The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-20-2014, 01:27 PM

Shining Force party strategy in one sentence:
The battle at the Urantanbol Docks (Battle 14 vs Balbazak) is where you should promote everyone that isn't promoted already. (Basically, anyone who isn't promoting at 10-12 or so).

If your plan is to promote someone at higher levels then Balbazak is the optimum place to grind since all the factors are in your favor here (the closeness of enemies, the time the battle occurs, still having usable pre-promote equipment). The alternative of leveling naturally to level 20 just leaves you not that much better off if you don't grind somewhere. That is, if you want to see the fruits of a level 20 investment, you'll just end up grinding in the final chapter anyway so that your promoted level is closer to what it would have been.

Promoting at level 20 is going to make the game easier. Not terribly bad mind you, but consider that promoting some or all your characters at level 15 still makes things easier with less of a tradeoff in terms of patience and fun. Promoting at 10 makes everything a lot more interesting, but then the final few battles can be tough if you refuse to egress and refight some battles somewhere. Even when I want to do a playthrough with lowball promotions I usually go with level 12 or 13, because there's hardly a need to promote right away.

If you want to consider the question of promoting at 10 vs 15 vs 20, then the answer depends on the character. Some characters benefit a lot more from the last 5 levels, so you should go for 18-20 depending on your patience. Most everyone else has either linear gains from 10-20 or more of their gains are from 10-15, so you probably should stop at 15. Pelle doesn't get good gains at all from all those 10 levels, so he's great in lowball games and bad in highball games.

I have some notes on this matter (based on the Genesis version). For some characters I just list my opinion of what levels are important to promote at based on the bonuses to all stats they get. Others I break down how much extra attack you'll get for extra levels.

Zylo: 15-20 important
Bleu: more levels overall important

Mae: 15-20 important
Ken: 10-20 is +6 attack, linear
Pelle: 10-20 unimportant
Earnest: a medicore Pelle at 10, a medicore Ken at 20
Vankar: ?

Kokichi: 10-20 is +5 attack, with 15-20 being all of that +5
Guntz: 10-20 is +7 attack, linear
Balbaroy: 10-20 is +5 attack, with 15-20 being +4

Luke: 10-20 is +7 attack, with 10-15 being +4
Gort: 10-20 is +9 attack, linear
Max: 10-20 is +8 attack, with 15-20 being +5

For healers, I would either promote at 10 or level up a bit at Balbazak and promote at like 12. Even then it is not so clear, because they are going to be so behind compared to everyone else even if you try to save those 5 hp enemies for them to kill. So maybe its better to promote right away and start working on the promoted levels earlier.

Mages learn spells based on how many levels they've gained. In Shining Force 1 at least, promoting is like adding one level; it doesn't erase the partial progress you've made to the next spell by leveling past 10.

Last edited by dosboot; 04-20-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

Based on that, I'm probably going to get most of the Force up to 20, especially Zylo and Max. I need to level my mages though. I'm not sure who Bleu, Kokichi, or Guntz are, so either I missed them or don't have access to them yet. I don't want to use Pelle, he's only at level 8 now and I don't feel like grinding him up.

I suppose I should detail my party:

Max - Level 12
Ken - 11
Tao - 10
Hans - 10
Luke - 10
Khris - 9
Mae - 12
Gort - 11
Gong - 11
Lowe - 9
Anri - 8 (!)
Zylo - 12

I haven't leveled in a while, and I have more sub level 10 guys than I thought.

I'm at the battle against Elliot now - how many battles until Uranbatol?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:45 PM

There's one battle after Elliot before Balbazak.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Banned

I usually already promote my characters at level 10 on the battle before the Laser Eye. A promoted level 1 character is incredibly weak, but two to three level ups and he will be overwhelmingly powerful. The little stat bonus for going level 20 is minor compared to that. The hardest part is to get from level 1 to level 2 because most of your characters can't do more than 1 or 2 HP damage on level 1 promoted. So it might be a good idea to not promote everyone at once.

Also how did you manage to keep Anri so low level? My mages are always highest level once they get their first AoE magic.

