The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 03-11-2018, 05:59 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Thanks. Once I'm done Copybook Tales, I'll probably go with Ninja Turtles. I definitely want to help review OMAC for the Fourth World thread (yes, I know OMAC isn't Fourth World, but still it's Jack's DC years and DC keeps trying to tie all the Jack stuff together so there) but I might want to wait for Octo to be done his little tour. Shit, I remember I bought Devil Dinosaur for my tablet back when I was using comixology. I should sit down with that soon, too.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:54 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Why do Astro City trades jump all over the place with weird collections of issues instead of just going in publication order? I remember reading the first TPB back in the 90s, and I know it's an anthology series . . . but did publication order become so hard to follow that there's a big advantage to re-arranging it? Is it just a marketing thing to do thematic/story groupings, I guess?

For anyone unfamiliar, it has trades that go like this, sometimes...

Quote:
Astro City Volume 2: Confession (collects Astro City Vol. 2 #1/2, 4–9)
Astro City Volume 3: Family Album (collects Astro City Vol. 2 #1–3, 10–13)

Astro City Volume 11: Private Lives (collects Astro City Vol. 3 #11-12 and 14-17)
Astro City Volume 12: Lovers Quarrel (collects Astro City Vol. 3 #18-21 and 23-24)
Astro City Volume 13: Honor Guard (collects Astro City Vol. 3 #13, 22, 25, 27-28 and 31)
(Placed in this thread because it's the closest we have to a general comics thread, I think...)
Old 03-26-2018, 06:04 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

I did one of these for manga, so I figure I should do a list of comics I read during my absence:

Apocalyptigirl: An Aria For the End Times was $10 and felt like exactly $10 worth of entertainment. The art is snappy and engaging and the plot lacks memorable detail but works. I might even reread it, since I don't remember anything about it except that it was pretty okay.
Down, Boy Big Hard Sex Criminals was just as fun the second time around. I was bummed out 'cause I heard there wasn't gonna be a second hardcover, but then one suddenly came out a few months back! I hope the fake SFW book under the dustjacket is just as good.
A copy of Black Hole, which shows up on any shelf with enough comics on it, finally spawned in my apartment. I always wondered why so many people owned this book but so few talk about it. Now I know: It's very stylish and the premise is very high-concept, but it's sort of meandering and pointless. Beautiful Darkness is a book that I don't understand but love because of it, Black Hole is a book that I don't really get but feel the book is worse for it.
The Complete Phonogram is really great for the last two thirds but that first volume is rough the first time through. This is odd to read after coming off of The Wicked and the Divine since WicDiv is very much about the culture of artists and the creation of music but Phonogram is about the culture of interpretation and consumption of it. It's extremely telling that the only actual musician to appear in Phonogram is a single panel of Poly Styrene in the final chapter.
Hopeless Savages' Greatest Hits (the Hopeless Savages omnibus is wildly inconsistent but a hell of a lot of fun when it's firing on all cylinders. This is absolutely worth checking out just to see a bunch of big comics peeps collaborating before people were paying attention to them (Chynna Clugston-Flores, Sophie Campbell, Bryan Lee O'Malley, Jamie McKelvie, etc). Volume 2's teen drama holds up a lot better than volume 1 and 3, which each feel like a different era of some long-running melodramatic webcomic.
Hopeless Savages: Break probably feels like it works better because it was written as a single story rather than being broken down into component issues with disparate art teams. Meredith McClaren's expressively flat artwork is a good fit for the series compared to...
Jem and the Holograms Volumes 1-4, where her art is easily the weakest of the lineup for a series that's only slightly different on paper. This series is so goddamn good (the bonkers third volume especially), but it sure likes to ration out that Sophie Campbell art. Pizzazz is hands-down better than every other character combined, which makes the fourth volume feel like a double letdown since The Misfits get partially sidelined by The Stingers, who feel very weakly characterized and unnecessary.
The Nameless City Volume 1 I clearly need to reread, because I remember that it was excellent but can't remember a single detail about it. I know that I want to read that second volume, at least?
Octopus Pie Volume 1 covers what I remember reading of Octopus Pie when it was contemporary, plus some stuff I hadn't read before. I figured it was the best time to start getting caught up now that it's done. Some of these early strips have aged like a carton of fine milk in terms of cultural touchstones (there's material about the construction of the Freedom Tower and a joke about three different people dressing up as the Heath Ledger Joker for Halloween), but it's still all relateable and emotionally relevant when it doesn't go too maudlin.
Supermutant Magic Academy is mostly one long, hilarious internally consistent non-sequitur; with one perfectly executed emotional gutpunch 90% of the way through. Read it if you like stories about how being a queer teenager is hard or if you like butt jokes.
The Wicked and the Divine: Deluxe Edition: Year Two is a comic that y'all are almost certainly already reading (because it's excellent) but I'll just chime in and say that this big demon-summoning-ass hardcovers are gorgeous and I'm glad I'm enjoying the series on this slower, chunkier schedule rather than in floppies or trades.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:05 PM

OK, so I picked up Copybook Tales on a whim because I always like to get a bit of randomness from the bargain bin at the local comic shop. It's a title I knew by name but knew nothing about and...

