The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Are You Sure About That?

The Ys fan-trans community is....idiosyncratic.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:30 PM

Beta was fun!

Galadrome Tips for Always Getting First in Multiplayer Though Not Always Winning the Match:

- If someone fires at you first, run away.

- Hide beside doorways and when people walk through, kill them. Preferably put yourself near a Zone.

And that's it. Using these strategies I got first in every single match point wise. I played Titan because, well, punching dudes is the best.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:45 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willm View Post
Of course, after we killed the thing we had a dance off.
Not gonna lie, might have done this a couple times, too.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
Whoooooa, there's a story there.
In a nutshell, there's this guy who operates under the handle of Nightwolve, who's been instrumental in organizing people to work on fan translations for Ys. It took years to get the translations for Ys I and II Eternal out, but this in itself was okay. Then Ys: The Oath in Felghana came around. Nightwolve was working on an English patch for a good long while (if it had taken much longer, I'd have thought I was waiting for a Working Designs RPG release), and eventually he did get a finished patch together, but he was unsatisfied with the overall quality. However, he did send it out to a few people, and one of those people leaked it on GameFAQS. From there, pretty much anyone could get it.

Now, he could have done a few different things. He could have just told people, "hey, this is the beta, please be cool and wait for the real release." He could have shrugged his shoulders and gone, "eh, well, technically all of this is illegal anyway, so no big." But instead, he opted for a third alternative: go all Johnny Turbo. He basically re-uploaded the beta translation patch to his servers, but with a slight tweak. While the patch does get applied and the game runs smoothly and everything, the patcher literally calls you names and rants at you as the installation progress bar fills up, with all of it pretty much being variations on a theme of: "Ys 'fans' are all a bunch of thieving warez fucks who are killing the franchise." Then he decided to take his ball and go home; in order to get access to the patch without all the bitching and ranting, you have to donate to him.

Let me just underscore this point, to make it perfectly clear: In order to get his fan translation (and do keep in mind that translating a work without the consent of the copyright holder is illegal, at least in the U.S.*), you have to pay him actual money.

He's also in some sort of feud with some guy at XSEED who was and still is part of the Ys fan community who works in some capacity on the Ys games (and who, I guess, used to be in cahoots with Nightwolve while working in the fan community), claiming that this guy stole Nightwolve's work for the commercial version of Oath in Felghana. So let's underscore this point, too, because this could not be more ridiculous: Nightwolve on the one hand is angry with Ys 'fans' for killing the franchise, by downloading a patch he personally is displeased with, and is then enraged with one of the people who allegedly used that patch (or based his work on material in it, or something), one of the people responsible for making the franchise profitable in the U.S. in the first place. Yeah, totally killing the franchise there, XSEED.

Then, for the icing on the cake, every update about Ys news or news about one of his projects simply cannot pass without him writing some tiresome, screeching screed about how he was wronged/backstabbed/betrayed. Lately, he seems to be using it to just actively demonize XSEED for basically everything they do**, because apparently, allowing his rage to ride on the coattails of Ys news just doesn't provide him enough of an outlet.

So... I guess that's not really "in a nutshell". And you know what? I take back the "Johnny Turbo" thing. Johnny Turbo was way, way classier than this guy. This is a lot less Johnny Turbo and a lot more Harlan Ellison.

So... Destiny! Destiny is looking pretty incredible, isn't it?

*I assume he's from the U.S., anyway. He did take his Ys I and II fansite down in 2008 to do some political doomcrying about how Obama being elected would spell certain doom for the U.S.

**In fairness, XSEED has some questionable titles under its belt. Uh... Hmm. Maybe that wasn't the best metaphor.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:58 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

it

is

DESTINYMAS

and I am stuck at work for at least another two hours, plus then I need to get us home and make dinner.

ARGH
Old 09-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Mystery Contraption

I blew up a Wizard, I can go to the Moon.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:06 PM
TARANTUL

It seems like they engineered the advertising for this game to suck any interest I had in it entirely out of me.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:16 PM
is Earnest

FYI, if you buy the PS3 or 360 digital version the respective current gen version will be free. I don't know if the last gen version is any good, but I imagine that it will be a nice bonus for some people.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Senior Squirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
It seems like they engineered the advertising for this game to suck any interest I had in it entirely out of me.
Are you ready for the new shit!?
Old 09-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Follow the fuck-man

A couple hours into it and I am getting this vague feeling of it being like phantasy star online combined with an fps. I can't word why.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Mystery Contraption

I think my favorite part of the game is that when you throw a grenade, any enemy near where it lands just stops what they're doing and sits down.

