The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 08-15-2018, 07:33 PM
hang high, soft star

Holy fucking shitballs, Loved to Death is DWRD's best album by leaps and bounds, and that's saying a lot considering how much I liked their other stuff. It tightens up every single thing that they needed to work on to make their songs absolutely nuclear, and it absolutely pays off. This is the level they have been working to achieve and it rules.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:49 PM
We just don't know.

I don't know why I never clicked on this thread before but I am KICKING myself for it right now, holy shit

So, I'm not good at getting into music. I tend to find a genre I like and listen to, like, youtube mixes and recommendations of things in them. For a while it was postrock, which did lead me to finding some bands I enjoyed enough to specifically seek out their discographies (Tides From Nebula and God is an Astronaut). That also led me to bands like HEALTH, and I'm on the verge of getting into the Glitch Mob. So my taste has (had?) slowly been veering away from Explosions in the Sky style postrock into more electronic stuff for years, aided by a few bands like Anamanaguchi and the electronic bent to pop lately (I really like CHVRCHES).

Lately, the last couple-six months, I've really been liking... synthwave? I guess? This kind of stuff. Some of it explicitly in the 1980s vein, like a few random songs or albums by Miami Nights 1984, but also just random stuff. I still mainly listen to long compilation videos from channels like Odysseus and don't know anything about individual bands or anything.

This isn't an ask for recommendations, I think, since there are roughly one million in this thread already (though if you have any, let me know). I'm just rambling. But I've got a few queued up here (Deadlife - Bionic Chrysalis and Loved to Death have open tabs right now) and I am feeling ready to rock.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:35 AM
HAMKING

I'm mostly into metal and hardcore, but select synthwave stuff has bitten hard into me. GoST and Perturbator got to me first. I just picked up the new DWtD and Deadlife and those are fucking amazing, as well.

There is actually a lot of crossover fan-wise between metal and synthwave, some of which shows up in some of the visual aesthetic of certain synthwave albums and some of which shows up in the actual music itself (esp. GoST and DWtD).
Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I mentioned Meteor a while ago, and his entire schtick is homaging 80's horror movie soundtracks (though it's all original compositions) so that may be up your alley. His latest album is pretty good, though not quite on the level of DwtD or Perturbator.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:52 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

I can't believe I've never come in this thread before! Queued up some stuff people have linked, but nothing new really stuck with me yet (though this Dance with the Dead thing is pretty good so far). My favorite artist is probably Carpenter Brut with Perturbator coming in second. I actually decided to skip a concert Carpenter Brut was doing here because I'm lame.

Anyway here's one recommendation: Big Black Delta is more on the synthpop side than synthwave, but I also haven't listened to his newest album yet. Found him through Halt and Catch Fire in like, season 1 I think. EDIT: wow, his second album is way different so far. Very ambient.

Last edited by YangusKhan; 08-17-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:51 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I'm new to this genre, sorta. Com Truise was my first exposure to "synthwave" and I think "Galactic Melt" is a great album. The funkiness hooked me.

Then came "Direct Memory Access" by Master Boot Record, and "Invaders" by Hollywood Burns, which are both forever albums (meaning I will revisit these albums forever, they're so good).

Deadlife, Future Fate, and the latest EP by Perturbator are part of my collection too. I'm still figuring out what I like.

Gost's latest album may end up in my collection soon. Like the latest EP by Perturbator, it escapes the tropes I can tell are common among almost all synthwave artists. Those albums go beyond, and do something weirder and different.

Deadlife too, I think breaks the mold a little by having really solid hooks, plus a little more complex song structures. I'm not as familiar with the second album (yet), but "Bionic Chrysalis" works as an album, and not just a collection of tracks. I think that's his thing though, trying to do the synth-concept album thing, which is absolutely fine with me.

I mean, I could be wrong, I don't really know this genre well, I'm just posting impressions. Sorry, rambling, it's late. Lots to explore in this wonderful genre!

edit: Ok Gost's "Behemoth" and "Non Paradisi" are in my collection now. I'm sure "Possessor" will follow soon, but I need time to digest all this murder music.

super edit: And not everything has to be brutal. These two Evil Squad EPs by Raydar (first one and second one) are spooky, but also groovy. There are some tracks that are most definitely worth hearing (be sure to check out "Satan" on the first EP!) But Raydar isn't just doing horror themed stuff, the album "Neon Graffiti" has a much groovier and funkier vibe than the ocean of retrowave and darkwave albums out there and would be a good party album. It might sound more like Daft Punk? Not that I'm too familiar with Daft Punk, but still, I might pick that one up eventually. It has a lot of really cool tracks.

