The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Default Periodic Water Loss in Appalachia: Fallout 76

I just finished playing the last session of the beta, and have some thoughts / tips for the full release in a week:
  • Maybe do the main quest for a bit? There is a main quest. I spent my entire time not knowing some very basic crafting recipes (i.e. any way to get water reliably) because I ignored it. Don't be like me!
  • Man, it's weird to not have any human NPCs, but there ARE robot NPCs. Even some shops! Though caps are very rare now, and you might want to save them for fast travel.
  • Fast travel costs caps now! Except for your C.A.M.P., which is free! The game outright tells you to move your camp if you're going to explore in a new location, because not having to hoof it is good.
  • Food and water are not as big a deal as I feared. You definitely want to keep them filled, if possible, but dehydration, at least, only amounts to max AP penalties and very gradual HP loss. I was actually able to recover HP while napping even with the HP loss.
  • Diseases! Most of them seem like they won't be world-ending, but dysentery is a pain in the ass. Thread title's a reference to it. Dysentery, at least, lasted an hour, and kept me dehydrated right up until the end of beta session, even though I had long recovered. So, you know, take the time to cook your food and boil your water, don't be me! Being dehydrated or starving for a little bit is better than having to deal with dysentery.
  • Everything's level-locked! You can even find higher level version of equipment. This seems pretty limited, but I definitely saw both a level 5 and level 10 combat knife.
  • Armor works with any piece of clothing! If the clothing you're wearing was too big (read: not skin-tight) for armor in Fallout 4, it now just doesn't render the armor. The justification is that you're just wearing the armor under your clothes.
  • The last power armor you wore is assigned to you. You can stash it into your inventory, and the game will even auto-stash it for you if you wander off too far from it. You can deploy the armor from your inventory and use it as if it were Fallout 4 power armor, or you can drop it to unlink it from you. You know, in case you want to give someone your power armor, for some reason. Power armor pieces are level-locked, too. If you find a power armor frame, and it has pieces you can't wear, transfer the pieces into your inventory. The frame is wearable by anyone, and still increases your strength and stuff. You'll need a fusion core to get any real use out of it, so... good luck with that. I never found a core.
  • Your stuff is safe from other players! Mostly! Your C.A.M.P. and containers will just open to the other player's inventory if someone else accesses them. Other players can use facilities you build, too. Some facilities, though, generate resources, and players can steal those. You can build any quality of lock you have the resources for, and lock your stuff up. If a player picks the lock, they'll become wanted, and your defenses will go hostile on them. Non-player enemies don't seem to be able to pick locks, though they can destroy walls very slowly. I've taken a nap while under siege thanks to a locked door to my bed without issue. Enemies don't seem to intentionally launch raids on your C.A.M.P., but you can lead them back to it (accidentally or otherwise).
  • I have NO idea what happens to any structures you built when you move your C.A.M.P.!
  • The build menu is a lot better now, imo! It's split up into categories like walls, floors, crafting, generators, etc. The categories are further split. Like, if you look at the standard 2x2 floor panel, you can scroll through every individual kind of 2x2 floor panel. There's a separate modify mode, too, so you no longer accidentally pick existing stuff up when you're trying pick a thing to build. The modify mode is how you lock things, for the record.
  • Lots of new monsters! I saw the Scorched, weird hive-minded ghouls that use firearms; giant ticks; anglers, weird fire-spitting angler fish that have evolved big-ass muscly land bodies; and last but not least MOTHMAN!!!
  • Loot is unique for individual players. Containers and corpses will spawn items for each individual person, even if you aren't partied up with them. Stuff just laying around in the game world pre-placed is NOT unique to each player, though. It still seems to respawn eventually, but I have no idea how fast.
  • This game's less buggy than most Bethesda games, what with running on the Fallout 4 engine and not having a large number of NPCs. But I still ran into some quests / events that I couldn't complete the objective for, or had no idea what to do to trigger completion.
  • People exist! It's weird! I had a very loose acquaintance with another player. We didn't group up or anything, but you can hear gunfire from pretty far away, so we kept swooping in to rescue each other from tough situations.
  • There's a microtransaction shop... The recurring little "challenges" from New Vegas and Fallout 4 now reward you with currency for that shop. It's mostly cosmetic stuff, reskins, gestures, clothing - that kind of thing. In my time with the beta, I earned enough atoms to buy several things, but I didn't see anything I wanted too much.

