The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakman View Post
Hey Kishi, I have both Metal Gear AC!D's, should I keep trying to get into the first one, or skip ahead to the second?
If you've already tried and failed to get into the first one, yeah, go ahead and skip.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:14 AM
concentrate

I added a bunch of games and then stopped because I haven't got all day /
Old 01-27-2014, 01:03 AM
Come, noble knights!

I don't know how it happened, but the PS1 page got screwed up somehow. I moved Wolf's Grandia submission out of the header and pasted the proper title type stuff back, but it looks like some games are missing from the list now.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:10 AM
GASP

Nice activity, guys! Great job.

Fiddled with the alphabetization some; moved titles that start with "The" to the first letter of the meaningful part of their title instead (i.e. "The Legend of Zelda" under L, not T).
Old 01-27-2014, 09:35 AM

I added some rows to GBA, DS, and 3DS and chimed in with some huzzahs elsewhere.

I moved Skyward Sword to the top of the Wii tab. I think someone else was in there when I moved it. Sorry if that caused headaches!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:46 AM
Out Of Warranty

My only fear is that TT has so eclectic tastes that two years from now every game under the sun will be listed there!

(on the other hand, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who *loved* Sid Meier's Pirates!)
Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 AM

Added some PS3. Okay, I need to stop.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:12 AM
GASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
My only fear is that TT has so eclectic tastes that two years from now every game under the sun will be listed there!

(on the other hand, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who *loved* Sid Meier's Pirates!)
That's why seconding is useful. Someone can see that one person loved game X, but eight people loved game Y and plan accordingly.

When should a Seconding be changed to ALL THE TYRANTS? At 10+ names?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Sudden chomper

Man, working on this list is addictive. I think we need a way to highlight the games that are beloved by a large number of people on the forums, just to make it easier for people to pick them out of the crowd. Maybe once a game hits 10 seconds its row could be bolded, or colored in? To make it stand out? Also, if it makes it to "ALL THE TYRANTS" status, then people looking for great games could sort the spreadsheet by the Seconded column to get a quick summary of TTs favorites.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 AM

Idle speculation:
This spreadsheet idea is yearning to have more sophisticated software behind it. Ideally, everyone would have their own list of recommended games and a master list would combine all the data so you wouldn't have to manually add up the recommendations and everyone would haven't to remember which things they already recommended if they want to change them. The master list could aggregate who recommended each game and let you browse an individual user's recommendations.

It brings to mind something like GiantBomb or BackLoggery account systems, but for more modest requirements I bet google spreadsheet could do a decent job. Assuming google spreadsheet can access data from another user's spreadsheet then everyone could create their own list starting from a master template, and add their URL to a central list of users. A script in the master list would do all the work of aggregating the data.

Unfortunately this requires someone to pay an upfront cost of figuring out how to do this. The individual cost would be very low though: you would only have to add yourself as a user once.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Man, working on this list is addictive.
No kidding! The thought crossed my mind to make an "Other" tab with an entry of "working on this very spreadsheet" for the lolols but then the universe would implode.

And I second your motion for pretty colors.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Lichotaur

With some entries with long reviews/comments, columns E & F should be wider to allow for more entries to be viewable at once, but I don't what would be best for non-widescreen monitors.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:07 AM

I'm still laughing at how no one has added anything to the XBOne/PS4 Tabs yet.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 AM
Magical Love Gentleman

Contributing to this list is super fun! I'm going to keep adding smaller and less obvious picks as I think of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droewyn View Post
When should a Seconding be changed to ALL THE TYRANTS? At 10+ names?
I think 10 names might still be a few too few. Switching over to ALL THE TYRANTS lessens the visual impact of a huge list of names, makes it harder to track recommendations from individual users, and could potentially make Tyrants who are adding in recommendations later down the line feel left out, so I feel like we should reserve that designation for only the very most popular games. Maybe 15+ names?

Quote:
Sid Meier's Pirates! is rad.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 AM
GASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFink View Post
I'm still laughing at how no one has added anything to the XBOne/PS4 Tabs yet.
That was amusing me, too. So far, my Wii U gets a lot more play than the PS4 does.

EDIT: I like the colors idea, too. How about 10+ seconds is green, and at 15 it's ALL THE TYRANTS and goes gold?
Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 AM
disguised king of surfing

Guys. The forum says there are 1950 Tyrants. It would be a lie if we used "ALL THE TYRANTS" for any number of Tyrants fewer than 1950.

:P
Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I like the colors idea, too. How about 10+ seconds is green, and at 15 it's ALL THE TYRANTS and goes gold?
I like it! The levels may need some tuning as we go along, but we won't know that until we see, I suppose.

