The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-17-2018, 11:14 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Barker Bill's Cartoon Show

Ah, the cartoon show. Fact of the matter is that 1949 was supposed to have three more cartoons that I couldn't find openings two, assuming they even have "intro" to: NBC Tele-Comics, The Puppetoon Show and the Harveytoons Show. I don't know for sure about the "Tele-Comics" but I think that rest are all repackaging of theatrical shorts. And that make sense: it's hard to produce a lot of hours for the new medium (especially with the industry not being the machine it would become), so why not show cartoons that would only be seen in theatres beforehand. So far, this is the only intro I can find for one of these types of shows, though I expect I'll be able to find more. So get ready for Barker Bill's Cartoon Show.

We start with a top hat and a little jaunty theme, a theme so jaunty, even that hat starts crumpling and extending to the rhythm. Then the hat starts moving back and forth in time to the music. The song begins.

"Whose the man in the big black hat
and who is the man who is round and fat."

This doesn't narrow things down, really.

We see clothes without a rotund man in them dancing around in the middle of a circus ring, which I got to admit, is probably a pretty good act. Even better, he materializes into his own clothes. I can be snarky, but that's some A+ showmanship!

"Who is the man you are looking at?"

OK, this helps a lot with your inquiry. But I don't know.

"His name is Barker Bill."

I should have guessed based on context.

So he's dancing around and it's all cute until we get a close-up.

That's... weird. This feels like a one-off South Park characters. One of the ones you really don't want to remember an is intended to be goofy juxtaposed with something awful and is predicated on a joke that maybe isn't funny but they are swinging for the fences on it and it doesn't work, not even with ceaseless repetition.

Or maybe it's just an unrealized Paul F. Tompkins character.

Anyway, he starts leading a parade procession of children through the circus and hopefully not leading them out of town never to be scene again Pied Piper-style.

"Whose the man with the voice so clear
That folks come running both far and near."

I feel like that might be an issue of volume than clarity. That said, I'm glad the people of this show appreciate the skill of clear speaking, which is a valuable skill in entertainment. I just feel like unless these people are saying "Dude, you got to hear this guy's clear voice. Very precise and coherent!", the loudness is what is calling people over (though I'm sure the quality of the speaking is solid. It's got to be the man's bread and butter and all.)

"Whose the man you can always hear,
His name is Barker Bill."

Hopefully, this is another comment on his clarity of speech. A man "you can always hear" is a scary concept. Like he's the voice that tells you to do things and you can't resist him.

Barker Bill is always with you, calling you closer to your own Carnival of Perdition. When you have done something unforgivable, crossed a line that was not meant to be crossed or found that you have destroyed your own triumphs with your sin, look into your pocket. You will find your usual things. But you will feel something else. Like a small card. It's a ticket. To Barker Bill's Cartoon Show. It is then you realize that the last person you've met is the last person to see you. You will never return.

We then see the show's title card for a tenth of a second.

Did it make me want to watch it?

I never liked Terrytoons. Terrytoons is to Hanna Barbera as Hanna Barbera is to Looney Tunes. That's the enjoyability gap we are looking at here.

Now I look on Wikipedia to learn more about the show

Quote:
These were mostly older cartoons from the 1930s, like Farmer Al Falfa and Kiko the Kangaroo, not the more current and better known series such as Mighty Mouse and Heckle and Jeckle.
You know what, I take it back. Mighty Mouse isn't so bad. But clearly this is the recurring characters moldering in the Terrytoons addict.

Fan Art

Hey, I found some Kiko the Kangaroo fan art.

Let's all just turn off the Internet for a while.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:33 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

This is the only reason I even recognize Barker Bill by name.

It's like, I appreciate that Nintendo was committed to making more light gun games, but it still bewilders me that they used a long dead license for a cartoon compilation show for it. Like, who would even care that it's Barker Bill's Trick Shooting? Unless the show was on cable in the 80s or something, I doubt anybody but grandparents or great grandparents would even recognize the license.

But hey, at least you can shoot the Duck Hunt dog in this one.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:40 AM

But is it the same character? Because that seems like a generic carnival barker name. But he does kind of look like Bill. But also, Bill looks like a generic barker. There's a mystery here.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:34 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
A man "you can always hear" is a scary concept. Like he's the voice that tells you to do things and you can't resist him.

