The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-29-2019, 12:21 PM
Outraged!

Iím fairly certain that Jinx hates ďthose meeses to piecesĒ so I doubt the altruistic angle behind that present. He was likely sucked into jet turbine off screen.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:11 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Matty's Funday Funnies

So who is Matty? Matty is the often overlooked mascot for Mattel toys. He is the "King of Toys" (as ordained by God) and showed up for a brief period in the 50's and 60's. In 1979, the kid briefly showed up to point consumers to the mattel hotline. In 2008, a "kewl" version of the character popped up for a spell, presumably pointing collectors to exclusive deals.

Now it's easy to think about how consumer culture and TV programming hit it's peak with the "cartoons based on toys" genre of the 80's, but back in the 50's and 60's, TV characters and hosts often promoted products themselves, such as Rod Serling and Fred Flintstone promoting cigarettes. But also, some of the most acclaimed shows had brand names in the name. Mostly it was for comedy shows, variety shows and anthologies (which I wish we had more of. It's a genre of TV show I like).

There was...

-The Colgate Comedy Hour
- Four Star Review (which was sponsored by Motorola)
- Ford Theatre (yes, that Ford company and no, it has nothing to do with the theatre where Lincoln died in)
- Magnavox Theatre
and...

Matty's Funday Funnies

Placing this firmly in the 1950's, we start the intro with the picture of a rocket. A high-pitched voiced excitedly tells us that "It's time for Funday Funnies!" as little circles featuring various Harvey Comics characters: Baby Huey, Little Audrey, Casper, Katnip, Buzzy Crow and Herman. Really, I only care about Casper and that's on a generous day. Fanfare begins to play are characters are replaced with the names of the days of the week in chronological order.

They all disappear when, after Saturday, they announced the final day of the week... Funday! Yeah, that'll trick the kids into thinking a Church day with school tomorrow is fun. It usually isn't the best day for cartoons but it was the 50's so kids might not have figured that out yet. The rocket takes off and as the back half detaches the announcer proclaims "Hi, kids! Mattel toymakers presents with Matty Mattel, the King of Toys, who says to all you girls and boys 'You can tell, it's Mattel, it's swell.'"

Except imagine no space between the words.

Anyway, the bottom of the rocket reveals the Mattel logo on the bottom, complete with l'il Matty in his widdle crown. He then grabs a "t" from Mattel and jumps down and begins to plummetting towards the Earth. The "t" turns into an umbrella (which I guess looks like a poorly made umbrella it you look at it funny).

He softly hits the Earth next to a girl at the carnival. The girl doesn't seem the least bit shocked that Matty just escaped from a rocket hurtling towards the heavens.

"Hi, sister Belle!" Matty says and the two run off toward the carnival. Her name is Belle Mattel and this proves these two kids have cruel parents. Anyway, the two kids get on a roller coaster with Little Audrey and Baby Huey and no one else because this carnival doesn't have very long roller coasters.

"It's time for Funday Funnies,
And Matty is your host
With Baby Huey"
(Huey does a take to the camera"
"Little Audrey"
(She looks at the camera, with a slightly less mugging to the camera)
"And Casper, the Friendly Ghost!"

Casper appears and follows his friends along with the roller coaster. They get to the bottom and it turns out it is designed to eject the kids onto the ground. The kids land safely and don't hesitate for a second to move on into a circus tent and not question "Hey, was that roller coaster supposed to do that? Because I feel like either 'yes' and 'no' is a bad answer."

"It's time for Funday Funnies, with all the friends you know
Like Herman and Katnipp..."

And we see a generic mouse being chased by a generic cat. The cat knocks over a barrel sending a crow flying out, all shook up.

"And Buzzy."
Some kid: "Crow-uzzy!" (in the hizzy?)
"And Buzzy the Funny Crow."

It occurs to me, only now, not having seen a Buzzy cartoon, that Buzzy's whole thing is that he's a drunk, like the Stork from Looney Tunes. Though his behaviour can be attributed to being spun around, it does look very much like he's hammered and it feels like "funny" is a euphemism (and being a Harvey character it sure ain't literal). Either way, I feel really sad for Buzzy and can only see him like Old Man Gower from Pottersville, dancing for change and getting seltzered by Nick while sobbing to himself. Funny.