Also, interesting party setup! You kept Hans and Ken. =D
Old 04-20-2014, 01:58 PM

I forgot to mention that my notes are specific to the Genesis version. In the GBA version characters generally have changes in their growth curves. I imagine that in most cases the trends of promoting an individual character early vs late is similiar though, but those numbers are less reliable.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Brain Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
I usually already promote my characters at level 10 on the battle before the Laser Eye. A promoted level 1 character is incredibly weak, but two to three level ups and he will be overwhelmingly powerful. The little stat bonus for going level 20 is minor compared to that. The hardest part is to get from level 1 to level 2 because most of your characters can't do more than 1 or 2 HP damage on level 1 promoted. So it might be a good idea to not promote everyone at once.
Noted. Given this, I'll probably level my guys until I get annoyed with it. I definitely need to level up my mages though:

Quote:
Also how did you manage to keep Anri so low level? My mages are always highest level once they get their first AoE magic.
It certainly wasn't my intent! I've tried to win the battles before the turn quota every round besides when you win gold (because who cares, I can get that stuff easy) to get the cool weapons (I'm worried some of them are one-chance only, so I don't want to miss anything). I've found that all the other characters can reach enemies faster than Anri/Tao, so that's why they're as leveled up as they are. At least, I think so.

Quote:
Also, interesting party setup! You kept Hans and Ken. =D
Haha yeah. Hans sure doesn't have much in the way of attack power, does he? I figured I should keep a mix of ranged and melee units, and apparently arrows are more accurate against flying enemies? I think? I'm thinking about dropping him, though, if his attack power doesn't start going up a little bit.

As for Ken, maybe I've gotten lucky with level ups, because he is a beast. He does a TON of damage for me... I also love having a centaur or two, since they have so much MOV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
I forgot to mention that my notes are specific to the Genesis version. In the GBA version characters generally have changes in their growth curves. I imagine that in most cases the trends of promoting an individual character early vs late is similiar though, but those numbers are less reliable.
I appreciate it, dosboot. I'm going to treat your info as though it were about the GBA version, because I'm sure it's somewhat similar. And I still intend on leveling Zylo to 20, at the very least
Old 04-20-2014, 05:25 PM
a trap devisut by satan

Yeah, I'm playing through for the first time (up against Elliot right now) and for me Ken is like a ranged Zylo with 30 HP. Even my hero pales in comparison to those two (and Gort, kind of).
Old 04-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Brain Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocobob View Post
Yeah, I'm playing through for the first time (up against Elliot right now) and for me Ken is like a ranged Zylo with 30 HP. Even my hero pales in comparison to those two (and Gort, kind of).
GBA or Genesis?

Also, wow, I'm having trouble with the Elliot fight (beating it in ten turns, anyway). The waves of like four enemies at a time can be overwhelming. Playing it slow and letting them come to me works pretty well and mitigates a lot of damage, but then I go over on turns.

Two very well designed fights in a row, though. Go SF1!

EDIT: Was able to beat it in ten turns. Still lost Mae and Gort during the fight, though. Gort because I'm dumb, but Mae because one of the Silver Knights got two attacks in one round again.

Last edited by Kazin; 04-20-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:45 PM
Banned

I'm honestly not sure about the GBA version's growth, but in the Genesis version Ken gains LOTS of HP but just average ATK and hardly any DEF. Mae gets hardly any HP until promoted, but she gets slightly more ATK and significantly more DEF than Ken. After promotion it changes quite a bit, Kens gets more ATK and DEF and Mae instead slowly catches up on HP with Ken. Never really bothered with the other centaurs too much. Except Arthur I guess who is weak in all stats but gains some MP and weaker spells after a while. I think that after promotion all centaurs gain similar stats actually, so the weak ones are able to keep up at the end.

As for Archers, Hans has the lowest ATK, he has more DEF than all the other archers, though and I think his AGI is also highest. I never promoted him so I don't know how he evolves after that Diane has a bit more HP and ATK but less DEF and AGI if I remember correctly, I always chose her over Hans though because the 1-2 extra damage is quite important at that point. Lyle, the final archer that joins is just pure ATK, he hardly gets HP, DEF or AGI. His damage is highest of all archers, but he is also one of the only characters that still takes a lot more than 1 HP damage towards the end from physical attacks.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:14 AM
Meal break