Barker Bill is always with you, calling you closer to your own Carnival of Perdition. When you have done something unforgivable, crossed a line that was not meant to be crossed or found that you have destroyed your own triumphs with your sin, look into your pocket. You will find your usual things. But you will feel something else. Like a small card. It's a ticket. To Barker Bill's Cartoon Show. It is then you realize that the last person you've met is the last person to see you. You will never return.
So then does that mean that Barker Bill is Talking Tim? Or are they different but similar?
Old 12-20-2018, 10:32 AM

Bozo: The World's Most Famous Clown

Yes, it's Bozo. He's the world's most famous clown. Suck it, Pagliacci (and yes, I know the clown in Pagliacci isn't named that. He's Pagliacci's monster). Mostly, I know him for... existing. I don't think I've ever seen a Bozo, though I think a large number of major markets in the US had one well into the 90's. Mostly I know the character as a kids show host, but it started earlier than TV. The characters lie in a series of records with read-along books aimed at kids in 1946. They seemed to do well, as the character became the mascot for capital records. It was in 1956 when the character was optioned for TV and Bozo's started popping up all over. The last Bozo I can find active was in Brazil in 2014!

So while I have no idea of what the appeal of the clown is, he certainly was ubiquitous and popular.

So let's check out what a Bozo cartoon looks like in animated form.

We first see Bozo in some sort of magical be-umbrelled jet car in space as circus music plays. Bozo then jets around the screen, using his device to do some sky-writing of his own name. It straightens itself out into a less nimbus-y font and a fluffy pink cloud underneath it turns into the marquee proclaiming Bozo "the World's Most Famous Clown". I feel like this is honest in that it doesn't say best.

The Announcer says as much and then Bozo flies at the screen. We then see the title is "Broad Sword Discord" (I am not on that Discord channel). And that's about it.

Nope.

Lou Scheimer worked on this before he voiced all the "cute" characters in his cartoons. Oh, and Bozo has a young teen sidekick named Butch.

Oh, and Paul Frees was the narrator. That's about it.

Fan Art
I feel like whatever this kink is, Bozo is oblivious to it.

This is... not bad, I guess.

Next is NSFW

Also, he's ready to accept your little paper football.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:03 AM

Bucky and Pepito

Have no idea what we are getting into here. I expect maybe an unfortunate Mexican accent, but apart from that, I have no idea. Let's learn together.

We start off with a sign that says "Samsing of Hollywood" that... doesn't really stay on center. Fun fact, looking up Samsing as a name, I'm only getting the name of a village in West Bengal so I guess that's their representative in Hollywood. Or there was a guy named Sam Sing with no gap between the given and sur names. The fact that there's an SS in the background might verify the latter. Or hint that Operation: Paperclip has had a very dark impact on the entertainment industry.

"Buuuucky! And Pepito! Such a funny, funny pair." Remember, they are referring to 1950's funny. You've been warned. Anyway, we see to boys (or small men) riding a horse as silhouettes riding across the desert.

"When anyone needs helping, they always lend a hand." Like, even bad guys? Be more discriminating Bucky and Pepito. Anyway, the executive producer is Sam Singer, so that settles that.

"Bucky and Pepito are known throughout the land.
The animals all love them
Bad hombres shake with fear.
When Bucky and Pepito are trailing very, very near"

Oh, so this is basically Pow Wow without the Indian boy. I'm just guessing because of their appearant kinship with animals.

Anyway... that's it. Oh, and this episode is called "The Vexin' Texan" and the title was probably thought up before anything else.

Nah.

The series is partially lost, and little information is known about it Hm... maybe I should watch some then, just because I think we need a more helpful view on this. Also, this is what they look like,

One of them (I'm guessing Pepito), might be blind and has Daredevil-like senses.
Fan Art

No fan art but this... DVD case (?) has left me even more confused.

This is... more than I can process.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:48 AM

Clutch Cargo

OK, here's one I've heard off, I'm going to go through the title first, because it is going to mess with you if you've never heard of this one.

OK, here's the intro.

So we start with the big "Race Bannon" looking head of the main character with the title right next to him. The announcer says "Clutch Cargo with his friend Spinner and Paddlefoot."

