The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-18-2018, 07:31 PM
Minty Fresh

Went to a theatrical showing of The Room last week. I had never seen this...."movie" but had heard of it's legendary train wreck status so I was all over it.

http://static.adweek.com/adweek.com-...om-ep-2017.jpg

The rest of the audience that had turned up for this thing were great and heckled the whole way through. Not unlike MST3K, but in surround sound. Plus, it turns out that there's a bit of a Rocky Horror element to Room showings, and it was my first time throwing a football around in a movie theater and ducking plastic cutlery projectiles.

As for the main attraction itself, it's been a week and I'm still not sure how to put it into words. Like one of my friends who came with me explained, "It's not something you watch, it's something you experience." Let's run down the list of things that happen in this movie:
  • Close up shots of Tommy Wiseau's cottage cheese butt a la sex scene 5 minutes into the movie.
  • A framed photo of a spoon as set decoration.
  • A non-sequiter scene of the four guys playing football in tuxedos.
  • Audio syncing that makes most VHS era anime dubs look polished.
  • A guy threatens to toss his friend off the roof, changes his mind, then they both continue the conversation like that didn't just happen.
  • This movie takes place over either the span of two days, a week, or a couple of weeks. I gave up trying to puzzle it out.
  • That said, the mother character is wearing something different in EVERY scene. No one comments on this.
  • Gratuitous shots (Shot? I think it might have been the same shot, just played backwards.) of the Golden Gate Bridge to pad for time I guess.
  • The most bizarre love triangle since New Order.
  • Claims of domestic abuse, then planning the alleged abuser's surprise birthday party all in the same conversation.
  • A character wears a watch out of a Lucky Charms box to the birthday party. Not as a plot point, it's just part of his outfit.
  • Cell phones and a tape recorder both being presented as current technology options. This movie was filmed in 2003.

A+ experience, would participate again.

Last edited by Ixo; 01-18-2018 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Movie poster image was way too big; changed to link.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:11 AM
who's she

Randomly got around to watching Thor: The Dark Thor. I had skipped this one because it looked lame, and guess what, it was pretty lame. The actors try really hard to do something with their generic dialog, and the effects are great(it's sad that this still looks vastly better than Wonder Woman), but it's just cliche after cliche. The bad guy is maybe the least impressive of the entire cinematic universe. There's some good action but I've been more emotionally invested in watching paint dry. Even the good bits with Loki are deflated by the movie's predictability.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Randomly got around to watching Thor: The Dark Thor. I had skipped this one because it looked lame, and guess what, it was pretty lame. The actors try really hard to do something with their generic dialog, and the effects are great(it's sad that this still looks vastly better than Wonder Woman), but it's just cliche after cliche. The bad guy is maybe the least impressive of the entire cinematic universe. There's some good action but I've been more emotionally invested in watching paint dry. Even the good bits with Loki are deflated by the movie's predictability.
I had a conversation with a thread about that movie once where we were both only 90% sure we'd actually even seen it because of how hard it was to recall memories of anything at all that happened in it worth noting.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:33 AM
Gesundheit!

Brawl in Cell Block 99 delivers violent, disturbing grindhouse thrills as advertised, but it's also way, way more thematically rich than I was expecting. It is a descent into Hell, level by excruciating level, both figurative and literal (if Vince Vaughn's cross tattoo is any indication). I recommend it, but holy shit please know what you're getting into.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:58 AM
of the Black Falcons

Thor Dark Thor has a bunch of good hammer gags. Plus it has an infinity stone that turns into red melty stuff. That’s about all I remember.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:47 AM
Find Your Reason

It also grossly mishandled Christopher Eccleston and seemingly forbade him from having any fun.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:52 AM
It's all good, man

He's definitely up there in the long history of the MCU wasting actors in villainous roles.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Mystery Contraption

Not only that, it also took two villains I liked from the comics and then did precisely nothing with them.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:19 AM
It's all good, man

Yeah, Malekith is maybe the biggest opportunity they've wasted, although he's sort of just "what if Joker was a dark elf?"
Old 01-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Yeah, Malekith is maybe the biggest opportunity they've wasted, although he's sort of just "what if Joker was a dark elf?"
"Just"?

