The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-28-2017, 07:32 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Bran would follow up with "...before he's balls deep."
Old 08-28-2017, 10:06 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I was very impressed with Jon's ability to keep a sculpted and hairless ass with everything going on.
I, too, was impressed.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:17 AM

It's a weird thing to root for incest, but 2017 has been a strange year.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:08 PM
Your life is forfeit

Despite some of the questionable lead-up over the past few episode, Littlefinger's demise was deeply satisfying, especially the fact that he died from the same kind of slashing throat wound that killed Catelyn. Finally, something they could share!
Old 08-29-2017, 01:41 PM
We just don't know.

The finale was much less groan-worthy than last episode, but everything still feels kind of stilted. They're rushing through a lot of heady stuff without giving it any room to develop. I wish they hadn't cut down the number of episodes, or at least done 8. The plotting got pretty lazy and predictable this season too, and the rush is doing it no favors because we don't get to see any of the really good stuff breathe.

Which finally makes me realize what the show has been missing. Remember when the best parts of the series would be just, like, two awesome characters traveling or sitting in a room and interacting? Arya and Tywin, Tyrion and Bronn, Jaime and Brienne, Arya and the Hound, Varys and anybody. those were the strongest parts of the series early on. This season could and should have had some of the best of that all series. They had so many guaranteed home runs pitched underhand to them and they whiffed almost all of them. Every single angle of all the Stark kids' reunions after so many years, I mean, I wanted to see so much MORE of Bran and Arya and Sansa just interacting 1-on-1 or all three together. And so many new meetings closing old loops that they barely touched on.
~Jorah and Jon - Jon smitten with Dany and vice-versa while also navigating Jon's role as Jeor's erstwhile heir. That's solid dramatic gold, especially if they play it well and it's not a cheesy rivalry but conflicts all that with a growing mutual respect or something and giving them both chances to grow or evolve. Instead we get, what, one quick conversation about a sword and one or two mopey glances and nothing else.
~Fucking Tyrion and Bronn get what, four or five lines together and half of it is boring!
~Brienne and Jaime's reunion barely even happened, they had half a tacked-on conversation about nothing.
~The Hound and his zombie brother were barely acknowledged.
~Brienne and the Hound, again, one quick conversation. Which was great, but, give me even just one more!
~Tormund and the Hound, that could have been so much fun. Tyrion and Jon fared a little better but they could have done so much more with that.
~They brought back Gendry and then after the mission and his marathon they gave him literally zero more screen time.

~Jon did get some time with Theon, and I don't think it needed more time, but it touched on a lot of stuff that could have been much better developed (in particular, Jon giving a speech to Theon about how Ned may not have been his real father but was still totally his father in his heart, y'know, wink wink nudge nudge). Though the more I think about it, the more I think that was okay as-is.

No wonder everything feels rushed. The things that used to fill out the plot and episodes were the real meat of the series. Now we've just got kind of a bony husk left.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:05 PM

I will largely endorse your critiques Paul, but I will add that:

Tyrion and Bronn, and Brienne and Jaime's interactions, while you'd obviously want more, were effective in their brevity. Tyrion and Bronn had some quick banter, but both of them cut through it fast to get to what mattered (honest, direct, sincere appreciation of one another) since both knew the gravity of the situation. And I thought that was an effective and affecting lead into their life or death negotiations. Brienne and Jaime's also, I thought served a purpose of giving Jaime the perspective he needed to finally confront his sister. Brienne - the one person who effectively guided Jaime's conscious during the entire show and gave him renewed appreciation for honor and duty - is the one telling him fuck it, there's important things he has to worry about. That was pretty powerful to me, and the brevity of that scene helps sell it too since it gives the feeling of "we don't have time to banter, this is what's really important."
Old 08-29-2017, 02:51 PM
You must whip it

The more I think about it, at this point it seems like the best possible ruler of Westeros would be Sansa.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:16 AM
till the sheriff stops by

This week was fun. And despite that, I'ma gonna complain.