PVP Primer
Since I know this is the thing that will make or break the game for many people, I decided to give it a section of its own. There are three levels of PVP:
  1. NO DAMAGE: If you are in a party with someone, participating in an event someone else is also participating in, or have your pacifist flag on around someone, you cannot deal damage to them. Feel free to go crazy with the explosives!
  2. REDUCED DAMAGE: If your pacifist flag is off, and someone has not dealt damage to you yet, you deal heavily reduced damage to them. IMPORTANT NOTE: having your pacifist flag on does not prevent players from attacking you - they can still deal reduced damage to you if they don't also have their pacifist flag on!
  3. FULL DAMAGE: If you have shot someone, and they shot back, or vice versa, it's full damage PVP time! I understand that you're level-balanced for this, but have not confirmed it personally.

If you die in full-damage PVP, the same thing happens to you as dying to an enemy - you drop all your Junk-type items (crafting materials if you haven't played Fallout 4) into a paper bag, and can respawn at any fast travel point you know. Other players can loot your paper bag, regardless of how you died. If you died in PVP you can go into a revenge mode that helps you track down your killer. Or you can just let it go.

If someone kills you in reduced-damage PVP, they get nothing. You respawn as normal, but without losing items. The player that killed you gets a bounty placed on their head, are identified with a red star on everyone's map, and can no longer see other players on their own map.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 11-08-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:52 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I get that it's a thing that exists for balance reasons (especially in MMORPGs like this), but I have never liked level locked gear. I just want to pick up and use anything I find without having to worry about meeting a "You have to be X levels high to be not stupid enough to use this sword that works just like every other sword" quota.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:57 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that bit either.
I had a Pocketed Girded Leather Left Leg I couldn't equip. Apparently all those pockets and girdings confused me too much to replace my normal Leather Left Leg. I was also too dumb to use the regular hunting rifle I found, despite short hunting rifles being incredibly common level 1 weapons.

it's... really bizarre to have several hundred more .308 rounds than any other ammo type

Last edited by LancerECNM; 11-08-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:23 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

So if someone shoots at me they need me to shoot back or they don't get anything for killing me?
Old 11-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
So if someone shoots at me they need me to shoot back or they don't get anything for killing me?
Yep! It literally just makes their life harder.
Naturally, the Ark/Rust/Day Z crowd is super upset about this because it means the game is "catering to the casuals."

Last edited by LancerECNM; 11-09-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:46 AM

Chances of me getting this just went up by like 500%
Old 11-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

There's also a player block mechanic that straight-up just prevents that player from interacting with you, as I understand.

I think a big problem this game will face is, uh, who is this game for? Like, I'm on board for building a cabin in the woods and exploring abandoned locations. But there aren't a lot of NPCs or quests, so the typical appeal of Fallout isn't relevant. Thanks to the ability to pick locks and the very forgiving lockpicking mechanics, it's impossible to stop a determined player from raiding your base, so large player-maintained bases seem impractical. And even once you're in full-damage PVP, the combat isn't as lethal as something like Day Z, so the PVP's not even that fun. Imagine that two Bethesda protagonists were having a fight, tanking explosions and headshots, chugging damage reduction and healing the whole time: that's what the PVP looks like.

I'm excited to see more of West Virginia, though. It's definitely the most alive with nature a Fallout game has ever been. I spent about a fourth of my time trekking through forests. Living forests! With small animals! That I mostly killed for food!
Old 11-13-2018, 06:08 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

This is out now! It's not supposed to be! But you can play it!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I was pretty enthusiastic for Fallout 76. Once I figured out the plot reason why there were no human NPCs, I was totally down for it. A couple of the events were fun. But then my stash filled up, and I no longer had the space for additional weapons or crafting components. And then two quests in a row proved to have broken event flags. One of them required me to interact with an object that had to collision dats. Another placed an objective marker several feet underneath the world, and when I figured out where it should have been pointing and picked up the relevant quest items, nothing happened.

Now I'm wondering why I'm playing a game where I can't stockpile resources to maintain my constantly degrading weapons and home base, nor can I engage with any of the stories of the world. Taking that away, there's no reason for me to not play Fallout 4 instead.