We then see Matty at a shooting Gallery, hitting targets with a day of the week being shouted for each one it hits. We finally get to "Funday", where Matty hits a bit target, then breaks time and space and comes out of said target meaning... maybe he was this close to shooting himself? I mean, it's a pellet gun or an air gun so he probably would have lived, but it still probably would have hurt.

Then Matty hops into a... what would you call it. A big box with those little Americana ribbons on them? Like for judges at a state fair? Anyway, he jumps into one of those with all his Funday Friends in it. Audrey and Belle catch him in a chair, with each holding one chair leg, which neither of them flinching as Matty lands. These girls have VERY strong arms. Not just strong, but controlled. I'm saying I hope they have arm-wrestling contests, is what I'm saying.

As streamers and confetti flies through the air, we rise up and see balloons that spell out the words "Funday".

"Matty's Funday Funnies are coming on the air,
so grab a chair and stay right there
It's Funday, everywheeeeeeeeeeeere!"

Did it make me want to watch it?

Nope. Except for the toy commercials in between.

Let's see what there is.

Look, I love caps and toy guns, despite my anti-actual gun stance but... what the opening bit supposed to seem really sinister? Like, creepy music playing as the kid slowly and lovingly loads his cap gun? Because it put ME ill at ease.

The Popeye Jack-in-the-Box is the best one since it pops, but then has a moment of anti-climax as it slowly sputters into phase two. I love that the concept of a jack-in-the-box is explained in the ad.

He left behind a lot of pretend corpses in his wake.

Now I look on Wikipedia to learn more about the show

Not much, but I know it became the Beany and Cecil show, which a lot of cartoon-philes like.

Fan Art

I thought "this doesn't look like Matty" but it actually does. Turns out that there was also a Matty Mattel doll that looked nothing like the previously established Matty.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:06 PM
BAG

It's weird seeing the openings to the Huckleberry Hound show and Matty's Funday Funnies reach 60 seconds of full animation. A new era is about to begin, I bet all the Boomer children were saying.

Re Fanart:
Kid! Your hair is on fire!!!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:30 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

That spy toy is awesome! Adult JBear was surprised and delighted when that barrel shot out of his satchel, and young JBear would have fainted with joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Look, I love caps and toy guns, despite my anti-actual gun stance but... what the opening bit supposed to seem really sinister? Like, creepy music playing as the kid slowly and lovingly loads his cap gun? Because it put ME ill at ease.
Ha, it really does come across that way. It's the meticulous nature of it all. It feels like a movie is showing me a serial killer's private moments. It's almost like gun ASMR. And no, I don't think that's intended, and it probably didn't read that way to audiences of the time?
Old 02-08-2019, 09:47 AM

Mighty Mouse Playhouse

Hey, it's Mighty Mouse. I feel like I've watched a fair amount of Mighty Mouse but I also feel it's been a long enough time that I don't have a strong opinion on Mighty Mouse. But I do get the appeal. It seems simple: Superman, but a mouse. But this makes sense: Superman is champion of the oppressed and in cartoons, it's the tiny prey animals that are getting harassed by larger predators. The cartoons I remember are usually big bad wolf-types preying on the innocent, either by simply threatening to eat them or some other form of prolonged bullying.

Mighty Mouse himself I don't remember talking a lot, per se, since he did most of his talking with his fists, but does have that old timey silly-manly voice. MM was also the star of one of the most important cartoons of the late 80's: Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures. The cartoon hired cartoonists fed up with the formulaic cartoons of the day and strove for something more. The series is mostly known for helping launch the career of auteur and, like many auteurs, world-class creep John Kricfalusi but it also launched the careers of Jim Reardon, Rich Moore and Andrew Stanton, who have done a lot of latterday Disney and Pixar stuff. But more than that, it lead to Ren & Stimpy, which lead to a lot of other cartoonists careers and many cartoonist-driven shows with DNA being found in a lot of them. I'm not saying it's the best show, but it is an important one in introducing different and varied kids shows and cartoons and with more flexibility to be creative.

