The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-03-2019, 01:20 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

here in western pennsylvania blah blah-blah blah-blah
Old 02-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Outraged!

Y’all super excited about the VR sequel to Groundhog’s Day that Sony is making for some reason?
Old 02-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Headcanon; Phil didn't need to do all that stuff. The only requirement to end the time loop was to donate $380 to the booster club.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:05 PM
Back to the Bear

Bumblebee is a good movie that suffers slightly from trying to be five entirely different movies, some of which I liked more than others. At least half of those movies have heart.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Senhor Member

Velvet Buzzsaw: Morf
Old 02-08-2019, 10:51 AM
King Of Space-Time

The LEGO Movie: The Second Part

... is good. Go see it.

And damn if they weren't right, that song IS stuck in my head.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Mystery Contraption

The remake is one of my GOAT movies, but I’d never seen the original Little Shop of Horrors before. So now I have!

It holds up a lot better than I fear it would have; a lot of the gags still landed pretty well and, surprisingly, none of the jokes were problematic (not even the remake can boast that). That being said, it still felt like it dragged on a bit (even at a slim 70-minutes), and I kept waiting for songs to break out but they never did. I guess that’s on me, not the film, though Also... kind of a weird ending. Not going to lie there.

Except for his voice, Young Jack Nicholson is also exactly as unrecognizable as Present Day Jack Nicholson.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:58 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
Velvet Buzzsaw: Morf
I'm pretty sure this is negative, but I'm honestly not sure Googling Morf turned up "Male or female" and "Indie electronica dance artist." So... those? I'm curious because I liked Nightcrawler and have been hearing mixed reactions on this one.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:07 PM
Senhor Member

I liked it! A warmly-regarded 7/10. Would’ve been happy to spend a moviepass credit to see it in theaters if it were in theaters and moviepass worked for me anymore. Perfect (fine) Netflix movie. I also liked Nightcrawler but saw it like 4 years ago so I can’t really compare them.

Morf’s Jake Gyllenhaal’s character’s goofy-ass name.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:11 PM
Senhor Member

Fuck this was so good. Yes, better than the movie, but that’s no faint praise! A worthy meme was born.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:14 PM

Cool. I got plans to introduce JBear to the horror genre but he has some specific needs (little to no gore, preferable a film no one has seen yet...). That said, I got some films that'll go ahead of this one (Under the Shadow, A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, Pontypool).
It's a bold move to name your lead character Morf.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:21 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Cool. I got plans to introduce JBear to the horror genre but he has some specific needs (little to no gore, preferable a film no one has seen yet...). That said, I got some films that'll go ahead of this one (Under the Shadow, A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night, Pontypool).
VVitch!

I know Jbear wants to live deliciously!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Senhor Member

I don’t think the film is that gory but there are definitely some nasty deaths. Lotta blood. Someone’s arm gets severed. Final death is pretty suggestive. Anyway, have fun, you two.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
VVitch!

Goes down smooth like butter!
Old 02-08-2019, 06:40 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I've seen Pontypool at least four times. Yes, people with any interest in the horror genre should see that.

edit: I should say horror/psychological thriller. It definitely takes its times making you wonder just what the hell exactly is going on. It's a delight.

best fucking intro ever
Old 02-08-2019, 06:41 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
Yes, people with any interest in the horror genre should see that.
Seconded. It's Canadian, even!
Old 02-08-2019, 06:43 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

^ It is! Not that it affects my opinion of the film, but hey, go.........

....I was gonna say canucks, but I haven't thought of that word in like.....20 years? Is that word offensive?

Anyway, good movie.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
VVitch!

Vvitch is great. I think he might like that one. Solid choice.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:03 PM

Man, I'm fucking excited for Battle Angel Alita, despite the mixed reviews. Having said that, it has Hugo and Zapan in it, so no probably no happy endings here. My real disappointment is there's never going to be a motorball movie arc. Love me some Jashugan force of will booming.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:00 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Pronouns: He/Him

High Flying Bird, the new Soderbergh on Netflix, is good as heck.

Like his last film, Unsane (which I liked, didn’t love), he shot this on an iPhone. I think he does much better work with it here, and it’s even thematically relevant.

It was written by Tarell Alvin McCraney, who co-wrote Moonlight, and it’s v. tight. It’s vaguely about basketball, but don’t let that put you off if you’re not interested in the sport. I couldn’t give less of a shit and I still loved it so much
Old 02-08-2019, 09:48 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
As someone who runs like a baby from even mild horror films, Velvet Buzzsaw isn't really scary at all. It does have some gore; the movie doesn't have blood often, but when it has blood it tends to overdo it a little.

Velvet Buzzsaw is crazy enough that I finished it thinking that some people were really going to love it, even if I wasn't necessarily one of those people. It does have a lot of really good actors visibly trying, which is something at least.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:50 PM
Slammaster

It's a Shudder-only joint right now, but Horror Noire is a really good documentary about the history of black horror. What I really loved about it is that a lot of the talking-head stuff isn't just an interview, it's two people just shooting the shit together. Like, Ken Foree and Keith David are just hanging out having a chat. Rusty Cundieff and Ernest Dickerson just bullshitting about movies. If the subject interests you, check it out.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Find Your Reason

So what do you do when you have an iconic, trendsetting work of cyberpunk that combines themes and philosophies of spirituality, transhumanism, will to power, genetics, loss/search/definition of identity, self-actualization, love, transcendence, political revolution, metaphysics of fate, government conspiracies, cycles of revenge, with kickass and violent cyborg fights, and you only have two hours to juggle them all in a single, two-hour film adaptation?