When Jamie challenged Cersei to actually kill her, I was very certain it was going to happen. And I would have loved it. I like the character, but his redemptive arc stalled recently and as much as I want it to be complete, ending it this way would have been an interesting way to show how different the Lannister siblings have become and not even realized it. I mean, I also like how in this episode, while Cersei continues to be an awful human being she is an awful human being with some humanity (which is why I liked the scene between her and Tyrion). But she is also learning to put more of that away as she's blinded to the fact that her plans to "save her family" are clearly destroying it.

In fact, Cersei's intentions didn't need to be entirely there. What I mean is, she could have given the mountain standing orders assuming Jamie wouldn't defy the Mountain. He does anyway, ends up dead for it and Cersei is horrified that Jamie would die at the hands of the Mountain. Also, surprisingly good on Frankenstein Mountain for actually knowing it was a bluff.

Unfortunately, the show seems even afraid to kill Tormund. I understand when people say "this isn't a show all about killing characters, and when they did that because there was a point". But for a land about to be neck deep in zombies, everything feels disappointingly safe. Of course, it would also mean I was impressed with the Internet for not giving it away. Even when the Internet tries to be tight lipped, I totally would have known something is up if there were a bunch of think piece articles on Jamie before the episode ended.

God, I hope the show ends the war with the dead within the first couple episodes of the last season. Unless they surprise us with some surprising emotional depth from the white walkers. Because emotionally, I'm far less invested in the apocalypse as I am in what happens next. Characters chickens coming home to roost and dealing with the fallout of their actions and decisions over the course of a lifetime is far more interesting to me than "Good guys Vs. evil faceless hordes." Who have a big, obvious, video game style weakness... That I totally wish they didn't have. It makes a threat I wasn't as interested in a little less interesting.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:43 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

This finale was just good enough that I'll stick it out for the final season, but this season has definitely been a disappointing and frustrating one overall. Prominently featuring sexy incest interleaved with explicit reveals of that incest was a... weird choice. Also, the final shot was almost a really cheesy one of the dragon flying right into the screen and I think that would have been the perfect encapsulation of everything wrong with this season.

I loved something about Jaime's exasperated gesticulating as he explains to Cersei that whichever side survives up north will then come back south and kill them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I'm glad that Arya vs. Sansa was a work, but I'm curious when that started. A couple of the scenes in Winterfell make a lot less sense if they were onto Littlefinger the whole time.
I think you've already given this more thought than the writers did. Like, this was as good a resolution to a pretty bad plotline as could be hoped for, but I don't think any previous scene with them this season makes much sense given this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Despite some of the questionable lead-up over the past few episode, Littlefinger's demise was deeply satisfying, especially the fact that he died from the same kind of slashing throat wound that killed Catelyn. Finally, something they could share!
I really liked Bran's role in it. The camera spends a few moments focusing on him as it's revealed that Littlefinger supplied the knife that was used in an attempt on his life, and he doesn't react at all. Yet apparently he did think it worthwhile to tell his sisters all of the shit that Baelish has been up to, and thank god for that. I'm curious how he'll react to Jaime when they're reunited, if at all. The little wierdo might thank him for setting him on the path that led him to his current role.

Similarly, Johnny raised the point that Sam is about to meet the lady that burned his father and brother to death (although it seems like he still doesn't know about that). I can't really see much potential there, though, because honestly not a lot hinges on that character at this point. Plus it's not like he was their biggest fan anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Also, surprisingly good on Frankenstein Mountain for actually knowing it was a bluff.
As Johnny and I workshopped in our post-show discussion:

Cersei: "Alright, now, I want you to listen carefully. When I nod, I want you act like you're going to kill my brother, but don't actually kill him. Got it?"

Mountain: "…kIlL BroTHeR…"

Cersei, squeezing the bridge of her nose: "No, DON'T kill brother. Look, it's like we're playing pretend. Okay? I want you to pretend to kill my brother. Do you understand pretend?"

Cersei, throwing up hands: "Y'know what? Fuck it. Fine, just kill my brother."

