The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-08-2013, 06:03 AM
I. Love. It.

Default Belly-dancing to victory! Talking about the Shantae series

So in celebration of Shantae joining the ranks of TT forum smileys (and also her upcoming 3DS/kickstarter games or whatever) I believe the Shantae games deserve their own thread split from the general WayForward thread.

I, like lots of people I imagine, was first introduced to Shantae via Brickroad's 59-part LP extravaganza on the Youtubes. It's a game I really would have liked to play back in the day had I known it existed, but it was a GBC game that came out basically around the same time the GBA launched, so it was just a little too late to the party. Cartridges still go for about half a month's rent due to how few were printed. However this story has a happy ending, you can now download the original GBC game on the 3DS's Virtual Console service! And in one last act of trolling the series with bad timing Nintendo just so happened to release Earthbound on the same day Shantae came out.

Oh Nintendo, you rascal.

The key gameplay gimmick of Shantae, besides her kickass hair-whipping, is the ability to transform into various animals via belly-dancing, which allow her to access different areas in the inter-connected overworld, all Metroidvania style.

Work that new smiley, Shantae!

That GBC game wasn't the end of Shantae though as a GBA sequel was reportedly in the works, but Shantae Advance never saw the light of day. You can see a brief demo of the game that never was here and here (alas, we'll probably never see Risky Boots try again to put the screws to Sequin Land with an earthquake machine). The Shantae Wiki (of course there is one) has a few more images of the GBA sequel if you're so inclined. Much like the first game, the GBA sequel was supposedly entirely made by Matt Bozon on his own time. (the internets is a giant liarpants, but still) Bless you, Mr. Bozon!

Shantae finally saw a sequel in the DS era on the DSi download system, Shantae: Risky's Revenge clearly reused some did not use any assets from the GBA game (Spoony is blind and dumb), but gave us an entirely different story. I dunno, I kinda wish they worked the whole earthquake machine into the game somehow. I was finally able to play this one myself when the 3DS came out, since I had an OG model DS and I wasn't about to buy the same system just for DSi features, not even for Shantae. But now everyone what has a 3DS can have both Shantae games with them at all times!

Later the game was ported to iOS, which allowed Brickroad to treat us with an LP of that game.

Coming soon, later this year in fact, is the third game in the Shantae series: Pirate's Curse. This has Shantae teaming up with longtime rival Risky Boots to deal with the fallout from what happened in the climax of the last game. Why I bet they'll be friends forever and Risky will never try to betray her or anything! Shantae loses her signature animal transformations in this title and decides to do the obvious thing when that happens and becomes a pirate. Because when you lose the ability to magically transform into an elephant whenever you want then the best thing to do is magically pull a giant cannon out of hammerspace instead!

Finally, that 3DS title won't be it for Shantae if fans and Kickstarter have their way! Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is a new proposed project for basically all of the platforms (sadly not 3DS, we'll have to give up the dream of potentially having four Shantae games in our pocket) that's all HD and awesome-looking. Shantae's animal transformations return in this title so it either takes place before Risky's Revenge, or after Pirate's Curse assuming she gets them back in that game (spoilers?!). As of posting this the Kickstarter is only almost half-way to the goal, but it still has the rest of September to go. Try hard, WayForward! I'd be super happy to see it funded, but I gotta admit, I'd also like to see it reach the first stretch goal AT LEAST, losing a potential Risky Boots game mode would just be heartbreaking.

That's where we stand right now when it comes to Shantae. The whole world and characters seemed pre-planned from the first game, as if it was all based on some Saturday morning cartoon that never saw the light of day. It's a series that just has a lot of charm and personality to it, and rough patches aside it's clearly one that's developed by people that want to make fun games and just try their darndest to do so. In an industry filled to the brim with AAA grey-brown cover based shooters and over-the-top anime ridiculousness, we need more series like Shantae.

Last edited by SpoonyBardOL; 09-08-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:08 AM
chairman of the bored

This is an alright series.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:14 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Sometimes I feel kind of bad that my (unsealed, boxless) copy of Shantae just sits in the bottom of my gaming junk drawer.

Not bad enough to give it to someone more deserving, of course. But, you know. Kinda bad sometimes.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Hullo

I like this series for its ambition a lot more than its execution, unfortunately. I did my part and picked up the games so far on the eShop and... unless I'm missing something, there is no map. At all.

I didn't know about Brick's LP, I'll use that to get started with the original I think.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post

Work that new smiley, Shantae!
At first I read this as wishful thinking. It turned out to be true. And AMAZING.

As it turn out, Shante is one of the few series I'd rather watch other people (well, one other person at least) play than to actually play myself. I do appreciate the intentions, because it's very pretty and sounds quite nice! We'll have to see if Pirate's Curse manages to fix all of Risky's Revenge's problems without introducing a new slew of it's own head-slappers.

I'm hoping for the best.

I will be getting it on day one, regardless of the quality of the final product, and I'm going to be putting some dollars towards the kickstarter this coming payday. I'm not crazy about the two available Shantaes, but I apparently have a lot of faith that eventually one of them will be something I want to yell from the mountaintops about. (In a good way.)
Old 09-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

The original Shantae is flawed, but also very obviously made with a mixture of love and ambition. That said, I'm glad I watched Brick's LP of it because I doubt I will ever play through the whole game myself (didn't stop me from buying it on virtual console though).