We then see the heads of "Spinner" (a young freckle-faced moppet) and "Paddlefoot" (a dog with a saluting ear, I think).

"In another exciting adventure, Pirate Isle!"

I have doubts about exciting, but I do like the live action pirate flag waving in the title card.

Anyway, that's it. But this is a show I know a little bit about. Mostly the animation. Or lack thereof. See, this show is famous for a very... strange approach to saving money on animation.

Ignoring the 50's style racism (which is REALLY HARD! A CHARACTER KEEPS SAYING OOGA LOOGA!), "syncro vox", a fancy way of saying "we put our ugly mouths in characters faces", made the show, that I'm sure is otherwise forgettable, something people would/could never forget, no matter how much they tried. "Syncro Vox" even spawned some Conan bits.

So I will say, I am not without curiosity about the show. But clearly, this is an era where intros where not a big priority.

The intro itself didn't. Any desire to watch it is based on morbid curiosity that ISN'T inspired by the intro but rather the legacy of the show itself.

From the creator.

Quote:
"We are not making animated cartoons. We are photographing 'motorized movement' and—the biggest trick of all—combining it with live action…. Footage that Disney does for $250,000 we do for $18,000."
"Pretty sure kids love pictures with mouthholes cut out of them as much as cartoons. It's cheaper and everybody loves it just as much."

Fan Art

Surprisingly none. I mean, it isn't a "well regarded" show, but it is a remembered one.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 AM

Colonel Bleep

Yes, it's Colonel Bleep. Let's see if the intro will tell us.

We start out with crazy weird clock that just... tick away for 12 seconds. I won't lie, they are cool, if somewhat unhelpful clocks. I mean, unless you like clocks that beep approximately 2.4 seconds.

"AND NOW, STAND BY FOR ADVENTUUUUURE!"

Intones the announcer. As this happens, we watch a ship being constructed with a surprising smoothness that looks impressive for a 1950's cartoon. I mean, it isn't amazing but considering most cartoons back then were this...

...even this small act of "giving a mild try" feels impressive.

"Three. Two. One."

The smoothness gives way to slight jerkiness as the rocket moves out of shape to rocket up. That said, timing each jerky movement with the countdown at least make it feel like a stylistic choice.

We then see the rocket rocketing through the rocket-- er, cosmos.

"In the exciting story of... *explosion sound* The Ingenious Invention".

Um... you didn't want to tell us the show's title, did you? Or was Colonel Bleep such a big deal that he/she (but let's face it, he) needed no introduction?

Only because it gave me so little.

Joseph Barbera may have had a hand in the show but don't let that scare you. Because here is the premise of the show. Get ready to have your mind's ass blown off.

Quote:
In 1945, the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are noticed by two figures: Scratch, a caveman from a vague prehistoric era who had been asleep since the last Stone Age and was awakened by the bombings; and the denizens of the exoplanet Futura. The Futurans, an alien race with heads shaped like Reuleaux triangles and small, slender bodies, send one of their own, Colonel Bleep, to investigate. Upon reaching Earth, Bleep commissions Scratch as a deputy, with Bleep representing the future and Scratch the past. Representing the present day is Squeak, a cowboy puppet toy that can move on its own volition but cannot speak (as a puppet, it cannot speak on its own). Together, the three establish a base at Zero Zero Island in the Atlantic Ocean to protect Earth's solar system from extraterrestrial threats.
This feels... wow. I can't imagine this being as dense and ambitious as it sounds. It's a children's cartoon where an alien, a puppet and a caveman form a super-team in reaction to humanities ability to revolutionize mass murder. I mean, the bombing of Japan? Wow, that's... a lot to take in. I can't imagine it doing it in a sensitive manner considering how people of Asian descent appeared in American cartoons in those days but... I am still kind of in awe of the show now.

I really may have to watch some of this.

Fan Art

Hey, I actually found one.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:11 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I am... intensely curious about Colonel Bleep from that description
Old 01-20-2019, 07:56 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I've brought up Col. Bleep before! It's good. Just be prepared to expect VERY limited animation.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 AM

Felix the Cat

If you are wondering (I'm almost certain you aren't), Deputy Dawg did originate in the 50's but he didn't have a TV show until the 60's, so we are skipping it. Instead, we are going with Felix the Cat, a character... I really don't know that well. I mean, I've certainly seen him before. I know he has a magic bag of tricks that can transform and stuff. I've seen the clocks in movies. But I really don't know what, if anything, makes Felix so long lived. Did the comics or cartoons have creative stories? Maybe. I really don't know, though, as I've never seen one.

