The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 AM
so exciting!

black lightning, season 1 thoughts:
  • a bulletproof lesbian is a welcome change to the cw status quo, but it seems this did not become the network standard for some reason??
  • a lot of the original music for the show is cringeworthy
  • this show works overtime trying to not upset white people (for reference: i'm on the episode where bulletproof lesbian is training with black lightning and she breaks a hologram's ankle because he's a white man with a confederate flag on his shirt and black lightning is lecturing her about how that was The Wrong Thing To Do)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:40 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
  • this show works overtime trying to not upset white people (for reference: i'm on the episode where bulletproof lesbian is training with black lightning and she breaks a hologram's ankle because he's a white man with a confederate flag on his shirt and black lightning is lecturing her about how that was The Wrong Thing To Do)
Honestly, given how FUCKING BAD 99% of TV writers are when it comes to tackling TOPICAL ISSUES, and that Black Lightning is basically TOPICAL ISSUES: THE SHOW, I'm just glad it wasn't way the fuck worse.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:41 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

But yeah that scene was a major "what the fuck are you doing YOU ALREADY LOST THAT PART OF THE AUDIENCE AT THE TITLE WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO REACH HERE" moment.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:02 PM
so exciting!

Me: Oh I bet Tobias's sister is actually a figment of his imagination because she was actually murdered by their abusive father, that would explain why all these scenes are kind of weird.
The Show: Nope, but we will be doing this with Lala and LaWanda in a few episodes, so stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
But yeah that scene was a major "what the fuck are you doing YOU ALREADY LOST THAT PART OF THE AUDIENCE AT THE TITLE WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO REACH HERE" moment.
it's extra ridiculous because they just did the episode where she destroys the confederate monument and everyone is like "That was the Wrong Thing To Do"
Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

It was the right thing to do tho.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:15 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

If I woke up one morning with superpowers, I'd immediately take a cross-country road trip across the southeast just, fucking brutalizing every confederate monument on the map.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:15 PM
This Guy

Did it actually seem like the viewer was supposed to think Black Lightning was in the right there? Because if I remember the scene correctly, (it has been a year, so I might not) I didn't think the show was necessarily saying he was right. Usually, he and Thunder have an ongoing give and take about what is "the right way" to do things and I have rarely found the show to fully backing Black Lightning's stance. Just as often it is showing him as somewhat out of of touch. Like when he gets onto Thunder for playing Robin Hood in the second season.

Admittedly, as far as superhero TV shows that deal in topic issues, I rate Black Lightning as the best at it. It at least presents a coherent view, even if it isn't one I always agree with.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:05 PM
so exciting!

it feels like there's an episode missing somewhere, because Bulletproof Lesbian's exploits are destroying the confederate monument and then getting into a fight with Black Lightning, both of which happen in her Captain Marvel costume, and then we don't see her do anything publicly for a while, then she's all "I'm Thunder" to her sister but it seems like that's the first time they use her code name, but everyone acts like she's a known superhero at that point, and then we see her suit up in the Gambi Suit for the first time, and it just sort of seems like we should have seen her transition into Thunder a little bit more
Old 02-11-2019, 07:30 PM
This Guy

I am considering a retraction of my defense of Black Lightning after tonight's episode. In what was otherwise a solid episode that made some big changes, and really amped up the superhero nonsense, Black Lightning gave a speech to the school board that they should keep the new racist principal and let him implement his racist policies because Black Lightning wasn't sure he was a safe choice to replace him, since being a superhero is dangerous. That is a fine reason for Jefferson to not be principal, but that doesn't make his points about how much of a terrible little shit this guy is any less valid. It is such a sour note in an otherwise entertaining "oh no, have the villains won?" episode.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 PM

That's pretty unfortunate about Black Lightning.

Meanwhile, Oliver Queen has recently decided that cops are great actually, and that he too should become a cop. He also spent half a year being brutalized and tortured in jail, and his big takeaway from the entire event was, "Maybe... I am the problem???"

I have to assume this is less a, "We don't understand our audience," kind of deal, and more a, "We very much understand our nervous cis white male bosses," issue. It's the only thing that makes sense.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:01 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Officially Deputizing Oliver queen as a part of the police force means the show is now following in the footsteps of the original TV superhero show, BATMAN starring Adam west.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:05 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

I maintain that the reasonable end to Arrow as a series was the end of Last season, where Arrow went to jail and was more or less at peace with it because yeah.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:37 PM
so exciting!

