The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-29-2019, 01:21 PM
Outraged!

I’m fairly certain that Jinx hates “those meeses to pieces” so I doubt the altruistic angle behind that present. He was likely sucked into jet turbine off screen.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:11 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Matty's Funday Funnies

So who is Matty? Matty is the often overlooked mascot for Mattel toys. He is the "King of Toys" (as ordained by God) and showed up for a brief period in the 50's and 60's. In 1979, the kid briefly showed up to point consumers to the mattel hotline. In 2008, a "kewl" version of the character popped up for a spell, presumably pointing collectors to exclusive deals.

Now it's easy to think about how consumer culture and TV programming hit it's peak with the "cartoons based on toys" genre of the 80's, but back in the 50's and 60's, TV characters and hosts often promoted products themselves, such as Rod Serling and Fred Flintstone promoting cigarettes. But also, some of the most acclaimed shows had brand names in the name. Mostly it was for comedy shows, variety shows and anthologies (which I wish we had more of. It's a genre of TV show I like).

There was...

-The Colgate Comedy Hour
- Four Star Review (which was sponsored by Motorola)
- Ford Theatre (yes, that Ford company and no, it has nothing to do with the theatre where Lincoln died in)
- Magnavox Theatre
and...

Matty's Funday Funnies

Placing this firmly in the 1950's, we start the intro with the picture of a rocket. A high-pitched voiced excitedly tells us that "It's time for Funday Funnies!" as little circles featuring various Harvey Comics characters: Baby Huey, Little Audrey, Casper, Katnip, Buzzy Crow and Herman. Really, I only care about Casper and that's on a generous day. Fanfare begins to play are characters are replaced with the names of the days of the week in chronological order.

They all disappear when, after Saturday, they announced the final day of the week... Funday! Yeah, that'll trick the kids into thinking a Church day with school tomorrow is fun. It usually isn't the best day for cartoons but it was the 50's so kids might not have figured that out yet. The rocket takes off and as the back half detaches the announcer proclaims "Hi, kids! Mattel toymakers presents with Matty Mattel, the King of Toys, who says to all you girls and boys 'You can tell, it's Mattel, it's swell.'"

Except imagine no space between the words.

Anyway, the bottom of the rocket reveals the Mattel logo on the bottom, complete with l'il Matty in his widdle crown. He then grabs a "t" from Mattel and jumps down and begins to plummetting towards the Earth. The "t" turns into an umbrella (which I guess looks like a poorly made umbrella it you look at it funny).

He softly hits the Earth next to a girl at the carnival. The girl doesn't seem the least bit shocked that Matty just escaped from a rocket hurtling towards the heavens.

"Hi, sister Belle!" Matty says and the two run off toward the carnival. Her name is Belle Mattel and this proves these two kids have cruel parents. Anyway, the two kids get on a roller coaster with Little Audrey and Baby Huey and no one else because this carnival doesn't have very long roller coasters.

"It's time for Funday Funnies,
And Matty is your host
With Baby Huey"
(Huey does a take to the camera"
"Little Audrey"
(She looks at the camera, with a slightly less mugging to the camera)
"And Casper, the Friendly Ghost!"

Casper appears and follows his friends along with the roller coaster. They get to the bottom and it turns out it is designed to eject the kids onto the ground. The kids land safely and don't hesitate for a second to move on into a circus tent and not question "Hey, was that roller coaster supposed to do that? Because I feel like either 'yes' and 'no' is a bad answer."

"It's time for Funday Funnies, with all the friends you know
Like Herman and Katnipp..."

And we see a generic mouse being chased by a generic cat. The cat knocks over a barrel sending a crow flying out, all shook up.

"And Buzzy."
Some kid: "Crow-uzzy!" (in the hizzy?)
"And Buzzy the Funny Crow."

