The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Space Prez

Default Its slime has come ~ Dragon Quest general discussion

Had some Dragon Quest things to post that didn't have to do with VI or IX, figured there was enough interest for a general DQ thread, and so:

ITEM 1: I found that Enix had made a Slime tamogatchi-like device back when tamogatchi was a thing. The pokewalker has made me a fool for anything with a pedometer function, so I had to have one.

When you start, the display shows a pair of eyes that dart around, giving the impression you are holding a tiny slime. You begin as a sort of "proto-slime" who then evolves into a proper slime. Most of it is general virtual pet fair; you feed it, give it exercise, help when it's poisoned, etc. What makes this one novel is the pedometer.

In the background of the screen is a map. As you walk, you move to different areas and the slime can change depending on where you are. I uh, killed the little guy in my first attempt, I'll post pictures when/if he survives long enough to evolve.

ITEM 2: Found this at Dragon's Den, it blew my mind a little. There are two bonus tanks in Rocket Slime! Enter the church and input the following codes.

Y,L,L,Y,R,R,Y,up,down,select

Y,R,R,up,L,L,Y,down,down,down,Y,select

Apparently, these were unlocked in the Japanese version by having the first Slime Mori Mori game in slot 2 of the DS.

ITEM 3: In case anyone is still looking for the DS remake of DQV and hasn't heard, it has become availible on Amazon. Second printing? Box found in the corner of a warehouse? WHO KNOWS!

Last edited by Falselogic; 08-10-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Crazy Old Bird

That slime pet would be a lot cooler if the face was there for more than just the beginning. That said, I want one...
Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Those tanks are a thing of wonder.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Rocket Slime is on my shortlist of favourite DS games.

I totally want more pedometer games. =/
Old 04-28-2011, 01:45 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

my girlfriend day tripped into San Francisco for her birthday a couple weeks ago and brought these back with her:

she's a GOOD EGG, that one.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:20 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Hey, a Dragon Quest General Thread!

I'll mention it here, then -- if you haven't already had a chance to listen to 8-4 Play for April 22, 2011, do so. At 1h 32m 47s, Richard Mark Honeywood starts talking about how he helped shaped Dragon Quest translations into what they currently are, starting with VIII.

And it's some awesome direction he gave with it, I'd say.

It's also a bit of a shame that more Dragon Quest merch isn't sold here locally. For example, there are a few cell phone charms from the Dragon Quest Monster Mascot Collection 8 that I'd like to grab. Seems to be luck-of-the-draw on what you get, but hey -- were it here, it'd be significantly cheaper to try.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
Hey, a Dragon Quest General Thread!

I'll mention it here, then -- if you haven't already had a chance to listen to 8-4 Play for April 22, 2011, do so. At 1h 32m 47s, Richard Mark Honeywood starts talking about how he helped shaped Dragon Quest translations into what they currently are, starting with VIII.

And it's some awesome direction he gave with it, I'd say.
Ah, I knew there was something I forgot! Great listen for DQ fans or anyone interested in localization.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Unreliable Narrator

DQ V is Amazon Gold Box deal Right Now, $19.99!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
DAMMIT
Should have waited...
Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Lifetime blunderer

Isn't that the way it always works? If you decide to wait, it disappears. If you get it early, it goes on sale immediately.

You just can't win!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:38 PM
oh my car

It is slime has come.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
It is slime has come.
If a grammatical error has been made, I'm sure I know nothing about it....
/whistle
Old 04-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Your life is forfeit

Good initiative, but the thread subtitle was terrible. I have corrected it.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:42 PM
fan of wet circles

I made this birthday card for Mike. It's a metaphor.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 PM

So this is probably as good a place as any to point out that the original game had a secret Circle of the Moon sort of "class selection" system, where the relative growth rates of your stats over the course of the game depends on the first 4 letters of your name (kinda like your party members' names in 2).
Old 04-29-2011, 01:35 PM
A certain tendency

Has there been any indication that there'll be a 25th anniversary celebration in May? Only thing I can find is this and uh, this. Neither of these seem to suggest anything major is going to take place. Though I suppose there might be announcement closer to the anniversary date. At any rate I expect a Retronauts Live episode Parish.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:22 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

If Square Enix presents Dragon Quest X at E3 this year -- well, I'd be surprised if they didn't at least reference Dragon Quest's 25th Anniversary with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloam View Post
and uh, this.
Huh, shame I won't be travelling with a few friends to the place.

Of course, that thread hasn't seen more activity -- but at the same time, I can only imagine there are other Dragon Quest fans, not on that forum, who would note that coincidence.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Your life is forfeit

To appear at E3 (in any form -- no way will it be playable), DQX would need to debut at an event in Japan first, which seems unlikely. Plus I'm pretty sure Nintendo will be publishing here, and they seem averse to announcing new licensed game releases more than 2-3 months out.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Cave Craver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
Damn, what a great price! This is just me being selfish, but I hope this is an identifiable second printing that helps retain the original run's value. Regardless, I bought another one anyway. LOL
Old 04-29-2011, 03:47 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
To appear at E3 (in any form -- no way will it be playable), DQX would need to debut at an event in Japan first, which seems unlikely. Plus I'm pretty sure Nintendo will be publishing here, and they seem averse to announcing new licensed game releases more than 2-3 months out.
Yeah, goodness, that's a good point about Nintendo -- and it'd be understandable that, despite a potential growth in international viability for the series, that Japan would still be its most important market by a huge margin.