Anyway, let's look at the Mouse of Steel's first major TV presence.

It starts out with the classic Mighty Mouse theme. I don't know if this is where it originated but I love it. Especially, that it is an entirely acapella piece. Anyway, we start with a clear grey sky and the title "Mighty Mouse Playhouse" appears. Then the Terrytoons logo which is a smiling face in a box.

"Mr. Trawful never hangs around."

I'm positive that it's supposed to be Mr. Trouble but the old audio is a bit difficult for me to hear.

"When he hears this mighty sound."

A tornado shows up and, through editing, seems to explode into Mighty Mouse, radiating strength and divine goodness. He's also in a room with a lot of mirrors and if I had muscles like that, man I would be in there too. That is a buff rodent.

Mighty Mouse: "Here I come to save the day!"

"That means that Mighty Mouse is on his way."

We then see Mighty Mouse flying around and beating up, in order, wolves in an oven, a cowboy, a shark, and a horse. This seems to be a collection of old cartoons, which is fine with me. I'll say, I usually don't like non-original animation to be used if it can be helped, but it isn't the worst editing job and gives you a good idea that it's a mouse who flies around and beats people up.

But then we do get some new animation and, because it's the 1950s, a rocket is involved. But at least here the animators know it isn't enough to have MM be in or on the rocket: he needs to use his Herculean strength to throw the rocket into the air on his own! Then Mighty catches up with it lands on top and starts addressing the audience.

"Hi boys and girls, here we go
rocketing into a fun-filled, exciting cartoon show."

If rhyming is part of Mighty's thing, I've forgotten it. I know it is an Underdog sort of deal. Mighty Mouse straddles the rocket and heads into the cosmos.

"Hold onto your seats,
as we blast off to visit all your favourite cartoon stars."

I doubt your show has the budget for my favourites (Looney Tunes probably got their own show). Also, you seem shy about who these stars are. I expect him to say "like me. And the rest." Terrytoons-level of star rarely intersects with favorite for me.

We then hear eerie noises as we head into black, which I'm sure will also describe my final moments.

I wouldn't necessarily turn the channel if it was on.

The show ran for 12 years, with the last season featuring a new cartoon, the Mighty Heroes, who spun off into their own show the next year.

Fan Art

I don't like this version of Underdog. He seems like a jerk.

I feel like "name that Pokemon" went wrong and litigable.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Except for his expression, that first one has a kind of One Punch Man sort of vibe.

Also, just now realizing that Saitama and Mighty Mouse wear the same costume.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:09 AM

Saitama was actually inspired (if you didn't know) by beloved children's cartoon Anpanman. There's the name (in Japanese, One Punch Man is "Wanpanman") and the costume, which is a color inverse of Anpanman's.

And one of the early villains is basically a Dragonball version of Anpanman's recurring foe.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Mystery Contraption

I knew nothing of the sort!

However, I know it now, and feel both wiser and stronger!
Old 02-08-2019, 07:07 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Except for his expression, that first one has a kind of One Punch Man sort of vibe.

Also, just now realizing that Saitama and Mighty Mouse wear the same costume.
We have discussed this before.

(from "Johnny Unusual (Over)Analyzes 70's Cartoon TV Intros"):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Oh my god... Mighty Mouse shares colors with Saitama.
(from the "Say a thing, and someone will draw it" thread):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
One-Punch Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I apologize for nothing

Old 02-22-2019, 10:12 AM

Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks

Technically this isn't an intro for a show but for a segment within a show, namely a segment in the previously discussed show "The Huckleberry Hound Show".

As for Pixie and Dixie themselves... I really don't know these two. I know of them. Whenever there was a show or special featuring a ton of classic (and "classic") Hanna Barbera characters, they usually appear and get one or two lines. But really, I know very little about them. Are they like the Goofy Gophers from Looney Tunes who are ridiculously polite with each other? Do they work as a unit for complex cheese-getting missions? Or did a writer come up with the names first and slide some mice in there? I'm guessing the last one.

