The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 PM
A smoothing criminal

Location: Somewhere between a rhetorical question and a punchline.
Default I'm happy because The Alliance Alive looks fun and it is getting localized.

Disregard the sad text below, as The Alliance Alive is getting localized by Atlus in Early 2018!

I'm sad because The Alliance Alive looks fun and it might not get localized.

While it appears that The Alliance Alive has been getting really good word of mouth from various folks (those in Japan, as well as importers) who've gotten their hands on the game and Famitsu's 34/40 review score (if that even means anything), the game debuted last week with sales of 26k units or so, which is basically half of what The Legend of Legacy did in its first week.

I'm incredibly sad. I've been really enjoying TLoL as a SaGa-lite experience, and TAA looks to improve on it in so many ways as a much fuller RPG adventure with more QoL additions and changes. Heck, Suikoden creator Yoshitaka Murayama wrote the scenario for this game, and folks who've been playing through the game so far have said the story is much more prominent and quite engaging. It's kinda insane to think this is the first game-related thing he's worked on in like 11 years.

Here's the second trailer for the game with a bunch of stuff, including additional playable characters:

- As noted before in previous discussions of the first trailer, the production values are much higher here. There are multiple distinct worlds to explore, just as in previous SaGa games like Frontier, with a bunch of different means of transportation.

- Battle encounters can be chained together, just like in SaGa 2 DS, with an additional flashy and fast transition to the next battle in the queue.

- There's more customization in the form of talents, which work like a more sane and manageable implementation of the idea behind the skill panels from Unlimited SaGa. Your characters earn talent points in battle, which can be used to earn proficiency in various weapon types, increase the probability of escaping battle, add SP auto-recovery between each battle round, and more. This helps offset quite a bit of the randomness SaGa games tend to have with handing out stat increases and new skills.

- Magic is streamlined so that instead of needing to take field control with elemental contracts in order to cast, your characters just need to either have the innate capability or be equipped with a runic weapon. Spells can just be purchased instead of having to find the right whispering shard to spam until you awaken the skill.

- The soundtrack is full of eclectic experimental Hamauzu goodness.

- It even shares some aspects with the somewhat recently released SaGa: Scarlet Grace, such as dual protagonists in each route, and that's probably never coming over here, too. =(

Also, I need to reemphasize that this guy is a playable character:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gematsu
Robbins

Race: Penguin

A male penguin. He has a wife and three children. He has an unheard-of personality, always considering himself to be the person that attracts the most attention. Marlin sashimi is his favorite food.

Source
Like I get that people have a distaste for FuRyu because of the jank and under-utilization of the big names in their released games, but some people have been actively wishing for this game to be ignored and left unlocalized. I've never understood why people want to block the opportunity for others to play a game they want to play if there isn't anything egregiously wrong with it. And this legitimately looks like it's going to be FuRyu's most fully realized game.

I have my doubts that Atlus USA is going to pick this up after the debacle with The Caligula Effect's digital-only release. Considering the number of changes they've been going through lately in terms of staff and policy, it seems like they're barely just holding together with localizing games from both Atlus JP (especially considering the ordeal with Persona 5 more or less stopping everything else) and Sega (with the upcoming Yakuza games likely being huge undertakings in themselves).

As I've mentioned before, I no longer have the same amount of free time that I used to for manually translating JP-only games as I play, so I probably won't be able to play TAA at all, ever, if it never gets localized. This hobby that's supposed to bring joy to offset the despair of living only brings more despair. Why do I even bother?

Last edited by Ahamkara; 09-13-2017 at 07:06 PM. Reason: I forgot that Atlus USA does a bunch of Sega localizations now, too. [UPDATE 2017.09.13] LOCALIZATION BY ATLUS ANNOUNCED!!!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 PM
Objection!

I'm not sure I would take JP sales numbers as indication that a game won't get localized? Like, unless those numbers utterly tank the devs straight up, poor JP sales numbers would seem to me to instead indicate an INCREASED need to localize, and get access to the MUCH LARGER North American market.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:02 PM
A smoothing criminal

Well, I was mainly referring to the state of Atlus USA, as they would have been best poised to localize it as they had an existing relationship with FuRyu. Nobody else, aside from XSEED, have worked with them, and the poor performance of Unchained Blades was where their relationship began and ended. FuRyu otherwise does not have a game publishing or localizing presence outside of Japan.