Maybe the intro to his first TV series can give us a hand! Or... a paw?!? *exaggerated shrug*

Also worth noting that this year is Felix's 100th anniversary! In cat years, that's probably a lot. Like 5000? What do you mean, that's too many? How long are cats supposed to live.

Oh? Oh, dear.

Anyway.

We start with the words "Trans-Lux presents", which maybe means "Beyond Light presents". So that's cool. But I don't know enough about physics to understand the full weight of that premise.

We then see the name (possessively speaking) "Pat Sullivan's" followed by THE VERY THING HE POSSESSES! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?

And what does he possess. You are never going to believe this shit. It's "Felix the Cat". Felix's first name appears on little coloured squares, ransom note style, as little magical notes play for each one that appears. We then get a little circle that says "The Cat" (Felix's middle and last names, probably respectively.)

We also find out that it was produced by THE Joe Oriolo. I'm sure all the children watching at home were jazzed to learn that!

Some singing begins.

"Felix the cat,
The wonderful, wonderful cat.
Whenever he gets in a fix,
he reaches into his bag of tricks."

Not much to say about that. It let's us know Felix's quality as a cat and how he gets out of trouble.

Anyway, we get a shot of Felix's disembodied head as it looks at us with a slight, white aura in a blue void.

"Felix the cat,
The wonderful, wonderful cat.
You'll laugh so much your sides will ache,
You're heart will go pitter-pat.
Watchin' Felix, the wonderful cat"

Do not watch Felix the Cat with pregnant women and the elderly.

And there we are.

No. But I would watch some of the older cartoons, probably.

The only thing worth really noting is that this cartoon actually introduced the "bag of tricks". I suspect the cartoon itself isn't that great, but I do like that bag and I feel like it would be better served in the classic animation rather than the limited animation the show used.

Oh, one other thing: Felix is actually fairly popular in Japan due to this show airing there back in the 60's.

Fan Art

Good art but man... too smug.

This one looks like a really strong proof of concept that I feel bad saying why I don't like it. It's mostly really great. My problems are little things: I miss the Pac-Man eyes. I miss the rounder head. Otherwise, really good looking Felix.

This one is also pretty good. We definitely have eye-Pac again. But I feel like Felix is supposed to look like a throwback to a certain extend so the modern sheen isn't working for me. Still really good though.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 AM
BAG

Fan Art #1 isn't viewable.

But as for Fan Art #2, that drawing on the left has gotta be the best way to give someone the finger.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
Fan Art #1 isn't viewable.
Works for me. I feel like this is one of those pictures where the only way to look at it embedded is to view its source, then it pops up elsewhere just fine. I've seen stuff like that before. It's weird.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

Embeds all work fine for me, which is saying something given that I'm at work and TT embeds usually don't.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:44 AM
I hunt Mondays.

I'm sure this is because the video covers multiple show openings and not just the 50s one, but wet naked 80s anime ostrich-lizard-grinch thing is still not what I would've ever expected to see as a header image for a video about Felix the Cat.

Well okay, maybe on a Deviant Art Felix the Cat video. But I still did not expect that, and I say this having thoroughly watched the mid 90s drug trip iteration of Felix.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

50's Felix the Cat aired on Teletoon Retro, so I have seen some of it and it is... not worth pursuing.

Felt like a more sedate, lamer Gumby, but with worse visuals
Old 01-22-2019, 10:08 AM
King Of Space-Time

The modern movie was weird and strange...
Old 01-22-2019, 10:15 AM
Mystery Contraption

I recall the 90s cartoon as being a kind of self-aware Ren & Stimpy-ish thing.

9-Year-Old Octo thought it was worth paying attention to
Old 01-22-2019, 10:42 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
The modern movie was weird and strange...
I rented it once decades ago, but I'd mostly forgotten about it. All I really remembered was that it had a few things that originated in the 50s show (i.e. the magic bag, Professor & Poindexter) and that there was a princess.

