The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 03-28-2018, 02:13 PM

Last night, I had planned a nice, semi-fancy night to celebrate my mother's 70th Birthday. We went to a nice Japanese restaurant in midtown Sac, and then moved downtown to go watch a Kings game. I'd gotten her into basketball over the past decade or so and now she's a bigger Kings fan than I am; this would have been our first time to the new downtown stadium. A week ago, BLM protesters blocked off the entrances to a Kings game and effectively shut out most of the game's audience. Since then, the Kings game out in support of the protesters, met with protest organizers, ran advertisements showing solidarity with the community and bringing further attention to the recently slain Stephon Clark. Yesterday, another protest was planned at the nearby City Hall, but it wasn't supposed to spill over to the stadium. Then a small fragment of the protesters split off and decided to barricade the entrance to the stadium again. It didn't seem planned, and there were only a few dozen of them versus the hundreds previously. There were also more than a few dead-ringers for opportunistic anarchists in the crowd. I saw a dozen or so guys in all-black and face masks getting into the faces of fans and trying to instigate fights.

So the Kings locked the doors for security (re: liability) reasons, and the police just kept watch from afar to make sure nothing violent happened, and we eventually went home after most of the crowd had dispersed and it seemed like the doors weren't ever going to open. It would be a pretty big bummer, but the family took it in stride. My mother was excited, "Wow! My first protest since the 60s!" (She was in DC during the Nixon era; participated in a few demonstrations.) My old man, who is not particularly fond of sports, was happy to get a full refund. I laughed after watching the end of the game on TV; the Kings lost in pathetic fashion to the lowly Mavericks (a team that's shamelessly tanking) proudly proclaiming to my family, "BLM saved us from watching this travesty, thank you!"

There will be more games, and my mother is a saint and wouldn't let something like this get her down, but it was still a bummer. There's always next year, I guess.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:03 PM

Grant Hill, Steve Nash, and Jason Kidd are this year's HoF inductees. The last two there are obvious shoe-ins. Grant Hill on the other hand is just ridiculous. It's not that he doesn't deserve to get in, but it's pure comedy that he made the HoF before players like Ben Wallace, Ray Allen, and Chris Webber. The Basketball HoF is about as much of a joke as the Baseball HoF.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:19 PM
This Guy

I think it is worth noting that it is the basketball Hall of Fame and not the Pro-basketball Hall of Fame. Hill's years at Duke count in his favor. The only one of those three clearly better than Hill is Ray Allen. I think people forget how amazing Hill was before his ankle injuries basically ended his career. If he had retired at that point he would be more than deserving of his spot.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I think it is worth noting that it is the basketball Hall of Fame and not the Pro-basketball Hall of Fame. Hill's years at Duke count in his favor. The only one of those three clearly better than Hill is Ray Allen. I think people forget how amazing Hill was before his ankle injuries basically ended his career. If he had retired at that point he would be more than deserving of his spot.
Ben Wallace was an undrafted player who rose to become one of the greatest rebounders of all time and helped lead his team to an NBA championship, something Hill never did.

If we're talking about collegiate careers, I don't know how you can keep the centerpiece of the Fab 5 out of the HoF.

And if you're talking about injuries abbreviating careers and making us forget how good they were, C-Webb vs Tim Duncan vs KG was a legitimate conversation for like half a decade, and C-Webb should have multiple NBA championships if it weren't for fixed games and untimely injuries (Kings were the best team in the league in 2003 and had that revenge-thirst). C-Webb was a force of nature, it's insane how good he was on the floor.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:12 PM
This Guy

Ben Wallace was one dimensional and his peak wasn't any longer or better than Hill's. Though I would put him more on the fringe, Wallace is a HoF player, if only for his 4 DPoY awards.

I agree that Webber is another great player whose career could have been even greater but for injuries. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. If pushed, I might take him over Hill. I don't think either choice is ridiculous.

In his first 6 seasons, Hill averaged something like 22, 8 and 6. He was phenomenal. Despite being nowhere close to that player during his time in Orlando and Phoenix, his career stats are roughly the same as Scottie Pippen's, and no thinks Pippen is undeserving of being in the HoF.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:09 AM

Apparently there's a mathematical possibility of a 7-way tie in the west...