We dive right into things with Pixie and Dixie, two mice, staring at Mr. Jinks, a cat. Pixie is a mouse in a bowtie while Dixie wears a vest and has slightly shaggier hair. I assume, based on context anyway. I mean, I guess they could have put them in a different order, but why would you do that to me? Mr. Jinks is a cat in a bowtie (because maybe Hanna Barbera ran out of ideas for clothes for animals to wear) who is sitting on his own name and is looking pretty pleased with himself. Not smug or anything, just very happy with his situation. Which is starring in a cartoon. Hey, can you blame him?

He would be less pleased if he had to listen to the theme song, which is shrill and dumb.

"Pixie, Dixie Dee-Da-Lee-Dum!"

Are you already out of actual lyrics? Do you have that little to say about two cartoon mice? Give me a reason to keep watching.

"Are the best of friends!"

"Best of friends" may have been a new concept in the 50's, so maybe this was a novelty for a show concept back then. "Wow, two characters who really like each other's company! Sign me up!"

This song really feels like the creators were told "OK, you have 5 minutes to write a theme song GO!"

"Pixie Dixie Dee-Da-Lee-Dum!
Are friends until the end."

I mean, I guess this implies a slight increase in the depth of their friendship since the last stanza, so that's new. Also, it makes a promise about their friendship status upon death so that's some good foreshadowing.

"Pixie Dixie Dee-Da-Lee-Dum!
Sometimes enjoy a spat!"
Pixie Dixie Dee-Da-Lee-Dum!
With Mr. Jinks the Cat!"

I usually don't enjoy my spats. Oh, wait, maybe they mean the shoe covering. I think we can all enjoy one. Two is usually preferable, but if you want to make a statement, one is the way to go.

Nope. I don't know who these mice are and frankly, I don't care to know.

Apparently it's just cheap-ass Tom and Jerry but with a cat who sounds like Marlon Brando (50's era) and a mouse with a South American accent. Also, Mr. Jinks was apparently the British Coco Puffs mascot. Weird.

Fan Art

What's wrong with your tails? Is this a mash up I don't get? I bet it is.

They may enjoy spats but they can agree on one thing: high fives!

I get this mash up but these mice look like they don't want to be in it.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Mystery Contraption

Itís usually easy to tell which HB cartoons were made because the creative team felt inspired by the premise, and which ones were made because the creative team would just like to have a paycheque this week, please.

And sometimes itís entirely too easy.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:35 AM
BAG

Re: fanart

They combined Pixie and Dixie with Minccino, a chinchilla Pokemon.
And the sparkles? Because they are shiny Minccinos!
Old 02-24-2019, 05:05 AM

Man, I could go for a miniccino about now.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:08 AM

The Quick Draw McGraw Show

Oh, Quick Draw McGraw. Here's one I kind of know. He's a cowboy horse. He sometimes is a zorro like figure named El Kabong. He has a sidekick named Baba Louie. Something about Howard Stern and Baba Bouie. That's about it really.

We start with an old fashion western stage coach being pulled by horses and driven... BY A HORSE?!? WHAT BLASPHEMY BE THIS?! It does raise the question about whether this is a Goofy/Pluto situation or if they see him as some sort of slave master or if he drew the long straw and got lucky. SO MANY QUESTION I DON'T WANT TO LOOK UP!

"Yippie-Yai-Yo-Kai-Eh!
Gallopin' all the way,
Great big star on his chest.
Outdraws all of the rest."

Well, I feel like he's not galloping so much that his horses are, but we has established that he has a chest-star, probably meaning he's a sheriff or something. Also he's either a skilled gunman or a fast artist.

During this time, he enters a valley but his horses run in the air on the same plane in the land before the valley and his wheels extend the length of it, also keeping the coach on the same plane. I wouldn't laugh or anything but by Hanna Barbera standards, this is a sight gag of mind bending proportions.

"Fastest gun in the west."

Oh, mystery solved. I know this is a kids cartoon, but I hope McGraw has a high body count. Does he actually USE a gun in the cartoon?

