The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-24-2017, 01:17 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Default Splatoon 2

I thought we already had a thread, but I guess it's just been in the Switch one. Anyway, this is my most anticipated game on Switch.

The testfire starts right now! (And I am at work, boo)
  • March 24: 12-12:59 p.m. PT
  • March 24: 8-8:59 p.m. PT
  • March 25: 4-4:59 a.m. PT
  • March 25: 12-12:59 p.m. PT
  • March 25: 8-8:59 p.m. PT
  • March 26: 4-4:59 a.m. PT

Anyone hopping on tonight?
Old 03-24-2017, 01:19 PM
Fishing for Felbloom

Since I missed out on finding a Switch in time for Zelda, this is going to be the game I buy a Switch for, once they announce a release date.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:24 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

This thread should be locked because it's not called Spltwoon. Or Spl2on. Either way, this thread is crimes and illegal
Old 03-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Also while checking times I found this which is interesting:

Quote:
We’re also happy to report that Splatoon 2 will be compatible with Splatoon series amiibo figures and, for the first time in the series, with an upcoming Nintendo Switch app for smart devices that enhances online play. This app will connect to the game and allow players to set play appointments with friends and teammates who have been added to their Nintendo Switch friend list or via their social media accounts. It also allows players to match up with those friends directly in the game or voice chat with them via their smart device. For example, during a Private Battle, players can voice chat with all of their connected friends when they divide into teams, but once teams are set, voice chat is switched to communication only between teammates on the same team.
So voice chat will be through an app rather than the Switch itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
This thread should be locked because it's not called Spltwoon. Or Spl2on. Either way, this thread is crimes and illegal
Yes, mods please fix it to some sort of pun, I am ashamed.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:33 PM
TARANTUL

Splatoon: There are Two of Them

(looses something without the StrongBad inflection, doesn't it?)
Old 03-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Objection!

I played a bit of the Global Testfire, and I'm really feeling the new dual pistol weapon. Especially how, when you try to jump while firing them, you instead gunkata dive.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:47 PM
I. Love. It.

I played a few games of the Testfire, and I still need to adjust to the controls. First time through I didn't see the options to change off of motion, so the first match I just could not aim properly for the life of me. Then I DID find em, but I didn't have the Y-axis oriented correctly so I still had trouble. Third match I finally had the controls how I'm used to, but I was on game three with as many variations in control style so I just didn't do super well.

But it sure is Splatoon! I'll probably hit up some of the other Testfires this weekend and hopefully I'll get back into the groove.

I miss the old 1 minute left music.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:09 PM
Highway To HFIL

The new guns are pretty good!
Old 03-24-2017, 02:28 PM

This was fun, and I am terrible at it!
Old 03-24-2017, 02:29 PM
Outer Spacean

I eagerly await more impressions!
Old 03-24-2017, 02:53 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post

So voice chat will be through an app rather than the Switch itself?
Yeah, people have been complaining about it having it on a separate device. As a father of young kids, I am happy to have online communications with other players stripped out of that machine.

Demo was good, I'm having a rough time with the map button where jump used to be :/
Old 03-24-2017, 03:07 PM

I managed to play through the whole hour with only about 3 disconnects, which is pretty good since I was worried how my switch would handle playing online after seeing how long it took to download Blaster Master Zero and Shovel Knight a few weeks ago. The only weapon I used was my trusted Splattershot and I love the new Tenta Missiles special, I was pretty much destroying squads with it. My only gripe was that the jump button is now B which threw me off for my first two matches since I kept bringing up the map by pressing X, but I got used to it pretty fast.

In the end I had a blast and I'm looking forward to the next testfire later tonight.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:17 PM
Space Prez

Oh yeah, worth mentioning, I disconnected the USB LAN adapter on my Wii U to use with the Switch. My only other comparison is Bomberman, but it seemed to make a huge improvement with online. No disconnects today with Splatoon (well, unless you count the boot at the end).
Old 03-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Half-Ninja

Second session is live now for the next hour. See some of you out there?
Old 03-24-2017, 09:39 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Lumber and I are on! I like that you can mess with the speed of the music on the load screen.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:43 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Wasn't really in a Splatoon mood, but I played a bit. It ran great docked with the LAN adapter and undocked on wireless.

It's... Splatoon! The Splat Dulies feel like an upgraded Splattershot Jr., which delights me. It'll be interesting to see if they change between now and release. I didn't notice the roller differences beyond the new jump shot and super move, but I'm not exactly an expert there.

