The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 07-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Bug/Flying

Default Skaianet Approved: General MSPA Discussion

MSPA has turned into a behemoth of a webcomic series at this point, considering that Homestuck's bordering on 2,000 pages at the moment and has more plot than you can shake a stick at (to say nothing of Problem Sleuth). Since an involved discussion would likely end up devouring the Webcomics thread whole and since MSPA updates are frequent enough to keep the chatter going, I figured it's about time we started up a thread for the comic itself. So, without further ado:

> Talk about MS Paint Adventures.

Also: Pesterchum has just been released! Feel like chatting it up with other Tyrants about whatever in particular, or plan on trolling the hell out of them instead? Just post your handle in the thread and have at it.

Currently on the chumroll:
•artificialGirl (teg)
•bosonicExploit (Ruik)
•papillonReel (PapillonReel)
•thunderousArach (shawn struck)

Last edited by PapillonReel; 08-01-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:01 PM
:O

I just wanted to say that I love how any other storyteller would just pan to avoid showing the mysterious blood type. Andrew? He makes it flashing rainbow colors and puts a large question mark next to it.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Bug/Flying

I just realized that, because of that wound on his side, all that typing Karkat did about blackroms and moirails and whatever he did in his chat with Vriska? It was done entirely one-handed. Holy fuck, that right there is dedication.

Also, Jack Noir: He's all stabbed out. Probably.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Your imaginary pal

I like how he's managed to make the trolls sympathetic in general. I didn't figure I might wind up LIKING the body builder one when he was introduced with musclebeast posters. Andrew Hussie seems to take pride in taking characters with offputting traits and making them endearing somehow. To saying nothing of Bro.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Or maybe his blood does actually flicker, and the ? is not "MYSTERY TIME" but the author going "WTF, rainbow blood?"

Okay, probably not. But I'd just previously assumed Karkat was grey, and that that was the bottom of the totem pole, not that he was concealing a blood type. But I haven't been reading thoroughly.

Possibly it's UV, since the further towards the violet end you go, the higher the class of the bleeder.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewd View Post
I like how he's managed to make the trolls sympathetic in general. I didn't figure I might wind up LIKING the body builder one when he was introduced with musclebeast posters. Andrew Hussie seems to take pride in taking characters with offputting traits and making them endearing somehow. To saying nothing of Bro.
Yeah, I never thought I'd see the day where Vriska would be sympathetic, much less likeable, and yet here we are.

Speaking of which, I'm really liking where things seem to be heading at the moment. An espionage mission with Karkat, Vriska and Jack Noir into the heart of Derse (possibly even with Terezi as back-up)? Considering how sociopathic and adorabloodthirsty the three can be at times, this is going to get interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Possibly it's UV, since the further towards the violet end you go, the higher the class of the bleeder.
Could be! Either way, it seems that Andrew's going to be keeping his blood colour underwraps for a while longer - my guess being until the trolls all die, like Sollux predicted inside the veil earlier on. Having him keep it a secret until the very end would have the dramatic impact I think Andrew's aiming for with this arc.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
Come to that, is Sollux waking up the furthest thing we've seen, chronologically?
From what I remember, yeah - according to this strip, he was the last one into the medium, or at least the last one in on the Blue Team's chain. As it stands, it's looking like the chains will be CG < GC < TC < AT < AG < GA // CT < AA < AC < CA / CC < TA for the two sides, with CA and CC going either way. My guess is it's linked with their dream selves, or something along those lines.

I don't think we've been formally introduced to GrimAuxiliatrix either, now that I think about it. I wonder when we'll get around to her side of the story?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:56 PM
utada hikaru

Yeah I just spent like ten hours catching up and I'm not even close to caught up.

I will never stop. Not when the author is wont to put entire flash games in his comic as an update.

Last edited by Phat; 07-28-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:29 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

I just love that the trolls seem to be an excercise in making escalatingly reprehensible characters into increasingly endearing characters.

Also, Equius jumping through the first gate and beating the first boss by punching its head off is one of the best crowning moments of awesome the series has had thus far.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:44 PM
ribbit

Well, that reveal came sooner than expected.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Bug/Flying

HIS BLOOD IS RED.

Well. Guess that explains everything, I suppose.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:50 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walliard View Post
Well, that reveal came sooner than expected.
Seriously, one day? Hahahaha.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:52 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

So Nodal talked me into reading some of homestuck. His time will come.

It's pretty neat, no lie, but there are parts that make me pause and go "Wait what." I'm not really talking about the whole video game ending the world thing, so much as the fact that once you get aways in, suddenly the jokes are based on assigning numeric values to letters. I can't approve of stuff like that on principle.

