The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Default Unsung Story: Let Us Kickstart Matsuno Together

Yasumi Matsuno is designing a new tactical RPG, and it's being Kickstarted. (Parish article)

The Kickstarter page is here.

I'm tempted to pledge extra for either the Art or Design forum input tiers, even though that's crazy. I'm definitely not going to pay for both, so I'm trying to decide which to go with.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

The only question is what tier to donate at, really.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

I got one of the $250s, but I'll very likely move up or down based on where everything sits at the end with stretch goals and all.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Space dad

Christophe Boelinger (Earth Reborn) is in on this too? Now I'm extra interested.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Your life is forfeit

I wanted to do a high-dollar tier, but money. I went with $80 but may adjust it downward.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
$2.3M – Hitoshi Sakimoto will now provide music for the Card Game

We will now have Hitoshi Sakimoto compose the score for the Unsung Story Card Game.
I don't get it.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:21 PM

The developers are talking non-stop about Matsuno, but he didn't make a single appearance on his own in the video. Not even a short greeting or anything like that. I don't know, feels a little weird. Makes me wonder if Matsuno's actually deeply involved in the project of if they are trying to bank on his name.

Talking about weird things: A Matsuno game without Yoshida artwork feels pretty weird, too. His style is so deeply linked to Matsuno's games in my head that it's kind of hard to think of Unsung Story as a "Matsuno game" when the art looks so ... different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsnow View Post
I don't get it.
Playdek's main business are board and card game adaptations for iOS, I think. They apparently plan to make a card game based on Unsung Story too, which is kind of part of the Kickstarter, apparently.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Sudden chomper

So I guess this game will be more Tactics Ogre and less Ogre Battle, huh? That's kind of too bad, since there are way more of the former and a lot less of the latter, but I'm still interested. The only thing that gives me pause is that the project suffers from some serious Stretch-Goal-itis, in that the $600,000 they are asking for seems like about a quarter of what they actually want. I'm going to wait and see for now, but if it looks like they will make enough to get Sakimoto on board then I might contribute $50 to get the soundtrack. It would be great if they made it up to 2.6 million for the full orchestra recording, but that seems a little unlikely.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izanagi View Post
Makes me wonder if Matsuno's actually deeply involved in the project of if they are trying to bank on his name.
Quote:
A rich, diverse Tactical RPG, envisioned by the master of the genre Yasumi Matsuno, Playdek, and you, the fans!
I'm "envisioning" the latter.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Find Your Reason

I was puzzled at the mention of a Joan of Arc RPG in the article, and how Unsung could end up resembling it, until I saw the Jeanne d'Arc screenshot and decided not to be anal about it

But that aside, yes, more games need to be like Jd'A. FFT casts a long shadow, one that I hope Unsung can come out of, and that little TRPG is very much an unsung classic as well.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:40 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

playdek makes really good ports of boardgames. i have no idea how that will translate to this.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:47 PM

Matsuno tweeted about the project.
"松野 泰己 ‏@YasumiMatsuno 18h
記事に見たことのないコンセプトアートが掲載されていたのだけど、自分が関わっているっぽくないのが新鮮だ w あくまでもゲーム企画(原案)とシナリオ・世界観 の提案のみでも関わり方なので、実際にどんな画面になるのか、どんなUIになるのか、まだ不明 だよな~w #UnsungStory"

Translation provided by a GAFer

"There was some concept art [for the game] that I'd never seen in the article, but I like that it doesn't have the typical look of my projects. My involvement in the project is limited to providing the original design plan, the story, and the setting, so I have no idea what the actual game will look like and what the UI will look like."