Last edited by Sir Sly Ry; 08-22-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:49 PM
nothing spatial

Old 08-20-2018, 03:10 PM
nothing spatial

Also, while I'm on an Apop kick

Old 08-22-2018, 02:55 PM

Okay it took me a second listening, but I've come around to Deadlife pretty well. Also, Dance with the Dead is really great driving music even if it does kind of run together a little, imo.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:45 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Yeah, I knew Deadlife's "Bionic Chrysalis" was pretty good after the first listen, but I was also like, "ehh not really sure if it's a keeper." But by the end of the second listen I knew I had found something really special. I think it's in the top 3 of my synth collection right now (which is still small, I'm new to this). I can't compare the first Deadlife album to the second, as I've only heard the second one once, but "The Order of Chaos" will be in my collection before too long. I just like to take time to absorb things, and "Bionic Chrysalis" is worth the time.

I mentioned I picked up a couple of Gost albums in the previous post of mine. I'll get the third before too long as well. I listened to "Behemoth" a lot at work on Monday and Tuesday. I listened to "Non Paradisi" a lot at work today. "Behemoth" is good and catchy and I really like some of the material on there, but it's so very simple. It almost sounds like baby's first synthwave album compared to "Possessor." "Non Paradisi" has a more cohesive sound and sounds more mature and accomplished compared to "Behemoth." Not sure which I like better, but I'm thinking "Non Paradisi" overall is the stronger album. Some of those tracks sound HEAVILY inspired by the original Doom score, and, well, it just fucking works.

edit, three weeks later: that closing track on "Bionic Chrysalis" almost brings me to tears when I listen to it. I don't know why, just something about it moves me.

Last edited by Sir Sly Ry; 09-12-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:34 PM
Everything Is A Cave

i felt the same way about bionic chrysalis; i didnt think i really liked it on first listen but i went back and gave it a good listen and it really stuck with me

side project from MASTER BOOT RECORD, this one is pretty cool
Old 09-05-2018, 04:52 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

By the way, thanks Mokrap for nudging me into taking a second look at GosT. This guy is like my favorite right now. Just got "Possessor" last evening. It's pretty freakin' badass. I've been spinning "Non Paradisi" so much the past week or so, that album is so cool. "Possessor" kicks up the darkness and weirdness, and definitely breaks away from the standard mold of synth/retrowave, but "Non Paradisi" is deliciously macabre. I realize the sound appeals to me a lot because I'm a metalhead to my core, but man, what a rad artist.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:27 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelfire View Post
i felt the same way about bionic chrysalis; i didnt think i really liked it on first listen but i went back and gave it a good listen and it really stuck with me

side project from MASTER BOOT RECORD, this one is pretty cool
I think someone nees to get these guys to score a horror movie. Or game. Or REALLY over the top melodrama (any medium).
Old 09-14-2018, 04:01 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephine View Post
Holy fucking shitballs, Loved to Death is DWRD's best album by leaps and bounds, and that's saying a lot considering how much I liked their other stuff. It tightens up every single thing that they needed to work on to make their songs absolutely nuclear, and it absolutely pays off. This is the level they have been working to achieve and it rules.
I'm glad you mentioned this, because I'm spinning it now. What I heard of their previous material didn't grab me, but this one has my attention. I'm not too familiar with their work overall, but this seems to have the ebb and flow in the songwriting that I'm looking for, compared to what I heard before. I think I'll add this one to my collection and pay attention to whatever they come up with next.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:49 PM
We just don't know.

So I went ahead and bought a bunch of stuff. I got the full discography for Dance with the Dead, I picked up Bionic Chrysalis by DEADLIFE, and World Eater by Blanck Mass (I dunno if that counts as Synth?)

Since then discovered another DEADLIFE album, and then I started hitting genre tags on Bandcamp and discovered I seem to like "Darksynth" the best at least right now and I found Perturbator, which is fuckin' rad. Must find moooooooore
Old 09-15-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Must find moooooooore
For real; can't get enough.

Perturbator and DwtD are right up my alley too (I still need to check out Deadlife), so you might consider the following (in no particular order):
* Carpenter Brut (Trilogy in particular)
* Dan Terminus
* GosT
* Hollywood Burns
* Vulta (Sigils in particular)
* Occam's Laser
* Monomer
* Megadrive
* Master Boot Record

And then there's also the soundtracks to the Deus Ex games.