Out of curiosity, I ended up looking up the NPD LTD sales for TLoL and got 31k units as of December 2015. That's about half of what it did in Japan. If that trend holds for this game, it would probably do around 15k or so, and that's not even accounting for the shrinking active userbase of the 3DS in NA who might have been interested in this game.

Would Atlus USA really have any incentive to work on TAA when they have bigger projects that'll likely yield better results that they could be working on? Would they even have room for it with the current queue of games they're already working on into next year?
Old 06-29-2017, 09:32 PM
A smoothing criminal

More impressions on the game from somebody who imported. And I suppose I was a bit off-base about my assumptions on the game's performance, as it appears the game sold about 70% of its initial shipment. FuRyu apparently put out a smallish print of the game in the first place, and secondhand prices for the game are higher than standard retail. I suppose this bodes well for the game, at least in Japan.

There a bunch of footage of the game on Youtube now. Here's some gameplay footage from the demo released earlier (some early spoilers to be expected, of course):
Old 09-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Objection!

Alliance Alive was just announced for localization on the Nintendo Direct.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:15 PM
#deadfish2017

Woooo yeah!!

Also all you jerks who haven't played Leg of Leg go play it you jerks
Old 09-13-2017, 05:07 PM

I'm glad Ahamkara doesn't have to be sad anymore.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:13 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Woooo yeah!!

Leg of Lamb?
Old 09-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Obsession or passion?

Neat!

Heard bad things about Leg of Lamb so I'm skipping it but definitely interested in joining AA.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:26 PM
#deadfish2017

You heard wrong it's great
Old 09-13-2017, 05:34 PM
Love is OGR

Christian Nutt's take on The Legend of Legacy is good reading. I put over ten hours into the demo of the game alone. It's fantastic, and filling the hole left by SaGas that haven't materialized in English yet, so anything akin to it is definitely within my interests.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:35 PM
so exciting!

big shout out to atlus for being brave enough to keep releasing 3DS games in 2018
Old 09-13-2017, 06:42 PM
dislikes anti-magic

omg yes
I'll admit I didn't think this game was gonna make it over.
I am so glad I was wrong. Legend of Legacy was the goddamn truth - didn't love the magic field system, and that's gone now! - and I'm so ready for more Awakenings.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:55 PM
A smoothing criminal

Default I'm happy because The Alliance Alive looks fun and it is getting localized.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLIANCE ALIVE

The irony that a localization gets announced right after I bought this:
Quote:
Thankfully it wasn't anywhere near as much as what that one guy spent on Rondo of Blood right before it finally got an international release, lol

Anyways, new announcement trailer for the localization!

Old 09-14-2017, 03:45 AM
A smoothing criminal

Default Late replies because my internet died.

Hey Mods, can you help me with a title change for this thread? Is that a thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
Alliance Alive was just announced for localization on the Nintendo Direct.
Hey, thank you for bringing the topic back and breaking the good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Woooo yeah!!

This is good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
I'm glad Ahamkara doesn't have to be sad anymore.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
Christian Nutt's take on The Legend of Legacy is good reading. I put over ten hours into the demo of the game alone. It's fantastic, and filling the hole left by SaGas that haven't materialized in English yet, so anything akin to it is definitely within my interests.
Yeah, that article really summed up a lot of why I loved The Legend of Legacy. I've more or less given up on Scarlet Grace ever being localized unless we keep having miracles like this happening, but at least Kawazu's contemporaries have been able to keep some of his unorthodox game design methodologies alive and available internationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
big shout out to atlus for being brave enough to keep releasing 3DS games in 2018
Indeed. And physical as well! Unless you're in the EU because Atlus decided to cheap out there with a digital-only release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabite View Post
omg yes
I'll admit I didn't think this game was gonna make it over.
I am so glad I was wrong. Legend of Legacy was the goddamn truth - didn't love the magic field system, and that's gone now! - and I'm so ready for more Awakenings.
Same, I'm glad to be wrong as well, haha. C'mon Atlus, gimme the Awakenings!
Old 09-14-2017, 03:57 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahamkara View Post
Hey Mods, can you help me with a title change for this thread? Is that a thing?
Consider it sorted.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:58 AM
A smoothing criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Consider it sorted.
Thank you, Kishi!
Old 09-16-2017, 11:02 PM

