The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-23-2017, 09:43 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Wife pointed out that as no one here is a four-year-old girl the Frozen short may be working as intended.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:53 AM

Yes, it is meant for small kids, absolutely.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:42 PM

A Better Tomorrow is showing in theaters for whatever reason, so I decided to rewatch it. Cheesy as hell, but still my shit.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:56 PM

That scene where he lights a cigarette using a burning hundred dollar bill... I drink it. I drink it up. Also the theme song sung by Leslie Cheung, who happens to be a lead actor in the movie, vertical integration at its finest.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:05 PM
This Guy

I watched Bram Stoker's Dracula for the first time yesterday. That movie is ... something else. It is astounding.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:56 PM
Good Bee

In a year that's had a lot of fantastic movies, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is by far my favorite movie of the year. Absolutely loved it. It just got a wider release around here, so I highly recommend checking if it's playing anywhere near you if the trailer looks appealing at all.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:09 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I watched Bram Stoker's Dracula for the first time yesterday. That movie is ... something else. It is astounding.
It's really quite a thing, isn't it. It's a mach 10 roller coaster of quality.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:33 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufferto View Post
That scene where he lights a cigarette using a burning hundred dollar bill... I drink it. I drink it up. Also the theme song sung by Leslie Cheung, who happens to be a lead actor in the movie, vertical integration at its finest.
Mark Gor is one stylish motherfucker in the first half hour of Better Tomorrow
Old 11-23-2017, 10:10 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

Someone put on Indiana Jones and the last crusade and we caught the first hour or so, up to
Hitler's autograph,
and boy, this is one goofy work of fan service!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:58 AM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
I hope you enjoy it, False! I forgot to mention that there was an absolutely DIRE Frozen Christmas short before it. Like, unbearably bad.
When my fiancťe went to see it, she said, because the short was so long and the thing was Frozen themed, everyone thought they were in the wrong film showing. Plus this was out a month ago there, so like Christmas stuff in early November. Yikes!
Old 11-25-2017, 06:24 PM
Find Your Reason

My mini review of Pixar's Coco:

See it for the love of God see it.

And please share your impressions with the class because I'm dying to know what non-Mex audiences think of the setting and how it was developed. I caught lots of Mexican culture injokes (and also saw it in Spanish) so I'm interested in others' perspectives.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:46 PM

I picked up Ghost in the Shell (2017) on blu-ray and re-watched it.

The whitewashing arguments, which are fair, doomed this movie financially before release.

While I understand the argument, I do feel bad for the creative people who worked on this movie. A lot of care and craft went into this film. It looks great and feels, at least to me, like the GITS movies and anime.

I certainly do not begrudge anyone for skipping the film due to whitewashing. But I do think its a pretty good film in its own right. Its not a masterpiece, but as far as escapist entertainment I think its solid.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:00 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
My mini review of Pixar's Coco:

See it for the love of God see it.

And please share your impressions with the class because I'm dying to know what non-Mex audiences think of the setting and how it was developed. I caught lots of Mexican culture injokes (and also saw it in Spanish) so I'm interested in others' perspectives.
While I'm here waiting for you to tell me what you thought.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:24 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post

The whitewashing arguments, which are fair, doomed this movie financially before release.
I found a lot of the movie enjoyable, but they also made a ton of missteps with "Major," not the least of which was doubling down on the whitewashing by having her be a Japanese girl in a white woman's body or taking away her name so she only goes by Major.

But that scene where Beat Takeshi owns a bunch a dudes, that scene was great.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:18 AM
This Guy

Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond is one of the most tiresome things I've ever watched. It is mostly Jim Carrey talking about method acting (I hate method acting, I might also hate Jim Carrey) but it is combined with Jim Carrey method acting a college freshman straight out of a philosophy 101 class.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:38 PM
クソゲーが好な人

I'm on my way back through the MCU and I've recently watched Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America. Here are some scattered thoughts on them.

Iron Man 2 I can honestly find almost nothing to say against. It has exactly three action scenes and they're all fun. It furthers the characters we met in Iron Man 1. Its emotional and thematic qualities are not as strong as many other MCU movies which may be why it has a lower reputation than most.

