The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 06-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

I wish I'd thought to dream journal in here when I woke up, because it was a doozy but it's mostly lost to the mists of time now. I recall that I was living in a palatial apartment and a bunch of angry hipsters argued their way inside and started snooping around because they were convinced I'd stolen a bunch of chopsticks and fancy asian plates. Also I was participating in an undersea bus tour and was terrified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Found out Sensenic is a coworker when I saw someone
using the same icon on the intracorp social media service. I was about to ask how to pronounce their TT handle ("sen-sen-ic" or "sense-nic"?) when I woke up.
I didn't notice what thread I was in at first and was about to reply "What a neat coincidence!"
Old 06-20-2018, 07:25 AM
Phantastic Oil

Had a dream that I was running late for work and panicking that I was going to miss the bus. Woke up in a panicked state and realized I was thus up early for work this morning.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:58 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Had a dream that I was running late for work and panicking that I was going to miss the bus. Woke up in a panicked state and realized I was thus up early for work this morning.
this is me at least once a week
Old 06-21-2018, 02:26 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

This morning I dreamed that some local brass band was playing in some local concert for some local festivities... and they announced that they had a certain guest group to play with them: "Allow me to introduce you to... THE BEATLES!"

Yup, the 4 of 'em , the original ones, alive, young and happy to play in some unknown small village. Such humility. XD
And so, they proceeded to play their mundially famous hit song: My Sharona

And then I woke up, I kid you not, snapping my fingers to the rhythm, until I realized. XD
Old 06-23-2018, 04:53 AM
till the sheriff stops by

I dreamed I was a young boy and me and a young Asian boy were sneaking into a hotel for reason unknown. While dodging security, I hid in a bathroom that wasn't as empty as I thought. Inside was an Asian man (maybe this took place in Asia?) dressing in his business suit while sounding very distressed. Then over his business suit, he put on some Daisy Dukes, left the bathroom, then proceeded to start cleaning the hardwood floors outside in the manner I've seen students do in their classrooms in Japanese cartoons. He seemed very distressed.

I hope you get your groove back, dream man.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:23 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I was dog tired and fell asleep in my office chair at work while chewing some gum. When I woke up and went to spit out the gum, I noticed there was a piece of tooth stuck in it. I freaked out and ran to the restroom to check myself in the mirror, and I had a bunch of teeth missing so I freak out some more as I'm leaving the restroom and trying to figure out what to do. One of the supervisors noticed my distress and asked me what's going on, so I explain about my teeth coming apart and falling out. "Oh, is that where these came from?" she asks, pushing forward a few disembodied teeth that were sitting on her desk. "That's only about half of them" I have to explain, taking the teeth back to my office. As yet another tooth fell out, I started trying to calm myself down: "Look, there have to be options, and this would be an excuse to eat more ice cream. And there's got to be a rational reason for this. For instance, you know that teeth falling out for no reason is one of the most common bad dreams in the world. Are you sure you're not just having some plebeian nightmare? Try waking up to find out."

And then I woke up. (I do still have all my teeth, too.)
Old 06-23-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Found out Sensenic is a coworker when I saw someone using the same icon on the intracorp social media service. I was about to ask how to pronounce their TT handle ("sen-sen-ic" or "sense-nic"?) when I woke up.
Oh, shit, missed this one before.

Pronounce it how you want, but it's rather the former.
Maybe we can have that chat on Monday over some coffee in the office. ;p

Quote:
I was dog tired and fell asleep in my office chair at work while chewing some gum. When I woke up and went to spit out the gum, I noticed there was a piece of tooth stuck in it. I freaked out and ran to the restroom to check myself in the mirror, and I had a bunch of teeth missing so I freak out some more as I'm leaving the restroom and trying to figure out what to do. One of the supervisors noticed my distress and asked me what's going on, so I explain about my teeth coming apart and falling out. "Oh, is that where these came from?" she asks, pushing forward a few disembodied teeth that were sitting on her desk. "That's only about half of them" I have to explain, taking the teeth back to my office. As yet another tooth fell out, I started trying to calm myself down: "Look, there have to be options, and this would be an excuse to eat more ice cream. And there's got to be a rational reason for this. For instance, you know that teeth falling out for no reason is one of the most common bad dreams in the world. Are you sure you're not just having some plebeian nightmare? Try waking up to find out."