Without having watched the video, I'm assuming the creature I was talking about last post was in the trailer for the 80s movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I recall the 90s cartoon as being a kind of self-aware Ren & Stimpy-ish thing.

9-Year-Old Octo thought it was worth paying attention to
The show definitely took inspiration from shows like Ren & Stimpy for its animation, as well as the crazy cartoons of the early 20th century. Referring to it as a "drug trip" was not an insult, it's just what the show was actually like.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:39 AM

The Harveytoons Show

Harveytoons! The one comic book/cartoon company I don't see anyone care about. Like, when I was younger, I'd say that "well, no one but young kids still read and appreciate Archie" But even not counting the recent revision of what Archie is, I have seen a few people talk about the actually good points of classic style Archie and the works of folks like Dan Parent. I don't really see it, but I will take their word for it (I will say, even in the old school Archie stuff, I've always been a Jughead booster).

But Harvey? Well, Casper is a bit of a boring character but at least there's the inherent drama of a ghost who wants a friend but only seems to scare them off. Apart from that there's... a little witch? A little devil? Casper, but a jerk with a stupid nose? A rich person, but he's young? A big dumb baby? If I'm wrong, any Harvey fans can call me out on it, but I feel like Harvey is to Hanna Barbera as Hanna Barbera is to other cartoons. That's how dull I find these characters. At least, Hanna Barbera know to cling to the coattails of established celebs. Harvey feels more like a comic book within a not very good comic to demonstrate someone reading something banal.

So... that's Harveytoons to me.

Now, to be clear, I THINK this is the original intro to the Harveytoons Show, but even the uploader isn't 100% sure (someone says it is but also says "this is the intro I remember from the 60s", which is not the 50s). As for me? Well, it is in color, but colorizing for reruns of black and white cartoons was pretty common. The animation is what confuses me... it looks so, unlimited. But it also looks old. But also also, it doesn't look theatrical. So... I THINK it's the right one? Well, let's go with it anyway.

We start with a big red H. Probably for helipad. This show is about a helipad.

But we pull back and see everyone's favourite Harveytoons characters.

From left to right we have: Bugs Rabbit, A Mouse, Baby Huey the Big Dumb Baby Duck Baby, Girl, Casper the Recognizable Ghost, A Cat, Crow Who Wears a Straw Hat and Turtle Who Wears A Straw Hat. All your favourites.

And out of the H pops a jack-in-the-box jester. He unfurls some letters that spell out "Harveytoon", in case you haven't been warned already of the mediocrity. We then see the Hat-Owning Crow, the Hat-Owning Turtle, Wendy the Little Witch and Spooky, the Tuff [sic] Little Ghost. Then another generic cat. Then a worm with a top hat (if this was Hanna Barbera, you KNOW he'd talk like WC Fields). Finally we get a really DULL looking rabbit character to end this parade of disappointment as 1950's music continues.

No thanks forever.

So the two characters with straw hats have NOTHING to do with each other. Straw hats were just popular with the kids, back then. And that SPECIFIC kind of hat, too (I don't know hat names so I don't know how to describe them.

Fan Art

Casper and Audrey are really trying to respect each other's personal bubbles. You could fit another guy between them.

Is this Little Audrey in Fallout? I guess it makes sense with the 50's aesthetic.

This one is confusing. I tried to look up Michelle Finkle and... I guess it's some sort of fanon original character for random things? Who also looks really generic. I looked up the wiki that could help and I couldn't make heads or tails of it. So I won't bother.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 01-24-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:05 AM
Mystery Contraption

100% of my goodwill towards Harvey and its properties come from the fact that they also published Wil Eisners The Spirit.

Though I *think* they may have only handled the reprints, not the original run.

STILL THOUGH, those were some good-ass comics.

When they weren't being cringingly racist, at least.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:52 AM
Senhor Member

That’s an intro to the Gumby show.

I think this is the intro you were talking about?

I was apparently interested in Harveytoons as a child because of Casper, especially when he was live-action Devon Sawa. I remember several of these characters from books at my grandparents’ house. Good cat/skunk?, imo! No idea who it is.

That synchro vox from a while ago is incredible!
Old 01-24-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
That’s an intro to the Gumby show.

