The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-10-2013, 01:07 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

X6 is definitely the better game. Both X6 and X7 are poorly designed, but X6 is still using X4's inherently fun core mechanics. X7 has poorly designed levels on top of poorly designed mechanics.

Or just ask yourself which game lets you play as the protagonist when you first turn the game on.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
The weird thing is that they did take five minutes just to add a "Damn!" to X1.

Missed potential aside, though, the PS2 collection is a perfectly fine way to play the two worthwhile X games (1 and 4).
And 2.

Oddly, for 3, they decided to emulate the sloppy PSX port instead of use the perfectly serviceable SNES emulation they had going for 1 and 2. Makes a bad experience that much worse.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:59 AM
Little Waves

It's a common misconception that the PS version of X3 is superior because it has (badly) animated cut scenes and fancier (yet worse) music.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:59 AM
Lifetime blunderer

It's everything you already found dull about X3 except the music totally sucks now!
Old 03-10-2013, 05:10 AM
Unreleased Beta Version

See, I don't understand why X3 is so disliked but X4 so loved. While I do think that Volt Catfish is a serious contender for worst boss in the series and a few of the stages are mediocre, I don't see how they're any worse than the low points in X4.

(and 2 is totally the best in the series)
Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Little Waves

X4 has Zero. I definitely wouldn't put it up there with X1 if not for that.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:08 AM
New Video World is out!

I prefer X7 to X6 by virtue of the fact that X7 is simply boring. X6 is actively hostile to the player and utterly infuriating. And because it looks and sounds so nice you just keep waiting for it to get good and it never does, ever.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:12 AM
#deadfish2017

X6 is worth its weight in gold if only for that one spectacular playthrough.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:13 AM
New Video World is out!

HideOfBeast? I loved that series with all my heart. The calm, measured venom of it. Just beautiful.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
X4 has Zero. I definitely wouldn't put it up there with X1 if not for that.
Play as Zero mode is the sort of crazy novelty that sells the whole package, yes.

It's also all kinds of awesome that there's one boss where you can sneak one of them big stompy robo-suits into the fight. That's just great.

X3 meanwhile is just seriously going through the motions. No new ideas being brought to the table, stage design is almost exclusively "here's a big factory or something," there's a serious lack of enemy variety, and what you do get is seriously lacking in personality, and none of the bosses have any sort of interesting gimmick going on.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:08 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I prefer X7 to X6 by virtue of the fact that X7 is simply boring. X6 is actively hostile to the player and utterly infuriating. And because it looks and sounds so nice you just keep waiting for it to get good and it never does, ever.
X6 has its problems...really, really, big and dumb problems...but personally, I still prefer it to X7.

Both games were rushed to market, but it especially shows in Mega Man X7's move to 3D. Enemies take too many hits, the platforming is unpolished, the full 3D segments are dreadful, the voice option only half works so you're stuck listening to the crappy dub during gameplay, Zero's been nerfed considerably, Axl is a terrible and unnecessary character with a badly implemented transformation gimmick, and X isn't even playable unless you grind enough Reploid citizen saves to break him out of his plot-induced pacifism.

But anyway, for a game made in like a month, Mega Man 7 (NOT X7!) was comparatively a better product for one tossed right out the door ASAP, regardless of how it compares to the NES games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Play as Zero mode is the sort of crazy novelty that sells the whole package, yes.
Yeah, X himself got the short end of the stick. He does get the usual armor upgrades, but aside from the buster his weapons are crappy situational crap. Zero is awesome in that with one (super) exception, all of his abilities use no energy and are integrated into his standard moveset, more like a Metroidvania character than Mega Man.

Fully playable Zero is what makes Mega Man X4 awesome instead of awful. Well okay, that and the unintentionally hilarious dub.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:52 AM
There's no thread shortag

Every thread turns into Mega Man discussion, Part 245.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 AM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post

X3 meanwhile is just seriously going through the motions. No new ideas being brought to the table, stage design is almost exclusively "here's a big factory or something," there's a serious lack of enemy variety, and what you do get is seriously lacking in personality, and none of the bosses have any sort of interesting gimmick going on.
No interesting gimmicks? No interesting gimmicks?! No way!! X3's got those polygons, bro! Polygons! Wave of the goddamn future! And if there's one thing I know, Megaman ain't SHIT without some of those sweet 'gons!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 AM
chairman of the bored

Well X5 has bosses named after Guns n Roses members which has to be the most "interesting" of all the gimmicks.

ALL OF THEM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Default MY LOVE OF FANGORAM TRANCENDS ALL LOGiC, REASON ECT ECT.

I'm not playing Gungrave OD right now and I kinda really want to.