And then I woke up. (I do still have all my teeth, too.)
That twist ending reminded me of a recent one, of which I remember nothing but how it ended: I had been finding myself awakening from dreams-within-dreams, all Inception-like, and finally at the last level I was comfortable "yeah, this is reality now, I'm awake.... wait no, no, this is still a dream, wake up come on, wake up" while doing an active effort of opening up my eyes... until I indeed forcibly awoke myself with a good old startle, eyes wide open. Yeesh.

Also, a reoccurring nightmare of mine is that I keep falling asleep in places I shouldn't, such as at work or driving, and I'm aware of it and try to wake up but I don't even have the strength to open my eyes, so I decide to continue trying my best at doing whatever I was doing with my eyes closed, hoping I won't be needing to see much and that no one notices until I manage to open them. Needless to say, it's pretty stressful.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:44 PM
Tausendsassa

I dreamed that I was checking Talking Time and there was a thread in the Pit titled Donald Trump is Terrifying and Wants You Dead. I didn't click it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Inside was an Asian man dressing in his business suit while sounding very distressed.
When I first saw this I thought it said "birthday suit" and was disappointed when I reread it.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:02 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Anxiety dream about getting lost on the way to a job interview...
Old 07-07-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Anxiety dream about getting lost on the way to a job interview...
I generally enjoy and look forwards to my dreams. And even if they're nightmares, they're outlandish scenarios that I can shrug off. But god damn, when your IRL responsibilities/anxieties make their way into your dreams it feels fucking awful and is really hard to shake. I'm so sick of these dreams.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:26 AM

Dreamed the coolest video game idea:

This game starts as an apparently really simple 3-screen (from left to right: a fancy hotel lobby, outside the hotel in a touristic town and another more isolated and quieter town, that requires public transportation shenanigans to reach) VGA pixel art point 'n click adventure, about the exciting task of paying a deluxe hotel room. You pay, cleared the game, roll credits, a winner is you.

If you boot the game again, now it's about the fascinating world of real estate: acquiring a home in the aforementioned quiet town that is mostly a retirement destination. A bit more complex but still really simple and straightforward.

The third time you play you're a different character, you're back at the hotel but this time it seems to be a sort of metaphor for depression, how all the luxuries in the world can't seem to get the main character and other customers out of their funk and suicidal thoughts. Don't know/remember what your goal is here.

But this is the gist of it: every time you finish the game, a new iteration starts, with not only a new plot and (most of the time) a new playable character, but always getting bigger (always starting from the two towns and the hotel baseline), more complex and switching genres and themes every time (now symbolic, like the depression chapter, now outright B-grade science fiction, now fantasy, now political thriller, etc.) with several iterations introducing new gameplay styles/genres and even graphic styles - started with VGA pixel art, but it would go FMV and 3D (or 2,5D) polygonal as well.

A middle of the way example scenario: You start playing as some lady in these towns... only to get killed rather quick and come back as an undead (specific kind -zombie? vampire? banshee?- undefined, but with blue-ish skin) in a postapocalyptic underground dystopian undead regime, in which you are being hunted and have to "survive" running away from the regime's authorities. Gameplay would be a Flashback-style cinematic platformer.

After a while you notice that some recurring characters start not reappearing in subsequent iterations, specially after you do sth good for them (maybe when playing as them?), until you find out that this is the ultimate goal of the game: free the game's creator (who's been the one to introduce you to your objectives and whatnot each iteration) and his friends, family, acquaintances from the game, in which they're trapped.
Turns out that in the end the game was a meta-commentary on the absorbing nature of game development? in how it takes a lot of quality time from yourself and to be with your beloved ones, so in a way they're "trapped" by it too.

Don't ask how my subconscious went there. I have never developed any games for that matter. *shrug*
Old 09-10-2018, 08:46 AM
Toothsome!

Last night I dreamed that in Avengers: Infinity War, Thanos's reward for killing half the universe wasn't to retire on a farm planet, but to open up a delicatessen in New York.

