The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 03-06-2018, 03:36 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I don't think we'll ever see reprints of Banana Fish, Pixie Junket, Mai the Psychic Girl, or Crying Freeman.

Sure wish they'd re-acquire the rights to Maison Ikkoku and UY :/
I'd be surprised if someone doesn't give Banana Fish the omnibus treatment in the next few years, especially with the upcoming anime. You can still grab the old Mai perfect collections pretty cheaply and easily, which I believe comprise the whole series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
If we're adding their PULP imprint to the mix then the only strategy that makes any sense is "Carl Horn brings over whatever he wants."

For my part I prefer Benkei in New York.
I'm kinda surprised that, given all the stodgy old white dudes in American comics fandom, that Airport bookstore-ready Dad-manga like Benkei never found a foothold here.

I'm also a big fan of the PULP-era stuff. Ads for the various PULP titles at the time really twisted my brain around, especially at a young, impressionable age when I was still trying to figure out what the fuck Dragonball was. Viz was definitely hip to the times. I recently picked up an old issue of [Hisashi Eguchi's attempt at a Garo-successor, the hip-in-the-90s] Comic CUE, and was surprised to find that it contained a story that Viz would later publish in Secret Comics Japan. I believe Viz also published some of Usamaru Furuya's short stuff from Comic CUE.

Last edited by ghosttaster; 03-06-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:17 AM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Quote:
Sure wish they'd re-acquire the rights to Maison Ikkoku and UY :/
I'm glad to have collected the unflopped fifteen-volume VIZ MI volumes as they were coming out ten or fifteen years ago. My understanding is that it was one editor's pet project (in this case, Ledoux') that might not have seen light of NA day otherwise, even in the truncated form we got it at first.*

*The ronin chapters were essential; the deserted island and skating rink chapters, not so much...

UY manga I doubt we'll see again in any form, but I've been wrong before!

I remember PULP for Banana Fish which I liked much less than I had hoped, but nothing else.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Really also true in the post-boom era, it's just that the random oddities they put out because someone sufficiently high up at Shogakukan said they had to became less noticeable in the heaps of manga on the big-box bookstore racks.
Makes sense, as each release shifted the marginal character of the pool of available titles less and less. As opposed to when Manga Vizion was basically it on the shelves.

When the hell did Previews start carrying Hobby Japan, anyway? That was a weird one.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:12 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Newtype, Megami, and Hobby Japan have been fixtures in the back of the Previews mag section for ages. They cost a fucking bomb, like $20+ an issue. I doubt they sell much in an era when most weebs have downloaded scans ages before they hit American comic shops.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Newtype, Megami, and Hobby Japan have been fixtures in the back of the Previews mag section for ages. They cost a fucking bomb, like $20+ an issue. I doubt they sell much in an era when most weebs have downloaded scans ages before they hit American comic shops.
Back in the latter Clinton years I used to grab Hobby Japan every month or two. Scratched the weeb itch and the old Warhammer itch - deadly combo.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:03 PM
Find Your Reason

I forget if it's been mentioned on this thread yet, but if it has, then this is your reminder that Delicious In Dungeon is really, really amazing.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
I forget if it's been mentioned on this thread yet, but if it has, then this is your reminder that Delicious In Dungeon is really, really amazing.
It sure is!

(Man, I want that artbook now)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:06 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

I've never bitten every previous time this has come up, but that Twitter thread has me convinced. Added to the queue!
Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 AM
The metal babble flees!

Sometimes all it takes is a taste.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:48 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I've never bitten every previous time this has come up, but that Twitter thread has me convinced. Added to the queue!
Minovsky Article evangelized me into DiD as well, and their "Bless this gay elf" makes me laff every time I read it, it's so endearing. I really wish I had known of the fanbook/cookbook when it was still available, though The in-manga recipes look delicious if you could substitute for the closest possible approximations.

Also: goddammit Laios is insane but I like that, beyond the whole monster-eating thing, he shows his excellent leadership through action without the manga explicitly making a point of it, and he's also a Good Big Brother. He's not a Joke Delivery System, he has the depth necessary to show why smart people like Marcille and Chilchuck stuck with him when he decided to go back for Falin despite being flat broke.

