The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-03-2015, 01:06 AM
disguised king of surfing

Default Steven Universe: Attack the Light

I feel this game is worth its own thread.

It's three bucks on Android and iOS devices, and it's basically Paper Mario (as in, the older ones that everyone likes). Knowledge of the source material is optional as far as I can tell (though I'm probably not the best judge of that).

Seriously, if you have a few bucks lying around, it's probably worth your time.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:07 AM
#deadfish2017

The battle system is surprisingly robust. I lost an hour to the game tonight without even realizing it. Way worth three bucks. Way way worth.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:45 AM
oh my car

Knowledge of the source material is not optional. It is mandatory.

Not because of the game, though. It's mandatory even for people who don't play this. It's mandatory, period. I will find you, and I will make you watch a cartoon.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:45 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Will it work on an iPad 2? Hardly any games I buy work on my iPad anymore
Old 04-03-2015, 07:27 AM
I. Love. It.

Man, my iThing isn't even as good as an iPad. I wish this were out on Steam.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:49 AM
contains words & diagrams

I spent all day yesterday trying to come up with a clever thread title playing off "if every X were perfect we wouldn't have Y" for this.

But yeah do you like Paper Mario? You could spend three bucks on something way shittier than this game then. Its got the very simplified inventory of you can equip one powerup accessory on each character, you can pick between HP Attack Defense and Crit Chance on leveling up, and brother I hope you fuckin' know about timed fuckin' hits. It also plays with the touchscreen aspect of the platform really well, one of Amethysts attacks is to swipe on enemies fast to do damage and Pearl has a manually aim and pull back to shoot line attack for example.

I haven't died yet but there've been a few times where I let myself get sloppy with defending and got myself into a bad spot so if you're worried the game isn't going to be engaging it is.

As for the not-mechanics stuff its pretty much fucking spot on Steven Universe but that's to be expected given that Sugar and Co. wrote and were highly involved in the development (thank you Bongo for telling me this and reassuring me that it meant only good things). If you don't watch the show the talky story parts will probably fall pretty flat and you're gonna be wondering why this dopey chubby kid with a pink navel piercing is being raised to be a harem boy for intergalactic bounty hunters and why everyone thinks its the bee's knees. That said you should probably go watch the show anyways if you're reading this for some reason and don't already.

For people playing it, in the second world: I chose to just capture the bright pink light outright because Garnet is usually right, but then I immediately started wondering if there's some kind of secret ending because of course there probably is so did anyone do something different and did it result in anything other than the pink light being captured?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:39 AM

@Tefari: I chose the most Steven-ish response (trying to make friends), and all it resulted in was XP for Pearl (who proceeded to explain that friendship with them was impossible). Then Garnet insisted on the prism and Steven relented.

Also, I managed to die in the first world's gauntlet. 40+ damage on a missed cue kind of hurts!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:30 AM
is Earnest

Oh cool, I will pick this up.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:26 PM

So I've played this some more. Probably some general spoilers ahead.

The battle system does pretty well at emphasizing how important each member is. Amethyst does best against lots of weaker guys, Garnet's your main bruiser, and Pearl is for low-cost poking to death (also stalling). And of course, Steven is for making sure no one gets hurt.

It's been said that it's like Paper Mario, but really, it's more like the Mario & Luigi RPGs, especially with the number scale, not to mention the badge system. Later on, when you get the ability to equip two badges per Gem, some tactical options really open up.

Right now I'm in the third world, and the dialogue is sounding a lot like Giant Woman (that is, Steven keeps trying to get the Gems to fuse), so I'm expecting things to get even more interesting once I reach the boss.

also holo pearl is kind of silly once you've reduced the enemy party to one

EDIT: Okay, fighting the third boss, apparently fusion was just an end-of-boss thing there. Though, it did take a spot in the attack wheel...hmm.

