The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-12-2017, 03:58 PM
whatever it takes

YES I FINALLY BEAT FENRIR

And by the skin of my teeth, too -- at 1:15 with my team mostly out of hones and Fenrir already beginning his enrage phase, it was Tifa's Radiant Shield that ended up winning the day. I didn't get Enkidu, but now I know I can do it.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:03 PM
Objection!

I need to do a few more Sealion clears to build up and then take on Fenrir. My wind team could definitely use that kind of a boost to it.

I also need to get something together to beat up Liquid Flame, because my fire team could also really use the boost.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:10 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I don't understand liquid flame's behavior. I know I can beat him but there's just always something with his turns that I don't understand, even after reading the AI thread on Reddit. I swear one time I made him change forms to tornado, he immediately did Savage Firaga, and then be did another Savage Firaga after only a short delay. It seems like his turn doesn't reset when he changes form, but also that he will do certain forced attacks immediately when he changes forms, but only sometimes???
Old 09-12-2017, 04:24 PM
TARANTUL

I'm trying to get Golem under 30s. This would be easy if my Duped Rinoa OSB - Fujin BSB pulls on that last lucky had been reversed, as is we're clocking in around 45s and the lack of good wind spells is a pain in my ass.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:21 PM
TARANTUL

So this CN fight resists water for the CM, but I'm actually getting some value out of that ancient R4 Shadowsteal I overhoned back when sap was a condition for most fights like a year and a half ago. Edge can still double cast and get blinks from it on the trash.

EDIT: Edward's Level 99 RM is Spoony Bard. Should have seen that coming.

Last edited by Destil; 09-12-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:54 PM

Are they gonna increase our ability slots? I've already spent Mythril increasing my capacity and they keep releasing more abilities! Also it looks like the JP Anniversary banner for 4-6 includes Rosa's USB so I might not pull on this after all. But for once I really wouldn't mind most of the SSBs if I got them as consolation prizes (except for Rubicante's SSB, unless I got his BSB too or something, and even then it's a Fire+ weapon).
Old 09-12-2017, 09:26 PM
TARANTUL

Likely not, I'm at 221/225 and we'll continue to get another ability or two every month for the next 6 months at least.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:28 AM
TARANTUL

I know I've said bad things about Aegis Strike in the past...

Well they're basically all true; Cloud USB is just really, really broken (got 42kx2 on one but I was too slow on the screenshot).
Old 09-13-2017, 01:32 PM

What all do you have stacked there? 3 imperils, enHoly, Cloud Ultra, stoneskin/protect/burst mode?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:57 PM
TARANTUL

P.Cecil has:
~620ish base atk from his RS USB Sword, full record and legend spheres.
Don't remember his base defense, I can check in a few hours after I'm done this daily.
+40% holy damage from sword & platinum shield.
+12% holy damage, +3% sword damage, +6% knight damage from record/legend spheres.
+40% holy damage from his own RM3.
Cloud USB (Auto Crit (50% damage), +30% physical damage).
Wall, Proshellga, Magic Blink.
100% defense, enholy and most of 6k HP stock from his USB.
50% atk from Edward's BSB.
Haste from Rosa.

Shadow Dragon has:
Full Break, Armor Breakdown, a burst atk/def -20% break, Imperil Holy x3

Last edited by Destil; 09-13-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:54 PM

I've almost worked out a strategy to beat Golem by brute forcing it with Terra and Imperil Fires fueled by Thancred's burst and ninja magic for the SB gauge. But the problem is Golem does a crap ton of damage even with 2 healers and I can't make it very long. Savage Earth Shaker + Earth Shaker combo is like 7k damage. I wanted Rosa's Ultra because it's a Wrathable Magic Blink and these Magicite bosses just hit so hard.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:26 PM
Objection!

Sealion is still a little iffy for me, though I can clear it somewhat consistently. Bismarck, on the other hand, is pretty much on farm for me now, and sub-minute clears at that. Ramza and Min keep Shout and Call of the Stars up, while feeding meter to Orlando, who just chains-fires Thunder God for 60~99k a pop, while Eiko and Y'sh keeps everyone up with their bursts.

Now I need to build a party for Liquid Flame, and with those drops Sealion should be a lot more manageable.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:40 PM

I haven't been able to beat anything I don't have an OSB for and I don't know why. I can almost manage a sub-30 clear of Sealion with my Terra alone, I'd just need more fast-cast or instant-cast sources.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:48 PM
TARANTUL

Do you have 2+ character with en-element SBs for any of them?
Old 09-16-2017, 06:03 PM

Well...no. Except for Wind but they're both physical so lol. Also I lied because I have an Ice OSB with Squall but can't quite beat Fenrir either. But that's cause I don't have his enIce SB.

