The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-13-2017, 11:24 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
If you're lucky it will get a Player's Choice rerelease. Nintendo games outside of disastrous bombs rarely get drastic price cuts.
If you're a club Nintendo member, you might get a chance at a coupon for a 10% discount in 4-5 years if you have already spent hundreds of dollars on other games.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
I find nearly all Nintendo games stubbornly hold their original RRP (or close to it) forever, except for when they become "rare" and soar upward, as in the case of the Prime Trilogy.
Maybe generally, but if you shop around, you might find even Nintendo games discounted here and there. It's just that the general price level across all stores doesn't really go down, and in most stores the stock for Nintendo games seems to be so tight that the games go out of stock before they ever get discounts.

And then there are the games that just keep selling. I still see the Wii big names like Wii Sports regularly on the shelves.

For Samus Returns, hard to say which way it will go. I'm guessing it will keep its price for a long time, but it will also stay on store shelves for a long time.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:48 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
*high five*

Seriously, that game was great. I actually came across the game by accident. I snagged the Wii copy to either trade in or give away (it was $2 sealed!), and I always test things before I do that, regardless. Imagine my surprise when it was a brand new game! Imagine my further surprise that it wasn't just a new game, but probably better than the "big" version of it!

Yeah, anybody who likes Prince of Persia should play the game. It even makes sensible use of the Wii remote.
It's strange they didn't give it an original title. Possibly even stranger, there is re-print of Sands of Time for PS2 that just uses the cover for Forgotten Sands. Wh--why?!

Yup. While the combat is pretty much as expected (waggling), including pointer mechanics that help you in combat was a cool addition. The ability create handholds, spouts to get you higher, etc made the platforming feel way more organic. Also, while not an HD game, it was still quite the looker. Good textures, a much brighter, more vivid color scheme than much of the HD game (which was very, very brown)--reminded me a little of the gorgeous PoP 2009. Widescreen didn't hurt, either.

It made up in many ways for Rival Swords for Wii. Which did absolutely nothing to take advantage of being a new port. No improved framerate, textures, bonus features, or even widescreen. I think it actually had less blood. No Gamecube controller support. It's literally just, "Did you want to play Two Thrones with a Wii Remote and Nunchuck? This is for you!"
Old 09-13-2017, 11:04 PM
if-then-eels

I got Metroid Prime Trilogy for like $40 complete at a Gamestop

in like October or so of 2014
Old 09-13-2017, 11:28 PM
Chief Servbot

I saw a report somewhere that Super Smash Bros. Brawl sold like 50,000 copies last year. The game still goes for like $30
Old 09-14-2017, 07:31 AM
Getting Equipped

The cheapest way to get most Nintendo published games, if you don't want to buy them at launch, is to wait for Best Buy to do a Buy 1, Get 1 40% off. It also helps to have GCU.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:41 PM
King Of Space-Time

Old 09-14-2017, 01:57 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I watched that entire damn video despite myself. More puppets as YouTube personalities, por favor.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:00 PM

I'm one of those "physical" folks. I also buy used. But absolutely, if it's a series that you absolutely want to continue, buy that sucker day-one brand new. I do that with mainline Dragon Quest games, for example, and I absolutely did it with this game.

Now I probably need to go buy Ys VIII...
Old 09-14-2017, 02:36 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Yeah, I'm one of those physical folks as well. I like having that plastic case on the shelf; I like collecting things.

I'm old enough to remember walking into a local mom-and-pop record store, deliberating on a choice, and finally picking up that obscure punk or industrial album. The CD was part of the experience; the artwork was part of the experience; how you acquired the album was part of the experience. There was work involved and there was delicious payoff. You felt more connected to the media and to the artist.

I love Steam and other digital storefronts but I've always felt it cheapens the experience and introduces a degree of triviality. The connective tissue is severed or severely handicapped. "Look at this Humble Bundle! 15 games for $15!" Great, in theory, I suppose. But it always gives me pause.

Unless it can only be had in digital format, I always buy physical and always new. The only time I buy used is when that's the only way to get the game because it isn't manufactured anymore. (And, yes, I understand digital negates a lot of that because "manufactured" becomes a meaningless concept.)
Old 09-14-2017, 04:21 PM
TARANTUL

I'm actually worried about the amount of space on my 3DS at this point, since I have some fairly large digital games already.