Kind of a tangential question: I'll just about let go of the chance of anything of the sort happening before E3, given your response -- but I actually wonder, with press events from larger companies, how much advance notice they provide, so that attendees can arrange for travel & lodging.

Still though, it's hard to imagine they won't celebrate an important anniversary for one of the most-important series, if not the most-important, for Square Enix. But of course, it's probably worth it for me (or someone else who can read much more Japanese than I can) to research what they did for the 20th Anniversaries of both Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghibli99 View Post
This is just me being selfish, but I hope this is an identifiable second printing that helps retain the original run's value.
The most I can think of would be limited edition special packages for games -- but beyond that, has Square Enix ever done this for regular issues of games?

Last edited by Warg; 04-29-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:04 PM
A certain tendency

Quote:
Still though, it's hard to imagine they won't celebrate an important anniversary for one of the most-important series, if not the most-important, for Square Enix. But of course, it's probably worth it for me (or someone else who can read much more Japanese than I can) to research what they did for the 20th Anniversaries of both Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy.
I think Dragon Quest IX was announced at a 20th anniversary party, so maybe there'll be something similar. Though it's hard to know if they'll wait til after May to have a commemorative party. The earlier the better.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Obtuse Ham

Quote:
I believe they just remade FFI and FFII (again) and more importantly, ported FFT with a better translation.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:21 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Here appears to be at least a list of what they did for Final Fantasy's 20th Anniversary: they also appeared to announce FFIV DS & Dissidia. (Not certain if it was all at the same time; I don't seem to remember that they did, or did they?)

In any case though -- here's a 1UP report from 2007, announcing possibly that same Square Enix party about seven weeks in advance. And, of course, we're currently four weeks away from Dragon Quest's 25th Anniversary.

On top of that -- according to these two articles [ No. 1 | No. 2 ], it seems Dragon Quest IX was announced in December of 2006. Other different sources seem to say that's when Dragon Quest's 20th Anniversary celebration was held.

So! I suppose it's worth waiting then.

While we're on the topic, here's also another thought. [I'll just post it here instead of in the DQX speculative thread.]

Say Wii games can come with a special marker for the Wii's successor -- whether it gives the game the okay to run at higher resolutions (if the console doesn't automatically allow it), or if it toggles higher-res fonts and menu bitmaps. Same thing as, say, games that are compatible with both the original GB & the GB Color. I wonder if DQX would be one such game with dual compatibilities.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:32 PM
gatchapon 3*

Carver in dq9 today.
store is legacy stuff from 3-6.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Say Wii games can come with a special marker for the Wii's successor -- whether it gives the game the okay to run at higher resolutions (if the console doesn't automatically allow it), or if it toggles higher-res fonts and menu bitmaps. Same thing as, say, games that are compatible with both the original GB & the GB Color. I wonder if DQX would be one such game with dual compatibilities.
Don't know if it's likely but I can think of a precedent. Dragon Quest Monsters was the first Game Boy Color game released (black cart), a month before the GBC was released.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Astral Traveller

So...is DQVIII worth continuing? I played it about a year ago and got to some thief-town or whatever, but I got sick of level-grinding and stopped. Should I give it another go?
Old 05-01-2011, 03:24 PM
A certain tendency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soren Highwind View Post
So...is DQVIII worth continuing? I played it about a year ago and got to some thief-town or whatever, but I got sick of level-grinding and stopped. Should I give it another go?
I'd say yes, hit a couple of hurdles myself the first time through. With a bit of patience I was able to overcome any stumbling blocks though and am very glad I did so. There are so many great story moments and neat things to see and do in the game that giving up at nearly any point means you're missing out on countless surprises. Persevere and you'll have your reward!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Astral Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloam View Post
I'd say yes, hit a couple of hurdles myself the first time through. With a bit of patience I was able to overcome any stumbling blocks though and am very glad I did so. There are so many great story moments and neat things to see and do in the game that giving up at nearly any point means you're missing out on countless surprises. Persevere and you'll have your reward!
Thanks! Now I just have to borrow it from my friend again.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Carver in dq9 today.
store is legacy stuff from 4-6.
Fixed. Also, Carver's DQIX model looks really scrawny. They just take Korcha from Chrono Cross and paint his hair lavender? =/

It's hard to believe it, but we've only got a few more quests and two special guests to go. In the next week or two, we'll finally be able to finish the Erdrick set. Who'll be last out the gate: Princess Moonbrooke*, or Fleurette?

*Or whatever they'll call her.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:12 AM
gatchapon 3*

the day i have the erdrick armor, i'm putting this game down for good.

Tags
a slime draws near! , abandon all hope , akira toriyama , but thou must , cor blimey , dargon quest , dragon quest , here thra be dargons , japan exclusive , puff puff , slime puns , square enix , stairs command , talking slime , town of assaram , unbridled joy , where's dqviii hd , yuji horii