The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-13-2017, 02:09 PM
Sega CD version is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
The prank is that Samus is now a Nazi.
Metroid Prime 4, developed by Tim Soret.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:24 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
MercurySteam … through all their work have consistently displayed an absolute inability to write and depict women in any meaningful fashion.
Oof, I didn't even consider this angle. And on Metroid II, no less. That doesn't bode well.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:31 PM
if-then-eels

hopefully they'll give this game as much story content as zero mission, which is to say very little
Old 06-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
The prank is that Samus is an X parasite clone that somehow survived the events of Fusion being driven through a holodeck replication of SR388 so the Galactic Federation can collect data on how the real Samus fights to attempt to put her down in Metroid 5: Why'd You Crash Our Space Zoo Into A Planet?
Fixed.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:38 PM
Sega CD version is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
hopefully they'll give this game as much story content as zero mission, which is to say very little
I was going to say, given it is a remake of a game with little plot to begin with, and they were emphasizing the isolated feeling of the game, I'm not sure there is going to be much for MercurySteam to fuck up.

Though I must say, that MercurySteam guy's creepy leering of the two Treehouse staffers onstage with him did not go unnoticed by me...
Old 06-13-2017, 02:38 PM
Fifth Business

To be fair, I don't even know if there IS a way to make Metroid II of all games have troublesome gender issues.

(Final boss fight with Metroid Queen re-imagined into a tearful conversation between her and Samus over the men in their life)

IT JUST FAILED THE BECHDEL TEST

(Samus' upper-body strength fails her during the final escape and she gets violently killed, her otherwise pointless death serving to inspire and lend further motivation to the male, brown-haired, wise-cracking baby metroid, now set to be the new protagonist of the series)

GODDAMMIT
Old 06-13-2017, 02:42 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

My worry is not that they will introduce problematic elements, but that they will downplay the existing maternal themes and symbolism.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Armor Guardian

The demo opened up with a cutscene of Samus landing on the planet with no talking or exposition or anything like that. Assuming that's indicative of the final game, I don't think we'll be getting any problematic story content. (Here's hoping.)

It's interesting that this is the second Metroid 2 remake to be made by a Spanish team (MercurySteam is from Spain, AM2R-guy is Argentinian).

The fact that the jingles are exactly the same as Metroid Prime's is really weirding me out.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Outer Spacean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Hey guys I'm back from work lemme just check what Nintendo announced at E3 real quick......

Oh. T-two new Metroids games?

Really?

Is this a prank? Am I being pranked?
Holy shit it's Christmas for WildcatJF this E3

Mercurysteam is not a dev I've had any high hopes for, but this trailer looks solid enough for me to be intrigued. I will hope that the remake will hew close to the story in the original (which is mostly shown and not told, and Samus will be relatively silent).
Old 06-13-2017, 03:40 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
To be fair, I don't even know if there IS a way to make Metroid II of all games have troublesome gender issues.

(Final boss fight with Metroid Queen re-imagined into a tearful conversation between her and Samus over the men in their life)

IT JUST FAILED THE BECHDEL TEST

(Samus' upper-body strength fails her during the final escape and she gets violently killed, her otherwise pointless death serving to inspire and lend further motivation to the male, brown-haired, wise-cracking baby metroid, now set to be the new protagonist of the series)

GODDAMMIT
but what is the Metroid's name?

Cade Metroid
Jaxx Metroid
Jay Metroid
Marcus Metroid
Jake Metroid
Jai Courtney
Old 06-13-2017, 03:51 PM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Cade Metroid
Cade doesn't sound like a very take-charge, manly protagonist name. What is he, some kind of Beta Metroid
Old 06-13-2017, 03:55 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Oof, I didn't even consider this angle. And on Metroid II, no less. That doesn't bode well.
Contract developers do not call the shots, especially when it comes to story. Lords of Shadow was Konami's mess.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:56 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Contract developers do not call the shots, especially when it comes to story. Lords of Shadow was Konami's mess.
I'm going to hang onto this ledge by my fingers and maybe press up to crawl onto it.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:01 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
This was my thought/hope. I'm optimistic that this will be more of a second-party development and Nintendo will be keeping this as faithful a Metroid game as it appears so far. Granted, Nintendo itself has may misteps in the series, but I'm cautiously hopeful.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

I thought MercurySteam's 3DS Castlevania was a faily solid combination of God of War elements and Metroidvania elements. I mean, I took the time to 100% it and everything. I would have preferred it focusing more on incentivizing combat via making it the path of least resistance rather than locking you into kill screens, but the combat itself was fine once you got a few options. Giving the three different characters completely different traversal skills and magic was a great twist on the genre.