Elon Musk shows up in one scene and the Hammer Industries hangar was filmed at Space-X. Many of Sam Rockwell's lines were ad-libbed (particularly his brilliant descriptions of the weapons he's showing off for the War Machine suit). There's a scene where Whiplash kills his bird that was cut from the film so as not to fuck up kids. They digitally altered one of his tattoos because it said "Loki" and they didn't want an accidental easter egg, apparently.

Scarlett Johansson insisted on doing a lot of her own stunts and underwent some seriously grueling training for her role in this film. It's worth nothing that this is where her career as an action star began. I have a lot of respect for that.

Thor has a lot of Dutch angles, and I'm not exactly sure why. The visual style of Asgard in this movie is gorgeous. The town of Puente Antiguo was completely fabricated for the film and was intended to be a humble reflection of the grandeur of Asgard. The golden palace is analogous to the abandoned car dealership where Jane Foster and her fellow researchers have set up shop. In the context of Thor Ragnarok, it's difficult to see the Frost Giants as evil monsters, and I think that adds a layer of complexity to this film that perhaps was not quite there originally.

Brannagh wanted the town to feel like a character such that when Destroyer is messing it up at the end of the film, you feel emotionally connected to it. I'm not sure how well that succeeds.

Everything involving Thor when he first shows up on Earth is still hilarious to me. There's a deleted scene where he replaces the mug he smashed at the diner. Tom Hiddleston is flawless and I'm glad he went on to reappear in several more films.

I used to have a hard time aligning the idea of Norse gods with the technological MCU that had been shown up to that point, but then I realized that they aren't "gods," but are just especially long-lived humanoid aliens that visited Earth at one point and entered into our mythology.

Captain America: The First Avenger I'll probably have more to say about after I watch all the special features on the Blu-Ray. It's probably the best or second-best of the Phase 1 movies, if I had to rank them. I like how the movie organically ties in with the previous ones, with the Tesseract originating from Asgard and Howard Stark (and the Stark Expo) calling back to the Iron Man films.

Most everything Cap does in the movie is in defiance of established systems. He disobeys orders constantly. It's never really commented on in the movie, but it's worth nothing that the soldiers he picks for his anti-Hydra team are a "melting pot" of ethnicity. I love that his primary weapon is a symbol of defense. Seeing the Hydra Nazis get beat up and defeated is intensely cathartic in 2017.

Cap may be the only MCU character with a recognizable leitmotif.

Hugo Weaving and Toby Jones are really good. All the Hydra tech has that glorious mid-century Ace sci-fi book cover look to them.

The Rogers-Carter romance is a bit undersold but, on the other hand, Hayley Atwell is such a good actor that she manages to sell it through performance alone. I should probably watch Agent Carter someday.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:52 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

You should! Agent Carter is a pretty fun series (some people dislike the second season, but while it wasn't as crisp as the first I was still plenty entertained) and Hayley Atwell is fantastic throughout.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:52 PM
Jingle Machine

Pronouns: He

Wouldnít Mission Impossible 3 be the start of Scarlet Johanssení action movie career?

Or would it... itís been so long since Iíd seen that movie that I am genuinely unsure if she did anything except appear as female lead in it.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:02 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Yeah, Captain America holds up better than I expected and I find myself liking it more each time I see it. It does a ton of work establishing concepts that will be important in later MCU movies. Plus, itís just fun.

After talking about how which movies depend on earlier ones a while back, I went back & watched Captain America, Iron Man, Avengers, Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron, and Civil War. Even cutting it down to six movies, thatís still a ton to watch in a row! As I said above, Cap 1 is great. Iron Man contrasts pretty strongly as a follow up though. It doesnít tie in to anything else except for the post credits scene, but also Tony comes off as much more of a jerk in contrast to Steve. This isnít the intended order, but it really stuck out. Also, I donít think it added as much to this particulas group of films as I thought it would since heís reintroduced pretty well in the Avengers movies. Itís still a great standalone action movie & intro to Iron Man though.

The two Avengers movies were probably the weakest part of the whole thing. The novelty of superheroes teaming up has totally worn off now, and they seem goofy & clunky when sandwiched between Russo Bros. movies. Winter Soldier is still my favorite one in the series. Itís a great action movie, it moves along quickly, itís strongly character driven, and itís never too over the top. Even the tripple helicarrier sequence has grown on me over time. Civil War is still a bit overpacked, but man is it ever well made. It really does strengthen it to watch it following the earlier Captain America movies.