A suggestion in the meantime: when a game goes ALL TYRANTS we put the names in a note on that cell. This way, we keep our track record and people can continue to add their names.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Magical Love Gentleman

Quote:
How about 10+ seconds is green, and at 15 it's ALL THE TYRANTS and goes gold?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
A suggestion in the meantime: when a game goes ALL TYRANTS we put the names in a note on that cell. This way, we keep our track record and people can continue to add their names.
These are all good ideas.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:38 PM
GASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I like it! The levels may need some tuning as we go along, but we won't know that until we see, I suppose.

I like that! It keeps the record properly without sacrificing readability for someone who just wants to find some damn games.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:51 PM
le petite mort

Yeah, I think we definitely need to put names back in the seconded list, because I feel like identifying people whose tastes correspond with your own - people who've recommended games that you enjoy - is important to giving weight to other recommendations. Like, there's a lot of crossover between what Droewyn and I like, so if I see that she's suggested something that I haven't played then there's a good chance that I'll like it too. But right now all the popular games just have that ALL THE TYRANTS tag, so I don't have that information.

If we're worried about listing ALL THE NAMES in that seconded box because of table warping issues, maybe we could just make the font in that cell a bit smaller?

[e] I don't know what a cell note does so Ted's suggestion probably fixes this issue.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
[e] I don't know what a cell note does so Ted's suggestion probably fixes this issue.
It does! When you mouse over the cell, the note pops up and you can see all the people who voted for it.

Now look, people, we are one vote short of getting Katamari Damacy on the green list. If that game isn't considered an all-time classic by the people of TT, then we as a community have failed. Get to voting!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:13 PM

Here's another idea to ponder:

The goal: auto-color coding of hotness without getting too complicated.

How: Google spreadsheets has a way to apply conditional formatting based on the contents of a cell. For our purposes, we could apply a background color based on the count of rabid fans of a particular game. Going with the current color scheme we would have the following rules:

Code:
Rule          Value(s)   Formatting
----------    ---------  ------------
Between       10 & 14    Background: green
Greater Than  15         Background: gold
So, the real trick becomes getting the count into a cell. The way I propose doing this is the following:
* we add a new column between "Seconded By" and "Reasons..." titled "Hotness" or whatever
* the value of the new "Hotness" column is the following formula: =IF(LEN(TRIM(D2))=0,0,COLUMNS(SPLIT(D2 ; ";,.?!"))), where D is the "Seconded By" column. Apply it to the "hotness" cell in the first data row and stretch 'er down.
* we apply the conditional formatting outlined above to the new "hotness" column and viola!

Pros:
* Auto-colors
* color range is easily tunable
* Hotness is sortable
* people can continue to add their names
* the workings aren't too complicated and are visible and accessible (and therefore improvable)

Cons:
* The formula won't automatically apply to inserted records, which means spreadsheet-savy people will probably need to jump in every now and then to re-stretch the formula
* The bandwagon stays in a cell, which could make rows tall
* some repetitive work to get it going on all tabs
* only color-codes the cell, not the row

(An alternative is to add some AppScript to the spreadsheet, but that involves behind-the-scenes work and seems more complicated than it's worth at this juncture. I propose we KISS.)

If this sounds interesting I can add a new, temporary tab to demo it.

Last edited by Ted; 01-28-2014 at 09:24 AM. Reason: adjusted formula to not split on space, since we've got folks with spaces in their handles
Old 01-27-2014, 02:18 PM
disguised king of surfing

I dunno, Google's conditional formatting is spotty at best. If you want to try it, go right ahead, though.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:21 PM
Not a Beer

For the record, Link Between Worlds has "ALL THE TYRANTS" with no actual names, even in a note, because I put that in early on before we'd codified the system, as a semi-joke based on an off-hand comment someone made when suggesting the whole project. So nobody ever felt a need to second it. It's pretty much certainly true, though.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:23 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Old 01-27-2014, 02:28 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Deleting the names for a MOST OF is a bad idea, because then how does it count to 15 for an ALL OF. Also, depending on participation 10/15 might be too low of a standard.

I guess people could add names to a MOST OF, but some people might forget whether or not they were part of the original MOST OF group.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 PM
GASP

Yeah, go ahead and make a sandbox tab if you want to. I'm nowhere as near as familiar with Google Spreadsheets as I am Excel, so the differences are throwing me.

I put headers on all the tabs. Feel free to change to a less eye-bleeding color if you like, but I need to do some actual work right now so I need to get out of there.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 PM
TARANTUL

I was going to add "Na naaaaaa, na na na na na naaa naaa" to Katamari's other notes, but someone beat me to it.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Lichotaur

Weirdly, nobody added LttP in the SNES column yet, so I added it and put myself as a second, since I'll let someone else write the description.

Edit: someone put Shiren in the DS column but didn't put their name down. I put myself in as a second.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 PM
TARANTUL

ARGH, why are we mixing carriage returns and comas when delimiting names in the likes column!?

Any way to enforce transformation to one method via a macro in google sheets?

Tags
good games , i made a spreadsheet , recommendations