The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-14-2018, 04:06 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral
Default Also 80's Mohawk Storm is in it.

I read the first six chapters of America from Marvel, which stars America Chavez, and it is big and gay and colorful and America punches Hitler with help from her Luchadore grandmother and if none of that sells you on this book, we can't be friends.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:01 PM
100% All Original

Heck, just your post title sold me on it! Seriously though, I think Miss America is rad but I've not really read much of her at all, so I should definitely check that out.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:01 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Tom King is going to be at Planet Comiccon in KC in Feb. I guess that makes up my mind about going to it.
I'm probably going alone or maybe with my girlfriend this year if you want to meet up. Not a whole lot of creators are going to excite me more than Chris Claremont last year, though.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:47 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinforcements View Post
Heck, just your post title sold me on it! Seriously though, I think Miss America is rad but I've not really read much of her at all, so I should definitely check that out.
The last Young Avengers series features her and is good.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:06 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Tom King is going to be at Planet Comiccon in KC in Feb. I guess that makes up my mind about going to it.
Apparently Jim Steranko will be at this year's Niagara Falls Comic Con. I'd like to go.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:20 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

I dunno if anybody else is still reading Wild Storm? If you are okay with Warren Ellis's current mode where he writes slow-paced doorstopper novels which may or may not have endings and then publishes them in monthly serial comic book form, it's not bad.

Left: Shen Li-Min-Prime
Right: Jenny Sparks-Prime

Old 02-01-2018, 07:13 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

I bought a comic. More than one, even!

Old 02-01-2018, 07:24 AM
Dinger!

That's a good haul.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:46 AM
Find Your Reason

Holy crap, that Jem cover in the lower left. I know I have a little over a year to catch up with, but comic's got dark
Old 02-02-2018, 07:07 PM
The Goggles do Nothing

JLA - Doom Patrol Special #1 is out this week. The Justice League has been brainwashed into being Stepford versions of themselves. The Doom Patrol successfully reawakened them by hitting all the JLA members with their matching "first appearance" issues. "What is this? Desperate scientists? Kindly couple? Who is that!?"

God, I love comic books.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:46 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Daniel Warren Johnson's book EXTREMITY is coming up on the finale (issue 11 just dropped, issue 12 is the last) and it's some of the best shit coming out of Image Central in the past couple years. I think I described it one time as what you'd get if Nausicaa had run in Heavy Metal magazine.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:42 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Oh man, that looks cool.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:05 PM
till the sheriff stops by

What I read:

After Ichi-F, I did a quick read through of My Monkey's Name is Jennifer. Despite being weird and crazy, I feel like it is weird and crazy the same way that a lot of indie humour comics are, so while I liked it OK, I didn't like it much more than that. It has a potentially fun premise: an extremely angry chimp reluctantly protects a little girl he'd rather maim and is constantly getting into danger because of her. Some of the jokes work, but I feel like it's a type of humour done better in books like Street Angel.

Currently reading One Week in the Library, which I got used at my local comic shop. It's an anthology that takes place in a magic library. I'm convinced that this was originally pitched as a Sandman spin-off for Lucien the Librarian that got rejected. Seems to be pretty much the same library in principal. So far, I'm enjoying it. The art is really good and the writer has been crafting some really neat visuals for it. As far as books about magic libraries, this one is pretty solid.

Bought today:

OK, I got March Vol. 2, which I planned to buy for a long time. I really liked the first March and should probably dig it out and re-read it sometime.

I also bought a book that looks very very Octo-Good (or aspires to be) in the used section.

It's a comic where DMC from the rap duo Run DMC (he's the one who is not Run) is a superhero who apparently doesn't mind product placement for Adidas on his cover. That said, I love his ridiculous costume so much. Not not entirely ironically either. It's weird, but it really does catch the eye and as crazy as it is, the gold letters on his upper torso are aesthetically pleasing to me.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:21 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

I am being completely and totally honest here when I saw I simply must know the contents of that comic book.