[THE MOUNTAIN EXITS THE SCENE TO THE RIGHT IN SEARCH OF THE HOUND]
Old 08-30-2017, 02:41 PM
You must whip it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
THE MOUNTAIN EXITS THE SCENE TO THE RIGHT IN SEARCH OF THE HOUND HERMANO
Old 04-14-2019, 09:08 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Curb Your Branthusiasm

An edited clip from Season 8 Episode 1.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:15 AM
You must whip it

Hey everyone, it's your old pal Lighting Children on Fire! Didja miss me?
Old 04-15-2019, 04:03 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Why is there more sexual chemistry between Arya and Gendry than between Jon and Dany?
Old 04-15-2019, 06:45 AM
Born in the USA

Presumably this was the majority of the quiet character interaction scenes for the entire season so I enjoyed the episode a lot for what it was.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:32 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Hi, thread I've never read before. Because I've never actually watched or read any Game of Thrones (well, not quite strictly, pretty sure I saw a scene of a dragon tearing up an army once, probably from some previous season finale).

So it was a little weird that I ended up dropping in on some friends and watching like the last half of the final episode of the previous season (from the death of Littlefinger scene on)) and the new episode. My friends had to.... uh.... explain a few things here and there.

Anyway I have no idea if I'll bother watching more, but that was a journey.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:17 PM

How next episode opens

"I am so, SO sorry I threw you from top of a..."
"I don't care."
"A'ight!"
Jamie goes on his merry way.

Decent enough first episode, I guess, for a table setter. I really hope the war with the white walkers ends within the next episode or so because I care less about them as the threat and more what positions everyone will be in once the smoke clears and a lot of these characters decide they are enemies. "Good Vs. Evil" seems pretty damned simplistic in the world of the show and not nearly as interesting as all the other conflicts between characters. My unrealistic dream is one more episode for the white walkers, two episodes for the war for the throne, then two episodes exploring the next 50 years to see what cycles have been broken and which ones have not).

Also, still not that interested in the Jon/Dany relationship and am more interested in exploring Sam's argument that Dany wouldn't sacrifice her rule to protect her people. Personally, I think maybe neither should (I mean, Jon clearly has strengths but he sure as Hell exposed his weaknesses at the Battle of the Bastards) but I don't see any free elections at King's Landing anytime soon.

I am shocked SHOCKED that when Cersei basically said "*sigh* OK, fine, lets fuck.", Euron didn't pump his fist and try to high five the Mountain.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:47 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Not an actual spoiler, but the director who does a lot of big battle scenes is directing episode 3. Anyway, that still leaves 3 episodes after the battle.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:56 PM

tbh galaxy-brain-Bran probably thanks him for setting things in motion
Old 04-17-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Not an actual spoiler, but the director who does a lot of big battle scenes is directing episode 3. Anyway, that still leaves 3 episodes after the battle.
That does make me somewhat hopeful that this aspect of the story won't drag out into the end of the series, at least.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:24 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

Fuck I wish my garbage fire of a brain could remember anything. Like, I was dimly aware that at some point in the past I'd have found some of the reunions from this episode to be deeply moving but instead I'm trying to remember which of them are even reunions at all. Something that I used to be very emotionally invested in is just a curiousity now, and all because I can't remember anything. I think I can remember most of the stuff from, say, the first few seasons pretty well (probably in part because I read the first few books back in the 90s), but after that it's just [SCENE MISSING]. It really, really bums me out. I'm just not capable of following something this serial with year-long gaps in the middle. Reading back through this thread, clearly I remembered the previous season at some point!