Wow...

Not good...

Also, it's ridiculously 90's, mostly in bad ways. For those who are unaware, it is a Canadian comic from the mid-90's to early 2000's about a fanboy who wants to be a comic creator. It feels like what web comics were in the early 2000's, so there's a warning sign. It goes back and forth in time where the main character is a teen and when he is a grown up who whines about how he misses being a teen. You know you are in trouble when this is an excerpt from the introduction.

"Why, this comic remembered that pop culture existed! How novel!" This guy might have just learned that other people have nostalgia, too. Also, no I can't understand what he's feeling about Phoebe Cates. Don't lump me in with you. And "running gag" is being kind. (That said, this intro was written in 2001, and at that time, I probably also would have written something as dumb and trite. I was not a good writer.)

Overall it's a pretty weak book that VERY occasionally comes close to being interesting but mostly has weak teen sex comedy-style humour from someone trying to emulate it without actually making it funny.

This really feels very much like it's the kind of book for a young male of a certain age and has to have been born at a certain time (namely, I MAY have liked the book had I read it at age 15, because I was a kid with terrible taste) meaning that it's aged into something for... no one. This was a "not good" book.

I don't know if the creators went onto create any good comics, but I hope so. This feels like something to grow out of creatively, so maybe they did and became better creators.

EDIT:

Oh, also forgot to mention last week I got a much better, though still flawed, book from the bargain bin, an 80's comic called ESPERS. With art by David Lloyd! I've never heard of this but it was originally published by EPIC, then Eclipse, so you know what kind of vintage you are getting. It's about psychics who decide to use their powers to combat a terrorist group called *sigh* the Sword of Allah, and the first issue is mostly getting the team together, which is fun enough. The second issue is a bit of a snooze, especially with potentially the most interesting character, a female reporter from South America who risks her life to report on corruption, spend most of the issue narrating about having the hots for the merc on their team. It really feels like the writer is going for a Chris Claremont feel, so it's pretty wordy and the poetic language to describe powers is a bit silly. Still, hoping I enjoy this one a bit more by the end.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:15 PM
Better be the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
I don't know if the creators went onto create any good comics, but I hope so. This feels like something to grow out of creatively, so maybe they did and became better creators.
J. Torres seems to have done okay. Co-created Alison Dare, and wrote the entire run of Teen Titans Go! (the comic based on the original cartoon, not the newer goofier cartoon).
Old 03-29-2018, 06:17 PM

So I've been reading Blue Monday and it varies wildly between two modes:
  1. Bleu spends three issues trying to get to see Adam Ant in concert, comedy ensues
  2. Alan and Victor sneak into a restaurant kitchen and hide their pubic hair in the girls' food as a prank
By default it's this super fun "what if the Archie kids had actual distinguishing characteristics and interests" thing that I'm really in love with (and clearly every indie comics creator of the next twenty years was in love with too), but then it'll veer off into the grossest this-shit-does-not-fly-in-2018 material at the drop of a hat. The second volume involves Alan and Victor secretly taping Bleu taking a bath and threatening to release the tape and it's still relevant and topical in the worst possible way.

Also I spent the entire second issue trying to remember who sang "Tainted Love" so clearly it's hitting me in a very Phonogram way.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:23 PM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
[*]Alan and Victor sneak into a restaurant kitchen and hide their pubic hair in the girls' food as a prank
yeah it has been a long ass time since I read any of it but IIRC the early stuff at least (composed when Flores was, like, 25 or something) has a high "things that 90s anime told us were totally hilarious" quotient.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:34 PM

Finished Espers. It's a perfectly fine 80's comics that occasionally suffers from being an 80's comics. Also, in a text piece featuring the teams Japanese member before he joined, compares his entrance exams to "glowering paper dragons", which is a weird, dumb metaphor. The last issue collected is the first chapter in a new story that was apparently never completed. David Lloyd is replaced by John M. Burns, who draws and paints in that 80's style I like.