Anyway, Iím really looking forward to seeing two Avengers movies with the Russos at the helm.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:05 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Wouldnít Mission Impossible 3 be the start of Scarlet Johanssení action movie career?

Or would it... itís been so long since Iíd seen that movie that I am genuinely unsure if she did anything except appear as female lead in it.
She's been an action star since she burst onto the scene with that big fight scene in North.

I'm pretty sure she's not in MI3.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:08 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Yeah, Michelle Monoghan was the leading lady in MI3 I think?

Johansson's first action picture woulda been The Island or something around there.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:10 PM
クソゲーが好な人

I don't know, I was just going off of what Jon Favreau said in the commentary for IM2. Perhaps he was wrong.

I'm honestly super excited to rewatch Avengers. It's been ages since I've seen it and I've never watched it with all the preceding films fresh in mind. I did watch MovieBob's "Really That Good" for it recently which helped with the excitedment.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:29 PM
Space dad

The Avengers movies don't really stand on their own, but they offer an entertaining intersection for everyone when they come up and, more importantly, send characters shooting off in new directions for the next group of movies. They're basically season finales for multiple movie series.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:37 PM
This Guy

Its been a long time since I've sat down and watched Avengers. I know I lose interest within minutes of finding it on FX or whatever while flipping through the channels, but not all movies can Back to the Future when comes to stumbling onto them by happenstance.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:02 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

It's been more than a week since I've seen it so it's not fresh in my mind, but I found Lady Bird very moving as both a Californian and as a Catholic high school grad with a secular upbringing. It also convinced me to love a Dave Matthews song for four minutes.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:17 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post

I'm very skeptical that criticism for whitewashing doomed the movie financially. I wish we lived in that world, but I don't think we do.

It was a live action adaptation of a niche anime that reviewed poorly. It would be surprising if it was not a commercial failure.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:31 AM
クソゲーが好な人

A few more stray thoughts about Captain America after I watched the featurettes on the blu-ray.

The variety of effects they used to achieve the "skinny Steve" at the beginning of the film are pretty remarkable. He gets a little bit uncanny valley sometimes, but I think it's a very successful effect 99% of the time.

Joe Simon got the idea for the Red Skull from eating a fudge sundae. He was watching the chocolate seep slowly down and was thinking about some sort of mud monster, but then he saw the red cherry on top and the Red Skull was born. This sounds like bullshit but that's exactly what he said.

Simon also mentions that the concept for Cap came from noting how Batman's villains were driving his success. So they wanted to start the comic with a villain, and then write a foil for that villain. They chose Hitler.

Gabe Jones of the Howling Commandos was apparently drawn as a white guy in his early appearances by accident. Stan Lee intended for him to be black, but the artist didn't get the memo (or thought the memo was wrong).

Ninety percent of the Red Skull's face effect is prosthetic that took Hugo Weaving about three hours to get into. They then did some CG after-effects to remove his nose and thin down his face a bit. I think it works really well.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
They seem like a pretty militaristic society. Maybe the massacred army accounted for a large percentage of the population?
Realistically, a society needs many more non-warriors than warriors to exist, generating food and supplies to support the livelihood of people whose only job is to be warriors.

Of course, nothing about Asgard is realistic.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:29 AM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Watched Murder on the Orient Express with the family over the holiday weekend. I'd read the book on the trip in, and with it being in short-term memory was able to detail a lot (hopefully not too many) of the differences between the two over dinner. The most striking thing, I think, was that the movie almost brought me to tears at the end, while the book didn't even come close to having an emotional impact, at all. I was kind of surprised by that.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:32 AM
SEASON'S BEATINGS

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Please share your impressions [of Pixar's Coco] with the class because I'm dying to know what non-Mex audiences think of the setting and how it was developed.
I said as much in the Pixar thread but I fucking loved Coco for reasons that went well beyond OH BOY! SKELETONS!!

How was seeing it in Spanish? I ask because this is probably the first time I've ever wanted to see a movie in another language.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , rooster cogburn , several live eels , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road