Black Lightning season 1 chat:
  • Nothing makes me feel older than this show using a black and white filter during flashbacks to the long long ago of, like, 1987 or so.
  • Also lol at that funeral flashback in the season 1 finale where it's raining but you can clearly tell it's a sunny day.
  • Does season 2 deal with the emotional repercussions of Dr. Mom shot gunning multiple guys to death or....?
  • I'm not really clear on the Villain Dynamics - Tobias was working for Lady Eve, who was working for the Racist Make America Great Again White Guy?
  • Speaking of: Kinda lame that they had Racist Make America Great Again White Guy, like, literally say He Wants To Make America Great Again (twice!) but then tried to backtrack so he wasn't really working for the US Government.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Well, looks like Cicada actually is the big bad for this season of The Flash. But at least he’s made the transition from “Man with knife and asthma” to “Lesser Mortal Kombat villain”, which is an improvement.

Also, can’t help but feel that Joe being written out of the show, and as much as I like Nora and Cecile, that’s a trade down!

Joes cartoonish camera-mugging was The heart and soul of the show!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:13 PM
Senhor Member

Good evening to Rita Farr, who will become a destructive mass of roiling flesh without positive feedback, and Rita Farr only.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Was anyone able to watch Doom Patrol, either because you have that DC subscription thing or you're in a country where it's on some other less terrible service?

Was it any good?
Old 02-15-2019, 07:18 PM
Senhor Member

I think it was okay! The app says the episode was only 33 minutes but it was in fact 58. Really liked Rita Farr. A bit too much “this is not a typical super hero story” narration. (seems like it is, imo!) I liked the deranged Titans pilot more but then again I was coming into that a fan and expected to enjoy it, whereas I didn’t like Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol and wasn’t really looking forward to this.

Notes:
  • there is a homosexual, how wonderful
  • like alan tudyk’s papercut guy (don’t know his name)
  • brendan fraser is groped for Comedy?
Old 02-23-2019, 03:37 AM

First two episodes sure was something. I think I liked it? I dunno, it's a mixed bag.

Things I liked:
-When Brendan Fraser was too busy to be a sad-sack.
-Timothy Dalton's face
-How much fun these actors seem like they're having when they get to ham it up
-How unintentionally derpy Robotman looks at times with his weird gait and his fucking face
-That donkey
-Literally any time Alan Tudyk opens his mouth, which is often, because he is the GOAT narrator
-The dynamic and chemistry all the characters are already sharing between each other
-Timothy Dalton's face
-Alan Tudyk's face
-Alan Tudyk's voice
-Alan Tudyk's everything

Things I was indifferent about:
-This version of Cyborg, including an in-universe explanation for why he's being played by a relatively short guy.
-Crazy Jane's whole... shtick.
-Meta-references.

Things I disliked:
-Every time the show spent dealing with the damage of these characters, which was about 50% of the show so far by weight.
-The handful of times the Justice League and its members gets name dropped, which just made me want to watch a show about them instead of this every time

I think there could possibly be a pretty good show to come out of this maybe, but we'll see how things go. If the show can ever get past "wow, we all have issues!" then it could probably turn into something genuinely really fun. But so far it's kinda... something. It also doesn't seem remotely prepared at all to deliver on action, since nobody but Cyborg seems capable of fighting in this show. And uh, I dunno how far this show can go when Alan Tudyk seems hellbent on stealing every scene he's in, but his place in the show doesn't feel sustainable long-term.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:51 AM
Senhor Member

Robotman doesn’t work for me. Lot of jokes coming from an expressionless, kind of cheap-looking head. It’s hard to connect with, like, a lot of these characters because two don’t have faces and one is Crazy Jane. I do think it was kinda cute when whoever’s playing Matt Bomer’s body saluted Cyborg. I was sort of embarrassed for the show for the first half of episode two but it got better.

Still like Rita a lot. “I am a Golden Globe nominee!”
Old 03-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Outraged!