In a world where I'm tired as hell of the Joker, I'd find that refreshing and interesting!
Old 01-19-2018, 01:23 PM
This Guy

Mary and the Witch's Flower, from Studio Ghibli Ponoc, is solid. It is kind of a Ghibli greatest hits, with shades of tons of their movies, most notably Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky and Yonebayashi's own Arietty. It doesn't reach those heights, but it is largely enjoyable.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Mary and the Witch's Flower, from Studio Ghibli Ponoc, is solid. It is kind of a Ghibli greatest hits, with shades of tons of their movies, most notably Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky and Yonebayashi's own Arietty. It doesn't reach those heights, but it is largely enjoyable.
I'd agree pretty solidly with these sentiments. I saw it dubbed and had a good time, but it definitely strikes me as playing it fairly "safe" both story wise and artistically. It doesn't reach the highs of the best Ghibli movies but I'd still put it way ahead of most things that count for animated movies these days.

The opening sequence is fantastic, but it takes the movie a while to reach that same level of excitement and energy again. I was also disappointed at the very limited number of locations the film takes place in, most of which are very terrestrial for a movie about magic. I do appreciate how well nature is depicted, but it felt like a step down from what we saw in Arrietty and Marnie form the same people.

The number of named characters also seemed very small. There's only a handful, even fewer with speaking parts, and very few background characters. I was sad they just speed through exploring the magic school, which probably had the most interesting visual moments. Mary never speaks to another student, and we don't ever see the students out and about in the impressive grounds. The villains were kind of bland and their motivations less interesting than the best Ghibli ones. It feels kind of unfair to make so many comparisons to Ghibli, but when it's a bunch of ex-staff making a film very much in the Ghibli mold it's hard not to.

I'm glad Ponoc exists since by all accounts Ghibli (as a maker of films) will die with Miyazaki, though I'm glad he came out of retirement (again) to work on one final feature film. It's just unfortunate that all the talent that he fostered had to move on elsewhere to continue their craft; but that talent forming a new studio together in Ponoc is probably the best outcome given the situation. I look forward to their future films where hopefully they'll be able to grow as a studio and take on more "challenging" stories like that ones that generated some of the best Ghibli films.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:18 PM
Video Monster

Dark Thorld is a gorgeous movie and I'd watch it 10 times over most other gorgeous but forgettable SFX epics, but yeah. It is forgettable.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

The Shape of Water was alright
Old 01-20-2018, 08:58 AM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Dark Thorld is a gorgeous movie and I'd watch it 10 times over most other gorgeous but forgettable SFX epics, but yeah. It is forgettable.
The last fight sequence is aces, and worth your time.
Old Yesterday, 01:46 AM
The Maniac Of The Future

Watched a couple of decent scary flicks last night.

Under The Shadows is a fantastically atmospheric and intense Iranian-made ghost story. Set during the Iran-Iraq conflict (which one? Beats me, there's probably been plenty) a woman and her young daughter are left behind in a slummy tenement building when her doctor husband is conscripted into doctoring on the front lines of the war. The story itself, which sees the young lady and her adorable daughter beset upon by "Djinn" (Iranian ghosts) as they manifest in more and more inexplicable but concrete ways is pretty stock standard ghost story storytelling. But the suffocating atmosphere, especially as it relates to being a woman (an educated and politically active woman at that) in a land of male oppression and dealing with being literal seconds away from being atomized by a missile strike (one of which actually hits the building, but fails to detonate) makes up for the fairly pedestrian story. There's a bit of the old "are the ghosts real or are they hallucinations brought upon by stress and lack of sleep?" thing. But that gets hand-waived away, as things become more outwardly supernatural. Its a shame, because the story lets down the unique presentation and world the movie sets itself in. Under The Shadows is good, but not unique. Solid, but predictable.