It is more important to me than food, air or comfort.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 PM

Working on it. New thread coming... eventually.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:38 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

I picked up Vol.2 of The Flash by Mark Waid this week. It starts with a Flash/Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) team up against Hector Hammond and Gorilla Grodd. The heroes win with help from the BAA, the Bureau of Amplified Animals, which is a USGOVERNMENT department staffed exclusively by animals that had their intelligence increase by scientific experiments.

Next is a quick two parter where the Flash stops Dr. Alchemy and some mysterious man wanders out of a lightning strike that Dr. Alchemy tried to hit the Flash with.

Then we get a nice Christmas story in which Jay and Wally find a woman named Maria about to give birth while she's looking for her husband Joe (get it?) before he gets in trouble helping some criminals rob a mall because he needs money for his new family. Anyway Wally finds him, stops the robbers, convinces the mall manager to give Joe a job provided he doesn't try to break the law again, and reunites Joe and Maria, who just gave birth. The story ends Wally and his girlfriend Linda opening presents at Jay and Joan's house when someone knocks on the door. Who could it be? Why, it's Barry Allen, back from the dead, back when that meant something.

And wrapping up the collection is The Return of Barry Allen, which is easily one of the top three Flash stories, and one the big reasons why Waid's '90s Flash run (no pun intended) is considered one the high points of '90s DC Comics and when you think about what else they were putting out at that time, that's high praise. Now I'm not going to talk about it because it's something you need to read for yourself, but yeah, it's so good and that's a Flash Fact!
Old 03-01-2018, 07:15 PM

Finally finished all of March. I reread the first volume and still liked it, but the second and third volume is where it gets incredibly powerful and incredibly disturbing. I remembered volume 1 being instructional in certain aspects of nonviolent protest, but the subsequent volumes are much more powerful (though I wouldn't mind a comic that is simply an instruction manual for effective non-violent protest). I definitely will be passing this one around to family members for the next while.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:18 PM

Read Glenn Gould: A Life Out of Tempo. This was a great book. As the title implies, it is a comic about Glenn Gould. As Glenn was a bit of an enigma, to a certain extent anyway, to many people, the book tries to capture a portrait of a complicated but brilliant artist who loved isolation. Often, in memoirs, complicated often means "was dickish, yet brilliant". This book doesn't paint him as dickish, though certain paranoia and phobias made him difficult to be around and work with and a misfit who really couldn't relate well to others.

It's really about a man who was, both for good and for ill, lonely. He clearly mostly seems to like that (or at least, when with people, in much more intimate settings). The art is good, but what I think really sets this apart for me are the colours and compositions.

I swear, Glenn Gould has a lot of panels and collection of panels I would love to hang up on my walls. This is a gorgeous book and I look forward to lending it to others.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:41 AM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I must say I've not read much about Gould but I'm definitely quite interested between this and what you've mentioned of his wikipedia page
Old 03-10-2018, 02:32 AM

OK guys, after months and months I've actually whittled my pile of purchased but unread comic trades down to five. Now one of them is a huge tome of the original Stray Bullets, which I'm going to read once everything else is exhausted. The others I got are.

Omac: The One Man Army Corps by Jack Kirby
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection vol. 1
Bitch Planet
Transformers Vs. G.I. Joe vol. 1 and 2 (the IDW version, natch)

Which should I read next. Keep in mind, I have a "save the best for last" policy, meaning I want you to chose the least good of these beloved book for me to read next. It's a tough call so I need some help.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:22 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Is TFvsGIJoe the Tom Scioli one, or one of the other ones? If the former; wait and savor it.

And if you start with OMAC, you can contribute it to the Fourth World thread. Just saying.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:46 AM

The former. I read the first five issues and loved it, but something came up to distract me (probably getting the Golden Age Superman books, which I like but that feels a bit more like history homework to me).

And I picked up Bitch Planet vol. 2 yesterday and saw that there's a "Triple Feature" trade, so that's going on the back burner until I am caught up with that.