You put aaaaaaaaaall of it in and come up with Alita: Battle Angel.

Of course, it was obvious from the trailers that it was going to adapt several consecutive, mostly disconnected story arcs, so the major concern was whether the resulting mess would be in any way coherent. The good news is that, amazingly, it works. There is a clear, direct dramatic line from beginning to end, with characters coming and going at a natural pace and more or less organically. It pulls not just from the manga but also from the OAV, which enriches the story, and even brings in bits of Last Order to deal with Alita's driving conflict before the end credits. It's decidedly NOT a translation, but an adaptation, and many of those "disconnected, consecutive" story arcs from the manga are rejiggered to serve the continuous plotline of "Who is Alita and what does she want?"

The bad news is that, since there's SO MANY simultaneous plots going on, it feels unfocused, disoriented/disorienting, and rushed. I've read the original manga a few times, and watched the OAV twice; so, while I was surprised by some of the paths the story took, ultimately they led to the same destinations I knew and expected. A virgin audience, OTOH, will probably be completely lost and overwhelmed, especially as Cameron introduces many plot elements that BA fans love and he felt obligated to include, but which are just pointless decoration, or worse, jarring distractions, for anyone else.

It's one of those movies that has such reverential love for the source, it tries to adapt too much and doesn't have the heart to cut anything out; I have a bad feeling it will prove too impenetrable for non-fans and bomb at the box office. But, from a fan's perspective, it did justice to the original, for the most part. The effects surrounding Alita and her acrobatics are impeccable, though, ironically, most other cyborgs stand out as obvious CGI (ESPECIALLY Makaku/Grewshika). Action scenes are amazing. The obligatory cameos DID please me (Jashuugan was annoyingly white, though, and as great as his major scene with Alita was, I feel including Nova was a wrinkle the story did not need), and the environments were interesting and nicely lived-in. I WAS befuddled at how pleasant and culturally diverse the Scrapyard is now, as opposed to the grim dystopias of the manga/OAV, but relocating the Scrapyard from Kansas City to Panama, with all the cultural and architectural changes that this implies, amuses me to no end. Hugo's story was similarly softened beyond any of my expectations, basically pulling a 180 on his character by the end, and while I can accept a different interpretation of his motives it does feel like the film itself wasn't sure whether to redeem him or stick by his original version.

Still! I liked it. The acting might be a bit wooden at times but its serviceable, and Alita's eyes didn't bother me at all in the actual film. As an adaptation, it's one of the better ones, and it's much better than the OAV by orders of magnitude. Karmatron dynamics demand that I see it again this weekend.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:27 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
HOW IS HIS NOW A LEGENDARY CULT CLASSIC?!?
I'm just pulling this review of Solarbabies into this page now because your question stands forevermore. Bride of Dracula, to her infinite credit, discovered this movie last year and introduced it to all of us during our weekly movie night. I wish I could experience it again for the first time.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
Mystery Contraption

Watched a double feature of bad movies the other day, which really serves to illustrate the difference between Good-Bad and Bad.

Plan 9 From Outer Space, is an infamous example of he former. Because the movie is a hoot start to finish. The dialogue is all so stilted and unnatural that you barely notice that no line of dialogue fails to contradict itself. And that’s when the dialogue makes any damn sense whatsoever (Crisswells narration is... beautiful nonsense). So many day-for-night scenes are filmed so badly that you can only assume that a single chase scene takes an entire week. You’re kindly asked to pretend that Bela Lugosi suddenly became a completely different actor about two scenes in (owing to his actual death mid-film). Tip to toe, the movies a breathtaking piece of art. Really want to revisit Ed Wood. The film, not his other movies.

But yes also his other movies.

On the other hand, we’ve got The Cable Guy, which was as boring and aggravating as it’s lead characters. The movie could have worked fine as either a drama or a comedy, but as a dramedy it fell flat. Didn’t care a cuss about Matthew Broderick as the lead, and Jim Carrey was stuck in the “Shrieking Nincompoop” phase of his career, and the director didn’t have the heart to tell him to rein in in a bit.

Made me appreciate One Hour Photo more, though.
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
クソゲーが好な人

I wonder if Jim Carrey was doing the shrieking schtick of his own accord, or if he was being directed to do it because that's what people thought he was good for. (I haven't seen the Cable Guy to offer an opinion)
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

I will stan for The Cable Guy
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Still! I liked it. The acting might be a bit wooden at times but its serviceable, and Alita's eyes didn't bother me at all in the actual film. As an adaptation, it's one of the better ones, and it's much better than the OAV by orders of magnitude. Karmatron dynamics demand that I see it again this weekend.
Okay, I was already planning to see this, but with this much of a rec from a fellow Alita fan, I *definitely* need to get to it soon.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

I just saw Alita with no knowledge of the manga. After the first half hour I lost the plot and just enjoyed the visuals which were very pretty. I wish Cameron and Rodriguez had learned from Adventures of Tintin that it's possible to make a long-awaited comic book adaptation passion project with plotting that's coherent for newcomers. Tintin did well enough that Spielberg and Jackson are still talking about making a sequel to it! Maybe the Tintin comics had a bigger global audience so its moviemakers had more confidence they'd be able to make a sequel? What are the relative sizes of the global fan bases of Tintin and Alita?

Alita's action scenes are fast enough that I wish it was all shot and shown at a high frame rate.

This movie makes me want to read the manga.
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

I'm seeing Alita this Sunday and I can't even begin to relate my hype for it. I'm not expecting miracles but seeing Alita MOVE will be a treat (yes, I've seen the OVA and I like it a lot, but this has a much grander budget than that did lol)

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , rooster cogburn , several live eels , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road