Quote:
How next episode opens

"I am so, SO sorry I threw you from top of a..."
"I don't care."
"A'ight!"
Jamie goes on his merry way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
tbh galaxy-brain-Bran probably thanks him for setting things in motion
From my post just up-thread, at the end of the previous season, back when I remembered literally anything about this show:

Quote:
I really liked Bran's role in it. The camera spends a few moments focusing on him as it's revealed that Littlefinger supplied the knife that was used in an attempt on his life, and he doesn't react at all. Yet apparently he did think it worthwhile to tell his sisters all of the shit that Baelish has been up to, and thank god for that. I'm curious how he'll react to Jaime when they're reunited, if at all. The little wierdo might thank him for setting him on the path that led him to his current role.
---

Quote:
I really hope the war with the white walkers ends within the next episode or so because I care less about them as the threat and more what positions everyone will be in once the smoke clears and a lot of these characters decide they are enemies.
I agree with you completely, but unfortunately the sense I get is that a lot of the fans don't.

Quote:
Also, still not that interested in the Jon/Dany relationship and am more interested in exploring Sam's argument that Dany wouldn't sacrifice her rule to protect her people. Personally, I think maybe neither should (I mean, Jon clearly has strengths but he sure as Hell exposed his weaknesses at the Battle of the Bastards) but I don't see any free elections at King's Landing anytime soon.
Don't forget our good boy Gendry. There has to be some reason that this episode kept coming back to him. They really don't want stupid people like me to forget that he exists.

Also, points to you for this from your post at the end of last season:

Quote:
Similarly, Johnny raised the point that Sam is about to meet the lady that burned his father and brother to death (although it seems like he still doesn't know about that).
And, laughing at my own jokes and all that, but I still find this deeply funny:

Quote:
As Johnny and I workshopped in our post-show discussion:

Cersei: "Alright, now, I want you to listen carefully. When I nod, I want you act like you're going to kill my brother, but don't actually kill him. Got it?"

Cersei, squeezing the bridge of her nose: "No, DON'T kill brother. Look, it's like we're playing pretend. Okay? I want you to pretend to kill my brother. Do you understand pretend?"

Cersei, throwing up hands: "Y'know what? Fuck it. Fine, just kill my brother."

[THE MOUNTAIN EXITS THE SCENE TO THE RIGHT IN SEARCH OF THE HOUND]
Old 04-17-2019, 06:14 AM
Born in the USA

Sapochnik is also directing the fifth episode.

They're definitely not resolving the war against the Night King in one episode.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:10 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Don't forget our good boy Gendry. There has to be some reason that this episode kept coming back to him. They really don't want stupid people like me to forget that he exists
I think this is true, but also the reason they don't want you to forget [insert one of many side-characters here] exists could just be to set them up for a tearful heroic sacrifice (or bleak miserable meaningless death) in the near future.

(This isn't a prediction about what will happen to that character in particular, just a general observation.)
Old 04-21-2019, 07:49 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

The scene of Brianne's knighting ceremony and the conversations around it were everything I wanted from this season. Also, Podrick has a nice singing voice.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:00 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Presumably this was the majority of the quiet character interaction scenes for the entire season so I enjoyed the episode a lot for what it was.
I'm glad we got another one. A tight focus on one location made it probably even more of this than episode one.
Old 04-21-2019, 11:02 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

also uhhhh

"hey everyone, make sure you go down to the SAFE CRYPT"

it's very safe

a very safe crypt indeed

did we mention yet that nowhere could be safer . . . than this crypt?

Old 04-22-2019, 05:02 AM

Know where we'll be safe from zombies? In a graveyard!!!

Yeah, that was... something. I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun though to have Arya stab her ancestors or somethin'.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:56 AM
Born in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I'm glad we got another one. A tight focus on one location made it probably even more of this than episode one.
Yeah it was good. The last season had a bunch of nonsense but so far this one has been what I like to see from the show when heads aren't getting chopped off.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:42 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

That was a great episode. I'm enjoying this season a lot more than I expected to.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:30 AM
You must whip it

Searches for "how old is Arya in season 8?" spiked massively last night for some reason...
Old 04-22-2019, 02:52 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
Game of Thrones: Maisie Williams discusses Arya's surprise Gendry scene

Exclusive:
'At first I thought it was a prank..."
so did i

(source)

Tags
boob of boobs , da king inna norf , hbo , hodor , meanwhile in dorne , ours is the fury , stupid sexy jorah , television , the north remembers , tits and dragons , wincest , you know nothing