The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-22-2015, 07:07 AM

Default MAD MAX: The Fast and The Furiousa

Splinter off from TT mini-review thread.

Also, feel free to discuss any Mad Max movies, books, etc. here too.

Last edited by Dizzy; 05-22-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:26 AM

For the feminism talk about this movie, this was linked by one of my friends on my Facebook.
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...for-the-world/

I wasn't aware there were any Mad Max books, but the first 2 movies are responsible for getting me into the whole post-apocalypse motif in entertainment media, and I'd still consider them some of the best action movies I've seen, especially in some kind of region between B movies and Hollywood blockbuster stuff. Which they kind of reside in, considering their budgets.

I think Fury Road is going to be something I try to catch in the summer. It might be the first movie I actually see in theaters in Japan.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:34 AM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
especially in some kind of region between B movies and Hollywood blockbuster stuff. Which they kind of reside in, considering their budgets.
There's a documentary, well worth your time, about the weird nether realm that was the Australian exploitation-movie business: Not Quite Hollywood.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:41 AM
I. Love. It.

I have actually never seen any of the Mad Max movies before, despite cracking more than a few 'Beyond Thunderdome' jokes.

I do want to see the new one, though, should I watch the previous movies before seeing it? Or is that just something I should try to do anyway?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:43 AM
>TRANCE

This movie is what will let me finally get a group together to play Apocalypse World.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:44 AM

I'd say just do it anyway. Mad Max movies are pretty self-contained, even when Mad Max and The Road Warrior are like directly linked. The Road Warrior pretty much starts off exactly where Mad Max left, yet it recaps the first movie in case you missed it. Beyond Thunderdome (which is pretty weak, IMO) stands almost totally on its own.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:45 AM
GASP

This is my first Mad Max movie, and I didn't have an issue.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:50 AM
Hullo

I never saw one of the older ones and I loved Fury Road. Go. Now.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:52 AM
It's dog eat dog

This movie was like watching someone play a really awesome rail shooter, or if the chase scene from Stagecoach lasted for the entire movie and the women were in charge.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:57 AM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I never saw one of the older ones and I loved Fury Road. Go. Now.
Well, my seeing it depends on when/if the theater up here actually gets it. We're still waiting on Avengers, and it is entirely possible it might pass on Fury Road entirely since we just get one movie a week.

I sure hope not though.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:50 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Fury Road might be a true oddity: a movie that didn't finish #1 in the box office on opening weekend, but which does so on its second weekend.

It's outpaced Pitch Perfect 2 the last couple of days, and if Tomorrowland is a flop, it's got a chance.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:14 AM

You could almost say this movie is roughing the fury road to box office success.

:V
Old 05-22-2015, 10:24 AM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Fury Road might be a true oddity: a movie that didn't finish #1 in the box office on opening weekend, but which does so on its second weekend.
This is the true power of word of mouth.

I'm glad "progressiveness" isn't measured on a single vector, because for every Furiosa or cadre of badass old women bikers/snipers/farmers, you've got a vision of post-apopo Africa/Australia populated almost exclusively by white people, or an image of the woman as a Pure Redeeming Mother-Other lifted from the well-intended-but-misinformed hippie mysticism of old Metal Hurlant comics.

Still, the movie does so much right, constantly, without relent that my contentions are less with MM:FR, in particular, than they are with the ambient bullshit assumptions that inform almost all mass-media art today. This is the best Action Movie, in the sense defined by its predecessors, released in the last 20 years. See it.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Good Bee

Trying to describe any 5 minute sequence of this movie to somebody who hasn't seen it must seem like the ramblings of a crazy person. I'm trying to find the absolute biggest loudest theater in the general area for my third viewing. If I had to pick only one movie in the last 20 years to see in theaters, it would be this one. So hey maybe give it a shot if you're still on the fence!

On this movies feminist-ness: this movie knocks the bechdel test out of the Goddamned park, which is absolutely not what I was expecting from its trailer. This movie may not be the most feminist movie theoretically possible, and it's still useful to describe ways in which it could have been more feminist, but it's still a hundred times more feminist than the average big budget Hollywood film (in any genre, let alone action movies), and it deserves high praise for that.