This game looks cool and fun and exactly the sort of game I've been craving lately, so at the behest of TT I took a plunge and just bought Legend of Legacy to tide me over.

I remember not liking the demo that much. And honestly the main game felt pretty well represented by the demo now that I'm playing the real thing. But it sure is hitting the spot right now. Thanks y'all.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:09 PM
This Guy

I need to give Legend of Legacy another go. I put a few hours into it when it was new, but I got distracted by something else (TriForce Heroes, maybe) and never got back it. I remembered loving the aesthetics and being annoyed at its inscrutability.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:01 AM
A smoothing criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
This game looks cool and fun and exactly the sort of game I've been craving lately, so at the behest of TT I took a plunge and just bought Legend of Legacy to tide me over.

I remember not liking the demo that much. And honestly the main game felt pretty well represented by the demo now that I'm playing the real thing. But it sure is hitting the spot right now. Thanks y'all.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the game so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I need to give Legend of Legacy another go. I put a few hours into it when it was new, but I got distracted by something else (TriForce Heroes, maybe) and never got back it. I remembered loving the aesthetics and being annoyed at its inscrutability.
Yeah, it's definitely a good time to jump back into it if you can. The game opens up a lot more once you get past the initial areas.

I'd say the easiest way to go about things is to use the skills you like a lot to level them up and awaken new skills, dodge the small battles when you can to focus on filling out the maps, and put together a good variety of battle formations to suit your play style. Also, revisiting areas after you've sold their completed maps will unlock a few new things there, including opportunities to learn new battle stances for formations.

Setting up the appropriate elemental shield spell will get you through a lot of tough bosses and provide you the flexibility to not have to have a person in Guard stance the whole time. Also, elemental contracting doesn't have to be spammed (outside of elemental tug-of-war instances) unless you're 1)trying to quickly boost a particular element to max out its effect (i.e. fire's damage-doubling) or 2)fighting one of those superbosses that get buffed by majority shadow elemental field control.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:06 AM
A smoothing criminal

Default Double-Post for "New" Content

So a bit late to sharing this, but I found out a while ago that someone translated a Dengeki Online interview with Masataka Matsuura, the producer and director of The Legend of Legacy and The Alliance Alive. Here are a few choice quotes from the article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengeki Online
D: “Are there any events that become inaccessible after a certain event, or rare items which are lost forever, or other missable elements like that?” (Tough tactics-san)

M: Taken to its extreme, The Alliance Alive is a constant stream of ‘missable elements’. (laughs) For example, through a certain choice, there is an NPC which will die, but instead you will receive the remaining belongings of the dead NPC. There’s no right choice, so please decide for yourself how you will play.

This game experiments with trying to rehabilitate ‘people who care too much about missable elements’. The more used to RPGs you are, the more used to caring about missable elements you become, but I believe that that becomes a bad habit. I’m a classic example of that type of person, but I end up caring too much about efficiency and gains or losses that instead of enjoying the game I just get stressed instead.

D: I see. I think you’re correct in thinking that. I have lost motivation in playing a game because I missed a timed event before…

M: That’s exactly it. Of course, there are definitely people who hate missing out on anything, but we didn’t do this out of spite for the players, but more aimed to let the players play the game without worrying about such things.

For example, this game’s encyclopedia doesn’t have a numbering system. There are no blank columns or choices hidden with a “???” mark either. I think different people will create different-looking encyclopedias. We added a screenshot function to complement this different way of playing as well.

