The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

And it starts with Hitler on a terlet. Actually, that's all I know about it. I really got to read it one of these days. I only read the first couple issues of Multiversity and then left for comicless lands.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:30 PM
Minty Fresh

The only chunk of Multiversity I read was Pax Americana because seeing at least a glimpse of Charleton Watchmen was too cool to pass up. The version I got had writer's notes and some of the setting details that didn't make it in the panels. Also, kind of a sucker for 9 panel layout. (And anything with Ted Kord in it let's be honest here.)

I did pick up the guide to the Multiversity mostly for the universe map, but the pages detailing all the Earth-Whatevers was neat too. I didn't realize that there were a few that hadn't been detailed yet and just listed as "lol dunno who's here maybe one of these days"
Old 08-16-2017, 05:56 AM
Mystery Contraption

Been reading through Batman Adventures and, first off, it's great. It's like an extra few seasons of TAS I didn't know existed (though Scarecrow is disappointingly kind of lame in it).

Second, not only does it have one of the best Riddler stories I've ever read early on, but that same issue introduced The Terrible Trio, comic original villains and they, almost immediately, became my favourite Batman villains ever. Even without knowing their inspiration they're great. Knowing it makes them even better.

Mr. Nice especially. Dude skyrocketed up to being one of my favourite super villains immediately.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:43 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Kurt Busiek's working on Batman: Creature of the Night, which sounds like the Batman equivalent to Superman: Secret Identity

Quote:
Young Bruce Wainwright lost his parents in a violent crime…and in the real world, no superheroes exist to save the day. But as grief and rage builds inside Bruce until he feels he can’t keep it inside anymore, something strange starts taking wing in the Gotham night! Perhaps Bruce’s grief isn’t inside him after all?
I don't think the approach is quite as radical or exciting here— "realistic Batman" is something that comics and movies have been doing for decades, even if not this literal— but Secret Identity is the best damn Superman story ever told, so I'm interested to see what Busiek has in store.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post

Mr. Nice especially. Dude skyrocketed up to being one of my favourite super villains immediately.
I haven't read it myself, but apparently there is a sweet, touching issue that bids one of them farewell.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:43 PM
Safe Space

Twitter thread about DC's branding of Harley Quinn vis-a-vis "good girl art"
Old 08-18-2017, 05:14 AM

I get that argument, but like, Harley Quinn is first and foremost the enduring legacy of Batman TAS. Her roots as a character is being in a for-kids production. I don't think it's the worst idea.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:21 AM
Goodbye!

Yeah, lots of good arguments there, but the idea that these characters can't, or at least shouldn't, be for kids and adults in different series is a bit complicated by the fact that that's sort of been the legacy of comics for the last thirty years. Heck, just the fact that The Brave and The Bold can exist alongside Nolan's Batman films is testament to that. In many ways the strength of comic book characters is their tonal adaptability.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:27 AM
100% All Original

The more DC pulls Harley back from being a "sexy" murderous psychopath the happier I'll be. More Harley and Ivy as wacky roommates/couple please!
Old 09-06-2017, 08:16 PM

Man, I picked up the second volume of Golden Age Superman ages ago and now that I'm reading it... well, I'll say so far, its been historical curiosity, but man does the Ultra Humanite give Superman a shot in the arm. As much as I love Lex Luthor, Ultra Humanite deserves to be used more as one of the great DC villains because it doesn't take long for him to become really sinister. In his third or fourth appearance, it turns out he's murdered a woman and put her brain in her body. I know this will eventually lead to him being an albino ape, but while that is definitely Octo-Good, the moment that Superman looks in the starlet's eyes and realizes that the woman he saved the day before is now the Ultra Humanite is pretty creepy.

Up until then you think that the starlet turned murderous terrorist is under mind control or has been replaced by an evil lookalike. Nope, Ultra had his flunkies scoop out a woman's brain and put his in it. That's some great A evil.

And strangely, perhaps one of the less offensive trans villains, if only because the character's gender... well, it isn't a moot point, but changing gender isn't presented as some sort of transgression (though the whole "murdering a woman" part is, though the story barely gives us much time to register the awfulness of killing a person to become them) or even "weird" or "other". It kind of just... is. Of course, I could be way off-base (I'd be happy to hear from someone with more insight than I), but it is definitely fascinating (and am waiting for the next Ultra story to come along and prove me wrong).
Old 09-06-2017, 09:23 PM
Find Your Reason

Wikipedia says UH was Supes' first and most prominent villain until Lex showed up, which makes me wonder why S&S created a second super-genius human adversary instead of just keeping UH around. Sure, in hindsight, both characters developed in wildly different directions, but I'd like to know which void they were originally tried to fill with Luthor that Ultra-Humanite wasn't already filling.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Better be the real thing.

"Siegel! Schuster! How you coming on that new Superman story? We gotta get it on newsstands, pronto!"

"Oh, um... Well, we're just putting the finishing touches on a new villain. He's a criminal super-scientist."

"Again? Why not just do Ultra-Humanite? Ultra-Humanite's a sensation!"

"This villain's even better than Ultra-Humanite."

"How so?"

"Um..."

"I'm waiting."

"So he keeps his brain..."