(Surprising nobody, the moment Sarkeesian's tweets talking about what this movie could have done better went up, a resounding chorus of "THERE'S JUST NO PLEASING THESE PEOPLE IS THERE!?" went up on your usual #GG cesspools)
Old 05-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
This movie may not be the most feminist movie theoretically possible, and it's still useful to describe ways in which it could have been more feminist, but it's still a hundred times more feminist than the average big budget Hollywood film (in any genre, let alone action movies), and it deserves high praise for that.
Yeah. It's not just that women get to shoot guns or whatever; this is a movie where women seize the means of production and usher in a matriarchy and everyone is cool with and grateful for it. I don't think anyone should be ashamed of thinking that's pretty great.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:18 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
This is the true power of word of mouth.
No, it's that films going after Pitch Perfect 2's audience tend to drop off a TON after big opening weekends (Fifty Shades dropped 73% from week one to week 2, I think the most recent Divergent movie also dropped big....)
Old 05-22-2015, 02:18 PM

My cynical side thinks Sarkeesian is stirring the pot for attention and well… to provoke dialogue free of worship and praise. The former has worked brilliantly but the latter? Ehhh.

I just don’t get her criticisms, and it seems like it comes from a place where the issue has more to do with the audience response and thoughts (real or imagined) rather than the film itself, which she claims is the basis of her criticism. When you say mind-reading shit like “Viewers get to feel good…” you’re no longer talking about the movie.

(Also telling when she retweets what this condescending ass has to say about film literacy, which has won him no favors with people who are already politically and aesthetically aligned.)

I also don’t get people not wanting to discuss whether or not this movie is feminist (I think the movie is unequivocally feminist* but there is room for doubt). Comparing such concerns about whether such-and-such product has a “fair trade label” or is “eco-friendly.” “You can’t squabble about whether what you’re consuming is ethically feminist!”

Which gets at, I think, the kernel of such disenchantments toward Mad Max and the dialogue surrounding it: it’s become too unexpectedly popular while being too much of a good thing—and it must be some kind trap, “fake rebelliousness” and we, the sheeple, are blindly being co-opted by The Man, or something. Here’s the anxiety at work with this person: appearing too bourgeois and superficial.

It’s a goddamn dystopian action movie that happens to be very fucking good. Nobody thinks it’s the tocsin for a revolution.

But the fact that it came off the heels of the Avengers 2, the purported Hollywood golden child of the summer blockbuster movie season which fell flat, makes the victory of Mad Max all the more sweeter. For all the reasons this guy says. (Yes, it’s a link to Frederico DeBoerique.)

I hope Hollywood executives are watching this and thinking, “Man, we need more movies like this! Maybe audiences are tired of male superhero bullshit for entertainment.” Progress.

(Two or maybe three years ago I probably would have said the same thing Sarkeesian says about Mad Max, only while being more of a snobby jerk ass about it.)

*How the hell do you walk out of a movie where Tom Hardy’s bad assery is consistently undercut by Charlize Theron—memorably during the rifle shooting bit—and where Hardy’s moment of bad-ass glory in one scene is *not shown at all* and not think it’s feminist? He’s not even the main damn character nor an object of affection and worship at all.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Half-Ninja

What's better than Mad Max: Fury Road?

How about Mario Kart: Fury Road?
Old 05-22-2015, 02:33 PM
the :motion: stands

needs more doof wario
Old 05-22-2015, 03:09 PM
We just don't know.

I need to see this movie again.

As for the "how feminist is it" argument, relative to Hollywood movies and especially action ones it's pretty fucking feminist in a way that is refreshing and awesome. Whether or not it could be feminismer is silly useless debate, the kind of picking apart their own side that we liberals tend to do. Is it a perfect work of progressive gender politics? No, nor do I think there will ever be such a thing (more to do with perfection than gender politics). That doesn't mean it's "not feminist" or "not feminist enough." Urgh.

