The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-08-2014, 12:51 AM
le petite mort

I'm so fucking excited for this game. I just watched the trailer like three times and all of the gameplay demos at least. The only thing I'm concerned with is that I get motion sickness with first person perspective pretty easily, so it might end up being a deal-breaker. Of course, that's a personal issue and no failing on Blizzard's part.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:27 AM

This and Splatoon are really in the same boat for me. As a rule, I just do not play online shooty-shoots, but these both look really fun and creative and novel. In this case, I have to wonder how much of it is just the aesthetics reminding me of Sentinels of the Multiverse, which I'm still really digging way too much these days.

I was originally going to say the weird upbeat superhero look and being-an-FPS make it really not seem at all like a Blizzard game. Then I watched the second trailer and yeah, OK, aside from just blatantly throwing in a dwarf, ghost, and Diablo 3 monk, there kinda seem to be two fixed, asymmetrically balanced teams here. Plus that one robot seems to basically be a humanoid siege tank, and I do love me some siege tanks.

Plus I have to say, this ripping off a lot of the art style of The Incredibles works a whole lot better than TF2 doing the same. It works for cheesy superhero stuff, and is really just kind of an odd fit for army dudes shooting each other.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Dinger!

Really? I think the TF2 art style works perfectly for that game. And I wouldn't say it's ripping off the style of The Incredibles, more that they're both talking inspiration from the same place.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:24 AM
BLOODY HIGH CLAW!

OMG. This looks awesome! That is all. XD

Okay maybe not all, they are saying that the story will take place completely outside of the game. Metzen was hinting strongly at a Overwatch movie or cinematic series. He didn't go into detail but he said they were looking into it. Some of the maps look awesome!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Wannabe Indie Game Dev

Eh, I'm sure it'll make tons of cash, but it doesn't look like anything too special. The art's great, and I'm sure it's fun, but I've played "FPS with abilities" before, and it can work out really poorly.

Balance issues arise super easily when you have such a wide variety of skills and powers, and it's not like there aren't enough FPSes in the world. A third-person perspective would have been slightly more interesting to me.

EDIT: And I don't know, but it looks like they missed out on the potential of the concept and trailer. I kinda thought it was going to be something like an action variant City of Heroes with the "The world could use more heroes" line, but it's just a straight-up FPS. If they gave you the option to make your own hero, it'd be more unique, I think.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Is there not one thing

Titan was supposed to be just that. Scuttlebutt is they scrapped the MMO elements from development and just went forward with the team arena gameplay.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:37 AM
BLOODY HIGH CLAW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Titan was supposed to be just that. Scuttlebutt is they scrapped the MMO elements from development and just went forward with the team arena gameplay.
Metzen pretty much confirmed this is what is left over from Titan, but they had actually scrapped the Titan project over a year ago and started making Overwatch instead.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarLune View Post
Eh, I'm sure it'll make tons of cash, but it doesn't look like anything too special. The art's great, and I'm sure it's fun, but I've played "FPS with abilities" before, and it can work out really poorly.

Balance issues arise super easily when you have such a wide variety of skills and powers, and it's not like there aren't enough FPSes in the world. A third-person perspective would have been slightly more interesting to me.

EDIT: And I don't know, but it looks like they missed out on the potential of the concept and trailer. I kinda thought it was going to be something like an action variant City of Heroes with the "The world could use more heroes" line, but it's just a straight-up FPS. If they gave you the option to make your own hero, it'd be more unique, I think.
A few people have expressed similar sentiments, and while I understand them I'd just like to mention that Blizzard's skill has been taking what's already been done and changing the way people think about it.

I mean, if you get reductionist, very little of what they've EVER done has been on-it's-face impressive looking. Compared to other RTSes of the day, Warcraft and Starcraft look at first glance to just be another one of them. Compared to other MMOs of the day, WoW looked at first glance to just be another one of them. Hearthstone just seems like yet another MtG competitor at first glance.

And yet all of them manage to carve out an impressive niche and advance what was originally thought to be possible with their respective genres. They pushed the goalposts further, and in many arenas other developers are still trying to catch back up; there's other games that are better in one aspect or another, but there's very little out there that's better as a whole package, or is as important for their genre as Blizzard's own work.

Overwatch looks from the videos to be a fairly typical team shooter. But canned videos never show the whole story, either. At this stage, both the visuals and the described design intents interest me greatly, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this. Most of my dislike of competitive gaming is the feeling of inadequacy compared to the rest of the team, and wanting to emphasize roles and actions that are more then just shooting the other guys before being shot yourself means more playing and being able to contribute. It's the same reason why I'm looking forward to Splatoon, even though it's also a competitive shooter.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Count me in the unimpressed camp. It's TF2 with a new coat of paint. Knowing how Blizzard works now, all those character abilities are going to be unlocked via some kind of boring leveling system. Either DOTA style leveling in each match, or an even more obnoxious unlock system via playing daily matches and other assorted Skinner box bullshit.

It looks pretty, but that's about all it has going for it.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by figcube View Post
I think it looks like a TV CG kid's show. That trailer looked bad. The in-game stuff looks worse.
Yeah, that's exactly what I love about it. It's not grey and brown codblops, nor is it edgy dungeon punk fantasy. It's bright and colorful and does its best to look in and inviting!
Old 11-08-2014, 12:55 PM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what I love about it. It's not grey and brown codblops, nor is it edgy dungeon punk fantasy. It's bright and colorful and does its best to look in and inviting!
Seconding this. :3
Old 11-08-2014, 02:11 PM
EARTH FOREVER

I don't see the problem with the visual style. It's cute and colorful. There's a gorilla.