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...r_there_to_be/

Quote:
The Jazz, Spurs, Thunder, Wolves, Pelicans, Nuggets and Clippers could all end up with the same record: 46-36.

How, you ask? Well...

The Jazz (45-33) need to lose to the Clippers, beat the Lakers, lose to the Warriors, and lose to the Blazers.

The Spurs (45-34) need to lose to the Blazers, beat the Kings, and lose to the Pelicans.

The Thunder (45-34) need to lose to the Rockets, lose to the Heat, and beat Memphis.

The Wolves (44-34) need to lose to the Nuggets, beat the Lakers, beat Memphis, and lose to the Nuggets.

The Pelicans (44-34) need to beat the Suns, lose to the Warriors, lose to the Clippers, and beat the Spurs.

The Nuggets (43-35) need to beat the Wolves, lose to the Clippers, beat the Blazers, and beat the Wolves.

The Clippers (42-36) need to beat the Jazz, beat the Nuggets, beat the Pelicans, and beat the Lakers.

If all this happens, then each team will be 46-36. In the event of a 7-way tie, the two teams with the lowest head-to-head record against the other teams will miss the playoffs. Each teams' tie-breaker records are:

Wolves: 15-7
Jazz: 13-11
Nuggets: 11-11
Thunder: 11-11
Spurs: 10-12
Pelicans: 8-13
Clippers: 8-13

This means the Pelicans and Clippers would miss the playoffs.

Of course, the main thing I'm taking away from this is the Jazz only need to win one more game to be locked in for the playoffs. Which seems crazy after the start to the season, but I am so ready for it.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:37 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

That is so weird.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:41 PM

West, as always, is a slaughterhouse. They really ought to just do away with conferences.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:45 PM

All that matters is the JAZZ ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS BABY!

GORDON WHO??
Old 04-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Stop:

The inevitable Houston/Golden State conference championships are going to be 🔥🔥🔥
Old 04-09-2018, 04:07 PM
This Guy

I wouldn't be shocked if one (or even both) of them lose early. Golden State because Curry might not be healthy and they seem a little thinner than they used to be (ie does Iguodala have anything left in the tank) and the Rockets because we've seen the Rockets fall apart in the playoffs before. I wouldn't say I'm betting on another outcome, but it seems much less inevitable than Golden State/Cleveland seemed the last two years.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
The inevitable Houston/Golden State conference championships are going to be 🔥🔥🔥
Implying Chris Paul can make it out of the 2nd round.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:03 AM

Playoffs are mostly set. A few seeding positions in the West can fluctuate. Spurs and Pelicans play each other on Wednesday to determine seeding. It may mean the difference between playing the Trailblazers or the Warriors in the first round.

But what I'll be watching is the Timberwolves/Nuggets game. Both have the same record and are vying for the 8-seed. Whoever loses goes home. It's basically a wildcard playoff game. That's gonna be HYPE.

I'm personally rooting for the Nuggets. Because if the Timberwolves make the playoffs, then they wipe out their miss-the-playoffs-streak, which would then make the Kings the biggest losers in pro sports.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:48 AM

It's a lot to ask, but if the Jazz could make it to the 3rd seed (which means winning their remaining two games, the last of which is against Portland, the other against Golden State), they wouldn't have to play Houston until potentially the WCF.

I have confidence the Jazz could take down a Warriors team sans-Curry, but Houston is scary as all hell, and I want to see as much Jazz playoffs as possible. Either way, this western playoff bracket is gonna be a frickin' BATTLE, and I am pumped as hell for it.

Also, Denver/Minnesota will be one hell of a game. I am also pulling for the Nuggets because Minnesota is a garbage organization, though I feel for the minnesota fans.

Dream scenario: it'd be really cool if we did face Houston in the WCF and sent them home... just like last time. We even signed David Stockton for the rest of the season, so maybe he could hit the three-pointer to kill all of Houston's hopes and dreams, like his dad did?