Doof Warrior.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Good Bee

k going to see it a third time (first time ever seeing a movie in theaters thrice), this time in a D-BOX theater. This will be my first time seeing a movie in D-BOX, and the tickets are more expensive, but I figured if there's any movie to give it a shot with, this is the one.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:22 PM

T-minus 1 hr 15 min until D-BOX viewing.

Unfortunately it's 3-D. Need to wear some contacts.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:58 PM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

because I wanted to car-dork the fuck out, a discourse on what's going on in the "spitting contest" scene.

a car with forced induction, a turbocharger or supercharger, uses a turbine to force more air into the engine's intake manifold, producing more intense combustion and more power. at higher levels of pressure, the intake air becomes hotter, however, which introduces limitations on the level of power you can make.

too much pressure results in too-hot air which can cause the fuel in the combustion chamber to ignite in ways that it's not intended to. this results in things like preignition and detonation which will eventually wreck your nice hot-rod engine and possibly blow your car the fuck up if you are really unlucky.

in fancy race cars you can install a system that injects a fine mist of water and methanol somewhere around the throttle body or intake manifold. that vapor chills the intake air, so you get a cooler, denser air charge going into the combustion chambers. thus you make more power and don't blow your engine to shit. this particularly helps if you're not running super-high-octane race gas.

hence the War Boy swigging from two bottles (presumably one water and the other wood-alcohol) and spitting the resulting mixture into his rig's air intakes. I have no idea if this can actually be done to a real hot-rod engine -- doubtful anyone who had spent the money to build one would ever try -- but it cracked me up to see that depth of post-apocalyptic jury-rigged car nerdery on display.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:59 PM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
The Road Warrior pretty much starts off exactly where Mad Max left
I can't think of another sequel this would be less true of. An apocalypse happens between them!

Last edited by Adrenaline; 05-22-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:04 PM
BIG STUPID SPEED

This movie was a fucking blast and I fucking loved it.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 PM
GASP

Just watched it again with my boy. I had a theory, and I wanted to check it.

Conclusion: This movie doesn't have male gaze. It has Max Gaze.

The first time Max sees the brides, they look like they're in a beer commercial. They're photo-shoot wet, with perfectly styled damp hair and clothing that alternates between flowing garments and plastered-transparently-to-skin sopping. The camera continues leering at them right up until they demonstrate some competence in front of Max, and when he starts seeing them as people, so does the camera. By the end of the movie, there is absolutely no sexuality in their portrayal -- they get the same action-star treatment as Max or Furiosa.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:55 PM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

You may be on to something, but I thought part of the joke in that first scene is that we're thinking "OMG LOOK AT ALL THOSE BABES" and Max is thinking "OMG LOOK AT ALL THAT WATER"
Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 PM
GASP

Oh sure, but the camera continues to linger for a while. Right up until the girls start displaying agency.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:23 AM
Chief Servbot

This movie is incredible and I love it like an old friend already.

I like that Max is essentially the sidekick in his own movie.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:59 AM
Can't peeve the Sheev

Love, love, Fury Road. But let's not forget the rest!

The first Mad Max is interesting in that it's some sort of "pre-apocalypse" movie, or, if the sequels are ignored, maybe just a dystopian future film. Also, the way Max dispatches the final bad guy is eerily similar to the way Rorschach kills the child-murderer in Watchmen. Wonder if Moore got his inspiration from this movie?

The Road Warrior is, as I said elsewhere, different from Fury Road in that there's a lot more worry about resources, each bullet and drop of fuel is important, though curiously enough, nobody seems to be worried much about food or water.

Beyond Thunderdome I consider the Return of Jedi of the series. It's got some bad stuff, but also enough good/interesting/funny bits that I don't think it's really a bad movie, just not quite as good as the rest.

Tags
edible spraypaint , feminist propaganda , frame skipping , i just want the gasoline , i live i die i live again , look at the blower , sand hurricane , shiny and chrome , thunderdome , valhalla! , what a lovely day , who run bartertown , witness me