Evil thoughts apparently appear in a cotton candy coloured realm. Wickedness is making me hungry for candy.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:17 PM

Finished that second volume of Blue Monday and the whole deal with the tape doesn't really go anywhere good. I'm still into it, but I don't see why Bleu is still willing to even talk to these guys.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:04 PM

Finished issue 3 of Bitch Planet. Man, this series is great. Despite the fact that I saw the twist of the issue coming, it still feels really rewarding. I hope the other characters get fleshed out as much as Penny Rolle, because now I want her to be the lead character.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:00 AM

So one of my all-time favorite series is Marvel's Exiles, staring a bunch of X-Men from different parts of the Multitude, usually starting Blink from the Age of Apocalypse timeline, Morph, Nocturne (alt universe daughter of Nightcrawler and Scarlet Witch) and a few others. Well this week is the release of a new run by writer Saladin Ahmed and artists Javier Rodriguez and Alvaro Lopez where Blink is getting a new team together to stop something called the Time-Eater, which gets shone off at the end of the issue.

The team looks to be Blink, an older version of Ms. Marvel (one from a Fallout/Mad Max style timeline with a Furiosa style vibe to her), an alternate version of Iron Lad from Young Avengers aka a young Kang the Conqueror, and hinted at for the next issue a version of Valkyrie based off of Tessa Thompson in Thor Ragnarok and a goofy cartoon version of Wolverine (Logan not Laura).

It's a little early to tell if this will be any good, but I'm saying keep this on your radar.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:30 PM

I can't remember the last time I asked my local comic shop to order something in for me. But I got the call yesterday that Transformers Vs. G.I. Joe vol. 3 came in for me. YAY!
Old 04-18-2018, 05:41 AM

Action Comics 1K- the best Superman stories are ones where he both inspires and is inspired by people and thankfully, this issue is like 90% stories like that. Good stuff.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:23 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Action Comics 1K- the best Superman stories are ones where he both inspires and is inspired by people and thankfully, this issue is like 90% stories like that. Good stuff.
Please tell me Bendis left his worst excesses at home.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:37 AM

Default Bendis is the other 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Please tell me Bendis left his worst excesses at home.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:51 AM
Mr. Jackpots

I have All-Star Superman, Red Son, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Birthright, Superman for All Seasons, and Secret Identity. Are there are any other essential standalone Superman stories in this sale?
Old 04-18-2018, 07:01 AM

I've heard good things about Superman: Earth One, by JMS. Supersons someone here said was good, maybe try that. And there is the four volumes of Superman Adventures based off of the DCAU cartoon which is probably the best thing Mark Millar "wrote" (it's rumored to be ghostwritten by Grant Morrison).
Old 04-18-2018, 08:28 AM
This Guy

I don't see anything in there that is standalone and essential. The Rebirth Superman series is a largely very good run of Superman comics, but it is tied up with continuity stuff. I heard good things about Superman: American Alien, but Max Landis. I have not heard good things about Superman Earth One.

You should grab Action Comics 775 "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" for a dollar. It is a little didactic, but it is still a really good stand alone Superman story.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:48 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Gonna have to strongly disagree on this. Many of the individual stories have promise, but none were given enough pages to flesh themselves out, or be engaging. On their own, many of these would work as a backup to a longer story, or as part of an anthology featuring other characters. Compiled like this, everything feels rushed and repetitive. I only found out about this milestone issue a few days ago, and let myself get excited for something along the lines of "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" only to find my enthusiasm fall way to tedium and annoyance. Turning the last page to find the John Byrne "Man of Steel" logo, a Superman reboot that I particularly loathe, was the icing on the cake. Criminal waste of talent on this.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:20 PM
Find Your Reason

Death of Superman is... is. The more distant I am from it, the more disappointed I am that it was just a dumb slugfest against a dumb deus ex machina. The Funeral for a Friend arc was very good, Reign of the Supermen was good, and Superman/Doomsday was decent (and I think the only interesting use of Waverider) but Death itself was not the death Superman should have gotten. (The only worse death was Golden-Age Superman getting beaten to death by Superboy Prime.)

How are Superman: For Tomorrow and Superman: For The Animals?

I'm also trying to look up the "exile" saga where Supes went off-Earth after killing Zod, an arc which introduced the Eradicator, Mongul, and the strange ape-like Kryptonian priest. Would that be collected anywhere?

lol Superman At Earth's End
Old 04-18-2018, 12:56 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Death of Superman is... is. The more distant I am from it, the more disappointed I am that it was just a dumb slugfest against a dumb deus ex machina.
"Superman punches another strong guy" is my least favorite type of Superman story.
I've been meaning to revisit "Reign of the Supermen" for ages but never get around to it.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:39 PM
This Guy

I recall Superman: For Tomorrow being nigh incomprehensible. There are some good ideas there, but I thought the art and writing were fighting each other and the ideas never coalesced into a story.

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day