entirely on that mesh), and a few characters were over-animated to an extent that would have made Don Bluth blush. On the other hand, character and location designs were all amazing, and Amelia and Silver may have both jumped far up the list of my favorite Disney characters.

And to my incredible surprise, the Martin Short Robot did not annoy the crap out of me. Never saw that coming.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:31 PM
It's dog eat dog

Wheelman: Pretty fun, lean, 80-minute getaway driver movie produced by Netflix. Unlike Ryan Gosling this guy pretty much never stops talking on his phone. And that's the whole angle, seeing the whole dynamic of this type of movie play out in our 24/7 connected world. It's kind of a trifle, but in a good way.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:57 PM
Good Bee

Lady Bird: Fantastic. Of course it was.

Movies released by A24 films in the last 3 years that I've seen:

Enemy, Under the Skin, Locke, Ex Machina, Room, The Witch, Green Room, The Lobster, Swiss Army Man, Moonlight, The Monster, The Blackcoat's Daughter, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, and Lady Bird

I'd highly recommend every last one of them.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:45 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Lady Bird: Fantastic. Of course it was.

Movies released by A24 films in the last 3 years that I've seen:

Enemy, Under the Skin, Locke, Ex Machina, Room, The Witch, Green Room, The Lobster, Swiss Army Man, Moonlight, The Monster, The Blackcoat's Daughter, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, and Lady Bird

I'd highly recommend every last one of them.
Bolded the ones I haven't seen. That's a hell of a portfolio and now I have a Criterion shopping list.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:14 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Concur on Lady Bird. Emotional resonance is gonna stick with me for a while.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:39 PM
It's dog eat dog

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: This is well-acted and worth watching, but I'm going to need more time to chew on it to figure out what the point was. It very much feels like a British playwright's interpretation of the Midwest.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:01 PM

Real excited to see Three Billboards.

I watched Do the Right Thing. Very good, very sad that it’s just as relevant today as it was in 1989.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Coco was amazing - and it amazes me how you can predict exactly how a the plot in a Pixar movie will develop yet they still manage to rip your heart out. +AAA, would bawl my eyes out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfrugalj View Post
[Frozen short] not actually horrible, it's just unreasonably long.
Beg to differ. It's horrible and unreasonably long. I liked Frozen, but the overexposure with these silly shorts overstuffed with forgettable songs is making me enjoy the property less and less every time - DIsney really needs to let it go. And it's a pity, because the Frozen world is an interesting setting with good characters, including an ultra-powerful sorceress queen who is forever doomed to star in stories where she uses her powers to create ice decorations and pout that nobody goes to her Christmas parties #firstWorldProblems
Old 12-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Can't peeve the Sheev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
I liked Frozen, but the overexposure with these silly shorts overstuffed with forgettable songs is making me enjoy the property less and less every time - Disney really needs to let it go.
Was that intentional of you?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 AM
It's dog eat dog

The creators of the Every Frame a Painting video series just announced that the series has concluded. I'd only seen one of them before so I figured it was as good a time as any to watch through the archive.

I particularly love these two, about Spielberg's use of long takes (which are generally shorter, more functional and less visible than more famous, showoffy tracking shots like the one in Goodfellas) and the way the Coens shoot conversations (a big factor in why even their most inconsequential characters are so memorable).

Old 12-05-2017, 07:54 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
The creators of the Every Frame a Painting video series just announced that the series has concluded. I'd only seen one of them before so I figured it was as good a time as any to watch through the archive.
Every Frame a Painting was excellent. It's a shame that they won't be doing more videos. But hopefully that just means their keen observations will be put into making films.

My favorite was probably the video about Jackie Chan's style of action imbued with comedy. And I think that video helped diagnose why most Hollywood action movies have a style of editing that makes the actions sequences feel completely lackluster and flat to me.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:00 AM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
Every Frame a Painting was excellent. It's a shame that they won't be doing more videos. But hopefully that just means their keen observations will be put into making films.
I think they're just moving into freelance work in a similar vein. I know they have a Howard Hawks screwball comedy feature planned for FilmStruck.

Personally I'd rather they press on as really gifted communicators, as a salve for all of the CinemaSins bullshit infesting online movie culture.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:07 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Yeah, I loved their videos. Watching those keyed me into a few other film study channels as well, particularly Now You See It and Nerdwriter01.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 AM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Nerdwriter01.
That channel is a guilty pleasure of mine. I have a real weakness for storytellers who can save the point of the story for the end without falling to pieces. It's harder than it looks.

Quote:
Personally I'd rather they press on as really gifted communicators, as a salve for all of the CinemaSins bullshit infesting online movie culture.
CinemaSins and Red Letter share the same fatal flaw: They're their own biggest marks. EFAP (damn, someone didn't think their title through) focused on their arg instead of trying to get themselves over, and we should reward that.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:46 AM
Mr. Jackpots

I definitely learned a lot about the visual side of filmmaking from their videos. It's too bad there won't be any more.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:51 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Yeah, Every Frame a Painting is great! I love the one on Edgar Wright's use of camera work in comedy. They're all worth watching.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:59 AM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I definitely learned a lot about the visual side of filmmaking from their videos. It's too bad there won't be any more.
Their FilmStruck work is going to be a long-term collaboration, apparently. That puts it behind a paywall, but FS is very well worth the price, especially considering how godawful the selection of old movies is on the major streaming services.

(They're taking for-EVER to release a PS4 app, though!!)
Old 12-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Mr. Jackpots

I'm interested in FS but I currently have three streaming subscriptions I'm trying to keep up with.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:19 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Their FilmStruck work is going to be a long-term collaboration, apparently. That puts it behind a paywall, but FS is very well worth the price, especially considering how godawful the selection of old movies is on the major streaming services.
FilmStruck looks very cool, but I do miss when Criterion movies were just part of Hulu so the same relatively low fee would pay for all you can eat TV garbage and some of the best movies ever mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
EFAP (damn, someone didn't think their title through)
Now we know why they had no choice but to end the series.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:37 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Definitely a shame that EFAP is finished; they were my favourite film critics on YouTube. I look forward to what Zhou and Ramos do next.

The video on the Coens' shot-reverse shot was my favourite, because it showed how even the most simple technique could be used to great effect in the right hands. It gave me a new appreciation for the Coens (and Roger Deakins!).
Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 AM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
FilmStruck looks very cool, but I do miss when Criterion movies were just part of Hulu so the same relatively low fee would pay for all you can eat TV garbage and some of the best movies ever mad.
That's actually why I originally signed up for Hulu. In the long run though I barely ever watched the Criterion on there, because there was little to no effort on Hulu's part to spotlight any of it, which is probably why they jumped ship. Whereas on FS it's all curated by film geeks and grouped into cool theme weeks and pairings.

They're clearly a really small team, though. I don't have problems with the actual streaming, but their website is much jankier to use than Netflix, Amazon, etc.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:47 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:

(They're taking for-EVER to release a PS4 app, though!!)
Quote:
Yeah, it was nice when Criterion was on Hulu. I watched a lot of them there, and I've been talking with a friend about splitting a Filmstruck account too.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Interstellar Private Eye

Last time I checked I was really hyped for FS, but I seem to remember it was not available outside of the US.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , rooster cogburn , several live eels , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road