(And yeah, I'm referring to the 1998 NBA playoffs, literally the farthest the Utah Jazz have ever gone in the postseason, and it was such a huge fuckin' deal to us that we named two streets in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City after malone and stockton)
Old 04-11-2018, 06:26 AM

This is a nice feel good story:

32 year old rookie on his first game in the NBA.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:19 AM

That was awesome! His post-game interview was so great, dude seems so humble and kind. Apparently he teaches youth basketball in his free time. What a story.

Denver/Minnesota tonight. Utah/Portland tonight. I'll probably be flipping between both, but if I'm being honest, I'm only going to be really caring about Utah/Portland... battle for the 3rd seed tonight, y'all.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
Denver/Minnesota tonight. Utah/Portland tonight. I'll probably be flipping between both, but if I'm being honest, I'm only going to be really caring about Utah/Portland... battle for the 3rd seed tonight, y'all.
Timberwolves beat the Nuggets in OT, that was great. NBA should seriously consider a play-in bracket for the last two or four slots.

Blazers beat the Jazz. Tough break for the Jazz. Now they have to go through OKC and Houston to get to the finals, where as the Blazers get to face a hobbled Pelicans team, followed by a hobbled Warriors.

Also Game of Zones is back. Always love these:

Also an extra: https://streamable.com/s/cenj1

Last edited by WisteriaHysteria; 04-13-2018 at 06:07 PM. Reason: I still don't get these [video] tags
Old 04-15-2018, 10:43 AM
Stop:

Popovich's sarcasm when asked about Green guarding Durant was amazing.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:11 PM

I would legitimately and unironically vote for that man for President.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:13 AM

I continue to be utterly baffled by the Spurs/Leonard saga. Like, imagine if the franchise player from any other team acted this way. It would be the scandal of the decade. Except here it's the Model Franchise™ San Antonio Spurs, and the completely unassuming Kawhi Leonard that this is happening with. It's just utterly insane! And nobody (nationally) cares!!!

Also like, if you're Leonard's agent, how do you allow this to happen?
Old 04-18-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I continue to be utterly baffled by the Spurs/Leonard saga. Like, imagine if the franchise player from any other team acted this way. It would be the scandal of the decade. Except here it's the Model Franchise™ San Antonio Spurs, and the completely unassuming Kawhi Leonard that this is happening with. It's just utterly insane! And nobody (nationally) cares!!!

Also like, if you're Leonard's agent, how do you allow this to happen?
As someone who has a very narrow scope of basketball knowledge, can I ask what this is?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:52 AM

Kawhi Leonard plays basketball for the San Antonio Spurs. He is considered to be a very good player. A while back, he suffered an injury and needed time to rehabilitate. When his team's doctors reevaluated him and cleared him as ready to continue playing, he instead sought second opinions and refused to rejoin the team. This has been ongoing for most of this season at this point, for an injury that didn't appear to be that serious or require this long a rehab.

When a player refuses to play for their team like this, it's usually a sign of deep dysfunction and distrust. You're either saying you don't trust that the organization has your best interests at heart or is competent enough to take care of you properly, or that there are deeper seated issues which you are using this as an excuse to simply refuse to play for them.

This rarely happens in the NBA, or pro sports in general. For starters, most organizations are competent enough where they generally have the best interests of their players at heart and have the resources to take care of them. Especially very important players like Leonard which you're hitching the future of your franchise to. There's also the typical machismo attitude most athletes have, where they feel it necessary to prove their masculinity and prowess by toughing it out through pain. It's far more typical for a player to stubbornly try and come back before they're healed, rather than what Leonard is doing and being overly cautious. Also, this kind of belligerency by a player is also the kind thing that would permanently stain a player's reputation and affect their ability to play within the league in the future. (Lots of teams usually don't want to deal with a player like this, regardless of talent, which would drive down the demand for his services and see him with lower contract offers, etc.)

Then there's the fact that, by most accounts, this is happening to a player and team that you would assume would be the last ones to deal with this. San Antonio has been a model franchise for over two decades and had little to no drama like this with its players. People associated only speak with the highest regards to the organization and staff. And Leonard has been a very low key player and a model citizen.

That all of this is happening, is kind of wild. And what's even more wild is that if this were anybody else, it would be nonstop top headline news, but people/sports news/punditry barely talks about it.

Tags
basketball , nba , ncaa , shut up and jam , wnba