The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 03-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Shall we praise the sun?

The studies I've seen suggest that an early drinking debut only increases the risk of alcoholism. Of course, those were Swedish studies, and we're much heavier binge drinkers than Americans (I know several people who had their first alcohol-related blackout before their fifteenth birthday).
Old 03-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, but I'm in favor of education rather than sheer ignorance like our country tends to practice. This is especially true with teenagers because they don't usually listen unless they try something for themselves and figure out that hey, maybe those adults were on to something!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortbassist89 View Post
My official answer is that this story was handed down to me by. er. my older brother.

Yep. Good ol' cortbassist86.
Dude, I'm not going to narc you out. I was just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I'm pretty sure the entirety of Europe and Asia would like to say hi.
Well, when the entirety of Europe and Asia force us to change our laws concerning alcohol, let me know.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Rawrther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
Dude, I'm not going to narc you out. I was just curious.
Ah yes. But what if I want to be gainfully employed someday? And they do an extensive google search?

My official stance still... er, stands.

But unofficially, I really only felt the need to try alcohol because I'd never done so, and my parents had made it sound like The Devil's Syrup, so naturally, it seemed cool.

And it was very cool indeed.

I haven't drank so much that I've passed out or anything; actually, I usually can't force many more drinks down once I'm drunk, because of the full sensation of my stomach.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Yeah, that means absolutely nothing actually. The people who handle alcohol the best are the ones who learn what it's like to drink it and all the attendant crap before they go to college party land.
I never drank much in college party land - didn't even have an alcoholic drink at school until sophomore year. And I'm at a school known for parties.

And then I went to Ireland.

The rumors are all true. I think I just need to promise myself not to drink much around my roommate, because he's just a very generous guy who always refills your whiskey or your wine or hands you another bottle of cheap beer.

I know Irishmen who have taken final exams drunk... and passed. Got the equivalent of a B or B+. I applaud, but cannot follow. And those exams? Engineering. I can almost see passing a history test drunk, but all that math? Never.

Oh well, at least I can now adequately judge other people's hangover stories, having experienced one myself.

As the great British writer Kingsley Amis has it in Lucky Jim:

Quote:
"The light did him harm, but not as much as looking at things did; he resolved, having done it once, never to move his eyeballs again. A dusty thudding in his head made the scene before him beat like a pulse. His mouth had been used as a latrine by some small creature of the night, and then as its mausoleum. During the night, too, he'd somehow been on a cross-country run and then been expertly beaten up by secret police. He felt bad."
OK - Mine wasn't quite so unpleasant...
Old 03-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
There is a certain school of thought that says more of what messed you up in the first place is good for what ails ya.
It's called homeopathy, and it's bullllshiiiiiiit.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:52 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

here's some knowledge I feel like passing down:

if you drink a whole lot of goldschläger and a whole lot of banana schnapps to the point of puking a lot and then blacking out, you will probably not want to eat a banana for several weeks thereafter.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:27 PM
i musnt run away

My friends, I assure you with 100% truthfulness that I am fucking drunk off my ass right now.

And yet my typing skills seem to not suffer for it.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 AM
We just don't know.

DID YOU KNOW:

Moderate drinkers have far lower risk of heart disease than heavy drinkers or teetotalers.

I usually have a drink once a day, two or three if I go out or anything. It's, uh, it's for my health.

THE MORE YOU KNOW!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Getting drunk for the sake of getting drunk is dumb. I said I've only been drunk once not I never drink. I just know what my limits are and don't go past them.

And the one time I did go past them, it was thanks to like six shots of tequila, which I only did because some asshole totally dared me to. I mean come on!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
And the one time I did go past them, it was thanks to like six shots of tequila, which I only did because some asshole totally dared me to. I mean come on!
No one is going to question your decision making in the face of a dare. That shit is serious business.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Find Your Reason

I am the biggest square. EVER.

Nobody in my family drinks, not outside social gatherings and family events, and even then it's just really mild stuff (wine and champagne, really. Maaaaaaaaaybe rum or vodka on occasion.) It was never a problem as I grew up: it wasn't forbidden, it wasn't talked about, it was sort of like a blind spot where my family was concerned. Thus, like smoking, I simply never developed the slightest interest in it, but I always did question the wisdom of getting yourself drunk to stave off dealing with reality.

Leading up to this day, I can count in one hand the times I've had hard liquor, I detest the taste of beer, and I've never been drunk. I mean, I don't even know what my limits are, since the times I've consumed alcohol are so few and far between and I consume so little when I do. I AM A MEXICAN WHO HAS NEVER DRUNK TEQUILA HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE. As it stands, it's not that I have an aversion to alcohol, I just decide what to eat or drink entirely by taste, and I think other stuff tastes better.

I make a hell of a designated driver. I'm still the biggest square that ever was.