: C

Last edited by BEAT; 03-11-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: THERE IS NOTHING NOT AWESOME ABOUT AN 11 FOOT TALL SUPER ZOMBIE IN A GIANT TRENCHCOAT WHO IS QUIET UPSET AT YOU AND EXPERSSES THIS FEELING BY SHOUTING "GRAAAVE" ALL THE TIME.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
No interesting gimmicks? No interesting gimmicks?! No way!! X3's got those polygons, bro! Polygons! Wave of the goddamn future! And if there's one thing I know, Megaman ain't SHIT without some of those sweet 'gons!
The lame limited use version of Zero is what most people remember, but didn't it also have different varieties of robo-suit you could access via panels after unlocking them? It's a shame the potential of those wasn't explored further in the later games. Certainly would've been a better gimmick than those stupid autoscrolling bike stages.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
I'm not playing Gungrave OD right now and I kinda really want to.

: C
I never did get around to playing that one, but I really should considering it has a rock'n'roll ghost named ROCKETBILLY REDCADILLAC who fights by hula-hooping his guitar at dudes.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGuffin View Post
a rock'n'roll ghost named ROCKETBILLY REDCADILLAC who fights by hula-hooping his guitar at dudes.
How in the world did I miss this??

Edit: Just youtubed it. I need to be playing this right now.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:16 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It is the story of a huge dead guy and his friends Zatoichi & Casper wrecking everybody's shit.

It is such a wonderful little game

Last edited by BEAT; 03-11-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Goodbye!

Why THE HELL is Wario Land 3 not on the 3DS Eshop?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
Why THE HELL is Wario Land 3 not on the 3DS Eshop?
It is, just not in The New Worlde.

I would not be terribly surprised if it came out around the same time we get the Oracle games, personally. Nintendo seems to favor a Feast or Famine approach to digital releases.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
It is, just not in The New Worlde.

I would not be terribly surprised if it came out around the same time we get the Oracle games, personally. Nintendo seems to favor a Feast or Famine approach to digital releases.
I only picked up a 3DS two weeks ago, and firing up the Virtual Console section in the store I was like "is that it?" I know that Nintendo is miserly with releases, but this is just sad.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Mystery Contraption

Well, to be fair, they've got Links Awakening, DK 94, Mega Man 2 and 3, Bionic Commando, Wario Land 2 and Punch Out on there already.

Can't really ask for much more then that without getting greedy.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Quote:
Well, to be fair, they've got Links Awakening, DK 94, Mega Man 2 and 3, Bionic Commando, Wario Land 2 and Punch Out on there already.

And that's without mentioning rougher-around-the-edges classics like Metroid and first two Zeldas.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:07 PM

Default Guess what I'm not playing guys. Any PS3 games!

So 7 months later, my PS3 has once again stopped working. Since I paid to have it re-balled last time, it's still under a 9 month warranty. Here are some things I've learned:
Quote:
1.) If your PS3 stops displaying anything on an HDMI connection, but recovers by itself 10 minutes later, you are 10-15 hours away from an YLOD.

2.) Do not place your PS3 on a shelf of glass. The glass will retain heat at the bottom of your PS3 and increase its temperature. Elevate it with something hollow and metal preferably.

3.) If you got your disc out the first YLOD, don't count on it on the second.
I've already ordered a super slim but hopefully I can recover my save files and disc. I already had an issue with my PS2, so I'm kind of wary of the PS4.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
2.) Do not place your PS3 on a shelf of glass. The glass will retain heat at the bottom of your PS3 and increase its temperature. Elevate it with something hollow and metal preferably.
Oh... uh...

I... should get that seen to...
Old 04-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Not 100% a dick

Quote:

I agree, but would it really hurt to focus on getting the rest of the decent Game Boy games out before moving onto the NES games we've already bought two or three or four times already? I mean, when they said 3DS Virtaual Console, I was excited for cheap GB and GBC games, not all the same NES games again. It's not like there are that many great GB games anyway, and that's coming from someone who was inseparable from his GameBoy while growing up. They don't build rosier nostalgia glasses than these, no sir.

Also, I really want to play Pokémon Fire Red again, but there are a bunch of mons on there that I don't want to erase, and to Pal Park them all to safety would take... well, not that long, but I just can't be arsed.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:37 PM
one zero zero one SOS

I'm more just griping about things that don't exist, but I'd really like to see a Mario & Luigi RPG box set that contains the first 3 games. I could always just buy the games individually, but I like sets.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
Would a small metal cooling rack work?
Old 04-15-2013, 06:34 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

The PS3 is the most ridiculously needy, high-maintenance game system, from what I've experienced. You can't even keep the thing in a bloody shelf. because of how much heat it blasts out. Even if it has no backing. I've been forced to put it on top of my entertainment center just to make sure it won't choke to death on hot air. Plus, when I have it on, I swear my room temperature goes up at least 5 degrees after about 45 minutes.

Tags
a whiner is you , gripes