That said I'll hopefully pick up a New 2DS with a bigger card at some point...
Old 09-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Amazon let me know my copy is on its way!
Old 09-14-2017, 04:39 PM
Outer Spacean

I'm considering being stupid and buying this tomorrow. Cause I need a happys. Expect me to throw some stuff on sale this weekend to help me justify it!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:19 AM
Mystery Contraption

Had enough time before work to play through the intro area and a good chunk of Area 1.

Had the biggest, dopiest grin the whole time..

It was like coming home.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:05 AM
Just bear with me

Parish seemed to come to a different conclusion, saying that the emphasis on combat missed the point of the series and broke the game's flow. We'll see if other reviewers come to similar conclusions. The fact that it was designed by Mercurysteam gives me pause.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:01 AM
Out Of Warranty

I somehow managed to get a Legacy edition - I disliked using the retailer I ended up with, since they do inflate their prices a bit, but everybody else was sold out and the price was still reasonable. It's supposed to be in the mail.

That said, the moment the clock stroke midnight today, the release day, suddenly there were a dozen listings of the Legacy edition from individual resellers in Amazon, starting at the low low price of 160€ -_-

Fuck scalpers.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:25 AM
New Video World is out!

This game is what you want.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Parish seemed to come to a different conclusion, saying that the emphasis on combat missed the point of the series and broke the game's flow. We'll see if other reviewers come to similar conclusions. The fact that it was designed by Mercurysteam gives me pause.
Well, he's played a lot farther into it than I have, but I always enjoyed the combat every bit as much as the exploration so I'm coming at it from a different direction as well.

Kind of feels like Mercury Steam giving you an apology card with a sad-looking teddy bear that says "I'm Bear-y Sorry about the last game".
Old 09-15-2017, 06:40 AM
Unreleased Beta Version

It's sad that a lot of Metroid II's identity has been replaced with Super Metroid and Metroid Prime. But other than that, this seems pretty good so far.

I really hate playing action games on 3DS, though, to be honest.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:56 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
My frustrations settled in later, once backtracking becomes more of a critical concern. The first area was great.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:37 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I really hate playing action games on 3DS, though, to be honest.
I actually bought a grip for my 3DS just so I can play it without hand cramps.

Planning to go pick up a copy after work today. Excited
Old 09-15-2017, 07:49 AM

Does this game make use of the nub at all, and if so can it be used with the Circle Pad Pro?

I like playing with the CPP solely because it is so much easier to hold.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Mystery Contraption

I haven't seen any N3DS features at all; except for Amiibo support.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:46 AM
whatever it takes

I got a cute little Samus keychain with my preorder! I wasn't expecting that.

:3
Old 09-15-2017, 08:55 AM
120 Days

that's pretty bad ass
Old 09-15-2017, 09:43 AM

How does that game look on a real 3DS screen? I really wish Nintendo was better about having 3D video footage you can watch ON a 3DS. It's always a artifacted video, usually showing another 3DS screen as well.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

It looks so, so much better on the native hardware.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:49 PM
I. Love. It.

I got Samus Returns!

And the amiibo two-pack!

And an NFC-reader for my non-New 3DS because I saw one at the store and remembered I had the other two Samus amiibo and had a moment of personal weakness!

Hooray!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:55 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

My copy apparently just left Mesquite, TX. Scheduled delivery is Monday.

And that's fine. I was going to wait until after Xmas to pick it up but then I remembered I'll be at a conference in Orlando the last week of this month. Gonna need something to do in the hotel room while I drift off to Sleepland.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:59 PM
whatever it takes

The amiibos are HUGE. Samus looks like she would be about twice the height of the Smash amiibo if she stood up, and the Metroid itself and its capsule are gargantuan.

Tags
aaahh!!! real metroids , another metroid 2 remake , galaxy is not at peace , game over return of samus , ibelieveinsakamoto , metro android , metroid , metroid 2 , metroid 2ds , metroid is dead , metroid of fate , monkey's paw? , new good metroid games , nintendo , nintendo 3ds , nintendo wins e3 again , return of return of samus , y can metroid punch?