Also; the game doesn't really explain itself very well so; I'm assuming that the game has a full skill-tree, right? Because as I unlock new abilities the locked abilities adjacent to them have a little bar that fills up. I'm PRESUMING that once they're full I get to use them, but I'm not sure WHAT fills them.

Is it experience points? Using the previous skill?

Last edited by Octopus Prime; 09-09-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Duuuuh, my names Octo and I can grammar good
Old 09-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Conquers the World

I managed to wrestle through the initial server hiccups last night (got it at midnight) and get a few hours in. Haven't made it past the parts I already played in the beta, but hey, those parts are still fun. I kind of get what people have been saying about the story and mission structure being sort of bare-bones, but man those guns feel real nice. I could see myself really getting into just doing the same thing over and over in this game. I've got a couple days off after today so I'm looking forward to sinking a bunch more time in.

If anyone's playing this on PS4, I'm Gateott on PSN.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:00 PM
if-then-eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by O..O~ View Post
A couple hours into it and I am getting this vague feeling of it being like phantasy star online combined with an fps. I can't word why.
why no steam release whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Old 09-09-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
why no steam release whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Because Bungie is a console-focused company? They've said they do have interest in doing a PC port, but that their attention was obviously more focused on the 4 different console versions coming out today, as well as the first two iterations of DLC.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Senior Squirt

Because then they'd have cross platform multiplayer, and all the keyboard and mouse players would cause the controller players to die and be sad and cry out to the Bungies above "Wrrrrrry!?"
Old 09-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Mystery Contraption

Considering how the menus are controlled via point-and-click with the right stick, it IS pretty odd that there's no PC release.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Because then they'd have cross platform multiplayer, and all the keyboard and mouse players would cause the controller players to die and be sad and cry out to the Bungies above "Wrrrrrry!?"
actually, if memory serves, they don't have cross platform multiplayer. you can only interact with people on the same console and generation. I think.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:12 PM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
actually, if memory serves, they don't have cross platform multiplayer. you can only interact with people on the same console and generation. I think.
This is true, and while Bungie will try to claim it's to make a better experience for players, it's entirely because of the platform owners.

Players should be allowed to choose if they want to compete or play with people with different control schemes. After all, some console shooters already allow for other schemes, such as using a Move or even a KB/mouse, and it doesn't seem to have caused their MP modes to implode.

Giving the widest possible audience is key to these kinds of online games. Limiting access just makes it harder to obtain the necessary critical mass that makes these games work.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:35 PM
Senior Squirt

I think the issue is actually the online service and hosting, than anything else. That PSN and XBL are incompatible for a variety of reasons. That said, I'm still going to joke about controllers.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
I think the issue is actually the online service and hosting, than anything else. That PSN and XBL are incompatible for a variety of reasons. That said, I'm still going to joke about controllers.
But the underlying servers are at Bungie. PSN and XBL only provide connections to them, while the publishers themselves run the servers. I would imagine that, as a result, the net code is also basically identical between versions (with some allowances for specific APIs that each platform may require just to get outside of their walled garden).

I mean, if you want to talk about the online services being "incompatable", I would like to mention that FF11 had cross-platform play between 360, PS2, and PC for years, and FF14 has cross-platform between PS3, PS4, and PC (with it not being on 360 and Xone specifically because MS now outright bans cross-platform), because both games communicate with a central server that S-E owns, in basically the same way that Destiny works.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:07 AM

right, buuuut: I think that even on the PSN, PS3 and PS4 players are in separate games, and the same for Xbox 360/One. And they did this because they wanted people on par since tiny minute differences in graphical display can make a difference with shooters, unlike MMORPGs like FFXIV.

Are there examples of an existing shooter that enables cross-platform and/or cross-gen play? I genuinely wouldn't know.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:13 AM
Objection!

Quote:
Are there examples of an existing shooter that enables cross-platform and/or cross-gen play? I genuinely wouldn't know.
Shadowrun. It doesn't yet, but I remember Warframe saying they intended cross-platform for the PS4 version. This might be totally kiboshed now, though, what with the Xone release.

Also, if we want to bend the request slightly, the PC versions of shooters like Battlefield that are also on consoles are perfectly capable of letting people with different qualities of PC play on the same servers, let alone lets people with controllers compete against KB/M players.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Mystery Contraption

On the WiiU, of all places, there's Cube Wars
Old 09-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
Shadowrun. It doesn't yet, but I remember Warframe saying they intended cross-platform for the PS4 version. This might be totally kiboshed now, though, what with the Xone release.

