The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Comprehends Words
Default Tights and Taunts: The Wrestling Thread

Hell, if it's only a place for Joe and I to talk about wrestling without bothering anyone, this thread will be worth it, but I think there may be a few more interested parties.

I used to follow Wrestling pretty religiously in my high school days, and while I never lost my appreciation for it, the cheesy and absurdly raunchy (in a very Rated M kind of "mature" way) soap opera qualities coupled with a focus on bad acting over actual wrestling made me start losing interest sometime in the early 2000's. Also, turning the Undertaker in to a biker hick.

I would check in from time to time, but have watched very little over the past decade.

Then, the other day, I had a very brief conversation with Joe, and it made me suddenly want to take a look at what's going on. I decided to check out last week's smackdown on Hulu, and since that was immediately followed by the Royal rumble -- always a favorite PPV of mine -- I downloaded that as well.

My immediate thoughts: Jesus christ -- I leave for one measly decade and they have Jerry Lawler as a straight man and MICHAEL FUCKING COLE doing color commentary? What is the world coming to?

I was actually pretty impressed by the Rumble though. 40 guys this year as opposed to the usual 30, which was interesting. I thought it was a pretty cool idea to slow things down in the middle of the event and have the Nexus own the ring for a good 10 minutes or so. Would have totally screwed up the flow had they not added in the extra 10 guys, but as it stands, I thought it made for a pretty entertaining intermission of sorts.

Also, Hornswaggle was fucking hilarious. Pint sized wrestlers and joke entrants to the rumble are par for the course, but that little dude made me laugh harder than he had any right to.

Kevin Nash's appearence, and the fan reaction to it (jesus, they were booing Rey fucking Mysterio) was pretty cool too. Nice dye job, guy.

All in all, if the episode of Smackdown I watched was any indication, the WWE seems to be moving back to a more wrestling focused format, which is more than welcome. While I still think they're still too focused on the impact of "finishing moves", making for less interesting matches overall (especially among luchadores), the quality of the matches was actually a lot better than I'd come to expect in my later days of fandom. I may just check it out for a bit and see if it grabs me. I'll have to find a reliable way to watch Raw though, since I don't have cable and it's not on hulu.

Also, that dude from the Real World may be the best heel I've seen since Kurt Angle. I was pretty impressed.

firebreaker chip , ice train , it's still real to me , lazertron