No matter what way you play, you can clear the game, and in the end there is no big change to the ending of the story. In exchange, the story process in the middle will change based on the player’s choices.
I'm personally guilty of this kind of obsessive completionism, too, so I'm on board with what the team is trying to do here. Also, removing the "???" spaces is a nice improvement from TLoL, where it ended up spoiling how robust or limited a particular weapon or magic skillset would be based on skill variety alone. Though since much of that game was seemingly designed around recording a complete record of your discoveries while exploring, I suppose it makes much more sense there.

Quote:
D: “Are Talent Points also spread across to characters who aren’t fighting?” (by Oorurin-san)

M: It definitely will. It also saves up across characters who haven’t joined up yet, and you will obtain all the saved points when they do officially join the party, so you don’t need to fret about characters not being trained up well.
Talent points, as I mentioned in the first post of this topic, are a currency earned in battle that is used to learn new proficiencies and traits. Having the pool accumulated for all characters from the start is a wonderful idea that save a lot of time.

Quote:
D: I see that you’ve made it so you find out more about the world as you explore it further. Why did you decide to make it like that?

M: Murayama-san and I talked quite about this, and the fact is that touching on the worldview and setting within the main story makes the game exposition heavy. People playing to enjoy the characters and drama would lose their empathy and get lost in the heavy usage of lingo. That’s why these parts are part of the sidequests and exploration.
Murayama really is a match made in heaven with SaGa, haha.

Quote:
D: “It’s a bit early to say but if reviews are good is there a possibility of making a sequel?” (by Dareka-san)

M: This is a harsh time for making new console-based RPG titles, so I probably won’t. Saying that, ‘not being able to make something even if you want to’ has become the norm nowadays, so I decided to make the game as if it were my last, without regrets. If I think of any good projects, I might suggest something else, but it will probably be something completely different from this game.

This is all cynical talk, but I would feel sorry if I raised hopes then ended up not being able to make it, so I thought I’d just say the truth outright.

On the other hand, as we made it as if it was the last one, because we made this game holding a defiant attitude, we can say that this game is truly something special. It is because we worked on this with something like a grudge that we managed to make such a big game. It’s an RPG full of thoughts like these, so for those interested, it might be a reason to try our game out.
This whole chunk speaks for itself.

Credits to Ali from Subculture Impressions for the thorough translation.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:41 AM
does the Underpants Dance

That guy is pretty great. The bit about leaving out ??? entries is genius and I wish other devs would feel like doing that (heck I'm guilty of the same thing too).
Old 09-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Missables annoy me when they're arbitrary, i.e., when there are just a couple of them and getting them is really obtuse. When they're woven into the fabric of the game, like how Romancing SaGa has lots and lots of missable stuff because time is always passing, I kind of like them.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:42 PM
A smoothing criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
The bit about leaving out ??? entries is genius and I wish other devs would feel like doing that (heck I'm guilty of the same thing too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Missables annoy me when they're arbitrary, i.e., when there are just a couple of them and getting them is really obtuse.
I agree. I wish more devs would move away from fueling the checklist mentality in their game design because it tends to make a game more stressful when you're spending a lot of time and not getting something you need for that 100% completion. The inclusion of obtuse missables is at odds with pretty much any kind of completion percentage implementation, especially for games that already require 40-50 hours or more of your time for a single playthrough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
When they're woven into the fabric of the game, like how Romancing SaGa has lots and lots of missable stuff because time is always passing, I kind of like them.
It also gives incentive to replay the game since each playthrough will almost always have new and different things happening for a player. Captures the feel of a tabletop RPG in a way, though that's basically Kawazu's MO in game design, haha.

In other news, I started playing Unlimited Saga again because all of this SaGa-ish news has me wanting to dive back into the deep cuts.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:40 PM
A smoothing criminal

Default that's a nice keychain

Quote:
I didn't see this until recently, but I'm pretty glad to see that Atlus USA is going all out on the launch edition like they did for TLoL.

It's a damn shame that EU regions are missing out on this, though.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:30 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Oh, I forgot to post about it, but I played through what I gather is about the first 1/3 of this on a long trip a few weeks ago.

