The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-15-2018, 10:58 PM
Family Man

The path to unlock Poppiís final fetish operating system is a nice encapsulation of everything wrong with the side quests in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Excessive item collecting, absurd skill checks, out of nowhere boss fights youíre not ready for, itís all here. Top it off with forcing you to wait for the same half hour Merc Mission to complete three times, and why am I still playing this?
Old 11-16-2018, 10:02 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Top it off with forcing you to wait for the same half hour Merc Mission to complete three times, and why am I still playing this?
The Merc Missions are egregiously bad. I'd have considered them obnoxious but inoffensive if, like the Assassin's Creed fleet shit, they progressed while you didn't have the game running. But they only progress during play! That's bad!
Old 12-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Family Man

I spent 120 hours with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, yet I wish I hadnít. The Xenoblade games tap into the worst parts of my OCD, hooking me each time with their reams of sub MMO quests and half frozen supplementary mechanics like town building and Merc Missions. I hope there arenít any more of these so Iíll stop getting my life hijacked by them.

Why Rex and crew kept trying to reason with Torna, especially Malos, throughout the whole game really bothered me. Malos wanted to destroy the world because Amalthusís deep seated nihilism infected him on a subconscious level...somehow? That is the only motivation he gets in the entire game. Everyone else are Flesh Human/Blade hybrids, the rules of which are played very fast and loose, who join up with him because they want to the world to burn because of Tragic Backstory.

Speaking of Tragic Backstory, Fish Pope Amalthus being not only evil, but the direct cause of every bad thing that happened was pretty awful. Also not great: the giant info dump in Chapter 10 where Klaus tells the party that he used nanomachines to recreate life after splitting the universe in two with a magic quantum alien relic that is never explained. Half of him is also in the Xenoblade 1 universe where he is the Bionis being evil. His lab partner Galea becoming the Mechonis or the space stationís AI incarnating as a purple haired demigod are not mentioned.

Despite all that junk, my main issue with all of these games is that they donít know what they want to be. They want to tell big cosmic sci-fi stories, but also want to be near endless open world games with lots of places to go and things to do. This disparity reaches a ludicrous level at the finale, where giant mechs are blasting the titans and people are running for there lives, but you can still warp to anywhere and everything is fine.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:31 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Why Rex and crew kept trying to reason with Torna, especially Malos, throughout the whole game really bothered me. Malos wanted to destroy the world because Amalthusís deep seated nihilism infected him on a subconscious level...somehow? That is the only motivation he gets in the entire game. Everyone else are Flesh Human/Blade hybrids, the rules of which are played very fast and loose, who join up with him because they want to the world to burn because of Tragic Backstory.
I thought it was pretty funny how Rex is all "Jin we don't have to fight!!!" and then Jin is like "My dude I am literally a mass murderer, I don't get to be redeemed by the power of friendship"

The other members of Torna just being like "welp I guess we'll go along with this world destruction thing even if it isn't something that we actually believe in or want" is ridiculous.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:47 PM
Family Man

They follow him because Malos is such a charismatic lea- no, he is a super powered toddler.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:42 PM
Sega CD version is better

So they put out an update specifically to give Mythra an optional new outfit in both the main game and the Torna expansion.
It still has its faults, but itís a major improvement over the original. Personally, I like that it kind of makes her design kind of line up with Addamís more like Lora and Hazeís do.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:37 PM
Hello. Can you hear me?

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

Sign my change.org petition to have all future JRPGs include "female characters wear pants" DLC.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:39 AM
Fluffy Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by q 3 View Post
Sign my change.org petition to have all future JRPGs include "female characters wear pants" DLC.
Don't you mean leggings/tights?

It worked for Link in his post-Ocarina of Time form.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:59 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Also added to the shoddy narrative file: remember how the Empire had invaded Golmott and committed tons of war crimes and brutally oppressed the populace?

Well the game doesn't because the Empire are super good guys led by an emperor who's totally a cool dude.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:59 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Also added to the shoddy narrative file: remember how the Empire had invaded Golmott and committed tons of war crimes and brutally oppressed the populace?

Well the game doesn't because the Empire are super good guys led by an emperor who's totally a cool dude.
No it's cool you take out the bad people in the Empire when you defeat the Governor on the battle ship in chapter 2. That's how it works right, there's just one bad person causing all the problems and everyone else is super cool and chill
Old 12-02-2018, 01:39 PM
Oh No!

Emperor Niall seems an okay dude who probably tries to make things better when he can, but he's also like 12 years old tops and probably only came to power recently and Morag is probably the only other part of the Empire's government that we are shown to not be completely awful. Most of the rest of Mor Ardain's government we see both in the main story and in side quests around Mor Ardain show it to be full of petty warhawks willing to unearth and repair ancient weapons of mass destruction, exploit their governance of Gormott, and be terrible enough to invite rebellion and assassination.

Not that the other major governments that you run into during the course of the game are much better.

Tags
ashamed of yr words&deeds , don't forget me , don't play anime , get 1/2 through and quit , i like your attitude , i'm not really feeling it , juggs bunny , lol japan , meh meh meh , nintendo switch , poppi power , switch , the kos-most , thin edge of the wedge , think you can take me? , tora is the loserpon , world enough & reyn time , xenoblade one x , xenobreasts chronipples