The swapped camera stick and jump button made me slip up so much. It had to be done because of how the Joycon are laid out, but it will still take a while to get used to.

The most exciting part for me is how well the game works in portable mode. The impressions coming out made it seem like it was awful moving the screen as you play, but I quite liked it. Hopefully there are some levels which are good for 2v2, because this will make for a lovely local multiplayer game at get-togethers. Playing online-only with no voice chat got rather lonely.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:36 PM

I forgot how fast an hour of Splatoon goes by, fortunately I had zero disconnects this time around and spent little time waiting in the lobby. There were plenty of newbies out tonight so I tried to take it easy on some of them, but my more seasoned teammates had other ideas so it was an inkbath out there. I tried the dualies for a short while this time around and while they worked pretty well I couldn't get used to the Inkjet special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
The most exciting part for me is how well the game works in portable mode. The impressions coming out made it seem like it was awful moving the screen as you play, but I quite liked it.
I found playing in portable mode similar to playing with the Wii U gamepad in that simple wrist movements were all I needed to adjust my aim and if it got wonky pressing Y helped get it back on track. Next time around I'm going to try playing tabletop mode with split joycons since I've been hearing good things about that control method.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:48 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Played three rounds, lost all three. Totally expected, the only time I've ever played Splatoon was at PAX for about 5 minutes. I still don't quite "get" it. It's bright and cheery though, so that's a plus.

Even with the Pro controller, the "airplane" camera controls - down is up, up is down - were complete ass. Had to turn off the motion controls. Slightly better but didn't really help performance.

Also, kept getting disconnected. Seems odd considering my download times are really good. Maybe server shenanigans.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:55 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I did notice this.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/24/150...lobal-testfire

I think I had more fun remixing the lobby music than actually playing the rounds.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:48 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I found playing in portable mode similar to playing with the Wii U gamepad in that simple wrist movements were all I needed to adjust my aim and if it got wonky pressing Y helped get it back on track.
Basically came here to say this. Playing with the pro controller was throwing me off, handheld mode was a little kinder to my muscle memory.

Splat dualies are good! And I like the special, but nothing gets coverage like a roller. I've played all three sessions, in different configurations, and no disconnects so far. Very excited at the idea of being able to play with a regular team, and being able to co-ordinate strategy.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:34 AM
Hawkguy

I've never played Splatoon but I had fun. I'm so bad at this game.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Objection!

One of the best things about Splatoon is that you can still be bad at shooters, but also contributing to the team, since KOing other players doesn't actually give points at all, other then the explosion of ink they make (and also denying them the opportunity to continue inking the map).

I'm going to have to try to put some time into a second testfire period, but I think I've seen enough to sell me on more Splatoon as it is.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:16 AM
Outer Spacean

I'm glad to see so many of you giving this a shot. It'll make future Talking Time meetups a lot more fun to have more people joining us.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:24 AM
Half-Ninja

I think we should use the Talking Time Discord once the game officially comes out and we play with each other.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

I'm SUPER jelly of anyone who gets to play this. That is all.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:40 PM
I. Love. It.

There's no more minigames while we wait (at least not in Testfire, and I'm not even sure they could work without something like the Wii-U's gamepad anyway) but try pressing the A, B, X, and Y buttons while waiting for a match to fill up with players for... something.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:59 PM

Y makes it say, "Think I'll grab a JUICE box."
Old 03-25-2017, 09:21 PM
oh my car

Every single match I've been in so far tonight except one, one team or the other was down a player. I mean someone on the losing team had 0 points and it was a total shutout as a result. So I can't tell how the balance is.

I keep hitting the map button instead of the jump button. Muscle memory is a hell of a thing.

I can tell that chargers are improved, but I'm still awful with 'em. The dualies feel weak and I haven't gotten the hang of the dodge roll. I wish I had a chance to practice the new specials.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 PM
oh my car

It's weird. I feel like I suck and am out of practice, yet once I realized I should be sticking with Splattershots and Rollers, I've been at the top of my team every time.

Edit: not every time

Last edited by Bongo Bill; 03-25-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:56 PM
oh my car

Firing a full set of 16 tenta missiles feels amazing.

Tags
eel feels , ika out a victory , marina is best , nintendo , salmon come up! , salmon go down! , spla2n , splatoon , squid-based shooters , switch