The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Default Let's Die: A LttP Dark Souls Thread

Getting ready to start, updates coming. Pray for me.

Edit: First Impression: Considering this game is held up as a paragon of game design, the fact that the controls are so confusing that it's super easy to accidentally use your healing items, and that is automatically saved so that they're gone forever is not promising.

Last edited by Issun; 07-29-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:58 PM
Banned

If you used up items from the healing set too early and on accident, there's no real reason not to reroll the character. Once you get the hang of the controls and know how to get out of the intro dungeon, the time it takes to get out again is very short.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:47 AM
Mr. Autumn Man

Okay, finally killing the Asylum Demon was all kinds of satisfying. Just got to Lordran and ready to pack it in for the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
If you used up items from the healing set too early and on accident, there's no real reason not to reroll the character. Once you get the hang of the controls and know how to get out of the intro dungeon, the time it takes to get out again is very short.
Once I got Ye Flask I didn't really miss the healing item gifts I used up.

Last edited by Issun; 07-30-2015 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:58 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Oh hey I could use this thread too!

I concur with you on the control scheme! As well as me having no idea what to sink souls into.

But then seeing as you can grind endlessly for souls I guess it doesnt matter much?
Old 07-30-2015, 02:21 AM
New Video World is out!

Welcome to Bestgame.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:30 AM
Canadian Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Oh hey I could use this thread too!

I concur with you on the control scheme! As well as me having no idea what to sink souls into.

But then seeing as you can grind endlessly for souls I guess it doesnt matter much?
Actually, it matters, since the cost of levels is based on your level, not the stats, and it's not hard to "tilt" and lose your farmed souls over and over.

What to sink souls into: Vitality and Endurance is a must for every class, Attunement for casters. The rest depends on your weapon; if you plan to use, say, a Falchion that has B dexterity scaling (you can check this on the weapon's page), then put the rest in that when you're okay with your health and stamina for the area (this also means that switching weapon types isn't really encouraged, but having a weapon or some backup magic with low requiments isn't a bad tactic). Ignore Resistance, as it does fuckall and just wastes you a soul level worth of souls.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:02 AM
Prancing in the rain

Location: Maryland, right next to that capital of the U.S. thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidthorn View Post
What to sink souls into: Vitality and Endurance is a must for every class, [Snip] The rest depends on your weapon; if you plan to use, say, a Falchion that has B dexterity scaling (you can check this on the weapon's page), then put the rest in that when you're okay with your health and stamina for the area (this also means that switching weapon types isn't really encouraged, but having a weapon or some backup magic with low requiments isn't a bad tactic).
When I start a game I go straight for requirements for the weapon I want, then 20 vit, then pump my damage stat and end alternating. But for a newer player the safer choice would be to go for try for a good balance of their Vit, end and chosen damage stat. This is because staying alive longer to learn more is more important for a newer player, and weapon scaling is pretty wild in this game.

I would make a big huge post about the deeper mechanics of this game if it weren't so late and I had played it in the last 5 months, but for now I don't feel confident in any statements I've tried typing out because I can't remember the entire game off the top of my head right now.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:45 AM
one zero zero one SOS

I am stoked to read this thread. You should probably be compensated for the amount of enjoyment I'll get out of reading a new Souls Cycle.

But you won't. I'll get it for free.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:57 AM
New Video World is out!

Don't give up. You will want to give up.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:03 AM

As someone who avoided spoiling myself the first time playing Dark Souls, I still recommend looking up how humanity, bonfires and hollowing work. These are fundamental mechanics that would be spelled out in the manual of any other game.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:55 AM
Banned

I think anybody that doesn't intend to do PVP can ignore stat scaling. It's just not going to amount to that much extra damage in a PVE run. I say go for the minimum stats for the weapon you want to use, then pump End. Vit is good but I tend to prefer more movement.

Of course, that's for a pure melee build. I've never done magic.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:23 AM
Everything Is A Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidthorn, tk flash
helpful information
obviously the best build is to start pyromancer then never level ever

I will say that it may take you a character or two to really get a feel for how you want to play the game. My first successful run ended up being a deprived. also note that stats have a diminishing returns point at around 40, so you'll want to think twice before using a level to push a stat beyond that

Also, if you happen to be hollow and without any souls, its a great time to play recklessly; run past enemies to explore, find out what you can or can't block/parry/dodge, etc. you have nothing to lose!

i also dont think its explained anywhere, but if you happen to be a caster then for whatever reason Dex increases your cast speed

finally, a lot of items have neat flavor, so if you have the time, read some of the item descriptions
Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 AM
is Earnest

Basic Dark Souls rules & tips:

1) Managing Stamina. Stamina is used to block, attack, dodge, and run. When you run out of stamina it takes longer to regenerate, and you can't use it to run until the meter fills completely, so try to always leave a little bit instead of draining the whole bar. Stamina regenerates on its own, but it's much slower to come back while you are holding your shield up. Ideally, you want to always have your shield up when an enemy attacks, and lower it when they are not attacking so that you can get your stamina back. Learning the rhythm of enemy attacks and how to manage stamina is probably the best thing that you can do to get better at the game. Don't worry about attacking when you first meet a new enemy, just avoid enemy damage as much as you can until you can predict their attacks. You can also avoid being damaged by dodging, and later on you can lose the shield entirely and just dodge all attacks, but when starting out a good shield is useful. Look for a shield with 100% physical blocking.

