The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-06-2019, 06:36 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Kaguya-sama: Love is War continues to keep things varied and fresh, and episode 4 might be my favourite yet.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

That last episode of Mob Psycho almost felt like a season finale, but we're actually on what, Ep 5? I assume it's because they're sticking closely to arcs in the manga, which I haven't read...
Old 02-07-2019, 02:23 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Amazon Primes Anime section is about as dire as their cartoon section, but itís got both Street Fighter 2 and Robot Carnival, so Iím willing to forgive a lot.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:28 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
so Iím willing to forgive a lot.
... CAUSE YOU'RE MY BROTHER! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 02-07-2019, 03:49 PM
Mystery Contraption

That movie did more to make me like E.Honda than Capcom ever did, just by making him a frigginí weirdo.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
That movie did more to make me like E.Honda than Capcom ever did, just by making him a frigginí weirdo.
Ideal Street Fighter movie: E. Honda from Street Fighter 2: The Movie, Zangief and Raul Julia from Street Fighter the Movie and Dan from the games. Cast list over.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Amazon Primes Anime section is about as dire as their cartoon section, but itís got both Street Fighter 2 and Robot Carnival, so Iím willing to forgive a lot.
Prime does a really shitty job of letting you know what they have, but they've got a decent catalog that's on par with Netflix. Things you could be watching on Prime:
  • GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
  • Fist of the North Star: The Movie
  • Jin-Roh
  • 80s Astro Boy
  • Blue Exorcist (it's a little silly with a few problems, but I liked it)
  • Cromartie High School
  • Samurai Pizza Cats
  • Land of the Lustrous
  • Slam Dunk
  • Pop Team Epic
  • The Original Macross
  • Girl's Last Tour
  • Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer
  • Kick-Heart
  • RahXephon
  • The Great Passage
  • Goodnight Stories From the Life of Prophet Muhammad

All of these are like, pretty good to GO WATCH NAO levels of anime and would take most people a while to get through.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:08 PM

OK, but (and I'm not certain where you live) are all of these on Amazon Prime in Canada? Because I don't know if the selection is one-to-one (what with different licensing costs and what have you).

I also suspect a lot of these programs are not Octo's bag. That said, I suspect he would say yes to Samurai Pizza Cats. I'll also throw in for Slam Dunk because while I feel like "dudes playing basketball" isn't much of a selling point for Octo, the lead character might be in that he is relentlessly and lovably just the worst.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:55 AM
Mystery Contraption

I speak from a soul-deep place when I say that Samurai Pizza Cats is deeply Octo.

However, unless theyíre not listed with the rest of the Anime section, I donít think most of those are available here. Of those youve mentioned, FotNS is, as is both Robotech and itís unedited component parts, but I donít think Iíve seen anything else.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:52 AM
Phantastic Oil

Yes, as I have complained about several times in this thread (the most recent being just a few pages ago, as Iroduku: The World in Colors is literally impossible for me to watch legally), Amazon Prime Canada's anime selection is anemic compared to its US counterpart, and has been ever since the creation (and subsequent destruction) of Anime Strike. Amazon will pick up licenses for shows, meaning that none of the other streaming platforms can get them, but not make them available in Canada, which forces me to use pirate sites to watch them, and it is deeply frustrating.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:56 AM
Mystery Contraption

Anemic is generous. Itís more like a salt-pan desert.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:17 PM

Ah yes, the Canadian conundrum. My apologies.

Hey, this is going to be a thing:

I'll be here for this. I hope Studio Wit (Attack on Titan, Kabanari, Ancient Magus Bride) can keep their shit together for this one.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:26 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

The Prime selection in Spain is even more slim. Iíd kill for Robot Carnival, but the most high profile thing we have is a Shin-Chan movie. Not a series, not any other movies or OVAs, just this one movie.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:49 PM
Phantastic Oil

The 4th and 5th episodes of The Promised Neverland were super good. I was worried that it didn't have much gas in the tank after that amazing start but I am 100% back on board and excited to see what comes next. I actually wasn't all that surprised by this latest revelation, but fuck that plan by Norman was a genius stroke.

Ray and Norman are obviously both in love with Emma, and they have to realize that if they succeed in tricking her and leaving everyone else behind then she'll never forgive them, right? That said, I don't they will succeed, since I don't think either of them give Emma enough credit; she's smarter than they think. I also worry that they're not giving Mom enough credit either. She's a smart lady. Of course, they're all idiots for looping Don in, although at least they were smart enough not to tell him the truth about Connie, because he absolutely wouldn't have been able to hold it together.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:49 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

I've only watched two episodes of Kaguya-Sama but it's the straightest thing I've ever seen in my goddamn life.

I mean, it's not bad, it's clever enough so far, but the entire premise of valuing affection so little that you actively disdain it is such a staple of straight comedy (ball and chain, marriage is terrible lol) and from the perspective of someone who is part of an ongoing fight to have the right to affection, it feels really odd to frame them in that sort of way.

Again, not bad - it's just hard to get around.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:35 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
The 4th and 5th episodes of The Promised Neverland were super good. I was worried that it didn't have much gas in the tank after that amazing start but I am 100% back on board and excited to see what comes next. I actually wasn't all that surprised by this latest revelation, but fuck that plan by Norman was a genius stroke.
It has its highs and lows, like everything else, but no it keeps the level of tension if nothing else all throughout, it's good stuff. Don't know if it beats the start at any point, but that's just because it's that good.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:06 PM
Find Your Reason

I went to see Big Lips Big Eyes Bigger Eyes: The Movie tonight.
Old Today, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
I've only watched two episodes of Kaguya-Sama but it's the straightest thing I've ever seen in my goddamn life.

I mean, it's not bad, it's clever enough so far, but the entire premise of valuing affection so little that you actively disdain it is such a staple of straight comedy (ball and chain, marriage is terrible lol) and from the perspective of someone who is part of an ongoing fight to have the right to affection, it feels really odd to frame them in that sort of way.

Again, not bad - it's just hard to get around.
This is a really interesting opinion. It kept me thinking. Thanks!

Anyway, i'm rewatching Megalo Box. The reason i liked it so much in the first place is that it has an existential crisis that moved me. I thought it had the strong aspects of Ashita no Joe without the gender baggage of a 60's comic book. We usually diss existential questions as being worthy questions only for teenagers; i appreciate things like Megalo Box going against the trend.

I'm interested to see what i'll think about it now. I should search this thread to see if people talked about it...
Old Today, 03:01 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Oh we definitely did. Most people liked it a lot.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road