The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-24-2017, 11:00 AM

Yeah, the AVS is also a fine option. I've been very tempted to snag one. (I'd also love the Analogue Nt mini, with its emulation of the various sound chips, but I ain't payin' that much.)

Last edited by Sarge; 04-24-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:32 AM
if-then-eels

Yeah the Nt is appealing for the "full compatibility. no really. everything is compatible. we have fuckin' microphone support" thing but not $400-$500 appealing
Old 04-25-2017, 05:06 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erstwhile Pathos View Post
That would also mean we would get Yoshi's Island, finally.

Yep, I'm on board with that.
Yep.

And I'll be honest, I've wanted Stunt Race FX back in my life for some time now, so that would be good for me.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:48 AM
nothing spacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
Yep.

And I'll be honest, I've wanted Stunt Race FX back in my life for some time now, so that would be good for me.
I have a lot of fond memories of that game also. I'd love to have that again.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I just skimmed back through this thread from the very beginning, and let me tell you, it is a fucking journey. Hard to believe how differently I feel about this now from how I did almost a year ago.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:05 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I just skimmed back through this thread from the very beginning, and let me tell you, it is a fucking journey. Hard to believe how differently I feel about this now from how I did almost a year ago.
From to in 365 days: A True JBear story.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:17 AM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erstwhile Pathos View Post
I have a lot of fond memories of that game also. I'd love to have that again.
Wanna come over and play it?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:30 PM
..and his little cat, too

Yes. Yes I do.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

So... I preordered one of the next runs of RetroUSB's AVS.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Sudden chomper

I know this thread mostly exists for people to complain about not being able to buy one of these things, but I thought I'd take a minute to talk about actually using one.

My NES Classic arrived a little over a month ago, but I've only started using it in earnest now. The biggest problem was the controller cable length, which is just ridiculous. In order to play sitting on my couch, I had to use a 10 foot HDMI cable and plug the console in on the floor next to me. The HDMI, controller cable and power cable were all close to their limits, which turned my living room into a sort of Bermuda triangle where none could enter. Thankfully, solutions to this problem do exist, but since I was ordering them from the US I had to wait until the next time my parents visited to get them (since they are the ones who can easily cross the border to get packages from Amazon.com for me).

There are two ways of dealing with this limitation: extension cords and this Bluetooth adapter. I got one of each, since I didn't know how well they would work and I wanted to be able to play with two people anyway. I haven't actually tried out the controller extension cable yet, but so long as it works I think there won't be much to say about it. But I've played around with the Bluetooth dongle and I think I've found a setup that I like.

I started using it with a NES30 controller, also made by 8ButDo. You can actually buy the adapter and the controller together in a bundle, but I had the controller already (along with the Super Famicom-styled version, which I prefer). There are two problems with that setup, though. First, the NES30 adds buttons to the NES controller, using the SNES-style ABXY setup. That's all well and good for a game that you can reconfigure the controls, but with the dongle they only let you map A to A and B to B. This is annoying, because those buttons are at an angle that feels very unnatural - clearly, it would be better to map B to A and Y to B. The other issue is that the dpad isn't quite as precise as a Nintendo-made controller's would be. You know how, in Ninja Gaiden, you can cancel the spin slash by holding down when you attack? Well I was trying to do that and I messed it up about half the time, it wasn't very satisfying.

But the Bluetooth adapter is compatible with all sorts of controllers, so the other day I decided to try something else instead. I synced up one of my many Wiimotes to the system and found that it was a much more pleasant experience. The buttons are oriented comfortably, the dpad is nice and precise and I've played enough Virtual Console NES games with that particular controller that it feels very natural to me to use it for them. I can't shake the feeling that it's just a hair less responsive than playing those same games on the Wii, but I might just be imagining it. I don't feel much by way of lag (I set my TV to game mode when I use the Classic, but there's still about 25ms of lag, so it's hard to tease the screen lag apart from the controller lag) and I hit my inputs pretty consistently. If I really wanted to be scientific, I would try syncing one of my DualShock 3s up for the sake of comparison, but I'm pretty happy with the Wiimote and I have a whole bunch of them lying around not doing much. So my final recommendation is that people get the Bluetooth adapter, but maybe try out some controllers they already have before splurging on one by 8BitDo. I don't know how the dongle would map the buttons on a DualShock, though, so the Wiimote might really end up being the best option.

Aside from controllers, the other big question is what games you put on your Classic (and how they play). I bought a Switch, but I have no good reason to believe that any of my Wii or 3DS VC games are ever going to be available for me to play on it. In the meantime, by solution was to put every NES game I could want to play on the Classic, and that's what I did. I stuck about 80 games on there using hakchi2, which is close to the maximum that you can add without sorting them into folders. I wanted everything to be in a big buffet-style line, so I tried to keep it under the limit. In theory, the more games you have, the fewer save-states you can keep for each of them, but I haven't run into this limitation yet. One thing I have noticed is that the emulation is far from perfect. Some sounds are off, notably the sound Mega Man makes when he lands on the ground - but only in the later MM games. The system also does some crazy shit when the screen flashes, the colors bleed together in a way that is kinda cool, but not at all authentic. Most of the time it isn't a problem, but if you're fighting a boss whose attacks make the screen flash it gets psychedelic pretty fast.