I think this is the intro you were talking about?

I was apparently interested in Harveytoons as a child because of Casper, especially when he was live-action Devon Sawa. I remember several of these characters from books at my grandparents’ house. Good cat/skunk?, imo! No idea who it is.

That synchro vox from a while ago is incredible!
Thanks, that's the exact one I meant to use. Will fix. I was looking at that Gumby intro but it's incomplete and therefore doesn't count.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:55 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
So the two characters with straw hats have NOTHING to do with each other. Straw hats were just popular with the kids, back then. And that SPECIFIC kind of hat, too (I don't know hat names so I don't know how to describe them.
I think it's called a boater (among many other names).
Old 01-24-2019, 08:11 PM

THANK YOU. I knew that once, but I just don't have the time to look up types of hats. Also, is there are cartoon boat who wears a boater? Seems like that should happen.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:33 PM
BAG

Little Audrey (GIRL) is probably the most interesting character, and that's only because of her dark, dark past. She was created so that Paramount or someone could keep making Little Lulu cartoons without paying Lulu's creator (and those cartoons aren't even much like the original Lulu comics).

Also, those flesh-colored nearly human hands and feet on RABBIT are terrifying.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:12 AM

Herge's Adventures of Tintin

Hey, something that has a nice pedigree of quality. And looking at the intro... well, it doesn't look awful. It makes sense to give a try since Tintin is a pretty big deal in the comics world. Hell, it's such a big deal, there are "tintinologists", obsessive scholars of the comic itself, dissecting and breaking down the work of art that is Tintin. Tintin is a comic I found myself more respecting than loving, though I hold a couple stories in high regard (especially Destination Moon/Explorers on the Moon) and downright love the character of Captain Haddock, the grumpy, drunken sailor. My problem is often with the earlier stories, which I find has a repetitive rhythm, probably due to the fact that it was an ongoing serialized work with cliffhangers and such.

I also found Tintin, the character, a bit bland. He lives in an interesting world, to be sure, with wild characters but while he is needed as a grounding force and a stalwart hero, I guess I just don't have strong feelings about him as a character. I know some people have the same complaints about Superman but I feel there's more going on there than "perfect guy". But Tintin... I guess I just don't get that guy. Also, isn't it weird that he's a "reporter" and we never see him... reporting? It's more like he says "I'm going to go reporting now" and has an adventure and seems to answer to no one. I'm saying I don't think Tintin has a job and he's a rich adventurer who doesn't want to play taxes.

The other issue is, of course, the racism, but it's also weird because I feel like as the series went on, it was trying very much trying to correct itself and show people of other cultures with respect. Emphasis on trying. Te first few were retrospectively embarrassing to Herge, who regretted his offensive "savages" in Tintin in the Congo and his propagandist approach to Russia (which is to say, "Very anti-commie") in "Tintin in the Land of the Soviet". In addition, in one of the stories (I suspect more than one but I can only think of one specific example) written while Herge was living in France and France was under Nazi occupation features a villain with physically "Jewish" characteristic that has since been redrawn to be less obviously semitic. But as the series went on, he tried to make the series of an exploration of cultures. Was it successful? *waving hand in so-so motion*. The intent is certainly there but there's still problems to be sure. We see some Aztecs who are basically naive about eclipses and other such things. But he's trying to do different stuff. In "The Castifiore Emerald", one of the most acclaimed stories due to it defying the usual Tintin formula in an inventive way, Tintin is in a low stakes adventure trying to figure out who stole an emerald. It deals with a caravan of gypsies who are a red herring and there's a message about not making assumptions about other people. But they also don't get much in the way of characterization beyond the conventional gypsy looks/behaviour and being understandably upset for being suspected. So in many ways it probably did a lot more good than harm in the discourse but a lot of it doesn't hold up well.

I was a HUGE fan of the recent animated movie and consider it one of Speilberg's most underrated movies. It's got great direction, a fun script by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish and a great performance by Andy Serkis as Haddock. In addition, it really fixes the uncanny valley stuff that has plagued the somewhat similar looking Robert Zemekis movies but both having the animation more realistic but also including really exaggerated features in it's characters that came from the comics. It really works much better than a "realistic Tintin" should. It's a bold move, considering the source material is lauded for it's beautifully simple linework, known as "ligne claire" due to it's very clear, uncluttered style where the lines are all the same width and there's very little hatching and shadow. But it really does work. I'm saying if you haven't seen the Tintin movie, you really should. It was one of the greatest movie-going experiences I can remember.