So that leaves OMAC and Ninja Turtles. After I read Copybook Tales, which I picked up for cheap, yesterday.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:24 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

IIRC, the second volume of TFvJoe ends on a pretty significant cliffhanger, you might want to have the whole series before you start on that.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:27 AM

Oh, Hell, I only thought there were two volumes. Thanks for the warning.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:22 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
And I picked up Bitch Planet vol. 2 yesterday and saw that there's a "Triple Feature" trade, so that's going on the back burner until I am caught up with that.
The triple features are side stories by a rotating team of writers and artists and we're released after Vol.2 so you're safe to read Vol.2 first.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:59 PM

Thanks. Once I'm done Copybook Tales, I'll probably go with Ninja Turtles. I definitely want to help review OMAC for the Fourth World thread (yes, I know OMAC isn't Fourth World, but still it's Jack's DC years and DC keeps trying to tie all the Jack stuff together so there) but I might want to wait for Octo to be done his little tour. Shit, I remember I bought Devil Dinosaur for my tablet back when I was using comixology. I should sit down with that soon, too.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:54 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Why do Astro City trades jump all over the place with weird collections of issues instead of just going in publication order? I remember reading the first TPB back in the 90s, and I know it's an anthology series . . . but did publication order become so hard to follow that there's a big advantage to re-arranging it? Is it just a marketing thing to do thematic/story groupings, I guess?

For anyone unfamiliar, it has trades that go like this, sometimes...

Quote:
Astro City Volume 2: Confession (collects Astro City Vol. 2 #1/2, 4–9)
Astro City Volume 3: Family Album (collects Astro City Vol. 2 #1–3, 10–13)

Astro City Volume 11: Private Lives (collects Astro City Vol. 3 #11-12 and 14-17)
Astro City Volume 12: Lovers Quarrel (collects Astro City Vol. 3 #18-21 and 23-24)
Astro City Volume 13: Honor Guard (collects Astro City Vol. 3 #13, 22, 25, 27-28 and 31)
(Placed in this thread because it's the closest we have to a general comics thread, I think...)
Old 03-26-2018, 06:04 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

I did one of these for manga, so I figure I should do a list of comics I read during my absence:

Apocalyptigirl: An Aria For the End Times was $10 and felt like exactly $10 worth of entertainment. The art is snappy and engaging and the plot lacks memorable detail but works. I might even reread it, since I don't remember anything about it except that it was pretty okay.
Down, Boy Big Hard Sex Criminals was just as fun the second time around. I was bummed out 'cause I heard there wasn't gonna be a second hardcover, but then one suddenly came out a few months back! I hope the fake SFW book under the dustjacket is just as good.
A copy of Black Hole, which shows up on any shelf with enough comics on it, finally spawned in my apartment. I always wondered why so many people owned this book but so few talk about it. Now I know: It's very stylish and the premise is very high-concept, but it's sort of meandering and pointless. Beautiful Darkness is a book that I don't understand but love because of it, Black Hole is a book that I don't really get but feel the book is worse for it.
The Complete Phonogram is really great for the last two thirds but that first volume is rough the first time through. This is odd to read after coming off of The Wicked and the Divine since WicDiv is very much about the culture of artists and the creation of music but Phonogram is about the culture of interpretation and consumption of it. It's extremely telling that the only actual musician to appear in Phonogram is a single panel of Poly Styrene in the final chapter.
Hopeless Savages' Greatest Hits (the Hopeless Savages omnibus is wildly inconsistent but a hell of a lot of fun when it's firing on all cylinders. This is absolutely worth checking out just to see a bunch of big comics peeps collaborating before people were paying attention to them (Chynna Clugston-Flores, Sophie Campbell, Bryan Lee O'Malley, Jamie McKelvie, etc). Volume 2's teen drama holds up a lot better than volume 1 and 3, which each feel like a different era of some long-running melodramatic webcomic.
Hopeless Savages: Break probably feels like it works better because it was written as a single story rather than being broken down into component issues with disparate art teams. Meredith McClaren's expressively flat artwork is a good fit for the series compared to...
Jem and the Holograms Volumes 1-4, where her art is easily the weakest of the lineup for a series that's only slightly different on paper. This series is so goddamn good (the bonkers third volume especially), but it sure likes to ration out that Sophie Campbell art. Pizzazz is hands-down better than every other character combined, which makes the fourth volume feel like a double letdown since The Misfits get partially sidelined by The Stingers, who feel very weakly characterized and unnecessary.
The Nameless City Volume 1 I clearly need to reread, because I remember that it was excellent but can't remember a single detail about it. I know that I want to read that second volume, at least?
Octopus Pie Volume 1 covers what I remember reading of Octopus Pie when it was contemporary, plus some stuff I hadn't read before. I figured it was the best time to start getting caught up now that it's done. Some of these early strips have aged like a carton of fine milk in terms of cultural touchstones (there's material about the construction of the Freedom Tower and a joke about three different people dressing up as the Heath Ledger Joker for Halloween), but it's still all relateable and emotionally relevant when it doesn't go too maudlin.
Supermutant Magic Academy is mostly one long, hilarious internally consistent non-sequitur; with one perfectly executed emotional gutpunch 90% of the way through. Read it if you like stories about how being a queer teenager is hard or if you like butt jokes.
The Wicked and the Divine: Deluxe Edition: Year Two is a comic that y'all are almost certainly already reading (because it's excellent) but I'll just chime in and say that this big demon-summoning-ass hardcovers are gorgeous and I'm glad I'm enjoying the series on this slower, chunkier schedule rather than in floppies or trades.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:05 PM