The main thing I don't like is that a couple of characters have wallhacks. I know it's possible to balance a game around those but I feel like they undercut a big tactical element of FPS games. Like, you have to predict where enemies are going to show up and get used to the usual routes people take through the map, but you never know for certain what they'll do if you don't have channeled x-ray vision or w/e.

Bow guy has wallhacks and a super move that travels through walls. :I And both wallhack effects get shared with your teammates.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Is there not one thing

That's a good point re terrain in overwatch. TF2 gives its characters a certain amount of 3D maneuverability, but it's limited and comes at a big cost to health and versatility. Overwatch has characters who see through walls or fly. Interesting choice and I'm definitely excited to see how it plays out.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:30 PM

The vague impression I get is that it's pretty much always 6 on 6, with fixed teams that cover all the same bases in somewhat asymmetric fashion. A couple people can get up to high places easily, a couple more can fly. So... seeing through walls isn't too big a deal balance wise.

Also-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of mine
Hmm... I hope there are unlockable skins or something 'caues I enjoy sniping, but I dont enjoy having my boobs hanging out.
That's kinda my one complaint too from what I've seen.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Is there not one thing

Representation of female characters has improved, but I'm glad to see that people are still making themselves heard about ways to make it better
Old 11-08-2014, 02:36 PM
EARTH FOREVER

I don't get the impression that it's asymmetric. There are 2 or 3 villainous characters in a cast of heroic and frembly dudes, so it's not an even split. I think it's just a class-based shooter with 12 classes.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Objection!

They've said that teams can have multiple of the same character on them, though they also say that the classes are designed in ways that makes stacking unappealing. So there's probably going to be heavy downsides to, for example, being able to shoot through walls to make just having a full team of snipers not the obvious decision.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:46 PM
EARTH FOREVER

lmfao

Anyway I don't expect 6 snipers to be a particularly effective team comp, it's just it would be annoying to get clipped for half your health by an Ultimate Whirling Dragon Beam popping out of the wall.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Unreleased Beta Version

Outside of the Samus wannabe, I'm not really seeing it. All of the women have basically the exact same body type, and some of them are wearing heels and boobplates.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Outside of the Samus wannabe, I'm not really seeing it. All of the women have basically the exact same body type, and some of them are wearing heels and boobplates.

Keep in mind these are the same guys who gave us Alexstrasza and the Queen of Blades. Their idea of unsexualized needs work
Old 11-08-2014, 03:27 PM

So since this is a new blizzard IP there's a chance some of them may make their way to heroes of the storm later right?
Old 11-08-2014, 04:11 PM
BLOODY HIGH CLAW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
So since this is a new blizzard IP there's a chance some of them may make their way to heroes of the storm later right?
This has already been confirmed. ^_^
Old 11-08-2014, 05:54 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epithet View Post
Quote:
Keep in mind these are the same guys who gave us Alexstrasza and the Queen of Blades. Their idea of unsexualized needs work
yeah uh "trying" is the operative word here

Tracer and Pharrah are nice designs, and I appreciate that right off the bat there's a wide variety of ethnicities on display in the cast. but Widowmaker, Mercy, and Symmetra are all pretty standard cheesecake-y fantasy/scifi designs. I'm not gonna say that they're horrible designs, because they're not and we've all seen FAR worse. but guys, when 60% of your initially revealed female roster is either serving thighs and ass for days or tits on a platter, you might want to hold off on self-congratulatory interviews about your revolution in female character design

basically: every single female character in this is super attractive and presented as such, and only one of the males (Hanzo) is presented as attractive. (Though Torbjörn does have some sick arm definition.) That's the kind of imbalance that gets people upset.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Is there not one thing

The good news is that they're on record as saying they want to improve representation of different shapes and sizes. It's an iterative process and I want to give these cats the benefit of the doubt
Old 11-08-2014, 06:10 PM
EARTH FOREVER

Also notable that the lady with the sexiest outfit is a brainwashed combat slave
Old 11-08-2014, 06:13 PM

You can switch characters between each death, which means you don't have to be locked into a support role or something because you chose so at the beginning. Another similarity to TF2, but one I absolutely welcome.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:15 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
The good news is that they're on record as saying they want to improve representation of different shapes and sizes. It's an iterative process and I want to give these cats the benefit of the doubt
They just need to keep working at it then. Personally, Pharrah would make sense as a good candidate for having a heavier/broader build - she'd look even more powerful in her armor, think female Barbarian from DIII. and any flowy robe stuff like Symmetra has going on would be murder on the battlefield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epithet View Post
Also notable that the lady with the sexiest outfit is a brainwashed combat slave
oh, that's Widowmaker's story? how original
Old 11-08-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
basically: every single female character in this is super attractive and presented as such, and only one of the males (Hanzo) is presented as attractive. (Though Torbjörn does have some sick arm definition.) That's the kind of imbalance that gets people upset.
I'm really not seeing this in the character designs, except for Widowmaker and Symmetra, and they look pretty tame even in that regard. If you think Tracer, Pharah, or Mercy are at all sexual in their character design, I'm not sure what to say. Pretty maybe, but I have a hard time seeing what's wrong with that.

From what I can see, there's more dude muscle/skin showing than women ass/cleavage. That's a victory in my book.

Looks like the the rest of the characters are robots or a gorilla.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Dinger!

I think UUDD's point was that all the female characters, even if they aren't half-naked, are conventionally attractive.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:45 PM

I'm going to give Blizzard some credit for having, out of the 5 women, at least 2 non-white women in the game (Pharah and Symmitra) and that's not counting Widowmaker who is purple.

Tags
blizzard , blizzard money printer , fantastic butts , hot moms n dads , lgbteam fortress , overwatch