This was actually the third adaptation of Tintin in any format, the first two being stage plays that played in Brussels in the 40's. But this is the first in the medium it was meant to be in (after, of course, comic books): animation.

There are actually two for this one. It might be even more. I'm not sure if each story had a different intro or if it just used a special one for the adaptation of the Shooting Star.

We begin with a passenger plane flying through the air. It makes sense to start here since Tintin novels are generally globe-hopping adventures (in fact, when Speilberg was promoting Indiana Jones in Europe, he met people who mistakenly thought Speilberg was inspired by Tintin and ended up introducing it to him, which DID inspire him to get involved with the movie he directed). Dramatic music plays as Tintin jumps out with his faithful dog Snowy (Milou for those francophones out there). It's a pretty exciting way to start your show, especially in an era where most opens where just the show title and a character's face. We cut to Tintin's parachute already being open and then close up on the two intrepid heroes as the announcers proclaim "Herge's Adventures of Tintin". I also like that the actual title is still in French, since I grew up with shows going to strangely absurd lengths hide the cultural origins of these shows. Even Pokemon tried to pretend that onigiri were "donuts", like we're goddamned morons or something.

We then see Snowy running under a fence, Tintin jumping over it and, thanks to some clumsy editing, Captain Haddock just... on his head. Like he probably fell there, but it's weird. I mean, with the parachute, it's easier to figure out the jump in the narrative. I guess kind of here, too, but isn't it more fun to watch Haddock smash his head into the ground than not. Prof. Calculus looks on.

We then see an old castle and the title of the episode: "L'Ile Noire" (as the announcer says "Black Island!"

The next opening is much shorter.

We start off with a planet exploding, which is a bigger deal than your usual Tintin adventures which tends to involve smuggling and espionage. We then see Snowy holding onto the wing of a plane as the announcer proclaims, once again "Herge's Adventures of Tintin". Reminder to opening credits guys: if you bellow a show with the protagonists name, first time viewers will assume whoever you paste up on screen is probably that protagonist. So now some kids are thinking Tintin is a dog and if they are a dog lover, you are going to disappoint them.

We then see a biplane flying around, then a comet heading for the audience. We then get the title ""L'Etoile Mysterieuse" or... "The Star of Mystery"!

So I have good things and bad things to say. The animation looks solid for 1950's TV. It doesn't liike like the usual limited animation with paper cut outs. But I tend to not like just using footage for your opening. You can do it cleverly and artfully and this did it... fine, but I think in the end I'd prefer an original piece.

Yeah. Seems neat.

Each episode is about 5 minutes, which I kind of like and probably works well in adapting the chapters. However, apparently there were a lot of changes from the source material, even though they were direct adaptions for specific classic stories.

Oh, and Paul Frees voiced Captain Haddock. That's good casting.

Fan Art
As you might expect, there's some great stuff here. Like these partially manga inspired look that's pretty nifty.

SNOWY! IS! PISSED!

This one is great, too. Little Tintin clearly wanting to be an adventurer (or maybe the whole series was in the imagination of a bored little boy.

Seriously, do yourself a favour and look up Tintin fan art. A lot of it is really good.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:25 AM
Mystery Contraption

I... had no idea that there were any Tintin adaptations before the 90s (80s?) cartoon that was a fixture of Early YTV.

That one was really good too, though.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:56 AM

The Huckleberry Hound Show

Hey, it's Hanna Barbera! It's not their first appearance on the list (which was Auggie Doggy and Doggy Daddy) but it feels like it's been a while. Pioneers in TV animation by virtue of being there, the animation studio continues to begin it's reign of ubiquity here (the first HB show has been yet to be introduced.)

So here we have the Huckleberry Hound Show. But it's not just notable for introducing an amiable Andy Griffith-style dog. It introduced some other HB mainstays, including one of their biggest. But we'll get to that. Here's the intro!