I'll give it 7 creepy naked guys coming through your ceiling out of 10.

They Look Like People was the other fright flick I caught. And it was excellent. The closest one-liner review I can think to give it would be a "mumblecore alien invasion movie". Its like a smarter, less ostentatious and obviously allegorical version of Signs. The story is super basic, a transient heads into the city and meets with his friend and moves in with him temporarily. As his buddy goes about his daily activities, transient dude is secretly preparing himself for a war that only he knows is coming. He's armed with axes, hammers, knives, a nailgun with the safety limiter removed, and bottles of sulfuric acid (I haven't been in a hardware store in a while, can the average person buy sulfuric acid in your average local mom 'n' pop hardware shop?). Eventually, his buddy loses his job and we see both of them break down. There's a great deal of mental hardship in this movie. We're never entirely sure if our transient friend is crazy or if there is some secret invasion occurring. It bears out, by the end, that transient guy and jobless friend hide out in the basement and wait for the oncoming battle. I don't want to give too much more away. But They Look Like People is an unsettling movie. Transient dude wants to do the right thing. He's the protagonist in his own head canon story. And his clearly broken phone rhapsodizes at him about an invasion that only he understands. He's one of the "blessed ones". And the simple question of "is this guy crazy or are these creatures real?" carries the movie.

In another movie, we'd see transient dude's friend; the "normal" guy with a good job and a budding relationship with his hot boss, as the character with the answers. Or at least the character who'd be there to create the perspective to allow the viewers to see what the director wants them to see. But even he becomes an unreliable narrator. He constantly listens to a self-help tape. He's obsessed with "dominating". But he constantly falters, fighting a lack of self-confidence. By the end of movie, he loses his job (seemingly because his department becomes redundant, but given the note left on his monitor at his desk, somebody there clearly had it out for him) and he spends the rest of the picture drinking heavily and losing sleep.

By the end of the movie, we're not sure if the crazy homeless guy talking to a broken phone and his alcohol binging buddy are feeding off of each other's craziness and being each other's enabler, or if they're just crazy enough to believe a subtle alien invasion that's been generating its numbers since the time of Jesus is real, and they're just the guys to stop it.

They Look Like People is an alien invasion movie about a guy who, if he acted on his "heroic impulses" would be the next American mass shooter. Its fantastic.
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM
Oily Butt Thing

You ever see William Friedkin's Bug? Good one that treads through some similar territory.
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM
The Maniac Of The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
You ever see William Friedkin's Bug? Good one that treads through some similar territory.
Can't say I have. But now I kinda want to.
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sampson View Post
The Shape of Water was alright
That's the way I felt.

I find Pan's Labyrinth to be the most immediately comparable film from Del Toro. To me, Pan's Labyrinth has more themes at play, feels more visceral, and is the far superior film. But the Shape of Water is the film that gets Del Toro award nominations? I guess it pays to make your movie in English.

I didn't dislike the Shape of Water, but it felt slight to me in some aspects.
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM
This Guy

I disagree, I thought The Shape of Water was maybe del Toro's best, alongside Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy 2. I thought it had a lot of interesting things going on, from the monster romance to the Cold War backdrop to Michael Shannon as the avatar for toxic masculinity. I can't really argue with the Pan's Labyrinth comparison, since I haven't seen that movie in the better part of a decade.
Old Today, 08:23 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Johnny and I finally got around to watching the 2016 Ghostbusters. It was pretty good! A couple of the cameos were really awkward and forced (Dan Aykroyd's & Sigourney Weaver's), as were a couple of the meta jokes, and I hated the big outdoor action fight scene near the end, but on the whole it was still a good time.
Old Today, 09:18 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
AKA Ashley Judd And Michael Shannon Go Buck Wild

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road