"Yes?"

"Inside his own body."

"..."

"You like it?"

"Whatever, not like we're paying you that much anyway."
Old 09-06-2017, 10:06 PM
Family Man

It's jarring to hear how villainous UH was in the old comics, while in the Justice League cartoon he saves Batman from Lex Luther in exchange for a huge donation to public broadcasting and fixes a toy duck for orphans on Christmas.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:17 AM

There's a John Byrne story that reveals that Luthor as we know him is just yet another sleeve for the Ultra-Humanite, which isn't even close to the most bonkers fanwanky thing in that story. Superman & Batman: Generations is a hell of a drug (and also a sequel to the Batman/Captain America story with the "even the Joker hates Nazis" bit that got posted not long ago).
Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGuffin View Post
There's a John Byrne story
There's always a John Byrne Story.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Is there not one thing

My guess has long been that the pain of the Depression made even the escapist media pretty hardcore. As good an explanation as any for a time when people would go to the five and ten, see a floppy named WEIRD MAGAZINE with a cover that was some jacked up frankenstein eating a space woman and think "my kids would probably like this".
Old 09-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Better be the real thing.

Given the relative freedom of movement kids had back then, I'm not sure it was the parents buying the comics. Publishers knew exactly who was lining their pockets.

But your theory does make me wonder about a possible connection between the relative middle-class post-war comforts of the 50s and the freakout at the time over lurid comics.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:18 PM

Read the first Luthor story. Far more Octo than I was expecting. It was a retty generic "Superman tries to stop a war between fictional nations" story until a general arrives at a wall that grows a face and shoots death rays out of its eyes. Man, Golden Age Superman has its flaws, but they killed it with the villains.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
Given the relative freedom of movement kids had back then, I'm not sure it was the parents buying the comics. Publishers knew exactly who was lining their pockets.
Yeah that is very fair. It was kids buying/stealing/reading comics back then, not their folks.

And I'd lay money that the resurgence in right-wing politics during the relatively comfortable postwar years had a lot to do with muzzling comics.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:17 PM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
It's jarring to hear how villainous UH was in the old comics, while in the Justice League cartoon he saves Batman from Lex Luther in exchange for a huge donation to public broadcasting and fixes a toy duck for orphans on Christmas.
See, that's how I first came to know him, too.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:09 PM
poisonous thread snake

It's sad that the 50's in comics is saddled by Seduction of the Innocent, especially when there are so many great children's comics from that time. Though, I suppose I'm mostly just thinking of John Stanley's Little Lulu and Tubby comics, and Carl Barks' various Duck comics (though the best Tintin stories came out in this era, as well as a bunch of great Moomins work, not that most Americans would/could have been reading these).
Old 09-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Mystery Contraption

I'm sure that episode of Justice League is how most people came to know of Ultra Humanite.

And in Brave and the Bold, he put his brain into a tyrannosaurus.

Putting your brain into a gorilla-body is one thing, but sometimes when you go that extra mile that you become a living work of art.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 PM

Hey, Rachel Pollack's Doom Patrol run is going to get collected. I don't know if it is any good, but I've always been curious to check it out.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:49 PM

Presented without comment

Old 09-28-2017, 01:42 PM
This Guy

Is anyone else reading Dark Knights: Metal? Because it is some hot nonsense. I'm going to spoil as much as I can make sense of here. Issue 2 has Batman stealing "the most dangerous weapon in the universe" from the Justice League. That weapon turns out to be Baby Darkseid from Darkseid War. Batman is going to use the Omega Sanction to go back in time and defeat Barbatos with Hawkman's Nth Metal mace. Only it turns out he was fooled and instead of being in Khufu's Tomb he's in Hath Set's Tomb and he is ambushed by the Court of Owls, who douse him in the last of the Heavy Metals: Batmanium, which sends him to the Dark Multiverse and unleashes the Dark Knights, a group of evil Batmans.

I don't think any of this makes sense, but it pretty awesome. It is awesome in the exact way it intends to be, like it is a story written by looking at metal album covers and trying to turn them into a narrative. It is great and terrible.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Find Your Reason

Batman needs to get hit with shrapnel, create a suit of power armor, and call himself Batmanium Man.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:41 PM
poisonous thread snake

I'm sort of surprised Batman doesn't already have some invincible metal alloy of his own devising. Well, not invincible- batmanium would have one weakness...

dead parents

(EDIT: I read Zef's, but not Rascally Badger's, post before reading this... but my point still stands, I feel)
Old 10-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Find Your Reason

I keep telling myself, "Don't post in this thread, don't post in this thread, don't post in this thread..."

But, dammit, sometimes you just gotta post in this thread.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
But, dammit, sometimes you just gotta post in this thread.
How bad can it be? *clicks through*

Quote:
Johns teased that a scene between Ozymandias and Lex Luthor was particularly fun to write.
No. Just... no.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:53 PM
This Guy

I understand the distaste for the existence of this project simply as a concept, but the six pages shown are pretty well done.

Tags
chortle at dc's boner , chortle at joker's boner , clark kent is sup-*bang* , comics , detective comics , detective comics comics , just read mark waid books , superman is worst hero , tales from the krypton