It occurs to me, only now, not having seen a Buzzy cartoon, that Buzzy's whole thing is that he's a drunk, like the Stork from Looney Tunes. Though his behaviour can be attributed to being spun around, it does look very much like he's hammered and it feels like "funny" is a euphemism (and being a Harvey character it sure ain't literal). Either way, I feel really sad for Buzzy and can only see him like Old Man Gower from Pottersville, dancing for change and getting seltzered by Nick while sobbing to himself. Funny.

We then see Matty at a shooting Gallery, hitting targets with a day of the week being shouted for each one it hits. We finally get to "Funday", where Matty hits a bit target, then breaks time and space and comes out of said target meaning... maybe he was this close to shooting himself? I mean, it's a pellet gun or an air gun so he probably would have lived, but it still probably would have hurt.

Then Matty hops into a... what would you call it. A big box with those little Americana ribbons on them? Like for judges at a state fair? Anyway, he jumps into one of those with all his Funday Friends in it. Audrey and Belle catch him in a chair, with each holding one chair leg, which neither of them flinching as Matty lands. These girls have VERY strong arms. Not just strong, but controlled. I'm saying I hope they have arm-wrestling contests, is what I'm saying.

As streamers and confetti flies through the air, we rise up and see balloons that spell out the words "Funday".

"Matty's Funday Funnies are coming on the air,
so grab a chair and stay right there
It's Funday, everywheeeeeeeeeeeere!"

Did it make me want to watch it?

Nope. Except for the toy commercials in between.

Let's see what there is.

Look, I love caps and toy guns, despite my anti-actual gun stance but... what the opening bit supposed to seem really sinister? Like, creepy music playing as the kid slowly and lovingly loads his cap gun? Because it put ME ill at ease.

The Popeye Jack-in-the-Box is the best one since it pops, but then has a moment of anti-climax as it slowly sputters into phase two. I love that the concept of a jack-in-the-box is explained in the ad.

He left behind a lot of pretend corpses in his wake.

Now I look on Wikipedia to learn more about the show

Not much, but I know it became the Beany and Cecil show, which a lot of cartoon-philes like.

Fan Art

I thought "this doesn't look like Matty" but it actually does. Turns out that there was also a Matty Mattel doll that looked nothing like the previously established Matty.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:06 PM
BAG

It's weird seeing the openings to the Huckleberry Hound show and Matty's Funday Funnies reach 60 seconds of full animation. A new era is about to begin, I bet all the Boomer children were saying.

Re Fanart:
Kid! Your hair is on fire!!!
Old 02-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

That spy toy is awesome! Adult JBear was surprised and delighted when that barrel shot out of his satchel, and young JBear would have fainted with joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Look, I love caps and toy guns, despite my anti-actual gun stance but... what the opening bit supposed to seem really sinister? Like, creepy music playing as the kid slowly and lovingly loads his cap gun? Because it put ME ill at ease.
Ha, it really does come across that way. It's the meticulous nature of it all. It feels like a movie is showing me a serial killer's private moments. It's almost like gun ASMR. And no, I don't think that's intended, and it probably didn't read that way to audiences of the time?
Old 02-08-2019, 10:47 AM

Mighty Mouse Playhouse

Hey, it's Mighty Mouse. I feel like I've watched a fair amount of Mighty Mouse but I also feel it's been a long enough time that I don't have a strong opinion on Mighty Mouse. But I do get the appeal. It seems simple: Superman, but a mouse. But this makes sense: Superman is champion of the oppressed and in cartoons, it's the tiny prey animals that are getting harassed by larger predators. The cartoons I remember are usually big bad wolf-types preying on the innocent, either by simply threatening to eat them or some other form of prolonged bullying.

