The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 01-23-2019, 08:34 PM
Ugh

Default Finishing Time: 2019 Projects and Goals

Like we did in olden days...

I'm working on a weird shmup thing. I'm preeeeeetty sure I can finish it this year so that's my goal.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:02 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Hmmmm. I'm not really in a place right now where I feel like I can promise myself any *big* projects, but...

- I just started putting a dent in my Gunpla backlog. Should continue that in 2019 rather than letting it go again, maybe work my way up to some of the older or more complex ones in the pile.

- It'd be nice to resurrect my Retro Closet blogging project. Probably should figure out somewhere to move it lest tumblr finish imploding completely.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:11 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co
Default Tú ya estás traducido

Consider the following:
  • Do you enjoy/are you a fan of the classic manga Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star?
  • Do you enjoy/are you a fan of ol'-fashioned access-the-menu-for-every-action Dragon Quest-style NES & Famicom JRPGs?
And additionally:
  • Can you read Spanish but not Japanese?

If you answered yes to one of the first two questions and to the last one, then have I got the romhack for you:
Hokuto no Ken 3
Shin Seiki Souzou Seiken Retsuden

The Famicom JRPG that tells the story of the whole original manga, beginning-to-end, is now available in the Castillian Language, as translated by yours truly, and heavily edited to fit into the ROM by my friend.

Although this is obviously a cash-grab licensed game, made clear by the amount of mistakes the script has (that hopefully our translation fixed while probably introducing new ones ) and the wonky front facing animation of the protagonist (you know, just the one that you'll be seeing most of the freaking time), it is still worth mentioning due to the aforementioned fact of it packing in the (heavily edited and simplified, of c) whole original story, its pretty well made and faithful post-apocalyptic ambience and specially its big battle sprites, with the faces getting deformed as in the original manga when receiving hits.
And the translation itself is remarkable as the game is currently not available in English, neither in an official capacity nor fantranslated - Usually, fantranslations of Japanese games into non-English languages are made from available English translations, not the original. So there's that.

I figure mostly due to the language barrier this won't have much of an audience here, but hey, I'm pretty proud of the thing and thought it was worth sharing.

Que lo disfruten, si se deciden a probarlo!

Sad Trivia: Nowhere at all in the game is the phrase "You are already dead" uttered. (nani?!)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:22 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

¡gracias!

Spanish isn't my thing, but I'm over here being impressed as hell anyways. What were you planning to use for omae wa mou shindeiru?
Old 02-17-2019, 11:11 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

That is rad, Sensenic.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:10 AM
I Believe In You

I almost want to learn Spanish just for this.

Senor: Your Spanish is amazing! How did you become so fluent?
Me: Well, there was this Fist of the North Star game...
Senor: I just remembered, I have to run screaming out of the room. Bye!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-19-2019, 01:57 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Thanks for your feedback, y'all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
Spanish isn't my thing, but I'm over here being impressed as hell anyways. What were you planning to use for omae wa mou shindeiru?
That's easy: "Tú ya estás muerto." (or "muerta" but Kenshiro is a gentleman apparently and kills only dudes, so).
The subject "tú" could be omitted if necessary for space, but I think it is important for emphasis here (as in: I now pay attention to others because you etc.).

See also: original post title. ;p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijhazer View Post
I almost want to learn Spanish just for this.

Senor: Your Spanish is amazing! How did you become so fluent?
Me: Well, there was this Fist of the North Star game...
Senor: I just remembered, I have to run screaming out of the room. Bye!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wow, I'm flattered.
That would be one awkward conversation, yes. XD

I would advise not to try to learn Spanish by playing this, though. Due to the space constraints many phrases and expressions are heavily abbreviated and the language may come off as, well, "off" or rude at some points.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:39 PM
ドラキュラの様な奴

Pronouns: He/Him

Seriously, that's a great project sensenic. Bravo.

As for me, I began writing a sci-fi novel in September or so of last year, and I'm about 30,000 words in. The idea is to have a rough draft done hopefully within a year of starting, and I'm in pretty good shape, I think. Here's hopin'!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:12 AM
Bob

I have a lot of potential projects on the backburner, but I suppose I want to make a few of them more concrete, so here we go:
  • I've just started learning guitar. Although it's not my first time learning an instrument or music in general, I haven't sung since the end of high school and stopped learning piano around middle school. No experience with fretted instruments at all. I'm hoping to be able to competently play a few songs, start to be more comfortable with fingerstyle so I can move into mandolin and banjo.
  • I'm also still working on my Physics PhD, so a good goal by the end of the year is to have two manuscripts (papers) ready to publish or at least up for revisions. Gotta push myself hard to get that done.
  • I'm creating a city for use in a Blades in the Dark campaign. I hope to have most of the world well set up by the end of the year.
  • Lastly, I want to get myself involved in some science policy and communication efforts. I'm thinking of applying to the AAAS Fellowship to get myself into DC and some experience in a lawmaker's office, and in order to get that I need to get some experience while I'm still in Chicago.