Next we see the horses tiptoeing through a river, and McGraw doing the same while carrying the stage coach Flintstonemobile style (I will say, I don't know what his relationship with the horses is, but the dude can literally pull his weight.)

"Yippie-Yai-Yo-Kai-Eh!
Coming around the way,
Here comes Quick Draw McGraw!"

McGraw enters a tunnel and reveals the whole ride was not only a turn taking endevour, but also HE CAN DO THE WORK OF TWO HORSES, as he has his steeds in the coach while he pulls it all by himself after entering a tunnel. But while he does heavier lifting, he expends his stamina as the status quo is restored after the next tunnel. Is this fair? Discuss.

"The high-falutinest
Fast-shootinist cowboy you ever saw!
That's Quick Draw McGraw!"

McGraw then hits the breaks and the friction causes the earth to grind the coach into nothingness. McGraw then doffs his hat to you sir, assuming I'm using the term "doff" correctly (it isn't sexual, is it?) as his show's title comes up.

Man, I sure hope he didn't borrow that from anyone. Or that he didn't pay too much for it. Is the coach made out of grit or is the sand diamond shavings or something crazy?

I'll say the titles didn't make me laugh but at least they has some mildly decent visuals with the tiptoes and the long coach legs and then it getting ground into dust. I mean, I don't feel like going to bat for it as a great intro, but considering the usual Hanna Barbera output this feels like the animators actually tried a little this time. Like an investor came in and someone was all "quick, everyone, act like your souls aren't dead!"

Just because it is better than usual doesn't mean I'm particularly into it. It's more a "credit where credit is due for actually meeting a low bar" kind of thing.

This was the third Hanna Barbera show and the last one of the 50s. It also introduced Augie Doggy and Doogy Daddy and Snooper and Blabber (whoever they are)

Fan Art

Quick Draw as Cthulhu in a speedo feels like its trying to hard to be Internet.

Its not that the heads are too big so much as the bodies are too small.

I think that's a tail but it might be a single buttwing.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:36 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

That middle piece of fan art looks sorta like Funko POP!s.

I don't know much about Quick Draw McGraw, but I do remember that there was one episode where he was trying to catch a bull for...being a jerk or something, I think. Anyway, Quick Draw hits the bull so hard with his guitar that he (Quick Draw) shatters into pieces and the bull laughs but gets an "Oh crap" look on his face as he shatters into pieces too and then Baba Louie does a comedic quip and the episode ends right there.

There's no cutaway to show that Quick Draw and the bull are actually okay and not dead, it literally ends with Baba Louie making a joke after his boss hit the villain of the day so hard that it tore them both to pieces.

Clearly Baba Louie is a li'l sociopath.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:57 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

I legit dig that intro. It's a breath of fresh air compared to most of the intros in this thread. A couple of those gags almost made me laugh, and the song is reasonably catchy.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:07 PM
King Of Space-Time

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
That middle piece of fan art looks sorta like Funko POP!s.

I don't know much about Quick Draw McGraw, but I do remember that there was one episode where he was trying to catch a bull for...being a jerk or something, I think. Anyway, Quick Draw hits the bull so hard with his guitar that he (Quick Draw) shatters into pieces and the bull laughs but gets an "Oh crap" look on his face as he shatters into pieces too and then Baba Louie does a comedic quip and the episode ends right there.
Oh no, no, no. That's El Kabong

Totally different person.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I legit dig that intro. It's a breath of fresh air compared to most of the intros in this thread. A couple of those gags almost made me laugh, and the song is reasonably catchy.
This is a pretty fair assessment. Like, looking like you put in some effort and trying for some fun visuals counts for a lot. Which tells either how little trying their is or how demoralizing the animation industry at the time that you give up on trying at a certain point and this is the exception to the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post

There's no cutaway to show that Quick Draw and the bull are actually okay and not dead, it literally ends with Baba Louie making a joke after his boss hit the villain of the day so hard that it tore them both to pieces.
At the very least, I feel like that gag should end with Baba Louie, who was nowhere near the fracas, also just shattering.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:51 AM
Mystery Contraption

As is often the case with Hanna Barbara properties, my only exposure to QuickDraw McGraw was an episode of Harvey Birdman, where he was based on Charlton Heston, lobbying against federal control of guitars.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:08 AM

The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show

Here's one I actually know very well and have been a long time fan of. I feel like the cartoons of Jay Ward feel like an outlier of the era, not only for the quality but overall tone. Though the show was for kids, it did seem like a lot of the humour was about what dumb wordplay and jokes made the writers laugh.

