The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

What I enjoyed about the tournament was that everyone actually got some time in the spotlight. I think everyone got at least an episode for themselves, at least.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:50 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Every one is relevant at some point, but a lot of them feel like filler because...I mean, they are. There's a ton of filler in the arc really, but the good stuff is legit really good, and there's one episode towards the end that is like A++ tier shonen anime. Honestly my only complaint is that the Ribrianne stuff was funny at first but they lean on it a little too hard.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:23 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Except the ultimate enemy is the most boring one in the entire fucking series (including Garlic Jr).
Old 11-08-2018, 06:22 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Oh hey new trailer

If the previous two trailers didn't have enough Screaming Punch Mans for you well GOOD NEWS!
Old 11-08-2018, 06:38 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

I really dig the updated art style and hope there is a new TV series with it after this movie.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:59 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

I kinda hope they release a full cover of Taka singing Imperfect Cell's version of My Way....
Old 01-17-2019, 12:00 AM

So I got to see the early Premier of Broly and I definitely have some thoughts.

Ok this felt like it was over way too quick. My friend who was a bit tired from the drive to go see this basically said this. "It felt like there were too few characters." Which I sort of agree with? Like Piccolo literally shows up for a paycheck. Krillin got to show up for a scene if you can count that. The main focus is literally Paragus, Frieza, Broly, Vegeta, and Goku. With flashes to Bulma reacting now and then, as well as Whis and Beerus with slightly more screen time than Piccolo. The thing I disliked most about it was probably Frieza's wish. It's a joke that just fell flat. I mean yeah, I laughed, but after a moment of realizing that he was serious I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Then again that's like a Dragon Ball level wish, not something Z or Super would do, which I can see if that's what they were going for. Also I for once in my life, actually liked Broly as a character. He was like-able for what little we saw of his personality. And the badass cloth around his waist? Yeah that totally wasn't what I was expecting why he had that. Overall I give it a 7/10. It wasn't the greatest of the super movies. Battle of the Gods, and Resurrection F were really well done, but this one fell just a bit short. Definitely not a bad movie. Thinking back to the soundtrack though did anyone hear the awkward chanting of GOGETA, and BROLY, when the fights were going on? I swore I even heard a Kakkarot chat at some point? Here's hoping we see more Broly in the series.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
So I got to see the early Premier of Broly and I definitely have some thoughts.

Ok this felt like it was over way too quick. My friend who was a bit tired from the drive to go see this basically said this. "It felt like there were too few characters." Which I sort of agree with? Like Piccolo literally shows up for a paycheck. Krillin got to show up for a scene if you can count that. The main focus is literally Paragus, Frieza, Broly, Vegeta, and Goku. With flashes to Bulma reacting now and then, as well as Whis and Beerus with slightly more screen time than Piccolo. The thing I disliked most about it was probably Frieza's wish. It's a joke that just fell flat. I mean yeah, I laughed, but after a moment of realizing that he was serious I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Then again that's like a Dragon Ball level wish, not something Z or Super would do, which I can see if that's what they were going for. Also I for once in my life, actually liked Broly as a character. He was like-able for what little we saw of his personality. And the badass cloth around his waist? Yeah that totally wasn't what I was expecting why he had that. Overall I give it a 7/10. It wasn't the greatest of the super movies. Battle of the Gods, and Resurrection F were really well done, but this one fell just a bit short. Definitely not a bad movie. Thinking back to the soundtrack though did anyone hear the awkward chanting of GOGETA, and BROLY, when the fights were going on? I swore I even heard a Kakkarot chat at some point? Here's hoping we see more Broly in the series.
I agree with your friend, I'm bothered by the lack of secondary characters in this film given that the trailers teased King Cold, The Ginyu Force, Zarbon, and Raditz having screen time.