Speaking of Marcille, as of the latest volume: bless this gay elf.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:39 PM
poisonous thread snake

I recently mopped up and put together a run of the first 4 issues of an old alt manga mag called Comic CUE edited by Hisashi Eguchi, a former Jump editor known for his classy graphix (not to mention ever-cool queer/gender classic Stop!! Hibari-kun)

It was pretty hip for the time and includes shorts from some known quantities at the time- King Terry, Taiyo Matsumoto, Usamaru Furuya, Iou Kuroda, etc. The thing that really amuses me about them, and the reason I'm posting at all, is that each issue includes what I presume are short little blurbs about recent tankobon- mostly alt kinda stuff. However, most of the issues include a review of a then-recent Yu Yu Hakusho volume, which really cracks me up. Was YYH the JP-hipster's shonen fight comic of choice in the 90s?

...I guess it's really not that surprising.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:02 PM
:tweet:

Anybody here check out the latest chapter of Berserk? :sob:
I gotta say though, Casca's dress is pretty *_*
Old 03-21-2018, 05:56 PM
Phantastic Oil

I got all caught up on Space Brothers tonight after ignoring it for like a year and man, I forgot how much I like this series! It feels like we're nearing the end of an arc, so I hope another season of it gets animated at some point. There's definitely enough material here.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:22 PM

Just finished Moto Hagio's Otherworld Barbara, which is a real trip. There's kind of a lot going on in there, it's a little Tezukaish in how kitchen-sinky the plot and tone get, but it somehow doesn't feel disjointed even though it has a psychic dream-seer going into the imaginary world of a comatose girl generating poltergeist phenomena AND the seer trying to emotionally reconnect with his estranged son AND a plotline about cutting-edge anti-aging treatments and cloning AND there's some pseudo-Dianetics thing going on with the ancestral memories of Martian unicellular life manifesting in certain people on Earth? The ending is also surprisingly emotionally affecting despite being just as batshit as the above; I was not expecting the father-son conflict to be resolved with the latter being accidentally annihilated via dreamscape time alterations because Dad was imprecise with his plea for his son to be saved because he refused to believe the son he knew was secretly switched with a nearly identical half-brother at age three due to an fatal allergic reaction to shrimp at preschool. And now in the new timeline Dad is trying to be a good dad to the bio-son who remembers him, while his heart is quietly breaking for his other son.

I promise that this reads far less berserkly than it does in summary, which is actually quite the achievement...
Old 03-21-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
Anybody here check out the latest chapter of Berserk? :sob:
I gotta say though, Casca's dress is pretty *_*
I did, and it feels like an especially cruel place for the author to quit again and go on indefinite hiatus once more.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:50 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGuffin View Post
it has a psychic dream-seer going into the imaginary world of a comatose girl generating poltergeist phenomena AND the seer trying to emotionally reconnect with his estranged son AND a plotline about cutting-edge anti-aging treatments and cloning AND there's some pseudo-Dianetics thing going on with the ancestral memories of Martian unicellular life manifesting in certain people on Earth?
this, this here, this is my shit. this is why moto hagio is my shit.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:54 PM
poisonous thread snake

Been catching up on Hunter X Hunter recently. I burned out on the Chimera Ant stuff many years ago but the Dark Continent has got me reinvested. The entire known world so far has just been in the middle of a giant lake within a massive supercontinent filled with terrible monsters and strange humans!! So fucking cool.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:36 PM

I picked up the manga for In This Corner of the World. It's a beast. The whole story is thrown into one extra thicc volume. It's approximately 3 volumes in one. Such thick binding makes the pages a little hard to read, but so far it's a delightful comic.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:01 PM
Phantastic Oil

Wait, is Hunter X Hunter no longer on hiatus?
Old 03-22-2018, 04:07 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

It depends on how healthy Togashi is at the moment, I believe.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:08 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

Things I read during my away time:

