The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-10-2016, 10:57 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him
Default LET IT DIE

So Grasshopper Manufacture's latest game had a surprise launch on PS4 last weekend! It's a free-to-play loot-based dungeon crawler based on Souls mechanics and online connectivity. Despite that description, I've found it surprisingly not crap! It's got its hooks in me and I've been playing it off and on all week. Gameplay seems simplistic at first but once you unlock more moves and equipment as you progress the game has a surprising amount of depth. The microtransaction hooks are week as fuck too and I haven't felt the slightest pressure to spend money yet (though I've been enjoying the game enough that I'll probably toss them some money down the line out of goodwill).

Anyone else playing this?
Old 12-10-2016, 11:20 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

I've only played one session of it so far, but everything I saw seemed promising. I didn't level up any of my weapon masteries high enough to unlock special moves, so that's my biggest question mark now in terms of the game's depth. I also had a hell of a difficult time trying to fight more than 1 enemy at at once; you can't seem to change your lock-on target as easily as you can in Dark Souls, which sucks a lot.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:44 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I've played up through the third floor miniboss, at least before getting distracted by Borderlands: The Handsome Collection.

I really like this one. Hope we'll see some great expansions down the line.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:44 AM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I've only played one session of it so far, but everything I saw seemed promising. I didn't level up any of my weapon masteries high enough to unlock special moves, so that's my biggest question mark now in terms of the game's depth. I also had a hell of a difficult time trying to fight more than 1 enemy at at once; you can't seem to change your lock-on target as easily as you can in Dark Souls, which sucks a lot.
Each weapon gets a new light combo and a heavy attack (basically R2 attacks from souls) from leveling up far enough. Masteries are shared between characters so it's worth it to stick with weapons you like.

To switch targets you press up on the D-Pad. Stupid I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I've played up through the third floor miniboss, at least before getting distracted by Borderlands: The Handsome Collection.

I really like this one. Hope we'll see some great expansions down the line.
The game has been out a week and I haven't heard of anyone making it to the top of the tower yet, so the game either has plenty of depth or becomes pointlessly hard at some point (I've heard the second true boss is a real difficulty spike)
Old 08-19-2018, 08:45 PM
Chief Servbot

Game is coming to PC, if anyone cares
Old 08-20-2018, 07:17 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
Huh, neat. Free sounds like a good price to check this out at. Any retrospect thoughts about it?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:18 AM
I am a Gundam!

It is eventually very bad. The game uses Soulsiness as a cover for a brutal gameplay loop of making a character who is as strong as you can, then making a character who is slightly more as strong as you can, and so on. Forever.

The early bits are fine, though. Play until you get frustrated 15% in, watch the ending cutscene on YouTube.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:17 AM
Chief Servbot

It's a free to play game so eventually it becomes very unfair but the core gameplay loop is pretty fun. I haven't played in over a year so I don't know what the added content is they've done in that time
Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 AM

Cool, this was always one of the PS4 games I wanted to check out but couldn't. I'll give it a shot when it hits PC.

Tags
grasshopper manufacture