OK, so I picked up Copybook Tales on a whim because I always like to get a bit of randomness from the bargain bin at the local comic shop. It's a title I knew by name but knew nothing about and...

Wow...

Not good...

Also, it's ridiculously 90's, mostly in bad ways. For those who are unaware, it is a Canadian comic from the mid-90's to early 2000's about a fanboy who wants to be a comic creator. It feels like what web comics were in the early 2000's, so there's a warning sign. It goes back and forth in time where the main character is a teen and when he is a grown up who whines about how he misses being a teen. You know you are in trouble when this is an excerpt from the introduction.

"Why, this comic remembered that pop culture existed! How novel!" This guy might have just learned that other people have nostalgia, too. Also, no I can't understand what he's feeling about Phoebe Cates. Don't lump me in with you. And "running gag" is being kind. (That said, this intro was written in 2001, and at that time, I probably also would have written something as dumb and trite. I was not a good writer.)

Overall it's a pretty weak book that VERY occasionally comes close to being interesting but mostly has weak teen sex comedy-style humour from someone trying to emulate it without actually making it funny.

This really feels very much like it's the kind of book for a young male of a certain age and has to have been born at a certain time (namely, I MAY have liked the book had I read it at age 15, because I was a kid with terrible taste) meaning that it's aged into something for... no one. This was a "not good" book.

I don't know if the creators went onto create any good comics, but I hope so. This feels like something to grow out of creatively, so maybe they did and became better creators.

EDIT:

Oh, also forgot to mention last week I got a much better, though still flawed, book from the bargain bin, an 80's comic called ESPERS. With art by David Lloyd! I've never heard of this but it was originally published by EPIC, then Eclipse, so you know what kind of vintage you are getting. It's about psychics who decide to use their powers to combat a terrorist group called *sigh* the Sword of Allah, and the first issue is mostly getting the team together, which is fun enough. The second issue is a bit of a snooze, especially with potentially the most interesting character, a female reporter from South America who risks her life to report on corruption, spend most of the issue narrating about having the hots for the merc on their team. It really feels like the writer is going for a Chris Claremont feel, so it's pretty wordy and the poetic language to describe powers is a bit silly. Still, hoping I enjoy this one a bit more by the end.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:15 PM
Better be the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
I don't know if the creators went onto create any good comics, but I hope so. This feels like something to grow out of creatively, so maybe they did and became better creators.
J. Torres seems to have done okay. Co-created Alison Dare, and wrote the entire run of Teen Titans Go! (the comic based on the original cartoon, not the newer goofier cartoon).

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day