So it's not perfect, certainly not the way the AVS or Analogue NT would be, but it's also a lot cheaper (even including the price of the Bluetooth adapter). It's a cool little toy and I'm glad to have mine, but there are definitely other options out there that will give you a potentially more faithful experience.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:05 AM
nothing spacial

Good news! Nintendo is doing another run of NES Classics in 2018!

Nintendo likes money after all!
Old 09-12-2017, 05:40 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiers in Rain View Post
Nintendo likes money after all!
I don't know, precedence seems to indicate otherwise
Old 09-12-2017, 06:33 AM

This was readily predictable once they discontinued it earlier in the year, although I wasn't predicting it as soon as 2018.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:35 AM
Random guy

I'm ready to not own one again!
Old 09-12-2017, 12:29 PM

I don't remember where I posted it, but I had a feeling they would revive the system on a yearly or semi-yearly basis. Glad to see they're going to bring it back. The question, of course, is will any games get swapped out?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I don't remember where I posted it, but I had a feeling they would revive the system on a yearly or semi-yearly basis. Glad to see they're going to bring it back. The question, of course, is will any games get swapped out?
And will they make the thing harder to hack.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post
And will they make the thing harder to hack.
That too. I can't imagine that they'd stick with the exact same design, but who knows? They may not care. The average user that would hack their system probably already has been emulating for years and years.

(Ironically, the fact that I have been emulating for so long would probably keep me from bothering hacking it. I've got enough places to play my NES games already.)
Old 09-12-2017, 02:42 PM
concern troll

I really hope they add a second controller and the rewind from the SNES classic.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:07 PM
TARANTUL

The real question is will they actually sell controllers this time...

Or it would be if I couldn't get a SNES classic controller.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:21 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
The real question is will they actually sell controllers this time...

Or it would be if I couldn't get a SNES classic controller.
Oh, good call. I forgot these are all compatible.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:44 AM

Having never seen one in action, do these systems do anything to make the image work on modern tvs?
Old 09-13-2017, 06:46 AM
Yes, let's feast!

They're at least better in that regard than the Virtual Console, yes.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:46 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
Having never seen one in action, do these systems do anything to make the image work on modern tvs?
What do you mean? They're HDMI-required devices. You can select 4:3 for slightly stretched display or pixel perfect (square), similar to what Mega Man Legacy Collection does.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I really hope they add a second controller and the rewind from the SNES classic.
I just want to repeat my recommendation: get the 8bitDo Bluetooth receiver and sync up a Wiimote, it makes a great wireless controller for the NES Classic.

(And since the SNES Classic has the same ports, hopefully I'll be able to use the same receiver for it too, along with the SFC30 controller.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
What do you mean? They're HDMI-required devices. You can select 4:3 for slightly stretched display or pixel perfect (square), similar to what Mega Man Legacy Collection does.
I use the 4:3 option most of the time and it's pretty good. You get a few minor artifacts here and there, but for the most part it isn't noticeable. The pixel perfect option is super crisp, but a little small for my tastes. I know that the Wii U had notoriously bad NES emulation, but the NES Classic does a generally decent job. I'd say it's just a hair worse than what the original Wii put out, but the added convenience of save states makes it better overall.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:40 PM
hidden in snow

Amazon appears to have the Famicom Mini up in their new Retro Store. It's overpriced at $107 shipped, and I don't know if Hakchi works on the Famicom version, but it's in stock. It is being shipped by a third party, but fulfilled by Amazon, so caveat emptor.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:56 PM
TARANTUL

I play almost exclusively docked, but my wife plays almost exclusively undocked.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:48 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Amazon appears to have the Famicom Mini up in their new Retro Store. It's overpriced at $107 shipped, and I don't know if Hakchi works on the Famicom version, but it's in stock. It is being shipped by a third party, but fulfilled by Amazon, so caveat emptor.
Also: tiny controllers with tiny cables that are permanently attached to the console. I'd only pick this one up if you really like the aesthetics of the Famicom. I'm almost 100% certain that it can be hacked, at least.

Tags
8-bitty , a nes for ants?! , fetishism , front-loading dick slot , let's get small , literal slap in the face , nanotendo , nes classic edition , nintendo , nintendo wee , nosmallgia , nostalgia , retro games , smalltendo , so tiny tho , super tamashito luo , supply chain thread , tickle-me-'tendo , tinyness , was this the nx?