Also some of the chatlogs run a little long for my tastes. I'm looking at you, granny jester ghost spirit thing.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:22 PM

I was rereading this thread the other day, and I saw something interesting:
Quote:
Quote:
The only question is: What the crap is GEL VISCOSITY for?
It's like HP. The Gel Cube he picked up restored his Life Gauge. I guess the Life Gauge thing is like a Tube of Gel and your Vial of Life inside it, being attacked just slowly pushes your Vial of Life out of your Tube of Gel. His Gel Viscosity increased, so it will now be harder for imps to push his Vial of Life out.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat View Post
It's pretty neat, no lie, but there are parts that make me pause and go "Wait what." I'm not really talking about the whole video game ending the world thing, so much as the fact that once you get aways in, suddenly the jokes are based on assigning numeric values to letters. I can't approve of stuff like that on principle.
Yeah, the fetch modi jokes and the like tend to wear out their welcome after a while, I found. On the plus side, you're nearing the point in the story when they start having less and less relevance; it's rare that they get mentioned at all once Dave enters the medium and the plot really starts to take over.

Better get used to the chat logs though; they're only getting more common from here on out (though the trolls being awesome mitigates that somewhat. Karkat/carcinoGeneticist and Terezi/gallowsCalibrator? Right up there with John as two of my favourite characters).
Old 07-28-2010, 08:22 PM

Oh, and now that we have a thread for it I guess I'll post this again:

EDIT: wait a second. The forums are all locked, so that link won't work. It's the Pesterchum download. I'll repost it later.

Also, am I the only person who has a borderline obsession with figuring out ways to break Sburb? The Captchalog Camera and Pictionary modus being perfect examples of exactly how to sequence-break the whole thing.

In one of the many Homestuck /co/ threads, I once mentioned the first thing I would alchemize would be "printer && captchalog card".
Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

So should we start a Penny Arcade thread? And a Kate Beaton thread? And a any-other-generally-liked-by-TT-webcomic-thread?

I'm just curious.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
So should we start a Penny Arcade thread? And a Kate Beaton thread? And a any-other-generally-liked-by-TT-webcomic-thread?

I'm just curious.
Uh, no? Slippery slope isn't exactly a valid argument, and I've already gone into detail in the first post why MSPA warrants its own thread anyway (namely: serialization, update speed, relative complexity, full-on discussion overwhelming the other comics, etc.).

EDIT: I think I'll add in the Pesterchum link to the OP, Teg. Plus it doesn't hurt having all of the handles up there to save people the trouble of hunting through the thread for them.

EDIT2: Pesterchum is hell on Macs. :/ Anyway, I'm papillonReel on the chance I'm online (which isn't often; I'm terrible with IM clients).

Last edited by PapillonReel; 07-28-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 PM
D=

Jack Noir and Karkat: Best Hatefriends Forever.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

I'll be honest, I stopped reading the chat logs in their entirety some time ago. I just have my MSPA-fiend buddy bottom-line them for me.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:43 AM

What? The new Pesterchum version has a quirk manager! Now all those stupid typing gimmicks are automatic! Doing this!

Your chumhandle is artificialGirl. You have an un4tun8 10dency 2 type f1ny. You are a fan of HIGHLY ELABORATE WEBCOMICS and HIGHLY INEFFICIENT CHAT CLIENTS, and are a longtime perpetrator of COMPULSIVE FAN-WANKERY.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:29 AM
HERE IS ME AND MY FRIEND

Done!

thunderousArach, here.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 AM
It's all good, man

Man, could you guys have been more wrong about the blood thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat View Post
Also some of the chatlogs run a little long for my tastes.
Yeah. They're usually funny, but I still find myself sighing every time an especially long one presents itself.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Man, could you guys have been more wrong about the blood thing?
I'm glad someone pointed out that a lot of the spooky foreshadowing gets resolved anticlimactically in a couple of days max. Should keep it in mind the next time - I mean after all we do know how this ends, the trolls lose.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Not a Beer

Man, I read a bit of MSPA back when it was about some noir-ish dude trying to get out of his apartment. This thread is very bewildering.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:56 AM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonReel View Post
CG < GC < TC < AT < AG < GA // CT < AA < AC < CA / CC < TA
Wait. So all the trolls are DNA?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Wait. So all the trolls are DNA?
Sburb kids, too. GT (EB) < TT < TG < GG
Old 07-29-2010, 11:08 AM

p3St3rc|-|uM 5u% u53 4 r341 cl13nt l1k3 tr0ll14n
Old 07-29-2010, 11:47 AM

I discovered something about Pesterchum: You have to save before you close it or it will drop all the names you add to your chumroll, plus your own info.

You seemingly have to enter your own chumhandle each time.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
is Earnest

I was really annoyed by long chatlogs for a while, but I've grown to love them. They usually have some of the funniest parts of the story buried in them.

Tags
andrew hussie , deudly firearms , doujinshi man gaka , fish puns , homestuck , horses , let me tell you , mspa , phernalia registry , problem sloth , problem sluth , webcomics , where doing it man , where making this hapen