2) Stats. Vitality is basically a difficulty meter. Having a low HP pool means that you have to block and dodge nearly every attack perfectly, and that's really hard to do when starting out. Feel free to add a bunch of HP to make things a bit easier on yourself. Endurance gives you an extra bit of breathing room when fighting and lets you wear heavier equipment, and it's probably second in importance to HP. Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Faith are all attack stats. Weapons, spell tools, and spells all require certain amounts of each in order to be used. If you have more than the requirement, you get a bonus amount of damage depending on the item's stat bonus rating in that category. For the most part the bonus to damage isn't that great unless you really know what you're doing with your build, but it's not a bad idea to pick your favorite stat and dump any extra points in there. Attunement gives you spell slots, so if you're a caster you will want to put some points in here. Do not put any points into resistance, it's a fake stat.

3) Souls & Upgrades: In addition to leveling up, souls can be spent to upgrade equipment and to buy items. There are several blacksmiths throughout the game, and they charge you souls and ore in order to upgrade your weapons and armor to +1 and better versions. Upgrading is really cheap and effective compared to leveling up, but you lose those upgrades when you switch to a new weapon/piece of armor. Early on, feel free to use shards and large shards on a weapon and a few pieces of armor, and save the bigger and more exotic pieces of ore for later. Generally, I recommend spending souls when you have them instead of risking losing them. try to leave merchants and blacksmiths with as close to 0 souls as possible. Save consumable souls and boss souls for when you're about to spend them (oh, and don't use the firekeeper's soul. You're going to need it). It's often better to retreat and spend your souls than to press on into unknown territory.

4) Patience. This game is going to beat the shit out of you and it's going to make you upset. The more upset and impatient you get the worse you'll play. The key to winning is persistence and patience with yourself. The game places a lot of importance on how much and what you level up, but ultimately all progress is internal. I talked a lot about souls in the previous section, but they're just training wheels to give you a little advantage when you start out. Don't worry about losing souls or spending them in the exact right way, just keep at it and you'll get there. Anyone can beat this game as long as they keep at it and don't lose their cool. We all believe in you, and you should believe in yourself too.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:50 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

1) Don't use a shield. Shields are for babies. Dodge roll is your best friend. The lighter your equipment is, the better your roll is. The best roll is the one you get for having your equipment at 25% of your total weight allowance.

2) Everything is viable in this game. People have beaten it on NG+++++++ (not a typo) at Level 1. You can make ANYTHING work as long as you're smart about it and don't give up. You can find a rapier really early in the game if you know where to go, and I did it and beat the entire game with it. Anything is possible. There is technically "Best" and "Worst" armor, but you can beat the game with anything.

3) I recommend specializing. In general, the "bars" stats you want to level up are Vitality (Health) and Endurance (Stamina, plus equipment weight). You get less health per level up at 30 and 50, respectively. Endurance stops making your bar grow at 40, so NEVER go past 40.

Beyond that, you're gonna wanna pick a "build". Basically, if you wanna use small swords, put your points in Dexterity and use Dex scaling weapons. Big swords or clubs or hammers? Put points in Strength and use strength scaling weapons.

Magic gets a bit trickier. If you go Faith, you get access to heals and some damage spells. Intelligence is pure offensive spells. With both, you need to level up Attunement as well. Attunement gives you slots to equip spells.

4) Don't forget to improve your weapons! You'll gain access to it later, but it helps a lot.

5) WIKIS ARE YOUR FRIEND http://darksouls.wikidot.com/

6) Above all, be patient. Someone once said on TT that Dark Souls is a game about getting good at Dark Souls, and it's super true. Player skill can overcome any deficit in your gear. Just take it slow and be patient.

Just to give you an idea, my first time through took me...something like 50-55 hours. My second time through NG+ on the same character was something like 20 or 21 hours. Knowing where to go and what to do is everything.

7) GET THE DRAKE SWORD

It's kinda trash, but early game to mid game it's really strong. It gets outclassed, but it's very helpful for new players.