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
How's the iOS port?
I played it a couple years ago and loved it. As far as I could tell it's just a mega drive emulator with the rom, so you're using virtual d-pad and buttons. It's not a game that needs precision on the d-pad anyway, and for me it works better than finicky direct touch controls. I think it has automatic saving and resuming through the emulator, as well as the in game save.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 AM
Brain Genius

Quote:
I'm honestly not sure about the GBA version's growth, but in the Genesis version Ken gains LOTS of HP but just average ATK and hardly any DEF. Mae gets hardly any HP until promoted, but she gets slightly more ATK and significantly more DEF than Ken. After promotion it changes quite a bit, Kens gets more ATK and DEF and Mae instead slowly catches up on HP with Ken.
I forgot, I either won or purchased a ring that increases ATK and had put it on Ken, so that probably explains his somewhat higher than usual offensive power. Though it only boosts ATK by like 4, I think, so yeah.

Quote:
As for Archers, Hans has the lowest ATK, he has more DEF than all the other archers, though and I think his AGI is also highest. I never promoted him so I don't know how he evolves after that Diane has a bit more HP and ATK but less DEF and AGI if I remember correctly, I always chose her over Hans though because the 1-2 extra damage is quite important at that point. Lyle, the final archer that joins is just pure ATK, he hardly gets HP, DEF or AGI. His damage is highest of all archers, but he is also one of the only characters that still takes a lot more than 1 HP damage towards the end from physical attacks.
So now that I have access to Narshe and the other "new" characters (honestly never made it this far in the Genesis version, so I'm not sure who's available there and who isn't), I took Hans out and put Narshe in. She has a spell that allows you to temporarily increase a character's MOV! I'm sure this breaks the game wide open, but I can't resist something like that. The level 2 version of the spell increases MOV by 3 (though it does cost like a million MP to cast)!

Also, she has Boost, so just like that one Vicar in SF2, I'll be able to keep her at tip top level really easily.

Speaking of which, I did some grinding on the battle after Elliot, so all my characters are now level 13 or higher (I promoted Lowe and Khris, though, so they're at level 3 and 2 respectively). Starting to get pretty diminishing returns on experience, though.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 PM

Some thoughts on the Shining Force: Sword of Hajya (aka the Game Gear one that came to the US, aka Shining Force Gaiden 2) that I took a shine to revisiting:

It's weirdly easy compared to the console games, which is par for the course for all 3 GG games if my memory is accurate. Critical hits seem to occur A LOT. One consequence you might not expect is how this can deflate the satisfaction you'd normally feel when you organize two or three units to focus on a single guy (you will land 1-2 normal blows to soften him up and then the finishing blow is critical, completely negating the need to lower his hp in the first place.)

I've somehow forgotten how Freeze 3 is bonkers in this game, dealing up to 50 damage. So using your own Freeze 3 feels like cheating, and working around an enemy Mage with Freeze 3 takes priority over everything else. I'm reading that in the remake (Shining Force CD) they made Freeze 3 normal again, and there are claims the original has a bug where it the CPU is reading Freeze 4's damage value.

They also upped the area of effect for Blaze 3 so it becomes a 3 square radius (the damage isn't bugged though, thank goodness). You encounter three Blaze 3 mages frighteningly early, which seems like a deliberate shock tactic because this is followed by half the game where you only see Freeze 1/2 and Blaze 1/2 until Freeze 3 shows up towards the end. This reminds me of how Freeze 3 was sprung against the player in Shining Force 1 very early in the Circus battle, but then the game went back to weaker spells for a great while until (I think) the special battle versus Mishaela.

As one who pays so much attention to battle-to-battle variation, this game does have its own bag of minor battle gimmicks and unique battlefield locations which is nice. They have a cliffside battle where you climb up vines and a volcanic battle where the rocky land bridges sink into the lava. There are several battles that are variations on having enemies appear mid battle. And there's a reprisal of the Laser Eye battle too. At one point your party is separated, and each half of your Force fights several battles (garnering their own new recruits along the way) before regrouping.

I feel the easy difficulty is sadly holding back what would have been a much better game. This isn't for the obvious reason (i.e. turning up my nose up at easy games or something), but because the game can't offer the player interesting enemy variation when they are just so consistently powerful. The game sorely lacks the sensation of phasing in new tougher enemies in while old ones are phased out. When a new enemy type shows up, even if it has unique features to it, they start off as such a low threat that it doesn't feel new. It also makes your Force members feels less varied. Archers deal great damage in this game, but the cost in defense is irrelevant. I found no reason not to march my archers to the very front so they could tank hits and block movement into my back line of mages.