The After Hours, Volume 1: an unemployed young woman gets stood up by her friend at a club and ends up hooking up with a DJ who teaches her about music (and ~love~). Super great to see a yuri manga starring actual adults even if they're still kinda moe.
Assassination Classroom Volumes 16-20: you know what this is and it's dope as heck (except for its understated but consistent treatment of its female characters as being less capable than their male peers).
Bloom Into You Volume 1: high school yuri thing that kind of comes across as forcing a relationship on an asexual character, so I stopped reading at one volume, but now that more are out I hear it gets way better so maybe I'll get back into it?
Ghost School: my introduction to Hideshi Hino and boy do I wish I had picked any book besides this one. The entire shocking horror premise of the last story is that some of the characters are transgender. Eesh.
H.P. Lovecraft's The Hound and Other Stories: I actually forgot I had this. It's a competent translation of the most middling Lovecraft stories into another medium, but it's only as memorable or as good as that can be. The artwork I remember being very flat, like looking at CG renders that someone had cel-shaded over.
Happiness Volumes 3-6: Have y'all been reading Happiness? 'Cause Happiness is the shit. It's about a kid who gets bitten by a vampire and has his life turn into a bad drug trip that culminates in him getting off the grid with the vampire girl who turned him, with the most recent volume taking a huge bold swing in perspective and tone.
I Hear The Sunspot: a college student volunteers to help his hearing-impaired classmate with his note-taking and the two grow increasingly close. Doesn't really say as much about disability as I would have liked, and I dislike romances that end with two people deciding to date rather than being mostly about two people in a relationship. Though I guess there's a sequel now, so yay?
Kase-San Volumes 2-3: Hell yeah, everything on this list is gonna be gay. Pretty much the best high school yuri. It's fun and slice of lifey and progresses the way you want it to.
A Kiss and White Lily For My Dearest Girl Volume 1: I actually remember almost nothing about this one other than it having very detailed backgrounds and spreading its attention over too many characters.
Kitaro and the Great Tanuki War: I think I've had enough Kitaro. They're fun in a silver age comics way but they're not as immediately accessible as your Tezukas and such.
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past: Love seeing full-colour art in something that feels so old-school, and it's a pretty good adaptation for what it is, but this didn't really stand out compared to other comics I was reading.
Murciélago Volume 1: I am trash and everything I touch is trash
My Brother's Husband Volume 1 a Canadian man comes to Japan to pay his respects to his deceased husband's polite but homophobic twin brother and his Poor-Man's-Yotsuba of a daughter. Decent but I don't feel like I know what its audience is. It's too lukewarm to be a drama, too explicit to be all-ages, and too dramatic to be slice-of-life. Also Gengoroh Tagame's really good at drawing burly bear men and really bad at drawing the little girl who lives with them.
My Hero Academia Volumes 2-5: This is a really good "I'm bored and have fifteen dollars" series.
My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness: Autobio about depression convincing a young woman that she can get the self-confidence and emotional fulfillment of a relationship by skipping ahead and just hiring a prostitute. Heartbreaking, but with a positive note by the ending.
Neo Parasyte M is way less consistent (and thus consistently good) than Neo Parasyte F was. There's a Moto Hagio story in it (yesss), but also a "comedy" story that's nothing but sexual assault jokes that left a bad taste in my mouth.
NonNonBa: Autobio about Shigeru Mizuki's early life, particularly focusing on the grandmother figure who taught him about yokai. I dunno, maybe Mizuki's just not for me. This was just kind of dry and depressing without feeling like anything was really meant by it.
Otherworld Barbara: As detailed above. Feels like some old seventies sci-fi paperback you would find in a school library or a thrift store, where everything is high-concept bonkers.
Princess Jellyfish Volumes 5-7: Princess Jellyfish sure is good you guys.
Ranma 1/2 Omnibus Volume 5: Ranma 1/2 sure is good you guys.
Ravina the Witch?: A storybook about a witch raised by crows making contact with the human world for the first time (it goes bad). A big hardcover storybook is a way better fit for Junko Mizuno's art than the cramped panels of the fairytale comics she used to do, but I also miss how much meatier those were by comparison.
The Secret Devil-Chan Volume 1: Ecchi manga about a teenage boy who tries to lose his virginity in the flashiest way possible to one-up his friend by summoning a demon. Instead of a succubus, he gets a crossdressing incubus who can't go away until he completes his contract. The current status of this series is in some kind of hypercube limbo, but as far as I can tell this was not just the only volume released, but the only thing EVER released under DMP's "Pecchi" imprint. It had an extremely low print run and demands hundreds or even thousands of dollars on the aftermarket. I just want the other two volumes to come out...
Shiver: This is the Junji Ito book with the evil balloons in it. It doesn't ever really get much better than that one.
Uzumaki: I had started this ages ago but only finished it recently. Ito's long-form stuff tends to wobble toward the end but this one probably ends better than anything else he's done.
Sweet Blue Flowers: I'm always up for yuri and for Takako Shimura but this just reminds me that we'll never get the rest of Wandering Son and that is a crime.
To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts Volume 1: this is set in an America where the North has just won the Civil War by using satanic rituals to turn soldiers into monsters. It opens with a woman walking into a saloon, announcing to a man at the bar that he killed her father, and then unloading an elephant rifle into his chest. Then it never gets good again.