The show had its weaknesses. The biggest is the animation, which has always been on the cheaper side. Unlike a lot of these other shows, I tend to be pretty forgiving of it. Though there certainly characters getting bonked on the head and stuff, I feel like most of the shows are in the vein of old time radio comedies rather than being cheapened versions of theatrical-style cartoon shorts. As mentioned, it relies more heavily on wordplay and Vaudville shtick rather than slapstick, at least as I remember it. The images, though necessary, are secondary to the script.

Someone once said that if you can get the full experience with your eyes closed, its not a good cartoon. That's an interesting theory. One I might pay more heed to if it wasn't known creep John K. Now I'm much more willing to ignore it.

I also feel like not only is the cartoon funnier than most other cartoon competitors, but it had more of an attitude. While it isn't as visually arresting as Looney Tunes (or... at all), I feel like its irreverence is more in line with those cartoons. I don't feel like Hanna Barbera cartoons of the era where touchy-feely or anything but they feel far less ambitious not just visual but in fleshing things out. Rocky and Bullwinkle is pretty easy to enjoy but its serialized storytelling also develops a rich mythology of moon men, Upsidaisium, Frostbite Falls, Pottsylvania, Fearless Leader and Mr. Big. There was a lot going on in their world, while the HB cartoons are meant to be blood simple (not a sin, but Hanna Barbera often didn't do it well.

And while the animation is quite crude, at least it is more animated than SOME cartoons on the list, like Clutch Cargo. Like, it wasn't for a lack of trying, it was with the knowledge of where to put the focus: on the dialogue.

So lets check out the first intro (note, I think the logo has been edited in for syndication, but I can't be sure.

We begin with some chintzy fanfare, which feels right for the show. A weird little man is looking at an arrow pointing right. The man looks right to see another arrow, this time pointing up. The man looks up, losing his little hat in the process.

The music then gets light and whimsical as an aviator goggles-wearing squirell soars through the air making jet sounds. As he does so, a BOOM special effect fills the screen!

"A thunder of jets
and an open sky
A streak of grey
and a cheerful--"

"Hi!"

Except someone editing the audio did voice acting legend June Foray a bit of disservice by clipping the last tiny bit of that audio, making it sound a little odd.

Rocket J. Squirrel then soars around some more, summoning "BLAM". I don't think that's a flying related sound but whatever. The words spin and transform into the name "Rocky".

"A loop, a whirl and a vertical climb.
And once again you'll know it's time for
The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle... and Friends"

Rocky flies around and when the title is announced it fills the screen in big red and yellow letters. I don't know for sure if this the original title card or if they used some editing to add it in for re-airings. The thing about the show is that it would be labelled things like "Rocky and His Friends", "The Bullwinkle Show", "The Rocky Show", "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show", "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle", "The Adventures of Bullwinkle and Rocky" and for airings on Nickelodeon "Bullwinkle's Moos-o-rama", and this label doesn't quite look a piece with the other fonts used so far.

"Starring that supersonic speedster, Rocket J. Squirrel"

Rocky flies by the title and his mostly full name appears.

"With his pal, Bullwinkle the Moose."

Bullwinkle then floats upwards in a hot air balloon in a dapper suit and top hat.

It's weird to see Bullwinkle get such little play but it makes sense. If this is the original intro, the are probably marketing Rocky as the stalwart hero and Bullwinkle as his dopey sidekick rather than a duo with equal marquee space (heck, Bullwinkle is probably more popular since he gets all the laugh lines of the duo).

"And a host of others"

One such host is Boris Badanoff, who flies by on a biplane and decides to play the villain and uses a pea shooter to blow up Bullwinkle's balloon. Bullwinkle falls but he's unruffled, instead giving a resting pose as he plummets to the Earth.

