The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Notices

Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I can't believe I read all those pages and they didn't once use the word "bamfette."
Old 07-16-2018, 07:25 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
WHERES MY CRETACEOUS SAM ONGOING, MARVEL?!?!
At the very least, new member of Nextwave.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Senhor Member

Caliban’s really going through it in a UXM annual.

Also, Jubilee.

John Francis Moore is popping up. He’ll write X-Force later and has started to do some X-Factor stuff. I first read him write two X-Men Unlimited stories which firmly established the series as totally irrelevant to other books while also being, “good.” In one, the X-Men sort of confront their alliance with the Shi’ar Empire, which of course loves executing rebels and dissidents. Xavier accommodates this because why wouldn’t he? Nobody cares what their military allies do domestically. Especially if they’re boning.

In another, Havok is kidnapped by Sauron and coated in a man’s slime.

I love Sauron.

That issue also had some great pin-ups at the end.

I actually read all parts of the Phalanx Covenant, even the Wolverine/Cable part. The X-Men issues definitely felt the least important in terms of “dealing with the monsters” and functioned as a backdoor pilot for Gen X. Anyway, love that cast. I’m sorry to say, I found Wolverine “cool” in his book and “saw his obvious appeal.” (didn’t during that Fatal Attractions issue I read) Probably helped that the art was great.

The X-Factor/Force/Calibur crossover established Douglock, and if he’s really just Warlock, I hope this persona one day returns, because it’s much easier to tolerate.

My keyboard’s not working. I’m done posting pictures! Pyro and Iceman fucked in X-Men Gold. Congrats.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:38 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Moore took over Unlimited just after issue 4, a Scott Lobdell joint that in the bad old days of Usenet was for some time considered the canonical worst X-Men story ever, I think until The Draco took the belt which it continues to hold.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:58 PM
Senhor Member

The main thing I remember about that is Mystique had some great evil faces. I didn’t notice anything unusually bad but I also really enjoyed the Bird Brain arc in New Mutants.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:22 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I've been going through that Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon. I somehow got the impression that this was a Secret Good, Cancelled Before Its Time type of thing but it's extremely uneven. Unless the final 1/3 of these episodes are amazing, I think that surprisingly X-Men: Evolution is probably the best animated adaptation of the X-Men?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:56 AM
Senhor Member

It certainly is. (still haven’t watched the anime I guess)
Old 07-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Evolution is by far the best of the cartoons. TAS is my favorite because it’s the one I watched when I was wee, and because of its inherent goofy charm, but Evolution is the Good One.

WaX is at least the nicest looking one. And it ties into the Good Avengers cartoon.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:02 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I've been going through that Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon. I somehow got the impression that this was a Secret Good, Cancelled Before Its Time type of thing but it's extremely uneven. Unless the final 1/3 of these episodes are amazing, I think that surprisingly X-Men: Evolution is probably the best animated adaptation of the X-Men?
I liked that it went for it and did the confusing timeline shit. It came around the same time as the Spectacular Spider-man series that really took off in its second season, so it had some promise at the time.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:11 AM
Senhor Member

Loved Cullen Bunn’s interview on Battle of the Atom. His commitment to randos! I, too, dream of Maggot and Nate Grey starring in a book together and I think my post history backs that up.

BTW I’ve come around to the way telepathy isn’t really that useful in comics. It’s just like social media! Some people will have their thoughts and memes proudly displayed publicly; other people take precautions and are more selective about what they feed the algorithm, particularly if they “have” to because they’re public figures or wish to maintain their privacy. Nonetheless, if you’re diligent, you can probably find someone’s old xanga or something.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:50 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I liked that it went for it and did the confusing timeline shit.
I definitely like this aspect of it the best. It's strongest when it's advancing the main plot.

My big problem is that I feel like a lot of the cast is underdeveloped, and its choice of material for bottle episodes is not great. Probably a lot of these issues are because of some sort of a mandate to be Wolverine centric? But even in that case . . . three Maverick episodes????? I agree that it shows potential for future seasons, especially if they could have let the rest of the cast shine a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
Loved Cullen Bunn’s interview on Battle of the Atom.
Yeah, this was great. I thought it was funny how frankly he answered that he had absolutely no interest in writing X-Men: Blue as an original five book. (For people that didn't/won't listen, he said that he kept trying to negotiate any other lineup at all, but in the end they told him original five or nothing at all.)
Old 07-20-2018, 12:09 PM
There he is!

I was reading the latest issue of Blue to go up on Marvel Unlimited (#19), and it was fine most of the way through. Some time travel, some paradoxes, some banter with Silver Age Magneto, that's all pretty good stuff. Then I got to the last page and fucking Raze and his stupid Future Brotherhood show up and I audibly groaned, because I cannot deal with more of this fucking guy.
Old Today, 03:20 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Sometimes I wonder if I'm reading too much sex stuff into Claremont.

But then I see how Claremont described Jean doing genocide on broccoli aliens (D'Bari) in an early 80s interview, and I figure it's more likely that I'm probably not reading nearly enough sex stuff into Claremont.

Old Today, 05:39 PM
Senhor Member

I was a skeptic for such a long time. Now I'm seeing horniness everywhere. And it's fine. Also, I've never been more, "those two characters? Near each other? Gay." (in the comics only. there is one gay character in the MCU for 3 seconds. what a bummer!)

Warren Ellis has started writing Excalibur and I gotta say... it's good. Helps that his first issue has Terry Dodson on art, but art in subsequent issues is great, too.

Kitty's being seduced by the dark side. Love it.

Kurt is also possessed and furiously wagging his tail like a cat.

Yes.

Yes!!

Bit anti-semitic, wolvie

Instagram-ready

Gay

Fabian Nicieza wrote a completely serious story about Adam X, his fave and the true secret Summers brother, which is the only kind of story anyone should write about him. Don't worry: it still had jokes.

Legionquest baby

Gen X had cute little fourth-wall breaking stingers at the end of its issues. Reality's warping btw

Anytime you use the word "elsewhen" I'll be down

Boyfriends

Psylocke got a haircut btw and it looks great. I used to think the only thing I disliked about 90s X-Men were that men had too much hair, but now I'm thinking, everyone has too much hair.

I buy that 90s Bobby might be stunned by an Asian woman with a British accent, but so is the omniscient narrator. Guess it's just the writers.

I'm sure I musn't.

See?

Surly time-displaced boyfriends

I think Mark Waid wrote this and I'm sorry; I appreciate it. (He scripted half this crossover)

Oh god Legion

Onto the AoA! My first impression is that wow Apocalypse's conquest happened real fast. Seems like only a couple of years before the event started.
Old Today, 05:49 PM
Senhor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I'm reading too much sex stuff into Claremont.

But then I see how Claremont described Jean doing genocide on broccoli aliens (D'Bari) in an early 80s interview, and I figure it's more likely that I'm probably not reading nearly enough sex stuff into Claremont.

Has anyone ever asked Claremont about this btw?

Tags
adam x the x-treme , ah cain't touch yuh remy , berserker barrage , chayeh , claremont's boner , focused totality , foreverial tiedup x-men , marvel , mental domination , no quarter asked , none given , scumbag gambit , x-men