Actually caught an episode of Flash last night, first time in months. I don’t understand any of the choices made by the characters.

They agonize over turning a shark dude into a not shark dude without express written consent, even though he seems pretty cool with what happened, then everyone is immediately on board for letting him permanently ruin his life again without really trying anything else to beat a giant gorilla they’ve had a pretty good success rate against. Then everyone is completely fine with putting said gorilla into a (permanent?) medically induced coma.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:46 PM

The morality of The Flash has always low key been tenuous at best, and usually horrifying and insane.

Ollie continually grapples with his nature of being a vigilante who works outside of the law and repeatedly works to increase his justice quotient, this season going so far as to work for the police directly to increase his transparency and accountability to the public.

Meanwhile Barry has a chamber of horrors where people are detained indefinitely without due process into tiny isolation chambers in something that looks and sounds more horrifying than Guantanamo Bay, and at no point is this policy or facility ever meaningfully questioned or remedied.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:26 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

TBF; the ethical problems with the Pipeline were brought up as early as the first season, and ever since have been used as an emergency stopgap measure to incarcerate supervillains until the police could pick them up. And usually used on Barry when his powers go nuts.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:32 PM
This Guy

Also, everyone they kept in the pipeline has been moved at this point. Or died. Don't worry to much about that. It was a problem that the show stumbled on (the DC Universe has superhero prisons, but with The Flash being the start of superheroes such facilities didn't exist) and took about 3 seasons to actually deal with.

The show is better when it ignores such questions because it hasn't proved able to actually deal with them.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:54 PM

Default Fuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Amell on his twitter
Playing Oliver Queen has been the greatest professional experience of my life... but you can’t be a vigilante forever.

Arrow will return for a final run of 10 episodes this Fall.

There’s so much to say... for now I just want to say thank you.
Fuck. IMO looks like he'll die in Crisis on Infinite Earths to save Barry & Kara...

Last edited by WisteriaHysteria; 03-06-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Fuuuuuckkk....
Old 03-07-2019, 07:54 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

I was just coming here to post about that.

Arrow was weird, then it was bad, and then it was REALLY Bad and then it was... kinda awesome?

I maintain that the best possible ending would still have been to just close on Oliver in jail, more or less at peace with his confinement, but I'm interested to see exactly how they're going to actually END this thing.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:55 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

I'm enjoying Arrow's current season, but I'm also not even bothering to pay attention to the MEANWHILE IN THE FUTURE! bits.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:37 AM
This Guy

I would say we knew this was coming sooner or later, but Cw still has Supernatural chugging along 15 seasons in. Still, 8 seasons and 170 odd episodes is nothing to sneeze art.

I haven't watched much of the last season and a half. I still have some find feelings toward the show. Amell was always great as Oliver.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:20 PM
This Guy

I've caught up with the last couple of episodes of Supergirl and The Flash, as well as tonight's Black Lightning.

Black Lightning, racist principal notwithstanding, remains my favorite CW show. This season is widening the scope and losing control a little, but it still quality television. The show is starting to add tons more "metas" and factions trying to control them, but it is wisely keeping most of the focus on the Pierce family. It does only have one more episode and I wonder how it is going to catch all these balls it's been juggling.

On The Flash it is so good to see Joe back. The show really missed his presence. I appreciate the ambition of trying to do a King Shark v. Gorilla Grodd fight, but I don't know if it had the budget for it. Cicada is at his best when he is not present.

As for Supergirl: the show is trying so hard. It means well, and has a lot of good things going on. I don't know that the show is equipped to deal with the issues it is raising this season. I praised it early in the season, largely for its ambition, but as it has went along it doesn't appear that there is going to be a satisfying resolution to this story. At least this season has made me a fan of Brainiac 5.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Cicada is at his best when he is not present.
QTF.

If this season doesn't end with Cicada being a fakeout big bad, as merely a shitty plot device for the Reverse Flash to make his triumphant return, I'm going to be pretty upset.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Senhor Member

Pilots of DCU stuff are free to watch. The last few episodes of Doom Patrol have been v. good though with moments of much corniness.

Tags
bad thread titles , don’t worry sven i get it , fuck batman , i am cyborg superman , i don't get it , nobody gets it , praise beebo , superhero tv , too many speedsters