EDIT2: I see how it works now. Fusion costs 9 star points, which means you'll have to build up for it, and it's the last attack on everyone's attack wheel, meaning everyone needs high Harmony to use it. Basically, they fuse into Alexandrite and hit the enemy field like six or seven times for a lot of damage each hit.

Last edited by aturtledoesbite; 04-03-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:33 PM
oh my car

Finished up the indigo area. I should save the gauntlets until I've leveled up some more, I think. Against a real, non-tutorial challenge I'll definitely want more options than just basic attacks and the the first tier of better ones.

It's kind of hard to judge enemy hitboxes when you're using Spear Throw. Against the scorpion boss, I thought I could take out one of the babies and hit the big one at the same time, but instead it just went between them? Later on I accidentally destroyed two of the tails in one hit.

Pearl's basic attack being the cheapest makes it seem like she'd benefit the most from increasing her attack because of math, whereas the sheer number of hits Amethyst's moves do sounds like Luck would be a good stat to focus on there, for more crits. Everybody wants Defense and Harmony for general survivability, especially given how you end up taking like four times as much damage when you miss a defend cue, but I kinda get the feeling that everybody wants something else more - especially since the only kind of aggro management you get is using Bubble Shield when enemies telegraph their attacks instead of just attacking (I assume).

Does Star Fruit remain common throughout the game, or was that just the tutorial area being generous?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:52 PM

While Pearl's attack is the cheapest, it seems each ability has an attack multiplier of sorts, meaning that at equal attack values, Garnet will still be doing about twice as much damage as Pearl with basic attacks.

Star Fruit is everywhere. Hell, half the time I end up using a Star Fruit to kill a monster, which then proceeds to drop a Star Fruit.

Spear Throw is often not very useful compared to Garnet's basic attack (which you will probably use more than every other ability combined), unless you can line up like two or three enemies with it.

As far as aggro management, Pearl will soon get a skill that helps with that (and it's kind of hilariously too good, and even gets better). In fact, that skill is probably enough to get you through the Indigo Gauntlet.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Crazy Old Bird

The game indeed works fine on an iPad 2, though with weird graphical glitches in the portraits.

I like it! The timed hits are great for a non-Mario RPG, though they don't work nearly as well as in Paper Mario. The game has the bad habit of showing you a prompt of when to press the button, instead of relying on clear animation cues. Attacking works great, but defending is trickier than it should be.

I wonder how disastrous it would be if I followed my Mario & Luigi tradition of shoveling all my levels into Luck.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:22 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
While Pearl's attack is the cheapest, it seems each ability has an attack multiplier of sorts, meaning that at equal attack values, Garnet will still be doing about twice as much damage as Pearl with basic attacks.
It was foolish of me to assume I understood the arithmetic so early!
Old 04-03-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I wonder how disastrous it would be if I followed my Mario & Luigi tradition of shoveling all my levels into Luck.
Critical hits seem to have some sort of defense piercing effect, so it's probably a decent idea. Either that or I'm right at the edge of doing 1 damage per hit and the added crit damage just makes it look like it's a huge multiplier.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
I spent all day yesterday trying to come up with a clever thread title playing off "if every X were perfect we wouldn't have Y" for this.
I just realized I should've done something like "We'll Always Save The Day!" or something else from the theme song.

In unrelated news, just beat the final boss. Now to go do the gauntlets and find those last few badges I didn't have the gems to buy at the time.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:25 PM
borgn

Anybody remember where all the vendors you can buy red gems from are located? I saw one early on but can't for the life of me find it again now that I have enough money.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:27 PM
#deadfish2017

It's in 2-4 (or 2-3, whichever the the level before the boss).
Old 04-04-2015, 05:51 PM

I'm missing like two badges and I have no idea where they are.