I've got a folder full of screenshots from various areas taken using the built-in camera mode to prove I gave this game a fair shake. Probably more fair than most. This game isn't as bad as every angry YouTuber says it is. But you still shouldn't buy it. I shouldn't have bought it.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 11-14-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:35 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Hey did you like Fallout 4? Well here it is again, but multiplayer, and with new bugs.

Anyway I'm into it. Fallout 4 was disappointing, but it had some good mechanics. Unfortunately they brought the whole base building thing back, which is lame, but I'm gonna just keep my "CAMP" as rudimentary as possible and fight everyone.

I actually REALLY like the SPECIAL changes? You can change your build kinda whenever, and you start with all stats at 1. So in 3/NV/4, I would plan around a gun-centric build and have a build planned out right from the jump that I was locked into. But now it's...like, I'm still doing that, but my character has to GROW into it due to leveling up stats and the random card drops. And on top of that, there's still a purpose for me having melee weapons at this level since I'm just as good with them as anyone else would be. It's cool, I'm into it.

It's weird playing on PC as the menus are clearly designed for controllers, but I'll get used to it.

I forgot VATS was in this game and haven't used it once *thumbs up*

I'm actually pretty curious what an end game build will look like. All of the stats have useful perks, and you can level up to 50 so it seems like you'll have a lot of flexibility. But a lot of the perks have multiple levels, so it's not clear to me if you should focus in a few areas or spread yourself out. We'll see, I guess...
Old 11-15-2018, 11:47 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

How does VATS work in an online game?
Old 11-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

there's no freezing or slowdown, you just get the interface.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:20 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Interesting. The slowed time is the main reason I used it in Fallout 4 (and only when things got really chaotic), so I'd probably avoid it in 76.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

It does have a useful quirk for melee combat - VATS works for it from farther away, so you can use it as a dash attack.

Waiting for patches before I play any more.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:36 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
It does have a useful quirk for melee combat - VATS works for it from farther away, so you can use it as a dash attack.

Waiting for patches before I play any more.
Really?! I didn't go melee because I didn't think that would make it in. ...I have to think about this...I already got one Iron Fist card...Kenshiro can live again...

It sucks with guns, honestly, at least at first. It just auto aims and I think it has crit chance but you can't target limbs unless you get an upgrade. It's basically just temporary auto-aim.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:50 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I was wrong, VATS is useful. Highly recommend taking the "Food doesn't give RADs" perk and the ones that make water and food more effective. Scrounger is also useful, and I've definitely got my eye on that "food items weigh 30% less" perk because MAN. MAN I feel like I run out of carry weight every 2 seconds. I don't know what to do; I store all my junk/scraps, store a bunch of aid items, and only have a handful of guns and...I'm still nearly always maxed. It's nuts....
Old 11-17-2018, 09:37 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Okay so heads up if anyone's playing this: there's THREE damage perks for each weapon type, meaning you need AT LEAST 9 perks in your chosen weapon type. And each weapon type has other perks associated with it as well, so like...1/4 of your total points AT LEAST is gonna go into just making your gun work. ...pretty...cool...

Also your Stash has a LIMIT?!? Which I already hit...and I'm having a harder time managing equipment/weight in this than in any other FO I've played...Dear Lord...
Old 11-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Yep, that stash limit is the worst. Apparently there's a technical reason for it. Looks like it'll be one of the major things they're focusing on fixing, alongside adding a FOV slider and Push-to-Talk for PC. I had to start selling junk in a game about collecting junk. Best part: scrapped junk is worthless. You have to sell unscrapped junk.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 11-17-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:48 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Yeah I kinda just stopped collecting stuff. I mean, I have a ton of stuff already, and once I work through what I have, I'll start up again. I'm not interested in the base building at all, so I really only need stuff for repairs/upgrades.

Honestly, once I made the mental connection that I needed to stop treating this like Fallout (hoard EVERYthing, EVERY single thing, this weapon is not really the kind I use but it's cool so I'm gonna add it to my stash) and started treating it like an MMO (this weapon/armor is only gonna last for 5 levels, I don't use laser weapons I'm gonna sell this or break it down, don't focus on getting stuff you don't need only pick up stuff you're short on), it got way easier to manage.