Also, if we want to bend the request slightly, the PC versions of shooters like Battlefield that are also on consoles are perfectly capable of letting people with different qualities of PC play on the same servers, let alone lets people with controllers compete against KB/M players.
Shadowrun? I looked it up on wikipedia and they don't have a multiplatform shooter unless I'm missing something. And do the shooters you're talking about let PC players play against console players?

Anyway, I agree that cross-platform would be nice to have, but when you said

Quote:
Giving the widest possible audience is key to these kinds of online games. Limiting access just makes it harder to obtain the necessary critical mass that makes these games work.
I'd have to disagree, since the vast majority of shooters haven't done this and have done just fine getting the necessary critical mass.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Email from Bungie with emblems, yay! Although it looks like I won't get the game until next week, boo!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:46 AM

from Texts With Willm:

Quote:
Willm: I like how I have no idea what's going on in Destiny and that I don't care.

UUDD: Haaa

UUDD: WIZZARDS

Willm: Peter Dinklage sounds sooooo bored

UUDD: It's not good

UUDD: "We have to go to... Fuck it, let's just get drunk"

UUDD: "There's a bar in the City with Exo dancers who take their chassis completely off."

UUDD: "You can see their whole circuit boards and EVERYTHING"

Willm: hahaha

Willm: See, THAT would be interesting

Willm: the game is great to play but I really don't care about the story or anything

Willm: Which to be fair is how I feel about Halo
Old 09-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Objection!

Quote:
Shadowrun? I looked it up on wikipedia and they don't have a multiplatform shooter unless I'm missing something. And do the shooters you're talking about let PC players play against console players?
Shadowrun was a shooter that allowed cross-platform play between PC and 360.

With regards to the other games I was talking about, no. That's why I framed it like I did. But at the same time, when Battlefield 4, for example, lets PC players compete between different PC specs or input methods, trying to argue that it's "unfair" between console generations or between consoles and PC is kind of silly, ya know?

This gets even more true when the game in question is primarily a cooperative experience. Destiny has a PvP mode, but it's intended to be a co-op game.

Quote:
I'd have to disagree, since the vast majority of shooters haven't done this and have done just fine getting the necessary critical mass.
I actually disagree that the "vast majority" of shooters have done fine getting their critical mass. I keep seeing many of them struggle on that front, and don't hold their playerbase for very long. That's the thing about critical mass: it's about having enough people consistently playing that you can always get into a match in a reasonable amount of time.

Titanfall was a pretty recently example of a big name game that just didn't hit it. That's why they removed some modes from matchmaking on PC, and is adding a game mode that removes everything special about the game. The game is still playable, but they are scrambling to make it more appealing, because they don't have enough players to make all the modes worthwhile.

And in addition to those, Activision and Ubi have both cited low Wii U install bases as the justification for why some of their games don't have MP on that platform, when cross-platform would solve that perfectly. Let's not talk about how silly a statement this is when there's still more sold Wii U units then there are shipped Xone units, however.

I see far more shooters that come out with hype and then fade into obscurity, only played by a small contingent of fans. This gets more and more true the lower down the hype meter the game is.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:05 PM
twinkling photon

Half my circle of friends just got the PS4+this game bundle in anticipation of Bloodborne. Impressions:

-Borderlands with a Ghost from Halo
-the Ghost is cool but it can't ramp off anything
-only enemies for the first 9 hours or so are 4-5 variations on "Elite with a crab for a head"
-you make a colorful scifi/high-fantasy world with floating moon cities and transhuman robopriests and expect me to get excited about assault rifles with iron sights in this year of our lord
-touch glowsticks to get MMO item collection quests
-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg2im6mi0eo
Old 09-10-2014, 05:24 PM
Senior Squirt

Quote:
But the underlying servers are at Bungie. PSN and XBL only provide connections to them, while the publishers themselves run the servers[...]

I mean, if you want to talk about the online services being "incompatable", I would like to mention that FF11 had cross-platform play between 360, PS2, and PC for years, and FF14 has cross-platform between PS3, PS4, and PC (with it not being on 360 and Xone specifically because MS now outright bans cross-platform), because both games communicate with a central server that S-E owns, in basically the same way that Destiny works.
Ah, I didn't know the servers were at Bungie (or Activision?), I was thinking that PSN/XBL provided the servers for some reason. I also forgot about FFXI. Still, MS stating outright it will not do cross platform is pretty much the final say on the issue.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Conquers the World

Today I was wandering around The Tower and saw another player just standing completely still, so I stood next to him and pointed at him over and over for six straight minutes until he was disconnected from the server and disappeared

Tags
uudd is all for aaa