I have mixed feelings so far. I think people (like me) who wanted them to build on and polish Legend of Legacy will be disappointed, because it's definitely not that. So far, it feels like a lost SNES era Final Fantasy in terms of linearity and balance (in other words: very linear, braindead easy balance if you're paying attention at all — there are a lot of mutually exclusive choices, but so far they're a lot of "kill this guy for a reward now, or save him for obviously some endgame benefit" type of stuff, rather than the explorational freedom of Legend of Legacy.). I think this should make it a game with a much broader appeal, but I hope it doesn't struggle too much with finding an audience. People paying attention to it because they liked Legend of Legacy won't find what they want, and people not paying attention to it because they thought/heard Legend of Legacy was terrible would probably love it. If it can find its audience (people who like 16-bit RPGs), I think a lot of people will love it, though.

"This is too much like FFVI/Chrono Trigger (almost universally agreed upon as some of the greatest JRPGs of all time), but I wanted a slightly improved Legend of Legacy (thought of as a janky broken disaster)" is a complaint that I don't think will find a lot of agreement, but it's how I feel.

That came across as negative, but to be fair does so much right:
*4x speed and avoidable enemy encounters eases the tedium of JRPG battles
*the interface feels great, with great sound effects that makes everything fun to do
*the game is briskly paced and breezy (again, in a FFVI/Chrono Trigger kind of way)
*Hamauzu soundtrack is amazing
*Towns have a lot of atmosphere, but with restraint about the number of NPCs and their dialogue, so getting to a new town doesn't feel like a burden
*Transparency in what your different party members can do, and with the talent system you can decide what types of weapon/spell affinities they have
*Tons of freedom to customize characters: Your only limit is base stats, which don't improve except HP/SP. (Like Legend of Legacy, individual skills are what level up.) So, you have a bunch of different sets of base stats to decide what to do with.
*Efficiency of dialogue for story events, with clearly characterized party members but avoiding bad anime style endless overexplanation and lore dumps (unlike, say, Bravely Default)
*One of your characters pilots a Duck Mecha, and is kind of like a Saga Robot, where she can learn some unique mecha skills but also gets skills from equipping different mecha parts.
*World map is well designed, with some hidden tough encounters and events if you poke around
*Clever use of different vehicles. (Your first vehicle does a jump and glide, like Breath of the Wild.)
*You can do a quicksave anywhere, in addition to normal saves. They're real saves that don't disappear after you open them, so you can just quicksave before a touch encounter if you want to push the limits of what your party can do with something you're obviously not "supposed" to fight. (The negative side of this: At least early on, these are pretty much the only challenging battles.)

Some specific elements that bother me other than "this is Final Fantasy VI-2: Now With Sparks and Battle Formations instead of Legend of Legacy 2":

*It seems like it was designed with the XL 3DS models in mind, because in large zoomed out towns so many character models for NPCs are next to indistinguishable on my normal sized model. This is a problem in a game where there are multiple species of NPCs, and that's a central part of the story. Am I talking to a human, a kind of semi-furry elven type, or an animal servant (working as kind of grunts to the semi-furry elven types enslave humans). It takes something away that this isn't obvious.
*I feel like, in an attempt to be more accessible, they pared down what features are available early on. I kept thinking I missed some NPC conversation that would turn on a certain feature, but no it just comes really late. It feels like an overly cautious overcorrection to people being overwhelmed by Legend of Legacy.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:46 PM
This Guy

You might have sold me a copy of the game. I was pretty much out after another aborted attempt to wring some enjoyment out of Legend of Legacy, but that description sounds much better.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:15 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I'm glad.

To be more concise, my basic thoughts are: This is not what I wanted, but it's a great game and I think most people who post on Talking Time should love it.

We'll see what happens in the lat 2/3 of the game, though.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:05 AM
Curious Young Gent

I failed to have fun with LoLegacy despite good early impressions and liking the artstyle and whatnot. After reading several lengthy impressions and descriptions here and elsewhere, I still have no idea whether this will prove to be more of the same.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:06 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
I still have no idea whether this will prove to be more of the same.
I don't know how I could be any more clear that this is absolutely not more of the same.

Tags
happening , kawazu-flavored , legend of legacy , saga , spiritual successor