Also...I mean, I get why it's all robots and there's no NPCs...but also I TOTALLY don't get it? I started a quest chain that had someone speaking to me over a speaker, and then you go meet them and they're a robot. I mean, okay...I get that since it's an online multiplayer game, you can't have in depth conversations with NPCs while other players are there so there's no conversation systems...but if all you're doing is walking up to them and pressing one button, why can't the NPC be a human instead of a robot? Why does that matter?

Same thing, I started a different quest chain that has you doing missions for a secret society of crime fighters based on a radio show character that's run out of a mansion; a very Fallout-esque thing to have happen. But when you get to their HQ there's no one there, and all the missions are given out via audio logs and computer terminals. Why can't it just be a person you press one button at and then ALSO computer terminals and logs?

The whole thing is just strange. It reminds me of Dark Souls in that all the "big" stuff has already happened and you're showing up once the party is over. But unlike Dark Souls, there's kinda no reason why EVERYONE has to be dead at this point in the story, you know? They just...are. It's also super weird that there are these new Scorched enemies; they're essentially ghouls with guns, in addition to the normal ghouls. And I get that the whole "Scorch" thing is a party of this game's story, so sure put them in there. But they seem to have fully replaced "Raiders" in this game. You find Raider corpses and Settler corpses everywhere, but there's no towns with people and no Raiders anywhere.

I guess they're trying to establish that this "Scorch" thing is a huge problem and it's turned or killed everyone, but again it just feels weird. Everything in the game was taken from Fallout 4, and you see the corpses like I said, so they HAVE the assests already. They're just not using them...very weird...

Anyway I like the game but some of the choices they made are very friggin' strange
Old 11-18-2018, 04:54 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Oh yeah, I bet we'll see human NPCs come the first major content expansion. I definitely think there should have been a couple survivors from major factions. Like, three or four people in the Responder's HQ, for instance. They could implement the wanted system triggering for killing non-hostile NPCs, and put major NPCs in zones that disable your weapons. Or they could have just made them immortal and immune to damage, like the robots are.

.... fffffuck, now I want to play it more, but the patch to fix the quests I can't complete comes out tomorrow

I seriously hope they patch in some advanced graphics options, too. I'm tired of my view being extremely obscured by fog and the blinding nightmare known as "a sunny day"

EDIT: DID YOU KNOW: you can't trade with a vendor if someone else already is? I've been waiting for this dude to move for like five minutes

EDIT EDIT: Vendors don't put the full amount of caps you just spent into their store. Presumably to intentionally frustrate players with too much shit they don't need because they've reached level 10 impede the caps economy. All I want is to buy some Bulk Aluminum, game, but I can't squeeze enough blood out of this stone to afford it. I could trade this useless junk for it but, OH WAIT, you can no longer barter, ONLY buy and sell.

I [sarcasm]cannot wait[/sarcasm] for most if not all my problems with this game being fixed by convenient microtransactions. Every problem I have with this game is just screaming for microtransactions. I'm just going to say right now that you will be able to spend money to have a "premium" expanded stash. Rare resource packs (adhesive, screws, nuclear materials, aluminum, gears, etc) won't be far behind. Mark my words.
I honestly can't wait for someone to crack this game wide open so I can play it offline with mods.

No game I've ever played before has made me more excited to play it at the beginning of every session, only for me to quit playing every session out of frustration. Like, I wanted this to be my new podcast game. But I should just go back to building my bases up in No Man's Sky. That game isn't designed to ruin its own economy. Never before have I cared about a game's economy! I just want to convert these unique guns I don't need into ammo and stimpacks so I can play the game. But I can't! My whole build is based on mitigating limited resources, only to find out the game is overflowing with resources I don't need!

Last edited by LancerECNM; 11-18-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:59 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get how selling works? I admittedly am not going Charisma, but I was trying to sell something and he'd only give me 20 for it, so I ate grape mentats, equipped the Hard Bargain perk I got in a pack, and used a Charisma bobble head, and took some chem that boosts Charisma by 5...

And he would buy it for 20 caps.

So...I mean, I don't know?! Inventory space continues to be A Problem™...