Also probably some scanlations or something. *shrug*
Old 03-22-2018, 04:40 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

Oh, and I reread the entirety of Shimanami Tasogare at least a dozen times. Still no official English translation, but at least there's a French one coming (and Spanish, which I can't rad, but some of you can).
Old 03-22-2018, 05:33 PM
poisonous thread snake

Hey teg, have you read the other D&Q Kitaro's also? I have that fat, self-titled anthology they put out. I kinda didn't like it at first, but really enjoyed it on a recent re-read. I've been shuffling my feet on grabbing up the actual series.

Mizuki's work definitely has a flat affect, though that doesn't altogether strike me as atypical of Japanese work. It appeals to me, personally, though I guess it's not for everyone.

My favorite part is definitely the evocative drawings of wet, desolate, mountain forests and dilapidated old wooden villages. I dunno- I can't help but feel his drawings are almost lurid in the way they capture the untamed, always-encroaching force of nature.

Yoshiharu Tsuge worked as an assistant for Mizuki and it shows- he basically wholesale copied Mizuki's trick of contrasting sketchy, cartoony human figures against detailed life-drawings of Old Japan's fading remnants.

Also just putting it out there that I think Hideshi Hino fucking sucks. Anyone else dig Kazuichi Hanawa? Try and read his story Mercy Flesh if you haven't heard of it.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:09 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

I do have that Kitaro collection, yes. I'm all about simplistic characters against highly detailed evocative backdrops, but the actual text of his stories don't really do enough for me.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:14 PM
d.o_o.b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Also just putting it out there that I think Hideshi Hino fucking sucks.
I've got real mixed feelings about his stuff, but I love Red Snake.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:54 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

Shimanami Tasogare aka This Old Queer House* has been running biweekly for the past ten weeks and after the old schedule of getting a clump of five chapters once a year it's like having my birthday every fourteen days. And the next volume's worth of material looks like it's going to finally get back to Misora, who I've been worrying about since volume 2 came out in October of 2016. I really, really hope this gets a proper English version at some point.

*It occurs to me that I've never actually explained what this comic is about, so here's a quick and dirty guide:
Tasuku Kaname is a teenage boy who gets outed at school just before summer vacation when some kids find gay porn in his phone's history. While wandering around town in a daze he finds The Lounge, a cozy home base for a vacant house restoration committee made up of members of the local LGBT community and backed by a mysterious woman known only as Anonymous (Dareka or "somebody" in the original). Each volume focuses on Tasuku getting to know someone in the lounge, helping the committee renovate a house known as Triangle Manor that he gets put in charge of redesigning, and gaining a deeper understanding of Tsubaki, his crush at school. The series has extremely detailed art and makes extensive use of increasingly subtle and complex motifs and visual metaphors. eg: the first volume uses crowbars as a metaphor for coming out and the second uses goldfish in a bowl as a metaphor for how the lounge is a safe space for people who can't survive outside of it.

It's real fuckin' good you guys.

In sadder news: I was talking to Nich today and he pointed out that DMP is probably in its death throes. They've had trouble delivering on their recent Kickstarters (largely because they promised a bunch of new art and signed Kimagure Orange Road stuff shortly before Izumi Matsumoto died, according to a Kickstarter update they posted last week) and they've had almost no social media presence, convention tables, or new releases since at least October. They lost a bunch of the yaoi titles that were propping them up when they ended a partnership in 2016, and it looks like Pecchi probably did die on the vine like I thought. What makes this a huge bummer is that while DMP mostly published garbage, they're also the sole owner of the English rights to the Osamu Tezuka library at the moment, plus they probably published more LGBT manga than anyone else. Super sad to see them in this state.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:28 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Wow, I didn't realize there was so much new Shimanami Tasogare. I need to catch up... it's an universal recommendation, no question.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:41 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Yeah, Shimanmi Tasogare is great. Here's a post of gushing over it I did two years ago after hearing teg's recommendation, with some (bad cell phone) pictures to demonstrate why this is such a good manga visually, not just thematically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I didn't think it would be there, but my local booksstore had both volumes of Shimanami Tasogare, so I bought it right away and read both of them.