Mighty Mouse himself I don't remember talking a lot, per se, since he did most of his talking with his fists, but does have that old timey silly-manly voice. MM was also the star of one of the most important cartoons of the late 80's: Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures. The cartoon hired cartoonists fed up with the formulaic cartoons of the day and strove for something more. The series is mostly known for helping launch the career of auteur and, like many auteurs, world-class creep John Kricfalusi but it also launched the careers of Jim Reardon, Rich Moore and Andrew Stanton, who have done a lot of latterday Disney and Pixar stuff. But more than that, it lead to Ren & Stimpy, which lead to a lot of other cartoonists careers and many cartoonist-driven shows with DNA being found in a lot of them. I'm not saying it's the best show, but it is an important one in introducing different and varied kids shows and cartoons and with more flexibility to be creative.

Anyway, let's look at the Mouse of Steel's first major TV presence.

It starts out with the classic Mighty Mouse theme. I don't know if this is where it originated but I love it. Especially, that it is an entirely acapella piece. Anyway, we start with a clear grey sky and the title "Mighty Mouse Playhouse" appears. Then the Terrytoons logo which is a smiling face in a box.

"Mr. Trawful never hangs around."

I'm positive that it's supposed to be Mr. Trouble but the old audio is a bit difficult for me to hear.

"When he hears this mighty sound."

A tornado shows up and, through editing, seems to explode into Mighty Mouse, radiating strength and divine goodness. He's also in a room with a lot of mirrors and if I had muscles like that, man I would be in there too. That is a buff rodent.

Mighty Mouse: "Here I come to save the day!"

"That means that Mighty Mouse is on his way."

We then see Mighty Mouse flying around and beating up, in order, wolves in an oven, a cowboy, a shark, and a horse. This seems to be a collection of old cartoons, which is fine with me. I'll say, I usually don't like non-original animation to be used if it can be helped, but it isn't the worst editing job and gives you a good idea that it's a mouse who flies around and beats people up.

But then we do get some new animation and, because it's the 1950s, a rocket is involved. But at least here the animators know it isn't enough to have MM be in or on the rocket: he needs to use his Herculean strength to throw the rocket into the air on his own! Then Mighty catches up with it lands on top and starts addressing the audience.

"Hi boys and girls, here we go
rocketing into a fun-filled, exciting cartoon show."

If rhyming is part of Mighty's thing, I've forgotten it. I know it is an Underdog sort of deal. Mighty Mouse straddles the rocket and heads into the cosmos.

"Hold onto your seats,
as we blast off to visit all your favourite cartoon stars."

I doubt your show has the budget for my favourites (Looney Tunes probably got their own show). Also, you seem shy about who these stars are. I expect him to say "like me. And the rest." Terrytoons-level of star rarely intersects with favorite for me.

We then hear eerie noises as we head into black, which I'm sure will also describe my final moments.

Did it make me want to watch it?

I wouldn't necessarily turn the channel if it was on.

Now I look on Wikipedia to learn more about the show

The show ran for 12 years, with the last season featuring a new cartoon, the Mighty Heroes, who spun off into their own show the next year.

Fan Art

I don't like this version of Underdog. He seems like a jerk.

I feel like "name that Pokemon" went wrong and litigable.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Except for his expression, that first one has a kind of One Punch Man sort of vibe.

Also, just now realizing that Saitama and Mighty Mouse wear the same costume.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM

Saitama was actually inspired (if you didn't know) by beloved children's cartoon Anpanman. There's the name (in Japanese, One Punch Man is "Wanpanman") and the costume, which is a color inverse of Anpanman's.

And one of the early villains is basically a Dragonball version of Anpanman's recurring foe.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I knew nothing of the sort!

However, I know it now, and feel both wiser and stronger!
Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Except for his expression, that first one has a kind of One Punch Man sort of vibe.

Also, just now realizing that Saitama and Mighty Mouse wear the same costume.
We have discussed this before.

(from "Johnny Unusual (Over)Analyzes 70's Cartoon TV Intros"):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Oh my god... Mighty Mouse shares colors with Saitama.
(from the "Say a thing, and someone will draw it" thread):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
One-Punch Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I apologize for nothing