I still like Fallout but...this game is making it SO HARD to enjoy Fallout
Old 12-18-2018, 05:46 PM
Trinitron Enthusiast

Bethesda: "Despite all the negative publicity about Fallout 76 we want to thank you, our loyal fanbase, who are still playing this game. Therefore, in celebration of the Christmas holiday we will be gifting a Santa outfit DLC. And by gifting we mean charging twenty dollars for it in the online store."
Old 12-18-2018, 06:23 PM
hang high, soft star

This whole game is a Vault-Tec experiment to see who's too clueless to survive the apocalypse. If you've played F76 your eventual app will be mysteriously denied, for "general incompatibility reasons."

Like okay that sounds mean to the people in this thread who played it and that's not what I'm going for, but holy god damn shit how can they keep making this worse. Are they planning on using the dlc money to buy all the canvas bags they need?
Old 12-18-2018, 06:34 PM
I hunt Mondays.

I know that MMORPGs usually get away with stupidly overpriced DLC, but that's a thing that only works when the game is either free-to-play or actually good.

I mean, Bethesda could still turn this game's fortunes around like they did with The Elder Scrolls Online, but as the game is right now how many people are going to be willing to pay $20 worth of caps for a Santa suit in a Fallout-skinned MMORPG where you may never see another person and that's missing so many of the things that make Fallout Fallout?
Old 12-19-2018, 12:16 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephine View Post
holy god damn shit how can they keep making this worse.
my theory is they gave Skyrim eternal youth by sacrificing the development team, and they're trying to pretend they can still make video games so no one notices

it's fine, though, since Obsidian is busy making the game I wanted from a new Fallout
Old 12-19-2018, 05:43 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Yeahhhh pretty much.

I didn't mention it at the time but like a day or two after my last post, I took a "break" from this game because I'd been going at it pretty hard. I went back to it the next day and played it for like 15 minutes and it was like "oh...oh wow, is THIS what I've been doing this whole time?!"

I was so excited for a new Fallout that even though it obviously had problems, I was willing to roll with it. But then I got even a TINY amount of distance and came back to it and it was like oh wow, just wow. This game is really something else, and now this DLC business...

I mean, is this the worst game that's come out in years? Maybe? The game itself has no identity and tries to be like 5 different games at the same time and it just simply doesn't work, but then on top of that there's this DLC business now, and the preorder bonus thing...I dunno, this game...what a mess
Old 12-19-2018, 11:33 AM
I hunt Mondays.

I think I'm just gonna wait and see if Bethesda gives Fallout 76 a mass overhaul before I even consider buying it. Just ain't enough meat on dem bones as is, and if my Fallout itch* needs scratching I have 3, 4, New Vegas, and Shelter** at my disposal.

* I wish Bethesda would strike a deal with Beamdog so they could put the first two games on mobile like they have with the DnD stuff. I wants classic wasteland wandering on my phone.

** Started playing this again. Mobile this time, not PS4. I'm running survival this time and I'm hoping that maybe Vault 444 will unlock the Stimpack making room before everybody dies to the constant fires and radroach infestations. Just need to get to 14 living dwellers...*sigh*

EDIT: And now my vault is down to a little girl who can do fuck all and a guy who was out exploring the wasteland, all because I wanted to restock my water faster. Oh well, at least I know now that I should prioritize upgrading rooms (which I forgot about) over expanding them.

Last edited by MetManMas; 12-19-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
it's fine, though, since Obsidian is busy making the game I wanted from a new Fallout
Prettyyyy much. I'm not expecting anything out of Bethesda anymore. If they decide at some point in the future to make good RPGs again that aren't dumbed down, and with a story worth a damned, I'll be back, but I'll be looking forward to Obsidian's next work and the next Dragon Age game instead.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:18 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Congratulations to Lancer, myself and probably like no one else: Bethesda is gonna give away Fallout 1/2/Tactics if you bought 76 sometime early next year.

I mean, that doesn't excuse all of this but I'll take it, sure
Old 12-22-2018, 11:25 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Congratulations to Lancer, myself and probably like no one else: Bethesda is gonna give away Fallout 1/2/Tactics if you bought 76 sometime early next year.

I mean, that doesn't excuse all of this but I'll take it, sure

i already own all of those

Old 12-22-2018, 11:28 AM

Me too! I didn't even need to buy 76 to get them, either.

Tags
bethesda is bad actually , fallout