This is a fantastic manga. The art is beautiful, and it makes impressive use of abstraction to heighten the feeling of carrying an unbearable secret that you can't fully admit even to yourself.

I love the way it focuses thematically so much on the way that LGBTQ people of different identities and backgrounds can hurt each other as they work through their identities, and it does this in a way that can't be reduced to a simple morality tale. The adult lesbian couple hurts each each other because of their different family situations, and the gay high school student and the middle schooler struggling with gender identity are not fully capable of being perfect allies. I love that the theme volume two is basically an exploration of how difficult it is to be a good ally for someone else.

I also love the focus on the violence society does to young people, of course and obviously because of bullying, but probably more importantly and explored extremely well here is the violence done to young people by forcing them to project self-hatred to prove they're normal. When people call Tasuku gay slurs, that's bad. But what really hurts (and the art make this clear) is the way he is himself forced to use gay slurs and anti-gay language to protect himself, a ritualized form of self-harm to avoid explicit bullying.

I love the way the narrative thread and imagery of tearing down and renovating old homes is tied into the characters tearing down and rebuilding their identities.

Again, I feel like author's identity as nonbinary/genderqueer and aesexual (e.g as minority even within LGBTQ circles) provides a broad perspective to thoughtfully depict a wide range of experiences. Yes, the viewpoint character/protagonist is still a cis gay man, but the story is not anchored to the viewpoint of cis gay men. It's about his encounters with other LGBTQ people, and him coming to learn about the breadth of queer identities and how people navigate them. I think there's also a high likelihood that the middle school student struggling with gender identity becomes a second protagonist, or at least remains a central character, if only because that character most closely mirrors the author's experiences, maybe?

Here are two beautiful and evocative sequences that I liked, form a terrible cell phone camera.

SEQUENCE ONE: The protagonist sees a lesbian couple, presumably one of the first gay couples he's ever really met. He wells up with so much feeling at seeing the possibility of a gay existence that he literally explodes, as the fragments of his repressed crush burst out of him uncontrollably.

SEQUENCE TWO: The protagonist sees his crush, and the shojo manga style stars form around them. But he forces himself to swallow them back down, because he is scared that his feelings will ruin him.

Thank you, Teg, for bringing this to my attention.

I wish this was around when I was 13, but I'm glad I got the chance to read it now.

Has anyone read Kamitani Yuuki's other work? I bet there is a good chance of interesting queer themes in other pieces. On the other hand, the ad copy for this says that Kamitani felt like it was possible to write this precisely because of recent advances in LGBT rights and a greater understanding of LGBT issues, so maybe in earlier works it's more subdued/subtext? Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Shimanami Tasogare aka This Old Queer House* has been running biweekly for the past ten weeks and after the old schedule of getting a clump of five chapters once a year it's like having my birthday every fourteen days.
The magazine it was being serialized in shut down, and it moved to a service that publishes the most recent chapter for free online. I think that's why you're getting more timely translations. (You probably knew this already.)

I'm waiting for the next physical collected volume though, so I'm behind. Very glad to hear they finally came back around to that character!
Old 03-31-2018, 07:26 PM
Accidental AvatarOverlord

Guess who’s reading Urasawa’s Monster for the first time? It’s me. I’m only one volume in, but curious to see what happens with the twins. The agent with the type-y fingers is....odd, and I’m wondering if he’ll take a bigger direct role in tracking Tenma down, or work more in the background like he has so far.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:40 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I picked up the manga for In This Corner of the World. It's a beast. The whole story is thrown into one extra thicc volume. It's approximately 3 volumes in one. Such thick binding makes the pages a little hard to read, but so far it's a delightful comic.
Not only the pages, but the historical notes in the gutters!

Thanks for the heads up on this one, and Otherworld Barbara, folks! I picked them up over the weekend and they're next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
They've had trouble delivering on their recent Kickstarters (largely because they promised a bunch of new art and signed Kimagure Orange Road stuff shortly before Izumi Matsumoto died
Oh my gosh. I didn't know that Matsumoto died. Between him and Tsuru it feels like the end of an era. And neither of them were that old.

Tags
ウエアブー , comics , derision , don't read anime , don't watch anime , fear of new threads , maagn , magma , magna , manga , manganese , mangos , powerful monster gf , recommendations