The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-22-2018, 02:03 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Default Stop quoting your Dad's law commercials! Talking about Big Mouth

So this raunchy animated Netflix comedy just got renewed for a third season so I think it's high time it got its own thread.

I passed on Big Mouth when the first season dropped, because by all appearances it looked like some of the other animated 'adult' """comedies""" littering the airwaves, and I didn't trust it to handle the subject of puberty with anything resembling sincerity. Plus, the visual style kind of threw me off, something about the faces and the lips in particular of the characters just looked wrong.

But then the second season dropped and I started hearing good things about it so I gave it a shot and, wow, yeah, it was actually really dang good. This show about dicks and bodily fluids and teenage embarrassment actually has a heart. It's much more than it first appears, so if you've been avoiding it because you think it's full of 'lol 69 nice' and erection jokes, well, it IS full of them, just not solely. It's shockingly honest, and kinda touching at times. Facial designs still kinda throw me now and then but I got used to them.

Though, fair warning, it DOES have animated portrayals of pubescent genitals, which might be a bridge too far for some. Hell the last moments of the first season hang a lampshade over the question of how close the show is to something illegal.

We're heading for a third season though, so they're probably good.

I'm torn over which character is my favorite, just limiting it to the kids I'd have to say Jay just barely over Season 1 Jessie (who is kind of a downer in Season 2, but for good reason, so....). Pretty much all of the Hormone Monsters (oh did I not mention the Hormone Monsters? The show has Hormone Monsters, manifestations of the characters' puberty which may or may not be real, but probably are) are great. I was unsure about Rick at first, but he won me over, what are you gonna do? The only one I didn't care for was Tyler, and he proves to be... a lot in the second half of Season 2. He's probably not going to be around in the future, though. Hopefully.

Season 2 also introduces the Shame Wizard and manifestations of other parts of our psyche. I'm honestly looking forward to seeing how the show branches out in the future with these ideas. There are still plenty of ideas the show can pull from the puberty well, true, but as we saw with the Shame Wizard puberty intertwines with so many other emotions.

But overall, the absolute best character is Coach Steve. He's basically Coach Z, I kid you not. A lovable, slightly off-putting, hapless high school coach with an indiscernible accent? Totally Coach Z.

But anyway! Big Mouth! It's a good show, surprisingly. Lots of heart, and other body parts. Check it out if you haven't. Just remember it is POWERFULLY NSFW.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:59 PM
Outraged!

Itís a goodí un.

Worth noting that itís Nick Krollís baby. If you liked Kroll Show it hits a lot of the same notes. If you canít stand Nick Kroll, he does half the characters so probably not for you.

My wife caught the first part of the season 2 episode where they notice the classmate who suddenly had boobs and that did not make a great first impression (she really liked Kroll Show and was super disappointed with what she thought this was). I told her to give it a shot, though, and she loved it.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:27 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Good show. In s2 though I miss Jordan Peele's Duke Ellington ghost. Still there but far less prominent.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:24 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Yes, the Ghost of Duke Ellington is a treat.

I think his reduced screentime in the second season was largely due to Peele being, well, busier post-Get Out.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:22 AM
Jingle Machine

Pronouns: He

Iíve just started watching the show and was surprised that it is, in fact, funny and well written enough to off-set how gross it is. Which is an astonishing feat, considering.

Also, Iím starting to think I may only specifically dislike Nick Kroll and Jason Manzoukas on Comedy Bang-Bang, because I do like them here (and also on Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place).
Old 12-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

As I said in the general cartoon thread, what I love most about this show is that it figured out how to make Quagmire work. In Family Guy, the joke is "ha ha, this character is a literal rapist, isn't that wacky." In Big Mouth, the joke is "ha ha, our lizardbrains make us think weird and effed-up stuff, isn't that wacky." The latter is something I can relate to pretty hard. I like how this show explores lust and shame as evolutionary mechanisms that go haywire in annoying ways, even though they both exist for important reasons.

Coach Steve kind of gets on my nerves.

Season two finale spoilers: I'm wondering if Connie getting assigned as Nick's hormone monster is supposed to mean anything. Is the show gearing up to explore trans stuff or are they just culling the cast to avoid having a million hormone creatures? Nick Kroll is prooobably not a good choice for voicing a trans character. I'm likely reading too much into it.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:54 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

QUAGMIRE ANALYSIS

With Quagmire, he's kind of a meta character after the show came back from its cancellation post season 3, he immediately becomes a joke about rape jokes rather than a rape joke, so to speak. It doesn't make it acceptable but it's a different presentation than "he's a rapist, isn't that wacky". His first truly over the line joke towards the end of season 3, he stumbles across a tied-up cheerleader in a bathroom stall and says "dear diary - jackpot" which is funny because it's a) truly shocking and b) way over the line for the character up to that point. As the series wore on post-revival you'd have Quagmire literally dragging unconscious women around and forcing himself on Marge Simpson in a quest to recapture that original shock moment, mostly being met with apathy at how tryhard it was. But then - as Family Guy is remarkably good at doing - they made their own lazy writing into a thing and started interjecting the "who else but Quagmire" stuff. Which is funny the first time out because it's for the first time positioning the fucking sex criminal as a japester or sort of vaudeville performer in a really committed and self-aware way (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjw5mgBNPlY is an early example and it's fucking disgusting), then they did it to death and Quagmire became actively annoying, then they just made him into a meta joke about himself and how awful he is, then they lampshade it into a meta joke about a meta joke, and more recently he's changed characterisation almost entirely into a sort of Chuck Jones Daffy Duck style foil for Peter... Family Guy's a weird show that's been running for a long time.

(Cough) yeah Big Mouth is good.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:17 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Season two finale spoilers: I'm wondering if Connie getting assigned as Nick's hormone monster is supposed to mean anything. Is the show gearing up to explore trans stuff or are they just culling the cast to avoid having a million hormone creatures? Nick Kroll is prooobably not a good choice for voicing a trans character. I'm likely reading too much into it.
I briefly thought that too, but Connie specifically says that when she's done with Nick, he'll be a man. Considering that the show seems to be taking Jay into a bisexual direction (or, pansexual? Maybe it's pansexual) I wouldn't be too surprised if they tackle trans issues in the future, but I doubt it'll be through Nick.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Jingle Machine

Pronouns: He

Quagmires abrupt change from being a horrible sex criminal into the Frank Grimes of Family Guy is far and away the best thing they ever did with the character (by default, honestly).
Old 12-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
I briefly thought that too, but Connie specifically says that when she's done with Nick, he'll be a man. Considering that the show seems to be taking Jay into a bisexual direction (or, pansexual? Maybe it's pansexual) I wouldn't be too surprised if they tackle trans issues in the future, but I doubt it'll be through Nick.
Oh yeah, good point. That's a relief. Maybe it's just that Nick is more in tune with his feminine side, which gives him a lot of game with the ladies. Jay throwing himself into a bisexual pillow threesome is definitely a high point. I'm 100% on board with that development, especially since it helps with Matthew's transformation into an actual character.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:13 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I'm so mad that someone has tagged this thread "thick in the warm" because, bearing in mind that I have watched some truly atrocious, Cinema Sewer-level depraved movies and TV, "I made thick in her warm" nearly made me gag. It's awful.

(Gross awful, not bad awful)
Old 12-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

That, uh, that was me, sorry. I honestly wasn't aware that it had any pre-existing connotations, I just thought it was one of Coach Steve's idiosyncrasies. Given the series, probably should've known better.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:26 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Haha, nah, it's just me. I think it's just the grossest thing.

Tags
bubba baff , netflix , party wolf! , puberty