Does anyone have, like, a list of shops yet or something?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:31 AM
borgn

I hope they put out an update for this soon. Halfway through the fourth world all these graphical glitches started happening and the game crashes at the end of every other battle. Anyone else having this problem? For reference, I'm playing it on an iPad air that's been rebooted in the hopes of stopping the crashes.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:39 AM

I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it's worked perfectly fine. If I were to guess, it might not have been designed with the increased screen size of the iPad in mind, with the graphical glitches. Wouldn't explain why it lasted fine until then, though.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Crazy Old Bird

I'm only in the third world on an iPad 2. I've had plenty of graphical glitches but no crashes yet. Now I'm scared that they're coming

Operation All the Luck is proceeding apace. The game's definitely harder than it would be otherwise, but still doable because it forces me to choose something other than Luck sometimes. I almost always have all the Gems bubbled, because the added survivability is a godsend and the counterattacks are a good source of damage. Of course the game compensates by having some enemies attack twice.

Poor Amethyst is lagging behind. I don't know if this game has aggro or not but enemies definitely seem to hone in on her more than the others. I'm kind of annoyed that she can't used some of the badges with Luck synergy. I get that they wanted to balance out her full party attacks but she ends up not benefiting as much from the stat as I'd like.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:33 PM
New Video World is out!

Is this on Android?
Old 04-05-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Poor Amethyst is lagging behind. I don't know if this game has aggro or not but enemies definitely seem to hone in on her more than the others.
So it's not just me. I swear I had Amethyst a full level behind the other Gems at one point, and that was with the +15% EXP badge.

I feel like some of the skills were just thrown in for the sake of having the same amount of skills on every Gem. About the only one whose skills I all used regularly were Garnet's. Pearl's second and fourth skills are very situational and honestly, all of Amethyst's skills cost too many stars. Most of Steven's ukulele songs aren't that useful (except for the status recovery one, which is basically required for half the game), mainly because their cost and short duration means you have to specifically build up for them or use an item to get any mileage out of them.

Also, madhair, yes this is on Android.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:52 PM
you work for ME now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I hope they put out an update for this soon. Halfway through the fourth world all these graphical glitches started happening and the game crashes at the end of every other battle. Anyone else having this problem? For reference, I'm playing it on an iPad air that's been rebooted in the hopes of stopping the crashes.
Yeah, I'm also playing on an Air, and mine crashed twice already. Once on first world, and again on second. No graphical glitches yet, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
all of Amethyst's skills cost too many stars.
That hasn't stopped me from spamming Purple Puma every chance I get.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:02 PM
oh my car

The developers confirmed that there's an aggro system: each individual enemy will focus on whichever gem they perceive as the biggest threat, i.e. the one that's done the most damage recently, probably. If you tend to open with a standard attack from Amethyst in order to try to spread status around, it would be a good idea to bubble her afterward.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:05 PM
New Video World is out!

This is cheap but not "get it literally free with Google Play Rewards credit" cheap, so I shall wait til it is.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
This is cheap but not "get it literally free with Google Play Rewards credit" cheap, so I shall wait til it is.
No, it's worth the three bucks.

Seriously.

Also Bongo the thing is I almost never use Amethyst in hard fights, yet enemies still focus her down.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:46 PM
oh my car

Weird. Well, good luck.

I'm making a feature wishlist for a sequel:
  • Exists
  • Greg
  • Beach City as hub location
  • Change up the party sometimes (Fusions other than Alexandrite? Ruby and Sapphire? Lapis? Characters yet to be introduced?)
  • A third badge slot
Old 04-05-2015, 08:01 PM
EARTH FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
  • Change up the party sometimes (Fusions other than Alexandrite? Ruby and Sapphire? Lapis? Characters yet to be introduced?)
Hmm

The devs said they'd like to do another one if everything works out.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:05 PM
contains words & diagrams

I feel reasonably confident the reason we only got Alexandrite is cause we haven't seen Pearl + Garnet yet in the show. Also you guys aren't alone my Amethyst is an aggro magnet and ya even with the 15% exp badge she's still behind.

Tags
mobile , rpg , steven universe