The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

I admit, the episode nearly got me with the whole 'Saru is totes dying guys really' thing. Not sure how I feel about it being a misdirection for the purpose of neutering one of his defining traits, though.

And I guess next time we're going to be focused on saving Tilly from Mushroom Narnia.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:19 AM

Default Also, Tig Notaro is amaze pls stick around pls

I HATED Saru's entire deathbed scene, because it was suuuuper long, and I was bored stiff knowing it wasn't real. I mean, I didn't know it wasn't real, but c'mon. They weren't killing off their best actor/character four episodes in.

BUT! If it'll get rid of dumb ganglything, I'm A-Ok with it. Saru's defining trait is that he's Doug Jones doing Doug Jones things. If we're talking personality, his defining traits are that he's studious, measured, cautious, but intellectually curious, has a sharp wit, is compassionate, and is rigorously by-the-book. He's got a lot more going on for him than a dumbo gimmick that boils down to "I'm scared, guys!" as a metaphorical canary in the mines.

Season 2 seems hell-bent on "fixing" a lot of the poorly thought out or inconsistent ideas from Season 1, for better or worse. I didn't need Pike to issue an order to rip out the holo projectors from the walls. But freeing Saru from a poorly conceived plot device so that he can further grow as a character seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Last edited by WisteriaHysteria; 02-08-2019 at 03:30 AM. Reason: I just know not spoiler tagging this is gonna ruffle feathers
Old 02-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

I gotta admit I pretty much lost it at Space Oddity. Sure it's one of those "some folks in the 23rd century just *happen* to be really into some pop culture from our lifetime" moments, but I don't care.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:47 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I gotta admit I pretty much lost it at Space Oddity.
Same.

I'm also glad that this is a streaming series, because the episodes can be as long as they need to. And while some scenes could be trimmed, sure, I'm glad this version of the episode exists - both the fake death and the Space Oddity scenes got to me.

I just hope they don't make Saru suddenly start making too reckless decisions and putting his crew in danger unnecessarily.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:31 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

That scene was dumb but I’m pretty invested in Saru’s backstory now.
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM
Absolutely The Worst

Re Fourth episode:

I actually adored the “death scene” for Saru for one reason: it makes sense for how Kelpians have been oppressed for their entire existence as a species. Losing one’s ganglia is clearly maturation into adulthood. Of course their oppressors/predators would “cull” any kelpian who no longer innately fears. And of course their society would think any kelpian lacking constant underlying fear had gone mad. Especially with the pain and suffering they go through this traumatic time. (Imagine human puberty if it happened in a week? Christ.)

This is a huge thing for both the species and the Federation and they did an excellent job of making the viewer fill in the cracks in terms of the full picture and ramifications. Saru is literally the first of his species in recorded history to make it into adulthood. No one has any idea, Federation or otherwise. I bet even the Ba’ur have forgotten the reason why culls happened when they did.

And now knowing this, what will Starfleet do?
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

According to the preview, we'll find out the answer to that last question in Ep 6.

Meanwhile I'm not sure what I want to say about Ep 5 that's not a spoiler but damn I love this show. Okay so they may be pushing their quota of fake death scenes right now but it's all so well done that I don't care. Both Orville and Disco keep making me cry, but Disco's tears feel a lot better earned.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Absolutely The Worst

Another neat thing I just realised is that it was so dramatic and overwhelming because natural selection was doing it’s damnedness to get anyone to maturation. Gradual puberty/maturation/whatever you call it wasn’t cutting it because the Ba’ur were interfering and so (forgive me for anthropomorphising) Nature basically threw up her hands and said “FUCK IT, WE’RE DOING IT LIVE AT WARP 9.9.

All that trauma and suffering for poor Saru cos Life just had to Find A Way.
Old Today, 12:11 AM

With regards to Saru's people, I wouldn't liken it to sexual maturity. It honestly seems more like reaching menopause. And I think if you accept that this is a natural stage in his species' life cycle, it would probably match up better as an analogy as well. A herbivorous species preyed upon by predators losing their survival instinct once they've gotten too old could be a factor naturally selected for giving their herd a better chance of survival if they aren't carrying around the dead weight of the elderly. Or that the loss of that survival mechanism made for the elderly of his species to better transition into a caretaker or guidance role in their society. However, I wouldn't necessarily chalk this development as a natural life cycle thing; I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Kelpians were genetically manipulated to keep docile/subservient by this predator-species.

With regards to the question of "what will Starfleet do?" I assume they're inclined to do nothing. But they'll probably find a reason to interfere anyways. My guess: the red angel business will lead them to Saru's people, and helping his people out will be a natural consequence of them just being there like we've seen the other two occasions.
Old Today, 02:21 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Huh, they really are intent on undoing the first season's questionable decisions, aren't they?

It might've been a bit too easy, but I can't say I'm sorry to see Culber back. Though there's probably gonna be some awkward scene between him and Ash in the future, no doubt.
Old Today, 02:49 AM
Absolutely The Worst

My point is that that everyone including the Kelpians themselves were incorrect about them being “just” a prey species. It has been an excuse for their lot millennia and things just got a whole lot more complicated for the Federation. Ethically speaking, it is wrong for Starfleet to try and prevent Saru from contacting his people.

Do not mistake “maturity” or “adulthood” with “sexual maturity”. Human children and teens can pro create, but adults they are not.

Tags
captain killy , set phasers to nostalgia , star trek