This Fest is gonna be good for me, I should be at 350 Mythril when it starts on top of however much it gives out. Not really worth worrying about the Magicite I can't clear until then.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:36 PM
TARANTUL

Which Wind?
Old 09-16-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Which Wind?
Luneth and Fang. I'm not gonna make Sky High for them and Aerial Dive isn't out yet...
Old 09-18-2017, 04:47 PM
TARANTUL

Holy Fuck I'm going to need more dark orbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddit
Raging Waters, Shadow Embodied
  • Number of hits: 2/3/4 -> 3/5/7 (with Physical Blink 0/1/2)
  • Multiplier per hit: 1.00 -> 0.70
  • Total multiplier: 2.00/3.00/4.00 -> 2.10/3.50/4.90 (with Physical Blink 0/1/2)
Meanwhile Leaping Rush, Guardbringer and Earthbringer all get small buffs to their hit count that make them better at low thresholds (Leaping Rush's new max threshold is its old first threshold) and Demonsblood gets a third hit.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Holy Fuck I'm going to need more dark orbs.
I didn't believe you back several months ago when you were talking about Dark Orbs, but now that I've seen the light of Ninja magic...I need them all. Definitely for the new Dark Ninjutsu too because I've already got Shadow's Burst.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:45 AM

The Fest banners have been datamined and reddit is going nuts because, among other reasons, they added Tiny Bee to Banner 4. For me, they definitely reduced the quality of Banner 2 (Rosa's USB is gone and I have more dupes on it now) but Banner 1 got more attractive to me and 3 is still great. I'm gonna have to look ahead at upcoming events though to see what I might want to save for now...
Old 09-20-2017, 09:47 AM
whatever it takes

They also inexplicably swapped out a number of characters' BSB2s for their old outdated BSB1s. "JP and Global are different games!" Yeah, Global is a worse one.

How's everyone enjoying their one bard mote?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I'm gonna have to look ahead at upcoming events though to see what I might want to save for now...
Hmm, the next-next FF6 event isn't that far away and also has Celes' BSB2 + Terra's USB, which are the ones I really want from Banner 2, so I think I can afford to pull on that one until I get too many dupes instead of chasing those relics. Banner 3 is the big one for me then, not sure how I feel about 4 and 5 still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
How's everyone enjoying their one bard mote?
apology Mythril when?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:34 PM
TARANTUL

Yeah, I don't usually have a problem with the fest banner changes for global, but this was pretty drastic. Removing all the chains and putting so many outdated relics when the original banners were just strong all around. There were honestly only about 4 total relics that weren't great on the originals.

I would have happily done 2-3 pulls on banner 1 if they had just swapped Meia for Desch, and 1-2 if they had replaced the chain with any other 6* from those realms since I have OK's already. Now it's a hard pass.

Banner 4 is pretty decent to get another shot at Rikku USB now, and they pulled off a number of dupes for me so that's nice. A sham about Fran's BSB and the Tiny.

5 they added nothing but dupes. I don't know that I can pull on that anymore.

I think I'm actually a lot more annoyed that they made a "soundtrack" banner and didn't use it as a way to release the SBs we've missed from the soundtrack events like Edward USB.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:04 PM
whatever it takes

I just don't understand the thinking behind these decisions. They seem so arbitrary, but they're always to our detriment. The power disparity between JP and Global continues to widen, but we're expected to tackle the same difficulty in content. Is it to get people to spend more money to try to even the odds?

A single bard mote. I can't get over it!
Old 09-20-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I just don't understand the thinking behind these decisions. They seem so arbitrary, but they're always to our detriment. The power disparity between JP and Global continues to widen, but we're expected to tackle the same difficulty in content. Is it to get people to spend more money to try to even the odds?

DeNA does have access to analytics, so it's possible that JP players spend less money on average than Global, even with all things remaining equal.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:15 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:

Eh, I expect gloabal's average power level to be an order of magnitude higher, because 6 months of foresight is a hell of a weapon.

It doesn't affect whales because it's only the repeat relics that ever get shuffled, they already whaled on them the first time, so the top of the power curve is absolutely higher.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Eh, I expect gloabal's average power level to be an order of magnitude higher, because 6 months of foresight is a hell of a weapon.

It doesn't affect whales because it's only the repeat relics that ever get shuffled, they already whaled on them the first time, so the top of the power curve is absolutely higher.
Yeah, this right here is the big deal. If you keep up with the upcoming stuff in global, your power is crazy higher than anything in JP. I would expect that global saw a lot more early clears of magicite, for example, just because a lot of people were planning all there pulls for the last 6 months around what would help them beat magicite.

Doesn't change the fact that these banner changes are absolutely awful for me. So awful, in fact, that I pulled on the music banner just to try and get Noct's SSB (and succeeded). It was a better pull than a lot of 30A banners are now in terms of helping me clear magicites faster.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:26 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

Dupes per banner for me

Banner 1: 1 (would've been a different dupe without the changes)
Banner 2: 1 (would've been 2)
Banner 3: 2 (would've been 2 different ones)
Banner 4: 1 (would've been 3)
Banner 5: 3 (would've been 2)
Old 09-20-2017, 06:00 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banach View Post
So awful, in fact, that I pulled on the music banner just to try and get Noct's SSB (and succeeded). It was a better pull than a lot of 30A banners are now in terms of helping me clear magicites faster.
Only dupe for me is Luneth's BSB, a +Wind spear (so no harm, no foul).

I'll hold off until after the free/lucky draws, but otherwise I think I'm doing 1-2 pulls on banner 4 and 1 pull there, as well (and Crystal Tower assuming the pick list wasn't nerfed into the ground).
Old 09-20-2017, 06:00 PM

I realized I'm slightly annoyed with Banner 5 changes because it comes with Lightning's Ultra and not her Burst anymore, but all I have for her is Relic materia (double cast lightning abilities), which her Ultra doesn't immediately help with. But I'm also not hurting for lightning damage so it's fine...I think I'm shooting for 1 pull per banner at least, with Banner 3 getting like 2-4 pulls depending on outcomes.

Tags
final fantasy , five dollar horse armor , freemium fantasy , gil toss , lamb meets slaughter , mobile , probability education , square enix , thin edge of the biggs , thin edge of the vicks , thin edge of the wedge