The game also doesn't really have party members that are clear clunkers and champions to the extent the console games would. As a result, whatever differences the various fighter classes have doesn't feel so important, especially with the easy difficulty.

Consider this criticism contemplative rather than dismissive. There's is an odd enjoyment to its breezy nature which kept me slowly playing bit by bit until the end.

Last edited by dosboot; 04-21-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:45 PM
Brain Genius

So I had Sword of Hajya as a kid and while I liked it, I never have beat it. I beat the first Shining Force Gaiden as a part of Shining Force CD and I agree, that one is really easy.

I really don't like the party split, though. It comes pretty early in the game and is an excuse for the player to use all the different units they acquire rather than bench them immediately (as I do quite often in SF1 and 2), but I wish the game allowed the player to pick who goes where or something. Sure, it wouldn't make much sense narratively, but I sure would like it better if I could have this mage over there and that mage over there.

Blaze 3/Freeze 3 have always terrified me, though. When the Marionette hit me with Freeze 3 in SF1 GBA, it killed whomever it hit, but barely, and they already had lost some HP anyway. I remember being relieved because those spells are single target in SF1 GBA, when I'm used to them having a huge range and hitting like seven people at once if I've placed my guys poorly.

One thing that is weird to me about the Genesis/Game Gear era Shining games are the various characters who share names. The GG ones in particular have several characters who I don't think are the same characters as in SF1 and 2, but maybe they are, because reasons? Like I'm pretty sure Luke is in both games, but I have no idea if he's the same guy as in 1. Isn't Ken in Hajya too? It's admittedly been a while, and I have never beat SF1 to see what happens to all these people, so maybe there's some fanservice there I'm unaware of.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:24 PM

Yeah, I beat Hajya as part of Shining Force CD. Not a legit copy, sadly. Fun game, and thankfully I had the RAM cart. I really wish the third game had been localized, but it does have a fan translation, and I need to give it another go again.

I also remember the museum battle against all the bosses that I never could complete in SFCD. I think it's because all my guys were underleveled. Although I don't remember if those levels were fixed, or if they depended on your finish state in the main game. Either way, it was tough.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Penalty for being bard

Pronouns: He/Him

Oh hey, people who have played Sword of Hayja.

What the hell does "SBRN" stand for? This question has literally gnawed at my consciousness for twenty years.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 PM
Brain Genius

Sage Baron!

...apparently it's likely an error according to whatever wiki I was just looking at.

Wasn't there a few of those, though? Like class abbreviations that make no sense over all the games?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:32 AM
Banned

That Freeze 3 damage bug really ruined the Game Gear game for me. It's not fun when a single generic enemy mage can instant kill on AoE. How can you even say the game is easy? It's the only one I never managed to beat. I guess it would be easy if it wasn't for the Freeze 3 bug, though.

I really would love to play Shining Force CD and Shining Force 3 but I have no means to play it. =/

Honestly Shining Force for me has the best gameplay of all SRPGs and I really wish there would be MORE MORE MORE games of exactly this style. I'd pay $60 for that easy. I'd even go so far and develop these games myself if there was a Shining Force game maker (as in gameplay stands but you still create all the maps, heroes, growth tables, enemies and maybe some way to code the movement AI) just to be able to play more of them.

It's really hard for me to enjoy other SRPGs because they are always lacking something.

Shining Force has quite many things that seem to be important to me in an SRPG:
- "exciting" character growth individual for each character
- you can explore the world outside combat
- secrets all over the place
- ability to escape a battle and keep exp for next try
- ability to resurrect fallen heroes
- showing combat execution in a separate screen
- characters get selected automatically depending on agility (-> fast paced)
- no annoying puzzles during combat
Old 04-22-2014, 06:30 AM

@Rya: Yeah, I mean excluding Freeze 3 shenanigans the game is easy. And even then I'm really trying to make an observation more about the damage/health statistics than the ease of play.

@BuckTwenty:
I don't think 'Luke' is the same guy in SF1 and Sword of Hajya. SF:Gaiden 1 did have cameo NPCs from SF1 though: Anri, Ken, Lowe.

