The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 09-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Bob

Earlier this summer I went to the Jack Daniels distillery. I have never partaken in whiskey before, we bought a bottle of their Tennessee Fire and I've been enjoying it slowly. Actually really good and the spicy kick feels like a Goldilocks situation where it isn't too much or too little but just right.

I'm still enjoying some sour beers/Goses. As usual the Illinois local beer Destihl makes some great sours, just recently tried both the Blueberry Gose and the Lynnbrook, liked the Blueberry a lot and Lynnbrook only some. Off Color Brewing does some collaborations with the Field Museum here in Chicago, including one I'm going through now that's Chicha de Molle inspired ale called Wari. Pretty awesome stuff that tastes like beer with some sour fruit in it, hard to describe!

I was also lucky enough to take a trip to Cincinatti and discovered Rhinegeist beer. Sadly it isn't sold in Chicago, but they make a whole range of some pretty great beers which I got to try a flight of at their distillery. My favorite was Press Tart, a collaboration with a nearby arcade bar that's a fruit beer, but the Peach Dodo, Semi Dry Hard Cider, and Bubbles were all great too.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Pretty sure I've had some tasty things from Destihl, at least whatever they manage to distribute out this far. (Technically we have a separate Beer thread, which I've been sadly negligent in posting in this year. My therapist is right across the street from a bottle shop so I've been trying several new beers every week and it's a lot to keep up with, though it all goes in my Untappd feed.) (Insta-edit: Lol, Umby you did the exact same thing last year, and we were talking about Destihl then too!)

Meanwhile in other alcoholic beverage news, a friend of mine is currently on a cruise and I was insanely jealous of the ship's spiked milkshake menu she showed me, so I made my own: peanut butter frozen custard, milk, creme de cacao, and raspberry schnapps, whipped together in the Magic Bullet vibeblender. Delish.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:26 AM
hidden in snow

I picked up a bottle of Fernet Branca, and have been trying to find cocktails that it meshes well with. I had a drink last time I was in Phoenix that combined mescal, Fernet Branca, Fernet Vallet, and lime juice, and it was a smoky beast. I donít have the bar to recreate that at home, but Iíve tried some simple substitutions. So far the best Iíve found is switching out a quarter of the Campari for Branca in a Negroni, which amplifies the juniper without being consumed by mint and cough syrup.

Anyone have some good recipes for these weird bitters?
Old 12-13-2018, 05:37 PM
hidden in snow

Iíve been experimenting with this, and have come up with a good holiday drink that includes Fernet Branca.

1.5oz brandy
1oz kahlua
1oz baileyís
A teaspoon of Branca

Mix together with a ton of ice. Pour into a glass lined with chocolate syrup.

The Fernet complements the sweet chocolate, since they both would overpower the drink on their own. Up the recipe and put it into a punch bowl, and youíve got a party.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:34 PM
kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I picked up a bottle of Fernet Branca, and have been trying to find cocktails that it meshes well with. I had a drink last time I was in Phoenix that combined mescal, Fernet Branca, Fernet Vallet, and lime juice, and it was a smoky beast. I donít have the bar to recreate that at home, but Iíve tried some simple substitutions. So far the best Iíve found is switching out a quarter of the Campari for Branca in a Negroni, which amplifies the juniper without being consumed by mint and cough syrup.

Anyone have some good recipes for these weird bitters?
Where at? Undertow or something? I haven't been there yet.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:20 AM
hidden in snow

No, this was at the lobby bar at the Renaissance downtown, I think itís called Dust Cutter. I love UnderTow though, their menu is on point.

For non Phoenicians, UnderTow is a tiki bar built out of the oil change pit in an old service center. Its decor is the hold of a 19th century clipper ship returning from Polynesia, with portholes and barrels and tiki everywhere. Itís dark and cool, and if you go in the summertime, after a couple potent rum drinks youíll forget that itís 110 degrees upstairs.

Take a Myst-like tour on their website though they have the lights on so you can see the details.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:19 PM
Not a Beer

Tonight I had a kitchen adventure that could really go in "Brag about what you cooked" as well, but it *is* ultimately a drink, so..

This is Boilo, an old family recipe from a friend who didnít have time to make it this winter. Itís delicious. Goes great in hot tea. Used half a gallon of whiskey and like 70 freakin ounces of honey, in addition to a ton of fruits and spices. My whole dang kitchen was sticky afterward. Worth it. This batch will last me ages, even after I give a quarter to the friend who gave me the recipe and another quarter to other friends probably.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:07 PM
We just don't know.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:28 PM
Not a Beer

I mean I dunno if I'm at liberty to paste in the actual family recipe, but it's pretty much all there in the pics and I'm sure you can make up your own variations of the exact spices and fruit. Basically you boil everything *except* the alcohol for at least half an hour (there's like a nominal pint of water to thin out the metric shitload of honey, but you also end up with a ton of fruit juice in there - you wanna quarter and squeeze the citrus but then dump the whole bits in as well). Then obviously strain it all and add a ton of whiskey. Divide into containers, cool and refrigerate.

My kitchen smelled fantastic every time I walked into it for the next day.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:15 AM

i decided to try something an it turns out that root beer, cheap scotch, and peppermint schnapps is an enjoyable drink thats all
Old 02-04-2019, 12:24 PM
hidden in snow

I wanted a lighter cocktail with a bit of a kick last night, so made a Mule variation. Mezcal, ginger beer, St. Germain, dash of celery bitters. If I had cucumber it would've gone perfectly as a garnish. The elderflower sweetness balanced out the smoky and sharp mezcal and ginger, and the celery bitters was just to make it fancy.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:02 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I'm drinking again.

Hitting up every bar in the county looking for which one makes the best Whiskey Sour!

Read all about it!
Old 04-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Not a Beer

Frozen mango mohitos are delicious, ideally served on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. That is all.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:01 PM
King Of Space-Time

The original Coca~Cola, minus the coca leaves for obvious reasons.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:43 PM
hidden in snow

Plane travel was a mess yesterday due to fallout from Sundayís snowfall in Chicago, and my itinerary was diverted through Denver, with a 3 hour layover. I was able to go to an awesome restaurant, Root Down, and sampled their Beet Down cocktail. Gin, aperol, beet juice, lemon juice, sprig of mint. It was essentially a lightly fruity negroni, and it was a great combination of bitter, sweet and tart. Iíve been thinking about making borscht recently, and if I do I may dig out the juicer and get a beet down of my own.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:17 PM
You must whip it

I just made a shandy with Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA and pink grapefruit juice. I don't think this will be the last one I have this summer. So refreshing!

Edit: I meant a radler, as a coworker was keen to remind me on FB.

Last edited by Issun; 05-09-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Tags
alcohol , classy shit , im drnuk already , intoxication nation