Still, I think I WOULD like to get uproariously drunk sometime. A friend once mentioned that, during his years living in Japan, he drank just one glass of this this "Mysterious Green Drink" (as we've come to call it) that messed with him so bad he lost two days, and by the time he regained awareness his colleagues and friends were suddenly much friendlier and familiar than before. He says he found the name of this drink recently, so that's something to look forward to.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
Getting drunk for the sake of getting drunk is fun.
Fixed. It also takes your mind off how much your life sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Still, I think I WOULD like to get uproariously drunk sometime. A friend once mentioned that, during his years living in Japan, he drank just one glass of this this "Mysterious Green Drink" (as we've come to call it) that messed with him so bad he lost two days, and by the time he regained awareness his colleagues and friends were suddenly much friendlier and familiar than before.
I don't know how to tell you this, but... your friend was drugged and raped. It's a classic Japanese office prank.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:07 AM
gatchapon 3*

that green dreen was absinthe, likely. I used to drink it all the time in Japan. But i absolutely love the taste,so..
Old 03-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkuro View Post
Fixed. It also takes your mind off how much your life sucks.
My life doesn't suck, though. My life is pretty awesome!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
My life doesn't suck, though. My life is pretty awesome!
That's because you're not getting drunk often enough.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 AM
We just don't know.

Green alcoholic drink, lost two days, everyone changes their behavior around you... yep, definitely sounds like absinthe.

Makkuro drinks because he's sad, and he's sad because he drinks.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Loves to Party

UPDATE!

I am not, in fact, drunk at the moment, but I have not slept for more than 2 hours at a time in nearly a week. I am extremely sleep-deprived, and currently running on little other than caffeine, nicotine, adrenaline, and sheer, unadulterated rage. The neurological effects of the two phenomena, however, are nearly identical.

Point being, you guys should probably disregard anything that I've posted (including this) since Saturday or so, because I am only very slightly coherent, and literally all of my mental faculties are engaged by programming and manufacturing projects.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

Quote:
Getting drunk for the sake of getting drunk is dumb. I said I've only been drunk once not I never drink. I just know what my limits are and don't go past them.
I think the dumbness largely depends on exactly how drunk you get. getting drunk for the sake of getting drunk is good times! especially if there's a game of Scrabble or Mario Kart involved. once you hit the vomit wall, though, you're firmly in dumb territory.

I've only gotten to the point of serious vomitation once, and I have no intention of going back there.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
that green dreen was absinthe, likely. I used to drink it all the time in Japan. But i absolutely love the taste,so..
You're a goddamn liar.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:34 AM
gatchapon 3*

i found a bar in san jose that has absinthe. I had two shots of it tonight. God, i missed that taste.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:02 AM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Next time I'm drunk I'm going to do my best to find a computer just so I can share it with you guys.

Don't say I never do nice things.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:19 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Protip: don't drink half a bottle of jagermeister within the span of an hour. Just...just trust me on this one. BAD things will happen.

Also, fun fact: absinthe is legal in America again. I remember reading something in the paper about it a while back. But it's only certain kinds or something. I dunno. My point is, absinthe is overrated. I've admittedly only had it once but it wasn't anything special. I'll give it another try someday I guess.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 AM

I blame the 17th century.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:08 AM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Also, fun fact: absinthe is legal in America again. I remember reading something in the paper about it a while back. But it's only certain kinds or something. I dunno. My point is, absinthe is overrated. I've admittedly only had it once but it wasn't anything special. I'll give it another try someday I guess.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Absinth with no 'e' at the end? All without thujone. I should probably get some absinthe since it is all legal here, but oh well.

I've only thrown up twice since September. I am growing up!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:59 AM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
My point is, absinthe is overrated. I've admittedly only had it once but it wasn't anything special. I'll give it another try someday I guess.
This is what I took away from my one experience with it as well...of course, I wasn't drinking back then and only had a sip, and I thought all alcohol tasted like ass back then (to be fair, most of it still does). I 'spose I'll give it a shot (hah!) again some day.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Minnesota Nice

Yah, there's Absinthe in the U.S., but apparently it is the toned down version. It's not made with wormwood, which supposedly gives endows the green liquid with hallucinatory effects. That said, I don't know if it's still made anywhere.

They say you see green fairies, which could be a fun alternative to wobbly vision and spinning rooms.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Minnesota Nice

And I haven't tossed since........maybe around a year ago? That was unpleasant. I was on the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road for all of you, um, not East Coasters). We had to change cars.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Level 10 Roustabout/Knave

My knuckleheads since small times are about to be up in here, AND it's spring break, so I plan on getting amazingly unafraid of the police.

But then again, I gave myself alcohol poisoning last weekend, so I should probably keep it easy for a bit
Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 PM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Awesome View Post
But then again, I gave myself alcohol poisoning last weekend, so I should probably keep it easy for a bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Awesome View Post
so I should probably keep it easy for a bit
Moar like CJ Lame, 'mirite?

Tags
alcohol , beer goggles , beer googles , druuuuuuuuuunk! , hic , i love you man , intoxication nation , none more embarrassing , poor decisions , self-medicating , soiling oneself , sunday morning , the best of tt , typos , worthwhile decisions