Also, I'm really digging the track The Last Stand by Carbon Killer.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Everything Is A Cave

when im looking for new music, i usually click the recommended stuff that pops up from youtube, whether its mixes or full albums; sometimes just based on what thumbnail looks best (its how i chose DEADLIFE !)

so here's some cool stuff:

this guy has a 24hr stream of various synth music, plus has daily uploads of all kinds of cool stuff:

Old 09-17-2018, 04:45 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

@Paul: Glad you're digging Deadlife. I haven't gotten "The Order of Chaos" yet, but I'm going to eventually, based on the strength of the first album. "Bionic Chrysalis" is fairly dense, definitely sounds more "progressive" than your typical house-beat retrowave. I also like that Deadlife isn't trapped by the '80s sonic aesthetic. I mean yeah, it's all synthy and keyboardy, but I guess the melodies and riffs sound modern even if the instrumentation sounds old school. It's just damn good stuff.

Perturbator's "Uncanny Valley" is great, it has complex arrangements and it sounds like a concept album. I really dig it. But I was a bit spoiled by "New Model." "New Model" sounds so different from most of the synth I've heard so far and really takes it to the next level. I hope he keeps pushing his boundaries with his next full-length.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:36 AM
Everything Is A Cave

new MASTER BOOT RECORD teased
Old 09-29-2018, 05:52 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Future Fate dropped a new EP a few days ago. "Mechanism"

It's short but sweet. As soon as the beat kicks in on the first tracks, I was sold instantly. Such a slick, sick groove. It's so motherfucking cool. This EP is a little sparser and bleaker than the "Fat Synthesizer" EP, but that's not necessarily a criticism.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:46 PM
We just don't know.

I discovered Trilogy by Carpenter Brut and goddamn! Almost certainly buying that one soon.

I've also been particularly hooked on both of DEADLIFE's albums, and picked up Dumb Flesh by Blanck Mass too.

I'm dropping money on bandcamp left and right, but there's so much more to discover!
Old 10-03-2018, 04:11 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

I'm glad to hear of y'all supporting folks via Bandcamp. I've done so as well for synth artists I like and I think it's a pretty rad platform for stuff like this
Old 10-05-2018, 09:58 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Yeah all the synthwave stuff I own I got from bandcamp. I was skimpy at first, for a few name your own price albums, not sure if I'd actually really enjoy the genre. Since then I've been a little more liberal with what I'll give, because this music is just so good and I want good artists to succeed.

Oh and hey, new Master Boot Record is out. "Virus.DOS" bandcamp link

Here's the youtube link if you just want to spin it first.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Yeah, same, wrt Bandcamp.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:22 AM

Occams Laser - Occult 88 is a very nice follow up to Occult 86 and 87.

Plenty of hypnotic, brooding atmosphere.

EDIT:

And I just got an email about a discount:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occams Laser
My album OCCULT 88 launched this week. This album brings an end to my ‘Occult Trilogy’ (86, 87 & 88).

To mark the occasion there is 30% off of anything and everything on my bandcamp page (occamslaser.bandcamp.com) with the code ‘occult’ at the checkout.

{also if you’re feeling extra cheeky; this discount can be stacked with my discography which is already discounted by 50%}

A huge thank you to every single one of you who has supported my music over the years! 11 albums & 9 EP’s so far however we’ve only just begun...

Last edited by Ted; 10-05-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: discount code
Old 10-08-2018, 04:14 PM
Everything Is A Cave

this came out a bit back but Lorn is a great artist:

Bandcamp
Old 10-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I just rewatched Hoosiers and now this is all I want to listen to:

Side note: I listened to this while working out yesterday and it made me too strong and I wrecked several machines.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:48 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I don't know if y'all have listened to Irving Force yet, but you should. John Carpenter type synth with a raw, rockin', groovy approach. These first two EPs are excellent.

Undercover EP
The Violence Suppressor EP

Ever had a tune make you teary because the music just has this sort of powerful melancholy? Well, that, except that it made me teary and grin like an idiot because it's so motherfucking cool.

Godmode LP
Old 10-19-2018, 10:04 AM

The soundtrack to the new Halloween movie is out now.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:11 PM
Everything Is A Cave

new DEADLIFE out, Variations on the Resolve

Bandcamp

Tags
cool stuff , electronic music , nerds , synthesizers