Basically, the way I understand SF continuity is that SF1, and SF Gaiden 1+2 are the 'closely related games'. SF Gaiden 1 occurs 20 years after SF1, and Gaiden 2 shortly thereafter. All these games were released before SF2 and Final Conflict. The SF1 cameo characters are all portrayed as achieving high status by this time (Anri is queen, Ken is the leader of the knights, Lowe is chancellor). Luke is the only recycled named that doesn't look like a cameo, because he is now a monk, not a warrior, and moreover he is treated as a complete rookie along with the rest of your party.

Nick, Gyan and Claude span both of the Gaiden games, but it's pretty obvious in their cases because they are all playable characters who look and act as if nothing has changed since the last game.

The number of recycled names in the SF series is enormous. I read that this is due to North America getting a lazy English translation of SF2 (its something like there are no recycled names in the Japanese series except for two unrelated Sarah's). SF2 and Final Conflict share a related storyline, but it's pretty separate from SF1 and occurs long after those games.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 AM

Honestly, I find Shining Force 1's battles to be a bit slow, but they're fun. It would speed things up if they had counter-attacks (where possible) like in Fire Emblem, but it would also make the difficulty jump up dramatically, so I don't mind it. I just wish I knew how/why you can sometimes get multiple attacks in a single "round" (picking the attack command on something) because that seems pretty random.

I don't have any real problem with things like the enemies making formations and sticking with them so long as you don't get too close. That's pretty common in FE games, too, so I don't feel like it's that odd. It's an inherent mechanic of both series that helps players have time to think/punishes players who just rush in.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:04 AM

I don't think double attacks are influenced by speed differences or anything, it is just a straight chance like criticals.

Speaking of criticals, every character has their own hidden critical stat that grows slowly with level. I don't know about doubles.

I only have data on SF1: everyone starts with 2-3% chance. Centaurs get the short end of the of the stick and tend to grow only to a 4% chance at level 20 unpromoted. Other characters get about twice as much, growing into 7-8% at level 20. Hanzou maxes out at 13% unpromoted, and Mushashi at 25%!

When you promote, what happens to criticals is the same as all other stats: the game "derandomizes" the random growth your character was afflicted with, and then you keep 85% of each stat. Unfortunately, critical growth is very low for promoted levels. Everyone starts out gaining no percentage points for quite a number of levels, and growth is lower overall. Gong is the big outlier here. If you can get a promoted Gong to levels 15-20 his critical rate will become 13-23%.

Last edited by dosboot; 04-22-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Brain Genius

Quote:
That Freeze 3 damage bug really ruined the Game Gear game for me. It's not fun when a single generic enemy mage can instant kill on AoE. How can you even say the game is easy? It's the only one I never managed to beat. I guess it would be easy if it wasn't for the Freeze 3 bug, though.

I really would love to play Shining Force CD and Shining Force 3 but I have no means to play it. =/
I think you need to pick up a Saturn and SF3, then. From what I've played of it, it really is more awesome SF gameplay. I'm not sure how it holds up as a whole to SF1, 2, or CD, but it is pretty good. You should be able to find a Saturn for maybe, oh, $50? The game itself goes anywhere from $60-$100 on eBay. I think it's a pretty safe investment for you, though, considering how much you seem to love the series.

Quote:
@BuckTwenty:
I don't think 'Luke' is the same guy in SF1 and Sword of Hajya. SF:Gaiden 1 did have cameo NPCs from SF1 though: Anri, Ken, Lowe.

Basically, the way I understand SF continuity is that SF1, and SF Gaiden 1+2 are the 'closely related games'. SF Gaiden 1 occurs 20 years after SF1, and Gaiden 2 shortly thereafter. All these games were released before SF2 and Final Conflict. The SF1 cameo characters are all portrayed as achieving high status by this time (Anri is queen, Ken is the leader of the knights, Lowe is chancellor). Luke is the only recycled named that doesn't look like a cameo, because he is now a monk, not a warrior, and moreover he is treated as a complete rookie along with the rest of your party.

Nick, Gyan and Claude span both of the Gaiden games, but it's pretty obvious in their cases because they are all playable characters who look and act as if nothing has changed since the last game.