Rocky, sitting in a car being driven through a parade, calls into the sky to his friend. "Hurry Bullwinkle, the show's about to start!", surprisingly unconcerned for his friend's predicament. "I'm comin' as fast as I can!" responds Bullwinkle, also largely unconcerned (though visibly MORE concerned than Rocky), either because both know they are cartoons and cannot die or they both have a surprisingly laisse faire attitude to mortality.

Bullwinkle hits the inside of the car face first and upsidedown. "Wave to the people!" commands Rocky, seriously not giving his friend a moment to recover from his near fatal peril. Bullwinkle does so, waving with his feet. We get a close up on the parade crowd who cheer in unison.

Rocky turns his head and yells "Now what are ya doin'!" in a matter WAY too shocked to see someone writing in a book. I mean, that a moose is doing it should be surprising, but I think Rocky is used to it by now. "Signin' autographs," replies Bullwinkle "Let's see. John Smith." "But your name is Bullwinkle!" Says Rocky. "I know," shrugs Bullwinkle "But that's hard to spell."

Fade to black on a laugh (?) line.

That's the intro but this video also includes the first interstitial so lets look at that one, too.

The parade continues (and we finally get a good look at the marching band preceeding our heroes).

Rocky exclaims "We're going to have a lot of fun. C'mon and join us."

"Sure," says Bullwinkle, "There's always room for one more." He's also holding up two fingers which MIGHT be intended as a Bullwinkle can't count joke but if it is, it doesn't read very well.

Meanwhile, Boris changes the position of a "One Way" sign, leading our heroes into a tunnel where we see some headlights and hear honking and presumably R & B getting demolished in oncoming traffic as a smash star thingy that represents collision appears.

Oh, hey and there's another interstitial.

Our camera pans up from buildings into skyscrapers (including a marquee for Rocky) and then, in the sky, Rocky appears. Rocky swoops around and appears near Bullwinkle, who seems to be painting a flagpole. OK, THIS TIME, the editing is MUCH clumsier as we awkwardly smash cut to a flag with the show's title on it.

Rocky then... apparently tries to kill Bullwinkle by carrying him off his perch and dropping him to be dashed on the Earth. We see "Featuring Bullwinkle Moose". Bullwinkle after briefly in a cannonball/fetal position, tries to save himself by catching the "o"s in moose, but unfortunately, both stretch and snap.

Rocky, possibly going through some sort of Munchausen by proxy thing with his friend, tries to save him with a net, only to have Bullwinkle swish through it. It doesn't look like Rocky is too concerned, however, and we see why (beyond the fact that Rocky might be a sociopath): his friend landed in a pair of long underwear hanging from a closeline. Oh, that Bullwinkle.

Yes, but mostly because I know the show. These aren't bad but they aren't the best openings or interstitials for the show.

The show's original planned incarnation was about a bunch of forest animals running a TV station. Rocky would have had his original name but Bullwinkle was to be named "Canadian Moose". If he ever wishes to change his nationality, I'm fine with it.

Fan Art

Rocky seems chunkier than usual.

I'm not going to ask why My Little Bullwinkle has a condom on his hoof.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:33 PM
Mystery Contraption

Rocky & Bullwinkle is one of those shows where the quality of the animation is inverse to the quality of the show itself.

It's the cartoon equivalent of Dream Quest
Old 04-03-2019, 12:52 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Rocky & Bullwinkle is one of those shows where the quality of the animation is inverse to the quality of the show itself.

It's the cartoon equivalent of Dream Quest
JBear liked this post.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:30 PM
King Of Space-Time

Rocky & Bullwinkle made me a fan of similar shows with meh animation and great dialogue.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:18 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I found Rocky & Bullwinkle kinda boring and confusing when I was a kid and didn't really understand it (To young me it was just an animated thing to sometimes watch when there weren't any superhero shows, Disney Afternoon blocks, Amblin Entertainment productions, or Garfield & Friends on the TV set (I did not have cable as a kid)), but as an adult I have a much greater appreciation for the wonderful absurdity of the cartoon and its premise.