8) Don't use Firekeeper Souls! They're items you'll find that make your flask better. There's one you can get at the beginning of the game, but it requires going to an end game area? It's weird, but I recommend getting it.

That's it for now.

Oh, and last thing. Don't get discouraged by Anor Londo when you eventually get there. EVERYONE loses their shit at Anor Londo. You'll get through it. We believe in you.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:21 AM
A real human being

Time to subscribe and refer to this when I get back to this game. I tried getting into it a couple times and it just wasn't clicking for me like Demon's Souls and Bloodborne did.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:21 PM
New Video World is out!

If I can follow up on Alixsar's "Don't use a shield" advice, can I suggest instead, use a shield until you feel comfortable not using one? A shield helps you get a handle on enemy behaviour, then you can fight without. I used a shield until I got to a mid-game area (Anor Londo), then I never used one again.

There are areas where it's honestly harder to play with a shield.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:23 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
If I can follow up on Alixsar's "Don't use a shield" advice, can I suggest instead, use a shield until you feel comfortable not using one?
no, you can't; alixsar already declared shields as the literal devil, so it must remain that way for eternity
Old 07-30-2015, 12:30 PM
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Oh, and last thing. Don't get discouraged by Anor Londo when you eventually get there. EVERYONE loses their shit at Anor Londo. You'll get through it. We believe in you.
Ah, yes. So many good times were had.

I can't wait for the inevitable Anor Londo update(s).
Old 07-30-2015, 12:35 PM
Sudden chomper

Shields are a sometimes food.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:58 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
If I can follow up on Alixsar's "Don't use a shield" advice, can I suggest instead, use a shield until you feel comfortable not using one?
https://youtu.be/NmvMfhHyBRI?t=1m28s

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
no, you can't; alixsar already declared shields as the literal devil, so it must remain that way for eternity
TRUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Shields are a sometimes food.
FUCK YOU YOU'RE GROUNDED

Shields are a crutch. Dark Souls is a test of sheer willpower and determination. Remember that part in every shitty JRPG and/or anime where they're like "We can do it! We can beat up Dark Jesus (or whatever), as long as we BELIEVE IN OUR FRIENDSHIP"?

Yeah, so, not using shields is like that but in the real world. You gotta believe you can do it, and then you can. You don't need that crutch. You can operate without a safety net. It just takes time and patience and it's far more rewarding.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:05 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Shields are a crutch.
Yep. Also crutches: magic, archery, armor, rings, using souls to level up. If you are perfect at dodging you could beat the game at naked with a dagger. Until then, feel free to use whatever crutches you need.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:08 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Yep. Also crutches: magic, archery, armor, rings, using souls to level up. If you are perfect at dodging you could beat the game at naked with a dagger. Until then, feel free to use whatever crutches you need.
DAGGERS ARE A CRUTCH, USE FISTS
Old 07-30-2015, 01:41 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

CONTROLLERS ARE A CRUTCH, use your mind powers to control dark souls

don't have mind powers, then GIT GUD, SON
Old 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Mind powers are a crutch, turn into a being of pure energy and become one with the dimensional vortex!
Old 07-30-2015, 01:49 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
DAGGERS ARE A CRUTCH, USE FISTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
CONTROLLERS ARE A CRUTCH, use your mind powers to control dark souls

don't have mind powers, then GIT GUD, SON

Anything is possible.

Last edited by Patrick; 07-30-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:52 PM
angry little slice of pie

use the grass crest shield, permanently strapped to your back.

don't spoil yourself too much, but don't be afraid to seek answers, either. Souls is built for community playtogethers.

Pyromancy is the best magic.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:55 PM

This is just a question for Dark Souls vets, did you play this game with a guide?

I tried not too, but got really stuck at Bed of Chaos. Which probably colored how I feel about the game. I don't want to spoil surprises for Issun if he hasn't read about it.

Everyone is going to be different, but part of the joy I take from he souls games is figuring out how to advance on my own sans guide. But without using a guide you are likely to miss some areas and PvP is probably something that should be avoided at all costs. Fighting with imperfect information is not in my experience a great idea.

@Issun I assume this is your first souls game ever. Because I don't even think about the controls now. They become ingrained fairly quickly I think.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:58 PM
is Earnest

I never use guides on my first run through, but I will ask questions and read non-spoilery message board threads.

Bed of Chaos is bullshit though and people should just look up how to get past her.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:04 PM
New Video World is out!

Might be cool not to post so many spoilers in this first-timer thread, guys.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:07 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Might be cool not to post so many spoilers in this first-timer thread, guys.
Good point, I went back and spoilered boss stuff.

Tags
crutches , dark as balls , dark souls , from software , hell of dark , hold with both hands , praise the sun , secret best zelda , this is my drill , you defeated , you died