The number of recycled names in the SF series is enormous. I read that this is due to North America getting a lazy English translation of SF2 (its something like there are no recycled names in the Japanese series except for two unrelated Sarah's). SF2 and Final Conflict share a related storyline, but it's pretty separate from SF1 and occurs long after those games.
Thank you for this. I always thought it was weird as a kid playing Hajya after II and noticing a similar name or two. Add that to playing a little of SF1 over the years and I'm like "are these all the same people? Why do they suck/not seem to remember or acknowledge all the crap that already happened?"

Quote:
I don't think double attacks are influenced by speed differences or anything, it is just a straight chance like criticals.
I kind of hate double attacks. I mean, they're kind of like criticals in that you get more damage done to your guy, but it usually just screws me over.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:09 AM
Banned

Me getting a Saturn is quite unlikely. My current TV can only handle current generation consoles because the TV format was globalized and older consoles can't be displayed properly on new TVs. It bothered me too much, I didn't even play the PS2 games anymore. Also I already don't like buying stuff on the internet but buying actual consoles and used... =/

No, I can only hope for a re-release or someone who is a big fan just like me making a game like it. The latter being more likely.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Brain Genius

Aw, that's too bad. I've never bought a used console online either, so I understand your hesitation there.

I hear Saturn emulation isn't bad these days, so maybe you could go that route? I know Shining Force CD worked perfectly on KGen or whatever I had when I first played it, so you could play that at least if you have access to a computer or something.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:07 AM

Sega CD emulation is rock-solid. You could definitely play via Kega Fusion or something similar.

As for Saturn, it's pretty decent as well if you use SSF. Only problem is that there's an instrument that's off-pitch that screws up the music a little bit in most Camelot games. You may be able to survive it, though.

Surprised on the TV, though. Of course, I'm running an older Sony Bravia, and older consoles look absolutely beautiful on there. It's almost like running in an emulator, even with just a S-Video hookup.

That being said, Saturns are relatively cheap these days. I modded mine back when I bought it around 10 years ago, and that's how I had access to Shining Force III. Yeah, I know, I'm a dirty pirate. If Sega would just re-release on a modern platform, I'd throw my money at them. As it is, the aftermarket prices are kinda killer.

(It should also be noted that folks are working on translated Scenario 2 and 3, and they're probably in a mostly playable format as of now.)

http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/)
Old 04-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Banned

Last time I tried to get Mega CD emulators to work I just couldn't manage to do it. It isn't as easy as SNES emulation where you just select "load" and then the ROM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Last time I tried to get Mega CD emulators to work I just couldn't manage to do it. It isn't as easy as SNES emulation where you just select "load" and then the ROM.
It's not too hard now. Just make sure you've got the BIOS ROMs (you can set up the links to wherever you have them in the Config menu), and you can directly load a ISO, BIN, or CUE file from the file menu as well (Load Sega CD Image).

If you try the Saturn bit, you'll have to run through similar steps to set up the BIOS in SSF, too.

It was a little trickier back in the day, you usually had to set up some sort of virtual drive software. I still kinda prefer that method, but it's not the only option anymore.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
To be fair, SNES and GBA are probably the only two systems you can even do that with. I think even NES requires a bit of fiddling with. In other words, you're using "super ez noob" as the baseline.

Most of the time, the most-used emulator for a system has a community around it, so you can probably find a forum that'll help you get everything set up (except for the ROM itself).
Old 04-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Brain Genius

Yeah, if I could figure out how to run a Sega CD game, I know you can.

It's worth giving it another go, if you can, though. Just think - there are a couple Shining Force games out there you haven't played yet
Old 04-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Banned

Yeah SNES and GBA were the only emulators I got to run too.

Well, except I got PCSX2 to run lately (to use the English translation of PS Generations), but man that was already quite tedious.

I just don't get why people can't develop emulators so that they are easy to use. If a human can do all these 10 steps to set up the emulator then a human can also code a button that does all 10 steps automatically.

But yeah I might give it another try.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

They don't include the BIOS files to not run astray of various kinds of copyright laws, as they're proprietary software to the relevant companies and not intended for public distribution (in raw form). It is, however, legal to back up said software and retain it on your computer for archival purposes.

Tags
shining force , zylo'd