Or in other words, I have no reservations about this game. It will be at least Good.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:13 PM
Find Your Reason

Also: Metroid Other M wasn't sexist because of Team Ninja. It was all Sakamoto's writing, as was the game design that came up with "Concentration" and invisible walls in a Metroid game.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:20 PM
Love is OGR

Watched footage of this being played. Metroid's aesthetic has been so stubbornly set in place since Prime and Zero Mission, and this looks and sounds like a direct follow-up to those. Really clinically sterile menus and interface. The environments are a lot more spacious and open, and lighter-lit, so the sense of extreme subterranean claustrophobia from Metroid II seems to be mostly absent. There's a huge emphasis on the Chozos's presence, meaning those same yellowish weathered ruins we've seen so many times on a host of different planets, and more interaction with their contraptions to proceed within the world. The original game had Chozo ruins, technology and abandoned automatons but because the visuals left more room for ambiguous interpretation and the design hadn't solidified at that point, they stand out as more foreign and interesting now.

The audio is just... the exact same musical direction the series has had since Prime and Zero Mission, I guess because the same composers keep working on it. Lots of sleep-inducing sweeping choral work, a huge diversion and frankly speaking, a downgrade from Ryoji Yoshitomi's masterfully anxious, unsettling and dissonant Metroid II soundtrack. They play the dang lower Norfair theme in a high-temperature area, again. The unique tonal qualities of Metroid II are just completely thrown out and replaced with something more consistently identifiable but ultimately less interesting.

The 360-degree aiming reminds me of Turrican and that seems a neat evolution of Metroid's previous hard diagonal aiming.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:24 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
I mean, I love Metroid 2, but it is also a game where you are rewarded for your alien parasite genocide with sexy swimsuit pinups.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:24 PM
if-then-eels

straight-up copying satie's vexations and randomly speeding up, slowing down, and cutting the sound to it would do a great job of bridging the gap between super metroid + up's musical style with the original style of metroid ii
Old 06-13-2017, 04:31 PM
Fifth Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I mean, I love Metroid 2, but it is also a game where you are rewarded for your alien parasite genocide with sexy swimsuit pinups.
True enough! That aspect just didn't even occurr to me because I've never beaten a Metroid game quickly enough for it to come up. I usually take so long that the ending is her putting a parka on over her power-suit.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:38 PM
oh my car

They've given us ample cause for pessimism, but I'm glad of the show of faith.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Outer Spacean

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
If Nintendo actually ditches this sexist pandering in this game I may have to give it GOTY just for that alone.

(I doubt they will entirely...the Zero Suit exists...but I am fucking hopeful)
Old 06-13-2017, 05:53 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post

Cade Metroid
Jaxx Metroid
Jay Metroid
Marcus Metroid
Jake Metroid
Jai Courtney
It's Silent Bob, actually.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:10 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
It's Silent Bob, actually.
Jace Metroid
Male Shephetroid
Old 06-13-2017, 07:21 PM
More than two problems

How long has this game been in development?

I have a hunch it may only exist at all because of AM2R. "Oh shit, people want Metroid 2 again. Sakamoto's gonna be pissed if we let this one slide... *sigh* get him in here. And find a developer who's still willing to work with him after the Other M incident."
Old 06-13-2017, 07:23 PM
oh my car

Do we even know if Sakamoto's involved?
Old 06-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

They took down AM2R, what, six, eight months ago? Takes a lot longer than that to get a project off the ground.

What is more likely is that they knew they had a Metroid 2 remake of their own in the pipeline and didn't want an unofficial one staking out the same territory.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:24 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

My guess is Nintendo would have killed that project even if they had planned to never touch Metroid ever again.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:26 PM
y cant axiom crawl?

So Nintendo remade Metroid 1, and is now remaking Metroid 2. What would happen if they kept going along those lines? The Internet would glow with takes so hot it collapses into a new star.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Do we even know if Sakamoto's involved?
He was part of the E3 Treehouse event where they revealed the game, so I think he is.

Tags
aaahh!!! real metroids , another metroid 2 remake , galaxy is not at peace , game over return of samus , ibelieveinsakamoto , metro android , metroid , metroid 2 , metroid 2ds , metroid is dead , metroid of fate , monkey's paw? , new good metroid games , nintendo , nintendo 3ds , nintendo wins e3 again , return of return of samus , y can metroid punch?