His signature dish was a five-layer sandwich called The Avenger, which consisted of: turkey and bacon with aoli and roasted red peppers (Iron Man), ham with honey mustard and cheddar (Thor), pastrami with paprika and russian dressing (Black Widow), grilled chicken with smashed avocado and baby greens (Hulk), and roast beef with sliced tomatoes, mayo, and blue cheese (Captain America) on white bread (Hawkeye).
Old 09-10-2018, 10:06 AM
クソゲーが好な人

And now we need an Avengers-1-esque stinger scene with all of Thanos' minion boss characters sitting around in the deli eating that sandwich.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:46 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I'm really, really upset that wasn't an actual scene in the movie now. Why do dreams curse us thus?
Old 09-10-2018, 07:46 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
I'm really, really upset that wasn't an actual scene in the movie now. Why do dreams curse us thus?
They only curse the people who can't convice production companies (or whatever) to give them money to make their dreams a reality.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:13 PM

I was wandering around the yard at dusk and found an umbreon! Then another a few minutes later! Then I took them up to the house and I found more! But then I had so many umbreons I couldn't hold and hug them all at once and I felt terrible
Old 09-13-2018, 10:10 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

For a second I thought we were talking about Pokemon GO and I was like wait, those don't spawn in the wild!
Old 09-16-2018, 04:09 PM

I got a job at Blizzard and met D.va's voice actress. I kept unintentionally violating her personal space by doing things like dashing forward to look out a window she was standing in front of, that kind of thing. I figured out what I was doing after the second or third time, tried to explain myself, and apologized. She grabbed me by the throat and choked me a little before accepting the apology, but accept it she did.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:23 PM
Senhor Member

Gr8 dream. Thank you.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:11 PM
BAG

I dreamed I was playing this edutainment version of Chase HQ that has a Jack the Pirate art style. In this version they took out the real-time reckless driving and replaced it with answering questions in menus to catch the suspects.
But the real fun was in the character customization screen. You could pick between being a human boy or girl in police uniforms, and then next to that was an anthro police dog in uniform.
And then in the locked characters menu they had this drawing of a bunch of other police dogs, and I joked that you had all of them in the driver's seat. And then next to that was the option to play as a snake girl.
I woke myself laughing.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:29 PM

I went to a veterinarian's office as part of putting together some research on the practical uses of artificial muscles in animals. The vet's assistant pinned me down to a table while the vet explained they were going to put some spacers in my muscles in order to make me look bulkier, thus "discouraging alpha males from asserting dominance by unnecessarily doing your manual labor for you." I stopped to consider that - I'm perfectly happy to let other people do my work, but I'd never thought about it in those terms - until the vet started massaging my foot with something like a very, very weak stun gun. I realized he was using electrical acupressure in place of traditional anesthetic and suddenly woke up in self-defense.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:07 PM
Senhor Member

That is truly fantastic.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 AM

Mario is Missing, but Luigi turned to the mafia for help instead of looking on his own.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:02 AM
Senhor Member

Past few months of dreams I vaguely remember:

-Brother and dad and I get mad at people doing a photo shoot or something in front of our... flower arrangements, or something

-My boss is my drug dealer and she deals me some drugs in front of cameras at work, oh no. (I don’t do drugs IRL; thank u dreamverse for warning me of a peril)

-A night ago, I was just traveling in Northern Morocco to Ceuta.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:16 PM
BAG

It seems like whenever I do something I really enjoy (like working on my Halloween costume) and I do it right before bed I have trouble getting to sleep, out of overexcitement.

But I thought I was supposed to put off the unnecessary things and do the necessary things first. Calvin and Hobbes even did a Sunday comic on it.

So, am I supposed to have fun as soon as I get home from work and put off the laundry and dishes to the last minute? That sounds even less responsible!
Old 10-21-2018, 08:58 PM
Toothsome!

Last night I dreamed that I had an assignment due for a university art class, and for some reason I'd been given eight years to finish it, but I still waited until the last minute and was scrambling to put something half-assed together.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:20 AM
till the sheriff stops by

11 years after university, I still have "didn't show up for class all semester" dreams.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:57 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
12 years after university, I still have "didn't show up for class all semester" dreams.
(except half the time, mine are about high school)
Old 10-22-2018, 04:02 PM
Senhor Member

Feels weird that I've only had a dream like that, like, once.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:04 PM
Senhor Member

Here's something I barely remember from recently:

I was at the foot of my stairs at night, having trouble getting up and moving, and I was or had to listen to podcasts. Really can't remember whether listening to the podcasts per se was unpleasant but in general, not a fun experience, as most dreams are kind of uncomfortable.

Tags
dreams , physiology , psychology , sleep