The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Safe Space

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Or a heist movie. I could do with a heist movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
But yeah, I'd be totally down for Heist Princesses.
You guys do know that Ocean's 8 is coming out on Thursday, right?
Old 06-05-2018, 08:33 PM
Find Your Reason

There were, like, fourteen "Ocean's [X]" movies, plus several Italian Jobs and a bunch other heist films. The world can sustain two of them crewed entirely by women
Old 06-05-2018, 08:41 PM
YOU FOOL??

Pronouns: He/Him

I think Buge means, if that's the kind of thing you want, there's one of that kind of thing coming out soon to support.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:55 PM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
You guys do know that Ocean's 8 is coming out on Thursday, right?
I didn't, actually! This is the first I've heard of it! Thanks for mentioning it; I love heist movies.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:52 AM
..and his little cat, too

I wouldn't be surprised if they were contractually obligated to show those logos in the trailer as part of the agreement for being able to use them in the movie. I doubt anyone at Disney seriously thought "oh, when they see the logo for that online shopping site, they'll be lining up to buy tickets!"

Or then again, they might. Maybe they can't distinguish between why people would be excited for Zangief and Bowser but not Amazon and whatever.

I doubt it will be a significant factor in the movie, though -- they probably want to save that for stuff they own, hence no Google search (though I am curious now if Disney would want to spin off their own search engine from this).

And I don't think the Disney princesses and Star Wars stuff will play a huge part. Remember Bad Anon in the first one's trailer? And Hero's Duty?

Those were quickly shuffled out and 95% of the rest of the movie was spent in Sugar Rush, so much so that the NAME of the movie in Japan WAS "Sugar Rush."

So I wouldn't sweat anything from this trailer just yet.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:56 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
And I don't think the Disney princesses and Star Wars stuff will play a huge part. Remember Bad Anon in the first one's trailer? And Hero's Duty?
The difference, as I see it, is that Bad Anon is actually relevant to the story at large. It ties into the premise of "the secret lives of video game characters", and in fact shows the plot when Ralph announces he doesn't want to be the bad guy anymore. The scene exists first and foremost to serve the story, not as an excuse to go "hey, remember this?". That it lends itself to cameos is surely intended, but the scene would function just as well— from a story perspective— if they were all parody knock-offs.

I don't see that in the Disney Princess scene. I don't see how a gathering of Disney Princesses relates to "Ralph and Vanellope visit the internet", nor how it furthers the story. It looks like nothing more than a vector to make jokes about the princesses' own movies and tropes, which is why it comes back to "this looks like something that exists purely for brand synergy".

Sure, it's possible this is getting played up for the trailers, in some RPO-inspired directive to just include Things People Recognize. But it's not just the cameos that worry me, it's the lack of any story (or good jokes).
Old 06-07-2018, 05:26 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

the twist: the Disney Princess room is actually Buzzfeed
Old 06-08-2018, 08:09 AM
..and his little cat, too

I think the Bad Anon meeting being integral to the plot is probably more a symptom than the cause for it being featured so heavily.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:28 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

I figured since the internet is swamped with "What Disney Princess Are You?" or "Disney princesses reimagined as X" things it will tie into that somehow.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
the twist: the Disney Princess room is actually Buzzfeed
Yeah this.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:43 AM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

I am ready for some late 90s/early 00s nostalgia, and it looks like this will deliver

Tags
alex trebek-it ralph , going turbo , i'm gonna wreck it! , italo disco , nitpicking , same as it ever was