I'm sure this will be a good game, but I feel confirmed in my doubts. They obviously aren't lying about his involvement or anything like that, but it does feel a little insincere to me. I don't think I'll back this.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Your life is forfeit

I've seen a lot of people raise alarms about Matsuno's failure to appear in the video, but you do realize he's become extremely private, right? I can count his public appearances since FFXII on one hand, and one of them was at TGS to give interviews about this game.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:00 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Hell, they don't even have a real picture of him on that Kickstarter.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:02 PM
never again

If am understanding correctly, Matsuno is participating in the early high level design & direction of the game and then Playdek is going to go make the game assuming it gets funded?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:07 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotpatrick View Post
If am understanding correctly, Matsuno is participating in the early high level design & direction of the game and then Playdek is going to go make the game assuming it gets funded?
Yes.

The tone of the GAF translation is way off. It makes it sound as if he's wiping his hands of the project, when it should read more like he's excited to how it will turn out. He's also been retweeting articles about it, so this isn't like him trying to distance himself from the project. He's just clarifying that he's doing early high level design rather than granular work.

(In other words, the translation sounds like a GAF poster promoting a cynical reading of the project instead of Matsuno providing friendly and forward looking clarification. Gee how did that happen.)

Last edited by estragon; 01-14-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9inchsamurai View Post
Hell, they don't even have a real picture of him on that Kickstarter.
Yeah, I noticed that. It really stood out - speaks quite a lot as to how much he doesn't like attention, I think.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:22 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Yeah, I noticed that. It really stood out - speaks quite a lot as to how much he doesn't like attention, I think.
That's his twitter profile picture as well. I think he just prefers that over a photograph.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:33 PM
hang high, soft star

For a second there I thought it read Kickstart Kawazu and I was like oh fuckin shit I gotta throw some dollars at that insane asshole. Matsuno is cool too though I guess. Please let it be a long form Crimson Shroud Please let it be a long form Crimson Shroud Please let it be a long form Crimson Shroud Please let it be a long form Crimson Shroud Please let it be a long form Crimson Shroud
Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
That's his twitter profile picture as well. I think he just prefers that over a photograph.
Yep, and it's also the picture on his business card -- basically his face to the world in every respect. He's just a private kind of guy. A video game and Western history buff who's good at combining his interests and doesn't want to have his face splashed all over the Internet.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

I also note that Matsuno says in that tweet he doesn't know what the final game will *look* like (since he's not doing art direction), not that he doesn't know what it will *play* like. My impression so far is that he has his hands in the basic gameplay design (in addition to the world/scenario/plot design), although the implementation and finer details will be left to Playdek's production team.

Anyway, I'm totally in on this, though I'm a little sad that the stretch goal I *most* want is all the way up in the stratosphere at $2.8 million. (That is, getting the game on a platform I actually use to play games.) $1.3M for Sakimoto is obviously the other big one. Hell, if they hit the $3.1M live concert I may have to figure out how to get myself to SoCal at the right time. :P

Actually, the platform stretch goals bring up a good question that I didn't see answered on the page - will they be an option for your KS preorder copy? Maybe I'll ask and see if they put it up as a FAQ.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:31 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

For people concerned about the optics of Matsuno not appearing with Playdek people, there is a long Famitsu interview with Matsuno and Joel Goodman from playdeck, featuring a picture of them together. (Note that the Famitsu interview is from last September, when it was just aiming to be a small scale mobile project.)

I think this is the most important part:

Quote:
松野泰己氏(以下、松野僕はもともとフリーランスになったときになんでも仕事を受けようとは思っていたんで すよ。スマホ関連の話もたくさんいただいていたんですが、話を聞いてみるとビジネスモデルやマネタイズ優先 のものが多くて、少し自分のイメージするところとは違っていたんですよね。

――食指が動かなかったと。

松野 これは持論になるんですが、いわゆるAAA(トリプルエー)と呼ばれるような大きなタイトル群がまず あって、でもそれはごく一部ですよね。それよりは、ある程度安価なバジェット(予算感)のタイトルっていう のはものすごくたくさんあります。それらが遊べるハードというのは携帯ゲーム機もコンソール系も、スマホも ありますけど、それって消費者からみたらどれでもいいんですよね。