We begin with a clear sign of who is paying for this show as the rooster from Corn Flakes (who is named... Roostery? Dr. Corn? Mr. "Don't forget to add bananas or you won't want to eat it"? ) shows up to knock on a door on a tent in the middle of a packed circus. Huckleberry Hound opens the door and the rooster hides behind it, for reasons unknown. Also, I'm used to Huckleberry wearing a straw boater (THANK YOU, TORZELBAUM) but now he's wearing a detective get up and... is that something I'm supposed to know? I don't think I knew about the detective angle. Which means that he's just another body of the big pile of detective characters that HB has. I'm amazed The Great Gazoo isn't a detective.

"And a HOOOOund dog howdy to y'all!"

I also didn't know he had what appears to be a catchphrase. If I had a friend who insisted on introducing himself this way, he wouldn't be my friend. And I already have a small number of them.

"This is Detective Huckleberry Hound tracking down what's coming up on the show." Says the blue dog as he analyzes the ground with his magnifying glass while walking, something only cartoon detectives do.

"Well see here now! What's this?" Asks Huckleberry as a couple of mice, one wearing a bowtie, the other wearing a vest, who are carrying a present. "Hi Pixie, Hi Dixie" He says to the mice. I don't know much about Pixie and Dixie but I feel like their characterizations might begin with "mice" and end with "with rhyming names".

"Hi Huck", says probably Dixie.

"What's in the box, boys?" asks Huck. "A present for Jinx." Says Dixie (I mean, it's got to be Dixie, right?)

Before you can says "Who that is?" a furry arm reaches for the present. "I'll take it!" Says a cat who is probably Jinx (though could be a jerk cat who is stealing a present from a character named Jinx.) "I like presents."

I already relate to Jinx a lot.

"Now how about that, a copter cap." Says Jinx, as if that's a thing. But so it is, as he pulls out a metallic beanie with a propeller. "I wonder if it works."

He spins the propeller and flies into the air. "Bye Bye, Jinxy" says Dixie (I'M POSITIVE NOW!).

I'm not sure how I was supposed to interpret that. Did some mice give their natural enemy, a cat, a hat that would get rid of him as a trick or did they give their unlikely friend, a cat, the gift of flight? I know so little about these characters, I really don't know. Although "ambiguous relationship between mice and cat" might be one of the more interesting hooks for a Hanna Barbera character.

Back to Huckleberry, Yogi Bear pops into frame in a funny disguise (well, for Hanna Barbera, which is to say "not"). "Excuse me, sir." says the bear with an Art Carney/Yogi Berra theme. "I don't believe we've met yet." responds the blue Andy Griffith dog. "Don't you re-cog-ni-size me, Huck?" Asks Yogi. "Not under that disguise, Yogi." says the dog again. They have fun, these two.

"You knew, didn't you." responds Yogi, sounding a bit like a proto-Bullwinkle Moose in this line. "Why sure," says Huckleberry, invading Yogi's personal bubble to place a finger on him (bold, power move, Huck) "You're one of the stars of the show."

"And the same goes for you too."

"Why shucks," says Huckleberry, being very modest, "Everyone's a star on the Huckleberry Hound Show!"

Nice attitude, but I feel like there are definitely a "tier" of star in this group. Like for HB, Yogi is shooting straight for A even this early in his career while Jinx is... G? I mean, a solid G.

"So let's go!" Says Huck, looking through a magnifying glass. And thus began the HB's era of the dog-tective!

Not really, though I like the fact that it's an actual full intro that makes you feel like you are at a fun hangout party for talking animals. No memorable theme song, but these guys are trying to make you feel at home.

When Yogi left the show in 1960, he was replaced by Hokey Wolf and Ding-A-Ling, which sounds like characters from the pen of Roger Meyers Sr.

Based on a true story.

Daws Butler also claims that despite HB constantly using voices that were specific references to popular stars, he says this one was just a friendly Southern voice he was fond of.

Strangely, however, Jinx the cat is supposed to sound like Marlon Brando which... I don't hear.

Fan Art

I like this one but... I don't like it when hats just hover over characters' heads.

"Finally, a poster for my drum circle!" said some old, old hippie.

Turns out he felt he could tell someone.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:59 AM
Mystery Contraption

That first one has a kind of 2 Stupid Dogs vibe...