The Dragonball kind of wish just doesn't really work on someone as malevolent as
Freeza. Ironically, Funimation's brand of bad jokes added to the character in original Z worked better since it makes him more horrifying. I get that the movie succeeded at making Broly likable, but at what cost? He seems complex while everyone else is one dimensional.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:11 PM
Find Your Reason

I was surprised at how much better the character work and storytelling was for Brawley, especially given the context. Sure, Goku and Veggie Tales are just there to cash a check, Freeza is less a character and more a plot device to get Brawley into play, and everyone else was a non-entity, but the drastically revamped stories of Bardock, Paragus, Brawley, and even the infant Kakarot, were great. Even more surprising: Cheelai and Lemo are characters I REALLY want to see more of, and I seriously want a spinoff of their planet-hopping adventures with Brawley--kinda like a better, character-driven GT. Their personalities and skills have a lot of potential for playing off of and complementing each other, and they could easily become protagonists. Gimme Dragon Brawl Y plz.

What really boggled me was how heavily this film leaned into the already-transparent "Goku As Superman" origin story. It's like BirdMountain heard about the parallels, chuckled at the "Scientist Bardock" injoke, then decided to actually write that into canon. (Well, no, not the "scientist" part, but the "Make Bardock and Gine resemble Jor-El and Lara as much as possible." And the tiny, tiny window into their domestic life was pretty neat, too.

The fights were unchoreographed messes with flashing lights and I just wanted them to move on. DBZA has spoiled me in that regard. Gogeta Bloo was interesting for as long as you realized he had the exact same personality as Vegitto and he turned boring again. Though the entire theater laughed for a minute straight when Freeza Krillin'd Paragus to get Super Saiyan Brawley and the hyper-dramatic music kicked in. We all laughed harder when it backfired on him, too.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:19 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Coming from someone who hasn't watched any episodes of Super yet, I definitely enjoyed Broly and it was good dumb fun with great animation and colors. I completely bought into Frieza's wish and honestly I think it's perfect for him. I loved the fight callbacks to the original Broly movies too. And just the whole retcon of Bardock and Planet Vegeta was better executed than I expected.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:08 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Caught up last night.

They changed the bit where 17's niece asks him how old he is and just absentmindedly replies "I'm 17" to a line about how he hates people and I'M NOT HAVING IT.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

I've been listening to All Systems Goku lately and I think I just accidentally had an idea for a legit good Dragon Ball Z storyline?

You know how early on in the show Vegeta's primary motivation was to collect all of the dragon balls and wish for immortality? And you know how saiyans get more powerful by getting the shit kicked out of them? What if Vegeta got his wish, monkey's paw style, and he was immortal but unable to be hurt and therefore unable to grow stronger and doomed to live for eternity at that fixed power level and watching everyone else get ever stronger.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:46 AM
whatever it takes

I always assumed he'd be immortal but still be able to be hurt, and therefore was still an idiot because what's to stop Freeza* from just snapping his neck? Enjoy your forever paralysis, moron

*Or Fritza, as Dan Ryckert inexplicably and infuriatingly pronounces it
Old 02-07-2019, 08:50 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
*Or Fritza, as Dan Ryckert inexplicably and infuriatingly pronounces it
This hadn't been bothering me until you pointed it out on Discord and now it drives me crazy too.

Thanks!

(I just listened to the stun-gun wake-up call ep, so I think we're at about the same spot.)
Old 02-07-2019, 08:53 AM
whatever it takes

Happy to help <3
Old 02-07-2019, 01:01 PM
ancient ceramic artifact

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I've been listening to All Systems Goku lately and I think I just accidentally had an idea for a legit good Dragon Ball Z storyline?

You know how early on in the show Vegeta's primary motivation was to collect all of the dragon balls and wish for immortality? And you know how saiyans get more powerful by getting the shit kicked out of them? What if Vegeta got his wish, monkey's paw style, and he was immortal but unable to be hurt and therefore unable to grow stronger and doomed to live for eternity at that fixed power level and watching everyone else get ever stronger.
ask goku black and zamasu, he combined zenkai and inmortality to make himself stronger way stronger, also stated in black goku saga that goku and vegeta that they cannot get more power increase using zenkai
Old 02-07-2019, 08:19 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
This hadn't been bothering me until you pointed it out on Discord and now it drives me crazy too.

Thanks!

(I just listened to the stun-gun wake-up call ep, so I think we're at about the same spot.)
It's Italian, like pizza, or Forza.

Tags
anime , down with megathreads! , dragon ball , im flyin like goku , kaio what? , naaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiil! , ningen , over 9000 , puff-puff , read the manga , sparking!!! , supah saiyahjin goddo , yamcha hole , yamchas all the way down