だからかつてファミコンやプレイステーションで遊んでいたようなゲームらしいゲームの流れは、この先も変わ らないと思って、そういうゲームを作りたいなというのはずっと考えていたんです。そのときにジョエルが声を かけてくれて、それがちゃんとしたゲームを作りましょうという話だったわけです。
The gist of Matsuno's take is that he heard a lot of proposals/offers for game projects, but he didn't like the tendency toward focus on monetization elements in them. After talking with playdek, he felt like this collaboration might allow him to make the kind of game he likes to make.

Another update from Matsuno's twitter:

Quote:
松野 泰己 ‏@YasumiMatsuno 12分
誤解を受けそうなので簡単に説明しておきますと、iOS/Androidの開発予算はすでに確保されています。よってKickstarterの資金調達に関わらずi OS/Android版は確実にリリースされます
Quote:
発表以降、Playdek社に対して様々な要望があったようで、それらを実現するためにKickstart erと連携することになった…と私は聞いています。
よって(Q&Aにもありますが)私の作業はKickstarterと関係なく進めております。 #UnsungStory
They already have funding for iOS/Android development, and the kickstarter is to try to expand beyond that. They were working on a small scale mobile game, and fans asked for more. So, this is their attempt to allow the fans who have been asking for more for a chance to fund that development.

This is not new information, but I just thought I'd throw out Matsuno saying this stuff himself.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:21 PM
Banned

So is this going to be a mobile game or will it come to consoles?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:23 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

My understanding is that regardless of the Kickstarter's success it's coming to iOS and Android, and the initial goal is for PC and Mac versions. There's stretch goals for Vita and 3DS, but that's it.

I may or may not back it. I have no doubt it's going to get funded (137K out of 600K less than a day in), but if it needs the help to push it to Sakimoto times, than I won't mind throwing a few bucks at it.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:10 PM
the :motion: stands

Pronouns: He / Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I am already reminded of Tactics with such things as "your face on a solider" and

$2.45M – Alexander O. Smith will compose Flavor Text for the Unsung Story Card Game and 2 Additional Classes will be added
The flavor text for the Unsung Story Card Game will not be composed by Alexander O. Smith and we will also add 2 more additional classes to the tactics game.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:40 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
I may or may not back it. I have no doubt it's going to get funded (137K out of 600K less than a day in), but if it needs the help to push it to Sakimoto times, than I won't mind throwing a few bucks at it.
This is where I'm at. This looks really cool, but I'm not exactly flush right now and I've backed about 10 games and only 2 have been completed, one of which I got today. I'm not worried about getting the games, I just want to get something back before I back anything else.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:17 AM
concentrate

$20 sounds like a fair price for a tactics game on my tablet. A 3DS version would be awesome, but the price tag looks unlikely.

Also, what is with that title? It sounds like it was made by Fantasy Video Game Name Generator.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 AM
100% All Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli T View Post
$20 sounds like a fair price for a tactics game on my tablet. A 3DS version would be awesome, but the price tag looks unlikely.

Also, what is with that title? It sounds like it was made by Fantasy Video Game Name Generator.
It would actually be pretty good without that subtitle. Shame it doesn't keep up the tradition of being named after Queen lyrics, though.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Yeah, as far as platforms, iOS/Android is what it was already geting made for, PC/Mac come with the basic kickstarter goal (which looks pretty certain), and Vita/3DS are listed stretch goals that may or may not be met depending on how much more this thing takes off. But the devs also said in a FAQ answer that they would "consider" other platforms - presumably meaning PSN/XBox downloadable. So if this thing does blow into several million and they see a lot of demand in people asking questions, I wouldn't think it too unlikely for them to farm out some home console ports.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:48 PM
so exciting!

man the 3DS goal is quite a stretch

Tags
matsuno , you the fans