Risky's Revenge is completely legit, though. Tightly designed, well balanced and gorgeous. I don't worship everything WayForward does - in fact most of their games have one or more very deep flaws - but RR is an exception to that, far and beyond their best game. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Pirate's Curse but the trailer they recently put out was very promising.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Come, noble knights!

The only thing I didn't like about Risky's Revenge was that it could only fit in like two (real) dungeons. You could tell the game was pushing the limits of DSiWare's crappy file size.

On a more nitpicky note, I would've had Risky's ship in the opening boss fight finish off Shantae with the anchor attack it doesn't use until the rematch instead of just a cannonball. I mean, c'mon! It comes right out of the place where the weakpoint is! Shantae goes for the kill and BAM! EAT ANCHOR!
Old 09-08-2013, 11:22 AM

Two dungeons? Really?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Come, noble knights!

Well the place you get the second MacGuffin is more of an enemy rush across a series of linear rooms and the final "dungeon" is basically a sidescrolling shooter minigame followed by a dark room.

That's not to say the game world's too small, though. In particular, you'll cover a lot of ground on the way to the enemy rush tower.

Does get pretty fetch questy though, especially near the end.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:13 PM

So the game levels are pretty big, but you can tell they're trying to not be any bigger than they strictly need to be?
Old 09-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Little Waves

Apologies in advance for making a dowdy correction post.

Quote:
Much like the first game, the GBA sequel was supposedly entirely made by Matt Bozon on his own time. Bless you, Mr. Bozon!
Shantae was made by the entire WayForward Pocket Team. And the impression I've gotten from interviews is that it was made on company time like any other game, just on a very relaxed schedule.

Quote:
Shantae finally saw a sequel in the DS era on the DSi download system, Shantae: Risky's Revenge clearly reused some assets from the GBA game, but gave us an entirely different story.
I can't think of any GBA assets that were reused in Risky's Revenge. They share common motifs, but the graphics themselves were totally redone.

One thing Risky's Revenge did get from the GBA game was the layer-shifting mechanic.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:42 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Apologies in advance for making a dowdy correction post.
Clearly the internet has lied to me. It is a fickle, untrustworthy thing.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:55 PM
heh

I downloaded Shantae this weekend off the VC and I am seriously impressed. My only exposure to the series before now was whatever one got ported to iOS, and I enjoyed what I played of that, just wished it had a proper controller. But in any case, the original Shantae is one hell of an achievement. I don't remember the GBC having games that looked this good. The gameplay isn't perfect, by any means, but it has so much charm that I'm willing to overlook its flaws.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:57 AM
King Of Space-Time

Cool

That is sweet, but that's her idle animation.
Now HERE's some groovin'

Aw yeah, work that pixel!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 AM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
That is sweet, but that's her idle animation.
I know, I went with it since it was the 'neutral' one of all the dancing animations. I thought about picking one of the f'real dance moves, but doing that would've meant choosing one out of all of them, and that was not a choice I could make.

Who could make such a choice?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:16 AM
King Of Space-Time

Make them all
Old 09-09-2013, 07:22 AM
I. Love. It.

I may or may not have already started working on gif-ing Shantae's various animations >_>

Though it's really a question of 'will the admins allow that much Shantae in our smiley list'?
Old 09-09-2013, 08:52 AM
King Of Space-Time

Well maybe just #3 and #7. Or better yet, make a loop of the whole routine. Appropriately groovy.

Last edited by Daikaiju; 09-09-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
I may or may not have already started working on gif-ing Shantae's various animations >_>
I've captured all of them if you want any.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:37 PM
heh

Last night my VC copy of Shantae hard-locked and glitched just like an actual cart. Kinda cool to see the emulation being that accurate, even if it was frustrating at the time.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Though it's really a question of 'will the admins allow that much Shantae in our smiley list'?
It seems unlikely.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 AM
It's dog eat dog

Finally created a Kickstarter account for this. Go, go, GO!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:04 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

If I wanted to try one of these, which should I try? Risky's Revenge or the GBC one?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:15 AM
I. Love. It.

Risky's Revenge doesn't have as much content as the first game, but it is tighter, more streamlined, and doesn't waste your time. It's also really nice looking and sounding. And hey, if you finish it and decide you want more Shantae then the first game is there to dive into, and you'll have a good sense of how it should play (but it is more obtuse and a bit meaner in places than the sequel).

Story-wise there isn't much you need to know from the first game. Shantae is the half-genie protector of Scuttle Town, along with her friends Bolo and Skye and her Uncle Mimic, and at the end of the first game she thwarted the ambitions of 'Lady Pirate' Risky Boots.

Also there is a zombie girl named Rottytops who probably has one of the best zombie names ever.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

"Story"? It's a platformer, who gives a shit? Jump and attack things. That's the story.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Mystery Contraption

The original is like Simons Quest, if Simons Quest was designed to be fun instead of a huge pain in the butt.

Riskys Revenge is like Shantae except more streamlined and fun to fight monsters and with a less interesting and fun to explore world.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Bald Gendou

Start with Risky's Revenge.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Guycot View Post
Start with Risky's Revenge.
Can you buy it on the 3DS eShop?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Can you buy it on the 3DS eShop?
Yea verily!
Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Yea verily!

Tags
3d boob slider , a.d.i.d.a.s. , bazongas , bozongas , chimichangas , cover your shame , deep cleavage , gazongas , its ok cause we like it , sex positivity , shantae , slave costume , u make pete d sad , wayforward , we hate sex , y'all way too innocent